Gym Embarrassment (Gymbarrassment?)

Options

Replies

• Mrsfluth
    Options
    I know what you mean. For years I have just stuck to cardio and haven't really done too much in the way of strength training, because I had no idea what I was doing. Even after a intro session with a personal trainer, I was not comfortable enough trying out the weights. I signed up for a intro to Weight Lifting class at my local community college, and I am becoming way more comfortable in the gym. So 2 days a week, its like I have a trainer, as my teacher is always there to give tips, and to answer any questions I may have.
    Obviously, not something that everyone can do, but its working for me. Also, at the beginning of the semester, we filled out a goal sheet about what we want to accomplish, as well as taking body measurements and doing a series of strength testing. At the end of the semester, and I believe at midterms, we will go back and assess where we are and what we can improve on.
  • Bunnie_Lynn
    Bunnie_Lynn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just do it! At first I was really nervous/ embarrassed to go but within the first 2 week I get really use to it (the gym is my second home now lol I go every day). When you look around you realize that everyone is there for the same reasons, to get fit and be healthier.
    If you still feel awkward, you can always go in the mornings (it is almost always empty around 5am-7am).

Good luck! :)
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I absolutely hate going to gyms. I am kinda nerdy and I think they can sense it! I moved to a new city last year and decided to meet similar moms at the gym. What I found were evil people! (just kidding). I would try and talk to people in my aerobic classes and they had their ready-made clicks (like high school), give me crazy looks and ignore me completely! I even tried to meet other moms in the gym daycare center and got the same treatment! Not to mention, the trainer who helped me in the beginning was looking at women as he showed me the machines!!! Anyway, not a big fan. I just use my exercise bike at home, walk/jog in my neighborhood and as of last summer, roller skate while pushing my daughter in a jogging stroller. That said, many people have had great experiences at the gym and I hope you do too.
  • jfilon
    jfilon Posts: 80
    Options
    Do not be afraid to ask the weight room attendant for help! They are often super friendly and very knowledgable, and they are used to answering questions ALLL the time. Feeling embarrassed is perfectly normal. :) Just don't let that stand in your way of getting a great workout!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I've got to say I have an awesome gym. The folks that work the weight floor are more than willing to help you figure out what to do and how the machines work. They don't treat you like morons and push services you don't want/can't afford. My gym also has pictures on "MOST" of the machines to show you how to use them. I'd check out a few gyms and see what you get at them and then make your decision from there. Good luck!
  • cleoleigh
    cleoleigh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started! To this day I still feel like people are watching me LOL I wish I could wear dark sunglasses and a big hat...but I would probably stand out more. LOL For me it is about people seeing me struggle. For instance, planking.
    I nearly can't do it, maybe 3 seconds. Push-ups, even the girlie kind, same thing, 3 and I am seriously struggling...it embarrasses me. ;) But oh well!!! I am there to get better and so are you!

I actually went to you-tube and watched videos of people showing proper form doing various exercises. The really good thing about this was that I saw some alternative ways for squats and lunges for beginners and people with bad knees.

So try this:
    1. See if you get a free personal fitness session (most do)
    2. Watch You-Tube videos
    3. If all else fails, get your Jackie O on with some big shades LMAO! just kidding ;)
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    3. If all else fails, get your Jackie O on with some big shades LMAO! just kidding ;)

LOL
  • tinamarie204
    Options
    You can watch other people and how they use the equipment....and it never hurts to just ask some one.
  • thesarahsundae
    thesarahsundae Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Almost all gyms have a free intro session with a trainer when you sign up. They will show you how to use all the machines.

Exactly. I know my gym does. I recently rejoined and they offered to show me how to use the equipment. Even though I was a prior member (I was working out at home, but joined again so I could get leaner and tone up) I took them up on the offer because there was equipment there I had never tried.

Don't be afraid to ask the staff for help. That is what they are there for!!
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    >___< Oh boy do I know your pain! Luckily, a friend of mine recently stepped up to the plate and is acting as a personal trainer for me (Sort of), so if I have questions, I just ask!
  • jlong7774
    jlong7774 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you have an IPOD or something to listen to bring that and you can zone out while exercising. I agree just go and you will begin to feel like you want to go or feel bad if you are not going to the gym.
  • elbandito
    elbandito Posts: 157
    Options
    I've resisted joining a gym purely out of embarrassment as far as not knowing anything about the machines go. How do you get over this? I feel like I'm going to walk in and have no clue how to use anything...anyone else experience this?

Most of the machines have instructions on them (in a little sticker). I go up to a machine that looks interesting, and use it to 'stretch' while I read the instructions. Then if it's something I'd like to try, I give it a go.

In all honesty, no one person at the gym will be watching you. Just focus on yourself and have fun. :)
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you don't find a gym that has a free session with a trainer (I'm sure you will), there is also the option of finding a PE teacher that you know and asking them to help you out or go with you. If you have kids that are middle/high school age maybe you know their teachers a bit. If you are younger and don't have kids, think of someone fit that you know and just ask them. I bet someone would go with you a few times. I think most people are pretty supportive about stuff like that...
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options

Most of the machines have instructions on them (in a little sticker). I go up to a machine that looks interesting, and use it to 'stretch' while I read the instructions. Then if it's something I'd like to try, I give it a go.

LOL I LOVE this!!!
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    This has already been said, but it bears repeating: if at all possible, have a trainer show you how to use the equipment. They can help you figure out what's the best starting weight for you on each of the different machines (or free weights), AND they will correct your form. It's pretty easy to either injure yourself or just work the wrong muscle in a way that's uncomfortable if you're not paying attention to form. There are experienced gym members, who've been there a while, who aren't always doing it right.

So going with a trainer is worth it for the intro session, and also worth paying for a few sessions to get you really started, if you can swing it.
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way, I imagined that the gym was full of people who couldn't pinch an inch and that there would be a lot of body builders there...but it is much more diverse than that (and I have tried several gyms now). A bunch of different body types and endurance levels.

What helped me to take the first step was convincing myself that everyone has to start somewhere and if anyone wanted to judge the way i was huffing & puffing, or how much I was sweating or whether I was not lasting as long as them then they could just stuff it!!!

What I quickly realized is that no one gave a rats *kitten* about what I was doing, lol. That is the reality, no one is really going to be paying attention because most people are so focused on themselves and their workout...most gyms give you a trial period (2 weeks or 10 visits, something like that) go try out several different gyms and find one that suits you.

YOU ARE WORTH THE EFFORT! :flowerforyou:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, they should offer you a free PT session.. and if they don't then ask if there is some sort of orientation.

If you are doing a machine or something that you don't understand, don't be afraid to find a personal trainer that is not busy and ask for help... Contrary to popular belief, they are nice and will help without trying to sell you anything.

Most all, have fun. The gym is what you make it.. and if you think it's going to suck, then it's going to suck.. plain and simple.
  • MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    Options
    yes, u should get a free walk through the gym, and them show you how to use each machine. plus most newer machines have photo on them that demonstrate the movement anyways along with what muscles it is working.
  • RobDelco
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed, everyone's got to start somewhere. There are thousands of instructional videos on youtube and the internet to teach you at least the basic exercises. Each gym should also have trainers or even friendly people that can spare a minute to help you out.
  • Sylendis
    Options
    As important as knowing what to do with the equipment, it can be equally important to know in what order/how many reps for the equipment. Take a session or two to get to know the different pieces of equipment that are specific to your gym. A personal trainer can really help to get a begining routine setup. Its is well worth the investment to ensure you are not wandering from one piece of equipment to the next. Most trainers can be hired for one to 3 sessions to help with this.

If you have an iPhone of iPod touch, there are great fitness apps that will help with fitness routines and trackers. I really like Mens Health Fitness and iFitness.

There are very elite people in the gym that do not want you there. It is their gym and they would rather you go somewhere else. There are equally (if not more) people that are also in your shoes and just want to improve their health. Seek these people out, try a few classes and most importantly, HAVE FUN. If it isn't fun, you will stop going.