Anti-Cheese Billboards.. Really?? (pic)

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I watched a movie this week that changed my mind about diary. I'm not a vegan, I don't get nearly enough plant protein nor enough fruits and vegetables because I like others believed all the BS that said we need to eat dairy in the first place. Don't think of these ads as trying to reverse peoples thinking, I see it as correcting a wrong that we were all led to believe. If you have a chance watch "Fork over Knives", I found it on NetFlix. Then post your thoughts.

Forks Over Knives was made by the guy running the organization that put out this ad.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    <--- eats cheese
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    "Your thighs on a calorific surplus"

Hate this ill informed nonesense

Haha, love it. Its the truth, they could be eating salad and look like that, depending on how much they ate.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    what a horrible ad campaign. Cheese didn't make me fat. I made me fat. Now I am making myself thin and yestI ahve cut some of the cheese from my diet but not all of it. BTW I haven't cut all the lindor truffles either b/c it not the chocolets fault either.

The doctors behind this campaign are just giving people excuses for beign fat instead of having them take responsibilty for what they do to their own bodies.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    cheese-ads-article.jpg

"Did These Anti-Cheese Billboards Go Too Far? - The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine's new anti-obesity ad campaign targets cheese as the culprit is causing quite a stir. But is it the right message?"

Are you kidding me?? Yes, they have gone too far! These campaigns make it seem like human beings are not capable of this thing called MODERATION. Instead, The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine goes straight into shock therapy, and tries to scary people out of eating cheese.

Things like this really grind my gears! Am I the only one to feel this way??

( To see the article: http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/0124/did-these-cheese-billboards-go-too-far.aspx?xid=aol_eh-diet_11_20120123_&amp;aolcat=EFG&amp;icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl11|sec1_lnk2&pLid=129957 )

What none of you realise is that these poor people are obviously cheese addicts and have taken to injecting melted cheese directly under the skin this is known as "Chuffing the Cheddar" and is extremely addictive. Every time you "Chuff the Cheddar" you can gain up to 5 lbs. There is a growing concern among dairy farmers that they will have to put warnings on their cows as some addicts believe they can get a "cleaner" high if they inject straight from the cow.

My name is Maureen and I am a cheese addict
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Milk is linked to obesity, heart disease, cataracts, cancer (ovarian, breast, and prostate), Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, arthritis/joint pain, allergy/headaches/back pain, Crohn's disease, infertility, severe menstrual cramps, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (basically mad-cow disease in humans), and tuberculosis.

I'd love to see your proof of this - milk doesn't have anything to do with most of these things. It is just propoganda and misinformation. Where is the scientific research that leads you to say this?
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I watched a movie this week that changed my mind about diary. I'm not a vegan, I don't get nearly enough plant protein nor enough fruits and vegetables because I like others believed all the BS that said we need to eat dairy in the first place. Don't think of these ads as trying to reverse peoples thinking, I see it as correcting a wrong that we were all led to believe. If you have a chance watch "Fork over Knives", I found it on NetFlix. Then post your thoughts.

A wrong we were all led to believe? What, because milk ads are frequent? NOBODY WAS LED TO BELIEVE WE NEEDED CHEESE.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    What none of you realise is that these poor people are obviously cheese addicts and have taken to injecting melted cheese directly under the skin this is known as "Chuffing the Cheddar" and is extremely addictive. Every time you "Chuff the Cheddar" you can gain up to 5 lbs. There is a growing concern among dairy farmers that they will have to put warnings on their cows as some addicts believe they can get a "cleaner" high if they inject straight from the cow.

Hahahaha, I'll keep my eye out for you on Intervention! :laugh:
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options

ROFLMAO
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Let me just say, as a vegan, that the PCRM is/was a very great group, who have done amazing research and have helped many people reach a healthy lifestyle. HOWEVER, these ads have even ticked off the vegan community...vegan pages on Facebook and other sites are all lashing out at PCRM over these ads, basically saying that cheese makes you fat...like there's no such thing as a chubby vegan or something. As a proud chubby vegan, I apologize for these ads. They make us all look like crazy as$holes, but we're not, I promise!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Great. Just great. This post made me dip into my lunch and enjoy my ounce of cheese. It was delicious!

Goodness gracious, I love cheese!
  • ViolaEverAfter
    ViolaEverAfter Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    <
    these arms fueled by cheese.

LOL!:laugh:
  • cafard79
    Options
    I think its the wording to be honest it shouldn't say 'your abs on cheese' it should be more like 'your abs on fast food'. I work in the UK healthcare sector myself and think that the advisors for this campaign are completely stupid as cheese is not th culprit here and they need to be careful about scaremongering. Especially young kids that may stop eating a healthy balanced diet by eliminating cheese type dairy products etc.

I am just not convinced that cheese is necessary for a healthy balanced diet. If the recommended serving size is that one inch cube of cheese per day, which is minuscule, then it seems it could just as well be done without. And like someone said earlier - who eats just a one inch cube of cheese? People either eat none, or way more than that. And none seems to be the healthier option. I am not against the eating of cheese, but it does seem like something we'd be better off avoiding altogether.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Huh? when I LIVED in Italy, I recall eating VERY little cheese. Pasta, yes, lots of pasta. Cheese...not so much. I did lose weight while I was living there too. However, my guess is because we walked absolutely EVERYWHERE.

I have to agree here. When I lived in France, where we DID eat a lot of cheese, there were still other factors to include:

1. Walking everywhere
    2. Less 'crap' injected into food
    3. General aversion to fast food
    4. Smaller portions...

As Americans, we cannot compare ourselves to Europeans on this one point. There are many lifestyle factors there that are different, so while an abundance of cheese for them might not pose a problem, it definitely does for us.

Oh ya, good point...i can probably count on one hand the number of times I went out to eat while I lived there, and those were while I was visiting London. Even when we took an overnight trip to Rome, we packed our breakfast and lunch or went to a grocery store and bought things to assemble a picnic instead of eating fast food. In America if I took an 8 hour train ride to spend one day somewhere I'd be eating at McD's or Taco Bell...not getting groceries or packing a sandwich. It has a lot to do with the culture.

This reminiscing is making me miss Europe...sigh...
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Huh? when I LIVED in Italy, I recall eating VERY little cheese. Pasta, yes, lots of pasta. Cheese...not so much. I did lose weight while I was living there too. However, my guess is because we walked absolutely EVERYWHERE.

I have to agree here. When I lived in France, where we DID eat a lot of cheese, there were still other factors to include:

1. Walking everywhere
    2. Less 'crap' injected into food
    3. General aversion to fast food
    4. Smaller portions...

As Americans, we cannot compare ourselves to Europeans on this one point. There are many lifestyle factors there that are different, so while an abundance of cheese for them might not pose a problem, it definitely does for us.

Exactly. When I visited both France and Italy for a study abroad I hardly ever had fast food. Why? Because it was FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE! :noway: Especially McDonald's

We had to walk everywhere we went and there were so many fresh markets around so I always went there instead of Supermarkets. I hardly ate any processed foods while I was there.

And I ate a lot of cheese in France but not in Italy. A lot of bread in France! Lol!

But I love cheese and will always love cheese. This ad looks more comical than it was meant to try to convince people off the stuff.:ohwell:

edit: I wish I could go back to Europe to lose weight. =\ Liked their fresh food markets a lot more.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options

Forks Over Knives was made by the guy running the organization that put out this ad.

Thank you for pointing that out. A friend of mine told me about Forks Over Knives and I was thinking about checking it out.. Think I will pass now. This ad is just non sense. Cheese didn't make me fat, I made me fat.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    cheese is also loaded with sodium ,fat ,cholesterol and calories.It is also the number one source of bad fat.

Contrary to popular belief, dietary fat and cholesterol is not bad for you. We need both of those things to function. The only "bad fat" is trans fat.

i disagree..any fat that solidifies when it cools is not good for the arteries.

http://www.realjock.com/article/1020
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Let me just say, as a vegan, that the PCRM is/was a very great group, who have done amazing research and have helped many people reach a healthy lifestyle. HOWEVER, these ads have even ticked off the vegan community...vegan pages on Facebook and other sites are all lashing out at PCRM over these ads, basically saying that cheese makes you fat...like there's no such thing as a chubby vegan or something. As a proud chubby vegan, I apologize for these ads. They make us all look like crazy as$holes, but we're not, I promise!

this ("bold" by me.)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I cringe every time I see people posting stuff from PCRM. They act like they're a group of doctor's concerned about health and nutrition, but really they a radical animal rights group, sort of like PETA. As I understand, the membership of PCRM is actually less than 5% from the medical profession.

The American Medical Association (AMA), which actually represents the medical profession, has called PCRM a "fringe organization" that uses "unethical tactics" and is "interested in perverting medical science." The PCRM is nothing more than a collection of medical disinformation.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options

...agreed!!! well, okay, I AM crazy, yes...but I'm not an *kitten*! ;) lol