What eating plan has helped you lose at least 30 lbs?

Options

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I eat normal food. That's all. No magic eating plan. All those magic eating plans just trick you into eating a calorie deficit, so eat the foods you like, just watch your calorie totals.

Exactly. I have lost almost 30 pounds by eating smaller portions. That's it. I still drink wine, have dessert, etc (not every day, of course).

I agree with these two comments. I have lost 25 pounds since October just by cutting my portions and exercising. I have not cut out any one food group or type completely. I just dont plan to live the rest of my life that way so why do it now? Why not go ahead and learn a new way to live for the long haul?

This is pretty much what I do as well. I have not really 'cut out' anything feeling like I 'have' to to be 'on a diet'. I've made my portions smaller (i.e. actualy correct portion sizes) and I've substituted in some healthier choices here and there - specifically more fresh produce and having grilled chicken instead of fried chicken or burgers, simply b/c those were huge calorie expenditures for me before, but those items are not off-limits, I simply choose what I need to choose each day based on the calories I have available (my goal on here right now is 1370, but with my exercise credit I normally get to eat somewhere between 1600-2000 each day and still lose weight steadily, no plateaus). But I still enjoy most of the things I used to enjoy, just in smaller portions or not quite as often.

I do eat more protein than MFP recommends, largely b/c it helps me feel full longer. More fiber too. I don't stress over carbs or fat, if I'm over on those recommendations it does not bother me and it also has not affected my weightloss. I started last July and I'm down 35 lbs. I started out losing 2 lbs per week but steadily decreased that rate as I got closer to my goal - I'm at 1/2 lb per week now (although sometimes I still lose faster than that). I have done this by sticking close to the calorie goal that MFP gives me, and eating my exercise calories when I workout. But I don't stress out over the 'diet' aspect, I just stick close to my calories and try to make better choices than I did before.

Also, I don't view my calorie goal as a limit that's written in stone that I'm not allowed to go over. Some days I go over a little, some days I go under a little, occasionally I'll have a day where I go over A LOT and then I'll go a little under for a couple of days to balance it out. You don't have to be perfect all the time to see results. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :-)
  • mmsexybetty
    mmsexybetty Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs. a few years ago on Weight Watchers. I'm happy that I joined MFP because now I can keep track of my calories and see whether or not I'm within my calorie goal for the day. I love being able to have everything broken down for me.
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers On Line. 6 years ago. Lost 48 lbs. Found 20 over time. I'm doing well on MFP. Its free, and there are great supportive -real people here. :smile:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    eat less move more
  • MSPINKDESIRE
    Options
    In 2006, I followed the strict 3-day diet for about 7 months. While on this diet, you would follow the diet for 3 consecutive days, then eat 'whatever' you want for the next 4. Again, I was on this diet week after week for months. Many say this isn't a good diet, but my dietitian friend stated otherwise. I went from 210lbs to 135 in 7 months. From a size 18 to a size 6. Now, I'm using MFP to help me lose the last 10lbs. Good luck!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Just basic MFP. more so calories than anything else. like others have said, calories in vs. calories out.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb, I've done weight watchers...but nothing has worked as well as MFP.

I follow the basic recommendations for MFP. I started with 2lbs a week goal when I lived close to the gym. Now that I moved far away from a gym, I changed it to 1lb a week because I can only run on a treadmill and I don't burn as many calories with running only. I really only pay attention to the calories not the carbs, protiens and fats. I glance at them but I would go crazy trying to monitor those too.

One thing I do, is I allow myself at least one "cheat" meal a week. Sometimes two. Before I moved, we ordered pizza every monday night...we made adjustments like thin crust and cutting the extra cheese and stuff. We also looked at different companies to see which had the least calories.

I also save enough calories for a sugar snack later. Like a granola bar or a piece of chocolate or a serving of frozen yogurt.

I've lost 50lbs so it's working :)
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds eating clean and sticking to 1200 calories per day net.

Allowable foods include:

- Oatmeal
    - Brown Rice
    - Black Beans or Kidney Beans
    - Greek Yogurt
    - V8 juice
    - Whey Protein
    - Flax seeds and oil
    - Olive Oil
    - Cottage Cheese
    - Fish & Shrimp
    - Grilled chicken

I also worked out everyday for about an hour.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    For the past week or so, I've been eating "clean" for the most part (not too many processed foods, and when I eat them they are usually organic.) I have to say, I feel great doing so and do not miss processed food :) I haven't seen results yet because, well, it's only been a week, but I FEEL great! The key to staying away from processed foods (IF you want to, that is) is making everything from scratch. Really it isn't that hard, especially if you like to cook.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    For myself, none. I just finally in September of 2011 started watching te amount of food I consumed. I measure all my foods & portions. I try not to drink my calories and I don't eat fast food. Im also not the biggest sweets fan but evey now and then I do enjoy ice cream. Again just control and learning to be full before I stuff my face. I haven't deprived myself of anything really and I feel that's why I've been successful. I learned control ( for most part)! I just weighted in this weekend with my 30 pounds lost!
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    So far I've lost 41.5lbs. I use the MFP calorie goal and stay at/around it, usually eating back 80% of my exercise calories, but making sure not to go over 1400 total. I also cut out white bread/pasta or anything with white enriched flour and I stick to whole wheatwhole grain things. I read all the labels of the foods I buy, and try to stick to things without labels (fresh fruits/veggies) I recently cut out red meat as well. I could never do low carb or anything like that because I love food and eventually I would be eating them again and wouldn't want to risk gaining back the weight. Oh, and I have a serving of milled flaxseed once a day.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what the ratios are, as long as you stay within your calorie goal. I had/have to limit my protein to 15% due to kidney stones, and I lost 37 pounds by staying with 1200 net calories.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I eat normal food. That's all. No magic eating plan. All those magic eating plans just trick you into eating a calorie deficit, so eat the foods you like, just watch your calorie totals.

Exactly. I have lost almost 30 pounds by eating smaller portions. That's it. I still drink wine, have dessert, etc (not every day, of course).

Same as both of these. I just stick to the calorie recomendations on this site. I do agree with the quote about these eating plans just tricking you into a calorie deficit. If you pull apart the diets you realise that the reason you lose it that you are cutting something out.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I started out on WW & lost 50+lbs in about 9 months. I am currently maintaining on MFP.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Whole food vegan (low salt, low sugar and moderate fat). And by moderate fat, I mean less than 20% calories from fat, and mostly healthy fat from whole foods.
  • Tebrown9500
    Tebrown9500 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This makes sense to save a resonable amount of calories to share in with the family dinner. Trying to be mindful of my sugar, carb intake. I have found that my cereal of choice (honey nut cherios) has been putting me over my suggested sugar intake along with my "very vanilla" soy milk. have to make a few adjustments. other than that I am moving along with staying within my daily cal (1,210). this is the beinning of my third week and I have lost 2 lbs. :blushing:
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    MFP calorie counting and better foods! I feel amazing! I don't exercise like I should, but I've been losing 6-10 lbs/mo. I will incorporate more when my knee is better. :-)
  • michaeltoye
    Options
    i stuck to between 1200 and 1500 calories a day. i stopped eating meat during the week, by taste choice, not calorie choice. very little in the way of breads and pastas and alcohol. my only sugars came from fruit and dark chocolate ;-)

so, lots of beans, green salad, prawns, eggs, couscous, rice cakes, peanut butter and other fish.

I don't eat breakfast either.

I lost 2.5lb a week since mid august 2011.

oh, and once a week, on a sunday, a disgustingly large lamb roast meal. i mean, very full for about 3 hours after big.
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Ditto! I've lost 41 lbs by sticking with MFP's basic plan and working out 4 days a week. There are no magic bullets. Lower your intake and exercise.
  • o0IrishEyes0o
    o0IrishEyes0o Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I cut out white flour and anything with processed sugar.

This is how I started and pretty much maintain now.

In the end it is calories in/ calories out but the white stuff adds up QUICK so I avoid it like the plague.

I third this! I eat lots of lean protein and fresh (or frozen) veggies. Nothing with preservatives added, no processed sugar. (I eat hardly any sugar at all actualy). I lost all my baby weight (Went from 180 to 140) in about 3 months... and kept it off just fine even when I went back to having more carbs again.

It was only when i started eating out 5 nights a week that I gained weight back,... and even then it took a while. So the sustainability depends on how reasonable you are after a low carb diet. If you start eating Chik Fil A, McDonalds, Pizza, Mozzeralla sticks etc 6 nights a week... yeah... you are gonna blow up (I did... gained 20lbs over 8 months). But if you eat reasonably... choose smart carbs when you can (brown rice, don't eat mash 5 times a week, lol).... you'll be fine :)

Low carb is not as evil as some people here seem to think :)