I need breakfast ideas

Options

Replies

• suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    I usually boil a few eggs the previous evening and grab to eat in the morning.

Instant oatmeal or if you have a crock pot, dump some steel oats in it the night before and cook overnight so it's ready in the AM. Top however you want (honey, greek yogurt, etc)

Take a couple of eggs and crack them into a large coffee mug, add whatever veggies/toppings you like (I usually do bell peppers, onions, a little chili powder for a kick, etc). Then, zap for a minute or more in the microwave and voila you have cooked eggs. Stick it in a whole wheat or multi grain english muffin and you have a homemade egg mcmuffin. Put it in a corn tortilla with some salsa and you have a breakfast burrito.

Hope this helps - I know it's hard to put together a meal in the morning when you're running around a million mph but with some planning, it actually ends up being doable.

^^^These are all great ideas! Especially the egg muffin and burrito ideas. Sometimes I'll do quick oats with agave nectar or brown sugar and blueberries. If I'm in a huge hurry, I'll do a slice or two of wheat toast with peanut butter.
  • kristal_1973
    kristal_1973 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Got these off of the internet. Haven't tried any of them out yet though! Enjoy!

Healthy Breakfast Recipes
    Here are five healthy breakfast recipes that will help you get your morning off to a great start.
    Breakfast Cookies
    Ingredients:
    2/3 cup lite pancake syrup
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed, if you prefer them sweeter (optional)
    3/4 cup smooth natural-style peanut butter
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 large egg (use higher omega-3 brand if available)
    1 tablespoon egg substitute or egg white
    3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
    6 tablespoons unbleached white flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup rolled oats
    3/4 cup dried fruit such as raisins, currants, or dried cranberries (optional)
    2 1/2 cups higher-fiber toasted oat cereal rings (like Trader Joe's Organic High Fiber O's)
    Preparation:
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat two nonstick baking sheets with canola cooking spray or baking spray.
    2. In large mixing bowl, combine pancake syrup, brown sugar (if desired), peanut butter, vanilla extract, egg and egg substitute (or white) and beat on medium until smooth.
    3. In medium bowl, combine whole-wheat flour, white flour, baking soda, and salt with whisk. Pour into bowl with peanut butter mixture, beat on low speed just until blended.
    4. Stir in the oats and dried fruit (if desired) and toasted oat cereal by hand with spatula or spoon.
    5. Drop a slightly heaping 1/4 cup of cookie dough per cookie onto prepared baking sheets (6-7 per baking sheet); flatten the cookie mounds to about 3/4 inches thick with a spatula. Bake for about 10 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned at the edges. Cool on cookie sheet or wire rack. Store in sandwich bags at room temperature up to 2 days or in the freezer up to two months.
    Yield: Makes 12-14 jumbo breakfast cookies
    WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as: 1 small muffin + 1 teaspoon peanut butter OR 2 pieces "pancake, waffle, French toast"
    Nutrition Information per serving: 214 calories, 8 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 8.5 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 18 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 196 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%.
    Strawberry Summer Muffins
    These muffins are delicious fresh from the oven. If you're in the habit of using butter or margarine on your muffins, try some light cream cheese on these instead.
    Ingredients:
    1 1/3 cup sliced fresh strawberries (or use frozen)
    1/4 cup low-fat milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon strawberry or raspberry extract (optional)
    1/2 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
    1/4 cup less-fat margarine with the least amount of saturated/trans fat you can find (with about 8 grams of fat per tablespoon)
    1/2 cup granulated sugar (add 1/4 cup more sugar or Splenda if you prefer it sweeter)
    large egg, room temperature (use a higher omega-3 brand, if available)
    1/4 cup egg substitute or 2 egg whites
    1 cup whole-wheat flour
    1/2 cup unbleached white flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon powdered sugar for dusting the tops (optional)
    Preparation:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside. Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. Make sure you have 2/3 cup of puree.
    2. In small bowl, combine 2/3 cup strawberry puree with low-fat milk, vanilla extract, strawberry extract and red food coloring (if desired); set aside.
    3. In bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream margarine and sugar on medium-high speed until combined and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium-low and add the egg and egg substitute or egg white, beating just until blended. Scrape the side and bottom of bowl well halfway through.
    4. With mixer turned off, in medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, and salt; then add half of the flour mixture to the mixing bowl with margarine mixture, beating just until blended. Pour in the strawberry mixture and beat on LOW just until blended, scraping sides of bowl with spatula midway. Add in the remaining flour mixture, beating just until blended and scraping down sides of the bowl.
    5. Add 1/4-cup of muffin batter to each prepared muffin cup. Bake until tops are just dry to the touch (about 22 minutes). Let cool completely in tin before dusting with powdered sugar, if desired.
    Yield: Makes 11 muffins (5.5 servings of 2 muffins each)
    WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 2 pieces "pancake, waffle, French toast" + 2 teaspoons sugar/honey OR 1 small muffin + 1/2 cup "unsweetened canned fruit in juice or unsweetened pureed fruit"
    Nutrition Information per 2-muffin serving: 258 calories, 8 g protein, 47 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 40 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 260 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20%.
    Honey Wheat Buttermilk Biscuits
    Ingredients:
    2 cups whole-wheat flour
    2 cups unbleached white flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 cup less-fat margarine or whipped butter
    1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
    Preparation:
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or coat with canola cooking spray).
    2. In large mixing bowl, combine flours, salt, and baking powder beating on low speed until blended. Add honey and margarine or butter; beat on low until crumbly. Add buttermilk and beat on low just until dough forms.
    3. Dust flat surface with a few tablespoons of unbleached white flour. Press biscuit dough out to about an 8- or 9-inch square (about 1 inch thick). Cut dough using a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter and place biscuits on prepared baking sheet. Reroll scraps only once. Bake until golden (about 18 minutes).
    Yield: 10-11 biscuits
    WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 piece "small muffin, coffee cake, biscuit" + 1 teaspoon honey OR 2 pieces "pancake, waffle, French toast"
    Nutrition Information per biscuit (if 11 per recipe): 220 calories, 7 g protein, 39 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 2 mg cholesterol, 3.3 g fiber, 447 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20%.
    Veggie Microwave Frittata (for two)
    You can make this tasty breakfast dish for two in about 10 minutes. If you like, garnish each serving with fresh chopped tomato or salsa and/or avocado wedges.
    Ingredients:
    1 1/4 cup shredded frozen hash browns (the type with 0 fat grams per serving)
    2/3 cup shredded or grated carrot
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (or 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley flakes)
    2 teaspoons olive oil or canola oil
    Pinch of salt and pepper (optional)
    2 large eggs (use a higher omega-3 brand if available)
    1/2 cups egg substitute
    1/4 cup low-fat milk or fat-free half-and-half
    1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
    Two dashes hot pepper sauce (like Tabasco)
    1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
    Preparation:
    1. In a microwave-safe 1-quart casserole dish, combine potatoes, carrot, onion, parsley, and oil. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 90 seconds. Add salt and pepper, if desired.
    2. In mixing bowl, combine eggs, egg substitute, milk, mustard, and hot pepper sauce by beating on medium speed for a minute or two. Pour egg mixture into casserole dish and stir to combine with potato mixture.
    3. Cover dish (waxed paper will work) and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes. Draw cooked egg toward the middle of dish and the liquid egg toward the edges and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes more. Sprinkle cheese on top, and microwave until cheese is melted (about 30 seconds more). Let stand a few minutes before serving.
    Yield: Makes 2 servings
    WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 egg alone without added fat + 1 ounce low-fat cheese + 1/2 cup starchy foods with fat OR 1 portion frozen dinner light
    Nutrition Information per serving: 280 calories, 20 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 13 g fat, 4.3 g saturated fat, 6.2 g monounsaturated fat, 1.2 g polyunsaturated fat, 218 mg cholesterol, 2.2 g fiber, 296 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 42%.
    Mango Breakfast Parfait
    If you want to use plain instead of vanilla yogurt, just stir in 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract.
    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup diced frozen mango pieces
    1/2 cup diced frozen peaches
    1/4 cup sliced banana (optional)
    6 ounces low-fat light vanilla yogurt (3/4 cup)
    1/4 cup soy milk
    1/3 cup low-fat granola
    Preparation:
    1. Add mango, peaches, banana, yogurt, and soy milk to small food processor or blender and pulse until smooth (mixture will be thick).
    2. Spoon into serving glass or bowl and top with the granola. Eat with a spoon.
    Yield: Makes 1 serving
    WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: journal as 1 cup low-fat yogurt sweetened with fruit + 1/2 cup unsweetened whole grain cereal
    Nutrition Information per serving: 297 calories, 12 g protein, 60 g carbohydrate, 3.5 g fat, 0.2 g saturated fat, 1.3 g monounsaturated fat, 1.6 g polyunsaturated fat, 4 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 174 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 10%.
    Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; © 2008 Elaine Magee
    Elaine Magee, MPH, RD, is the "Recipe Doctor" for the WebMD Weight Loss Clinic and the author of numerous books on nutrition and health. Her opinions and conclusions are her own.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    this week I made breakfast tacos
    1 la favorita whole wheat tortilla (80 cals)
    1 egg and three tablespoons of egg whites scrambled (125 cals)
    2 slices of oscar mayer thick cut pre-cooked bacon (47 cals)
    2 tablespoons salsa (10)

Under 300 cals and super filling. I made up four at once and wrapped them up (without the salsa) they reheat very well.
  • mmcivor1219
    Options
    A slice of whole wheat toast, half a slice of pepper jack cheese and three fried egg whites.

Complex carbs & protien to start your day and pepper jack for flavor.

I eat it with a cup of coffee and creamer and my calorie total for breakfast is around 250. After a week I was so full off of the three egg whites I switched to 2.

Good luck!!
  • Spoony4u09
    Spoony4u09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on weight watchers as well as tracking on here, and I love Frosted Mini Wheats, and if you pour some skim milk over it , it's not too bad on points =0)
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    my new kick is cream of wheat farina with a tsp maple syrup (organic and natural) 1 tsp of splenda and a few walnuts...yummmmyyy i am netoriously hungry after meals and that keeps me full all morning
  • TonyG111160
    TonyG111160 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have started eating Quaker "Oats So Simple" each morning after seeing another MFPer diary. I was convinced I didnt like porridge but actually I now enjoy it and it does fill you up.
  • MsRoxyPepper
    MsRoxyPepper Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    toast with pb, or nutella. 100cal muffin with canadian bacon and sl cheese. all fruit smoothie with whey protein
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    I really love these Banana Oatmeal "muffins" I just found a recipe for!

3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
    1c almond milk
    2 eggs
    3 cups uncooked Oatmeal
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    mini chocolate chips

mix all the ingredients together and bake in muffin tins (I like making the mini size) for 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden brown. The chocolate chips are optional but I like to add a few just for some sweetness. My husband likes to drizzle a little honey over his. Without the choc chips, each mini muffin is 45 calories and a great thing to grab and eat on the go!

Oh wow! I am definitely trying these! Thank you for posting!
  • maritzarazo
    Options
    I choose from a variety of Fiber One cereals, Dannon Greek Yogurt with Stawberry on bottom, Nature Valley Bars, with my coffee at the office every morning. Weekdays are pretty easy for me to stay on track but I need ideas for hearty yet low cal breakfast for the weekends.
  • lsjett1
    lsjett1 Posts: 20
    Options
    I eat a fiber one bar almost every morning. They keep me full until lunch!
  • maritzarazo
    Options
    Awesome Thanks, I will be trying these this weekend. I'm sure my kids will love them too.
  • PaPenguin
    PaPenguin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Special K Protein Plus. Quaker High Fiber or Weight Control Instant Oatmeal.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    This morning I did 1/2 cup of egg beaters, 1 tbls. bacon bits - when cooked, topped off with 2 tbls salsa and half of a haas avacado (just under 200 cals). Some mornings I just do 1 pkg. instant cheese grits with a hard cooked egg chopped up in them...........stick to your ribs (170 cals).
  • versuga
    versuga Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    scrambled eggs with salsa mixed in after about 250 cals, oatmeal with mandarin oranges 270 cals, still like my toast and peanut butter the 50 cal bread and light peanut butter can have 2 slices and 2 tbsps and it is 260 cals :)
  • michellecorvin
    michellecorvin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that website Teelynn. I love it! ;D
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I really love these Banana Oatmeal "muffins" I just found a recipe for!

3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
    1c almond milk
    2 eggs
    3 cups uncooked Oatmeal
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    mini chocolate chips

mix all the ingredients together and bake in muffin tins (I like making the mini size) for 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden brown. The chocolate chips are optional but I like to add a few just for some sweetness. My husband likes to drizzle a little honey over his. Without the choc chips, each mini muffin is 45 calories and a great thing to grab and eat on the go!

All these things are in my house RIGHT NOW....except the chocolate chips. =P

I'm on it!!!
  • Achristine96
    Options
    I buy the old fashioned oats at Winco (in the bulk section). I take 1\2 cup of oats 1 cup of water And put in the microwave for 1:45seconds then I add one tablespoon of honey. Somedays (like if I worked out) I eat it with some turkey bacon or sausage:) That's my every morning breakfast and it's really easy:) Good luck!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats (make a bunch at the beginning of the week and just reheat)
    1 T peanut butter
    a touch of almond milk
    a touch of stevia