Diet Soda Cake?

Options
sarahp86
sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
So my friend told me about this recipe the other day but I'm a bit skeptical it will work. My friends birthday is this week so I'd like to do something for her but I'm a disaster when it comes to following instructions! This seems fairly fool proof!!

Just wondering if it works? Has anyone tried it?

This is pretty much recipe⬇

Chocolate Soda Cake
(approx 130 - 170 cals a serving depending on brand)

12 servings
40 min 10 min prep

1 package chocolate cake mix
1 can diet cola/soda

Mix dry cake mix with soda. Don't pay any attention to adding oil, egg, etc.
Pour into floured cake pans, bunt pan, muffin tins, etc.
Bake according to directions on box.

Replies

• audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it, but I've heard several people at my work that have tried it with sprite, Dr. Pepper and regular coke and says it's really good. One girl said she had always wanted to use Diet Coke.
    I'm sure it will be fine...what if you used Diet Dr. Pepper to give it a little more of a sweet taste??
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i hear they came out with a vanilla coke zero.

hmmm that might be pretty delish!
  • tangie82
    tangie82 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I tried it for christmas. It was pretty good. Instead of cake, I made cupcakes. I used devils food cake mix and diet cream soda.
  • dellgriffin
    Options
    We have done this with Pillsbury Sugar Free Devils Food cake mix and diet Dr. Pepper.
    Dust with powder sugar (lightly) and cocoa. Top with Fat free whipped topping.
    Approximately 85 calories for a cupcake that weighs with the wrapper 40grams.

We also have done Pillsbury Sugar Free Yellow cake mix with Diet Sunkist. Zested a whole orange into the dry mix before adding the soda. Smelled and tasted like an orange dream pops. Topped with Fat free whipped topping a bit more orange zest and a "cutie" slice.

I would caution you to add an egg white to the mix to help it stay together. It comes out a bit crumbly due to the lack of a protein binder and fat.
  • Christinaray
    Christinaray Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I did this for my husbands birthday. I took german choc cake mix 12 oz of diet coke or pepsi whichever I had at that time. Put in pan let bake just like box says. Topped with cool whip and peanut butter. I mixed a tbsp of peanut butter with about 3/4 of ansmall cool whip. Very good
  • mdorman8313
    mdorman8313 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine posted this recipe on facebook. Similar to your recipe, with an addition of 2 egg whites:

"just a box of cake (strawberry, use diet big red) chocolate (use diet coke or diet dr pepper, or diet root beer) 2 egg whites, 10oz of the soda, & mix. bake according to box. and literally calories are cut by 75%."
  • Mypadrooga711
    Options
    I've done this LOTS of times. Diet Dr. Pepper gives the nicest taste. And NO ONE but you has to know it's diet. The cake comes out more like brownies. I always called it my Dr. Pepper brownies. Hope you enjoy them. I, too, have been recipe challenged, but simple ones like this one are hard to mess up. Enjoy.
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I've done this with chocolate cake and a can of diet coke. It works great, and no one even realizes it's only 2 simple ingredients :)
  • estjames
    Options
    You can pretty much do any diet pop and cake mix. Using fat free whipped cream makes a better frosting too since it is lower in cals. My favorite combination is funfetti + diet sprite with strawberry cream topping (puree strawberries then fold into whipped cream).
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    my mom used to make it all the time when she was going to WW. always yummy.
  • Sweetncgal78
    Sweetncgal78 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I heard about this back a few years ago in WW. It turns out great considering that you used a diet soda vs. oil / butter/ eggs. I too made cup cakes for they're potability.
  • elaff1
    elaff1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this, but i have tried replacing the oil needed for cake with applesauce, and it was just as delicious.
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Tebrown9500
    Tebrown9500 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have never tried this but I think I will. Which soda would you suggest using for banana oat muffins?
    To make barbecue sauce, you can also use diet coke (zero) and ketchup. very taste.
  • karaemoore
    karaemoore Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have made this and my friends had no idea it was "diet"!! I have also made a vanilla cake with a can of diet cream soda. Sooooo good!!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    OMG, I really want to try this.
  • sweetmommy215
    Options
    I made this last night. I used Pillsbury Supreme Moist Devil's Food Cake mix and one 12 oz can of Diet Dr. Pepper. I made 18 cupcakes. As odd as it sounds, they are soooo good! My 10 yr old son loves them. With the ingredients I used, my cupcakes were 107 calories, 23g carbs, 2g fat and 1g protein/cupcake. I am a chocolate cake fiend and wasn't sure how I was going to cut it out of my diet..........now I don't have to!!!!
  • robincloud09
    Options
    I've tried it several times. Just made cupcakes over the weekend. It makes them moist and they are AWESOME!! :))
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and didn't like it at all. Back in '09, everyone on MFP was raving about it, but I found it had a terrible artificial-sweetener aftertaste. << That was with chocolate cake mix and diet coke. I'm thinking a white cake with orange soda might be nice.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts so I may be repeating. This is a recipe that I used when I was on WW. You use any diet soda. For the light colored cakes use Diet 7-up. Dark cakes you can use Dr. Pepper, Pepsi or Coke. Diet of course. It's really pretty good. I added a bit more flour as I live at a high altitude. Enjoy:flowerforyou: