What eating plan has helped you lose at least 30 lbs?

Options

Replies

• rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    I still eat bascially what I did before, but just much smaller portions. I stay with the calorie/per day MFP says (most days) and exercise 6 days per week. I don't feel deprived, and have lost 10.4lbs in 3 weeks.

14285388.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I cut out white flour and anything with processed sugar.

This is how I started and pretty much maintain now.

In the end it is calories in/ calories out but the white stuff adds up QUICK so I avoid it like the plague.
  • mroper
    mroper Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I eat normal food. That's all. No magic eating plan. All those magic eating plans just trick you into eating a calorie deficit, so eat the foods you like, just watch your calorie totals.

Exactly. I have lost almost 30 pounds by eating smaller portions. That's it. I still drink wine, have dessert, etc (not every day, of course).

I agree with these two comments. I have lost 25 pounds since October just by cutting my portions and exercising. I have not cut out any one food group or type completely. I just dont plan to live the rest of my life that way so why do it now? Why not go ahead and learn a new way to live for the long haul?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Just keeping an eye on intake versus output. I do tend to stay away from a lot of carbs, only because I think of them as wasted calories. I can have a huge salad with 4 ounces of turkey or chicken on it that's delicious for approximately 200 calories including my salad dressing or I can have a sandwich for 300 calories with 2 slices of white wheat bread and 4 ounces of turkey breast.

Same with dinner, I'd rather have a heaping plate of veggies than one slice of italian bread.
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I never went on a diet and I lost around 30-35lbs. All I did was cut portions done, focused on eating healthier choices. I also exercised intensely 3-4times a week, or more if I could afford the time. It's about a lifestyle change, not a diet. After I lost the weight I changed to a vegetarian lifestyle and that has seemed to help me maintain the current weight I am in.
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Eating CLEAN.

I learned how to do this through the HCG diet. Please no judgmental comments. To each his own. For me, it taught me how to eat CLEAN foods to simply fuel my body.

I lost 33 lbs in 45 days and now I am maintaining it and will take the things I learned while doing HCG diet and implement them into my every day life.

If you don't wish to do any extreme diet like HCG, then you won't lose the weight that fast, but you can take tips from diets like that, and use them.

Tips: Drink TONS OF WATER. I drink a gallon a day. Or half my body weight in oz. EVERY DAY. Eat clean, no preservatives, only "good" sugars and carbs. Eat lean meats. Get a food scale, weigh everything you eat for accuracy. Cut out all bad sugars, starches, fats. If you want quick results, cut out most dairies and oils for a while this will also help your body detox and drop more weight. Weigh yourself EVERY morning, after you urinate, before you drink or eat. This will give you your true body weight. Just don't get discouraged if you gain or stall. ANYTHING can effect your weight on a daily level. You will fluctuate. Stay the course, and as long as you keep going down in weight then you're ok. Weighing yourself every morning gives you an idea of what kinds of foods will effect you positively or negatively. Stay away from "diet" pre-packaged meals. Eat high protein, high fiber, fresh foods. Watch your sodium intake.

I've learned almost all these things from the HCG diet. It truly taught me how to change my eating habits for life.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    As others have said, I've lost 30-something pounds (I'm not really sure/don't really care what the number is) by eating normal food. That means pizza (and yes, sometimes stuffed crust), chocolate milk, wine, cookies and bread as well as chicken breasts, veggies, nuts, yoghurt and a variety of healthier things.

I would have put most if not all back on if I hadn't carried on enjoying food.
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Well I just started my journey 3 weeks ago with a goal of 36 lbs by sept. 1 - I have lost 8 lbs so far - just using MFP calories in and calories out - I exercise 2-4 times a week .... and I am full and have to make myself eat my calories sometimes .... normal food just no fried no butter no creamy dressings or sauces ... so far so good ..... we will see!
  • sdtjwp
    sdtjwp Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Here here! You better believe that if my family is going out to dinner, I am still going to eat what I want. I still eat dessert. I have just watched the calories and when I know that we are going out to dinner, I look at the website and do some calorie checking. When I ate most of my meal previously, I am now eating half and taking the rest home for lunch the next day. I still eat what I like, just watching portions and calories. I also do a mean exercise on days where I am eating out! It really helps! I can definitely tell a difference and I am almost down another pants size!!!
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just hit 30.5 pounds lost on Monday! I have been following MFP, no "diet plan" so to speak of - just staying within the calorie and other (fat/protein/carb) guidelines recommended by MFP. And exercising. I started the beginning of October, so 30 pounds lost in about 3 months.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I eat food in normal portions, I eat burgers, pizza etc.. its about moderation and exercise.
  • PaulaButHag
    Options
    I do follow a Low Carb/High Protein diet. I have been on this plan since April of 2011. This is my new life-style. I watch my portions on everything and exercise.
  • JessicaEPope
    JessicaEPope Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've lost 41lbs now by reducing my portion sizes and cutting down on fried foods.

Seeing how many calories and other macros are in my food using MFP really helped me open my eyes to the sheer ammount of food i was consuming every day, however I can't do 1200 calories per day, my job is too physical and i end up really grouchy, so I eat more but try to keep it healthy.

Good luck!
  • chelljo12
    chelljo12 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I do follow a Low Carb/High Protein diet. I have been on this plan since April of 2011. This is my new life-style. I watch my portions on everything and exercise.

this is what I do as well, started 12/2/11 and down 18lbs so far, had a rough patch around Christmas. I also drink half my weight in ounces of water.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned calories in / calories out..that is so true. I try to aim for 1200 calories but if i eat 1500 calories i dont worry about it and some days, (once every 2 weeks or so) i eat 2500 calories, but i also fast once a month for 24 hours. The reason is I keep my body guessing. I do like low carb diets but that doesnt mean 20grams of carbs a day..you can eat 50 grams of carbs a day, but healthy carbs. the reason for me at least why i try not to eat too many carbs is that i have a carb addiction. I know if i snack on crap,,im gonna crave more crap. I do stay away from bleached flour etc. Chicken and fish and lean pork are my main staple. Eggwhites and whole wheat toast for breakfast. I do change it up every so often and might have a bagel. Yes bagels are bad but once in a blue moon oh well. I lost 38 lbs and I do cardio everyday. Cardio is important as it raises your BMR.

I like this comment, I do most of this but I dont eat pork or beef.
  • andy_gilfrin
    Options
    I do ultra low-carb but I'm under no illusion that the reason I have lost the weight is through a calorie deficit. You need to find something you can stick with and gives you the right result, whatever that might be.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I just do calorie counting. Also I've gone to a higher protein/complex carbs approach, but honestly I don't strictly follow it. I try to make healthier choices as much as possible but if I get a craving for something I just have a small portion of it. No plan, really :)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I use a common sense approach . I don't cut out any major food group and I don't participate in habits I know I can't or am not willing to maintain for the rest of my life. Otherwise, I'm just setting myself up to fail for long-term weight management.

I do try to opt for healtheir choices - lots of fruits and veggies, lean proteins versus fatty ones, whole grains versus processed carbs. I drink lots of liquids, moderate my serving sizes and exercise on a regular basis. That and I keep an eye on calories in and calories out.

That's it - no complicated or gimicky diets involving shakes, cutting out major food groups or eating from only one food group, additional supplements, etc. Simply good nutrition in moderate serving sizes and exercise.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out.
    I try to keep my meals at a ratio of 1 serving protein, 1 serving carb, 2 servings fruits/veggies (sometimes only 1 at lunch time). I wokout 6 days a week.

I wish I could do this...I LOVE carbs and HATE fruits! LOL!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I eat normal food. That's all. No magic eating plan. All those magic eating plans just trick you into eating a calorie deficit, so eat the foods you like, just watch your calorie totals.

this