Cannot do it!

Options
I have been doing this for about 3 weeks. I exercise 3-4 times a week about 300- each time. stay within my goal of 1220 calories. But I stay within the same 3 pounds. I'm 5'7 and 180lbs. I don't go over that weight but I cannot get below 177lbs. Why can't I lose?

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Try eating more.

Get thyroid checked.

Get insulin levels checked.

Make sure sodium intake isn't too high.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. You may be eating more then you think. Portion control is key.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    First off: YES YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :flowerforyou:

There, now that that's out of the way - The advice that's already been given is great stuff, so I'll just say: stick with it, and never give up on yourself. You're worth the effort!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! My trainer warned us all that the first three weeks we might not see anything happen because our bodies are trying to figure out what's happening and whether we really mean it this time.

Definitely up your calories and see what happens. Increase by a couple hundred, and if you don't see a change, try a couple hundred more. It sounds crazy, but it's true - you need to properly fuel your fat-burning machine. :smile:

(From one who stalled at 1200, lost all right at 1400 or so, now on 1800 with exercise and losing.)
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You may be losing inches first. That is usually what happens. I lost 10 inches off my waist before I started noticing a loss.
  • tboothgenthe
    Options
    I was having the same thing happen and I upped by calories to 1400 - didn't eat my workout calories and have already lost 1 pound in 2 days.

That's the advice I got and it worked - 1400 calories - don't eat back your burned and eat all your calories. I also am now staying away from "bad carbs" I can't tell you that this did it or if it were just time for me to finally start losing but I'm down 1 pound in 2 days.
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to offer except support. I'm 5'9"and 184. I've been doing this for months and have gained and lost the same 4lbs over and over. Just don't give up. If you quit, where will you be in a year? At least where you are now, so keep up with it and keep at it. Take some of the excellent advice above and give it a try. What have you got to lose? Good luck!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    how many calorie are you eating ? are you eating your exercise calories? are you drinking enough water?

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    You may be losing inches first. That is usually what happens. I lost 10 inches off my waist before I started noticing a loss.

I agree. Measure yourself for awhile rather than weighing yourself, since muscle gain may make you heavier, but smaller. Then after a couple of months at the most, you should start to see the scale budge.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for about 3 weeks. I exercise 3-4 times a week about 300- each time. stay within my goal of 1220 calories. But I stay within the same 3 pounds. I'm 5'7 and 180lbs. I don't go over that weight but I cannot get below 177lbs. Why can't I lose?

It has only been 3 weeks. Relax! it took me a month.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for about 3 weeks. I exercise 3-4 times a week about 300- each time. stay within my goal of 1220 calories.

Have a pie! Lol. Seriously, up your calories a bit, maybe to 1,400.

Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • toniisaacs
    Options
    What exercises are you doing? Your body likes different exercises, it doesn't like to keep doing the same thing over and over again.
  • Beth429
    Beth429 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!! I am the exact same way!! First off, it may be your thyroid. It may not fully be hypo but if you take the supplement sea kelp it helps regulate any abnormalties! Next I recommend a book called Eating 4 Your Blood Type! Even though you are eating healthy things, you may be eating the wrong healthy things your body needs!!! :)
  • newlaura30
    Options
    you can and you are!!!! your doing it just by being on here my suggestions would be
    1 check your recording all your calories, sometimes bites of this or that add up
    2 i think you should eat some more. we have to eat to loose even just a piece of fruit or things like that can make a big difference
    3 keep at it and give yourself some more time it can sometimes take your body a while to get used to the change so it holds on to fat incase your starving it.
  • kelnort
    kelnort Posts: 17
    Options
    not sure if you have tried this yet, but eat every 2 hours. make sure each snack and meal is between 200-300 calories, 6 times a day. that will help boost your metabolism. i actually had to set my alarm on my phone to go off every 2 hours. I drop anything i am doing and eat even if i am not hungry. it helped a lot. good luck :)
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I don't know how old you are or how long you've been at your current weight..........but, I started this journey in Mid-August. Lost a few lbs at first, and then it just kinda stopped...............was really disappointing and I was very unhappy, but I thought to myself "you are almost 57 years old. It took you YEARS to get to over 180 lbs........what makes you think you can lose 40 lbs in a month?"

And I calmed myself down, took more walks, logged foods whether I went over or under....and kept on keepin' on.

I"ve lost 22 total lbs. I'm not too worried that it's taken 6 months.........I plan to be around a while, and in another 6 months, I KNOW I'll be at my first goal. Sounds good to me!

I want to make lifestyle changes that I can DO........forever. It's working :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Stay focused don't give up, I struggle with the same 10 pounds for over a year. This made me mad and almost gave up, however I have a wonder trainier who is guiding me and currently I lost 4 pounds and yes it is still with in the same 10 pounds that i struggle with however I am doubling up my workout, eating healthier and feeling great. Do i have fear that I won't get the weight off yes, but I am determined to stay with his guideance and move forward. I am hoping to get my goal weight of 145 by Oct.... but I hope it will be sooner...
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can...giving up is not an option!!!

It takes me a while to lose or gain, it sucks, but after a while I found out what works, now the bodyfat is melting off.

There is no "can not or can't" allowed here!
  • neclar
    neclar Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can...giving up is not an option!!!

It takes me a while to lose or gain, it sucks, but after a while I found out what works, now the bodyfat is melting off.

There is no "can not or can't" allowed here!

Love this and totally agree. keep going and don't quit.
  • chriscoates7025
    chriscoates7025 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Be patient. When you first start working out, it can take 6-8 weeks for the weight to start falling off. It has to do with your body adjusting. I just learned ths from my trainer.