Alli - Anyone ever try this weight loss drug?

Options
2»

Replies

• annemarieuga
    Options
    It really is that scary....I tried it. It's a horrible feeling....
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Buy black pants and underwear too. Stains show up less that way!

Depends really are the way to go.
  • acrue21
    acrue21 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Alli helped me with my food habits and i lost weight while on it. You start your low fat diet a week before starting the pills to lessen the side effects(runny oily stools) I began taking the pill over the weekend when i was away from the public because of the side effects i heard. I really watched what i ate and i didn't have the explosive effects. If you eat right while on it , it will lessen those awful side effects. After about a month on it i developted sever stomach pains! So i stopped taking it. I also dont have a gallbladder and the medicine said if you've had gallbladder disease not to take it. Hope this helps
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I thought about for about 3 minutes when it first came out, and on the package it said to be sure to wear brown pants and always have an extra pair with you. Sounds nasty. It is not worth it. Excercise and good nutrietion will get you there.
  • ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Xenical, which is similar but (I think) stronger. It worked really well for me for a few months but some of the success I had with it was probably due to the fact that I was terrified of eating anything with a high fat content. In the end I gave up, I wasn't really in the right frame of mind to change my lifestyle at the time and it doesn't work on its own as a quick fix.
  • Rebecca_87
    Rebecca_87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used it in the past but after getting tired of having to clean the toilet every time I used it because of the oil and worrying if I was going to have an accident or not I stopped using it. It works as a conditioner to stop eating really fatty foods, because the less fat you eat the less of the negative effects, but in all I never saw much of a difference between taking it while watching my food intake and just watching what I ate without the Alli. For ~$60 a bottle I'd rather just keep my money and purchase some other type of aid (exercise equipment, calorie counting monitors etc.)
  • cassiejo84
    cassiejo84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I took it and never had an issue. I ate better because I didn't want to worry about possible side effects. I had to stop taking it, though, because it is expensive.
  • MaryODwyer
    Options
    Thanks for the tremendous laughs today. I'm laughing because I too have tried it and even eating what I thought was a healthier meal at a restaurant I had those same problems. Less than an hour later what I thought was just going to be passing some gas turned into a much messier mess. Not worth it for only 15 pounds!
  • JustBeckyV
    Options
    Yikes! I am glad I never tried this lol
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Just don't go more than 100 feet from a toilet, or get used to wearing diapers.

Two words: anal leakage.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I tried it and was happy with the results. I read all the reviews and what the side effects were. I was so scared about all the bad things happening to me that I was very strict with what I ate and had no problems. On average, I lost 4lbs a week. I stopped taking them after 3 weeks because I became sick after I came back from my vacation. I am starting them again next month.

I looked at the side effects as a lesson, eat like you are supposed to and you won't have problems. Sure you have have that greasy pizza, but don't blame anyone but yourself when you see all that oil in your toilet.

Good luck, these aren't for everyone.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it, but after reading all the posts about it. Eeck. Now, I'm glad I haven't. I'm sorry, but if you're taking something and you "eat better to avoid the nasty side effects" -- you aren't learning to eat better. You're fear eating. You aren't eating carrots because they're better for you than a burger, you're eating them because you're scared eating the burger will make you *kitten* your pants.

No thank you.

I'll lose weight the easy way (and I'm sorry, but learning to watch my calories, learn portion control, etc IS easy compared to having to worry about anal leakage! Good grief!), thanks.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Step one: Buy a taco from Taco Bell.
    Step two: Dump contents of tortilla in the paper wrapping.

THIS is what your undies will look like. Have fun.

:laugh: Y'all are getting me in trouble over here...I can only stifle laughter at my desk for so long!!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    If you can handle the constant fear of sh!tting yourself after you eat something, totally worth it! :flowerforyou:

LOL! That Bad!! Hmm.....I'm thinking NO!!

She's not kidding. I took it for three days and couldn't leave my bathroom, even if I ate a salad. And beware, even if you 'toot' you will need to shower and change.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Wowsers, apparently I didn't have the normal reaction.
    I took Alli for 4 months, and lost somewhere around 35 pounds. I was incredibly clueless about healthy eating, and Alli pointed me towards the right direction. At that point, I needed something standing there, shaking it's head, "No, you really don't want to eat that, or else..." Once I got the conditioning down, and I felt more comfortable with my eating habits, I stopped taking it. I never **** myself, I never had oily leakage. I was incredibly careful about what I ate though, I kept a notebook (this was before I found MFP.)
    Anyhow, I thought I'd reply with a positive experience, since it seems that isn't usual.
    One negative note, however. Because Alli doesn't distinguish between good fats and bad fats, and I cut almost all fat out of my diet, I did have a bit of thinning hair issues. Nothing serious, I was the only one that even noticed it.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Plunder, I just think everyone believes what they hear... I used it too back in the day and never once did I have any of the side effects everyone is talking about... You get these side effects apprently when you eat foods with a lot of fat.... but why are you taking a pill and trying to lose weight if you are going to turn around and eat ****ty, greasy, fattening foods? They bring it on themselves by not following the rules... That's their problem if they crap their pants... They knew it was a side effect yet they ignored the warnings.... Hmmmm sounds like the smart ones are taking over..... I stopped taking it because it was pointless... it's suppose to block fat but if you hardly have any fat in your diet to begin with ( like me), what is it helping????
  • tboothgenthe
    Options
    I tried it - never kept the weight off and the fear and intestional issues got to be too much.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone has tried the weight loss drug Alli. I am trying to lose about 15 lbs and am considering using. I'd love to hear some reviews and comments about the abdominal side effects. :huh:

thank you!

I've tried the drug Putdowntheforkicide and it worked great!
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies.