Almond Milk vs Soymilk?

Options

Replies

• gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk, but will put soy milk in my smoothies because it has more protein.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    Apparently you can get isoflavone free soy.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Really? Where?

Pam
  • kalepowered
    kalepowered Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've always drank fortified Silk original soymilk (it makes up a good portion of my calcium intake), but since I've learned how to cook tofu without it tasting like watery nastiness, I might try almond milk again for more of a balance. I used to keep soy & almond both in the fridge at all times - almond was for baking, smoothies, and in coffee, and soy was for straight-up drinking. I never really found an almond milk I could drink straight-up because it seemed really thick and kind of off-putting. Nowhere near as off-putting as rice milk though, that stuff is nasty.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I have both in my fridge right now....honestly I think soymilk is closer in texture and taste to regular milk, the almond milk doesn't really taste that good to me but the kind I bought has lower calories, sugar, carbs, than the soymilk so I use it in my oatmeal and cereal. I stick to organic soymilk btw.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Soy doesn't just affect thyroid...it's a mimic for estrogen (the 'female' hormone). Too much of it can actual stimulate cancer growth (but only if the cancer is already present in your body).
    The upside to soy: It's the only plant based source of complete protein, so it doesn't have to be paired with anything to give you all the essential amino acids you need. I personally drink oat milk and get my protein elsewhere (lactose intolerant vegetarian here).
    Almond milk, while I've never had the stuff myself seems like a great option, so unless you have some kind of nut allergy it would probably be good to go with that one. The taste of any of these alternative milks might seem strange at first, but after a week or 2 they'll taste just fine.

Actually, quinoa is also a plant that is a complete protein.. just fyi.. I personally prefer almond milk and LOVE the chocolate variety for a delicious, relatively low calorie treat (it is very creamy), however, almond milk has very little protein or fiber content.. I tend to limit soy due to the hormone issues it creates, and I know children, especially young girls, should avoid soy because of the hormone-like qualities, there has also been a fairly alarming increase in soy allergies, so i figure it's probably best to exercise moderation
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I've always preferred Almond milk over soy milk.

And I used to only drink Blue Diamond Almond Breeze, but the last time at the store I bought Silk Unsweetened Almond milk and it was a trillion times tastier and creamier, I could chug a glass right now!
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Myth - complementary proteins - limiting amino acids - vegetable proteins are incomplete.

Not.

Theory recanted decades ago.

Pam

Soy doesn't just affect thyroid...it's a mimic for estrogen (the 'female' hormone). Too much of it can actual stimulate cancer growth (but only if the cancer is already present in your body).
    The upside to soy: It's the only plant based source of complete protein, so it doesn't have to be paired with anything to give you all the essential amino acids you need. I personally drink oat milk and get my protein elsewhere (lactose intolerant vegetarian here).
    Almond milk, while I've never had the stuff myself seems like a great option, so unless you have some kind of nut allergy it would probably be good to go with that one. The taste of any of these alternative milks might seem strange at first, but after a week or 2 they'll taste just fine.

Actually, quinoa is also a plant that is a complete protein.. just fyi.. I personally prefer almond milk and LOVE the chocolate variety for a delicious, relatively low calorie treat (it is very creamy), however, almond milk has very little protein or fiber content.. I tend to limit soy due to the hormone issues it creates, and I know children, especially young girls, should avoid soy because of the hormone-like qualities, there has also been a fairly alarming increase in soy allergies, so i figure it's probably best to exercise moderation
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    love, love, love Blue Diamond unsweetened Almond Milk. I make my oatmeal with it and put it in coffee. I used to give my boys choc soy milk for a treat...but I think it's kind of chalky. they won't touch the almond milk.
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For those with thyroid issues, almond milk is a better choice because soy has been shown to negatively affect that. Otherwise, it's really a matter of taste.

I happen to prefer almond milk because I find it creamier and tastier than soymilk, but that's just me!

^This!!!! I agree 100% I used to drink soy milk all the time and my dr. forbids me to now because of my thyroid. Plus, almond milk is super tasty!! I get the Blue Diamond brand that is unsweetened. It is amazing! I like both vanilla and chocolate.

Btw, soy is a phytoestrogen, this is the reason why it can cause so many issues (especially in women).
  • melodydawn
    melodydawn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes I believe that can be true for some of us. I have endometriosis as well as adenomyosis. Instead of having a hysterectomy I chose to ramp up my progesterone levels through hormone therapy. Soy has phytoestrogens and are generally quite good for ushering out excess estrogens from the body. But if you are estrogen dominant like me, it is best to cut out phytoestrogens and xenoestrogens (fr the time being) and stick with almond milk for the most part. Too much soy can aggravate estrogen dominance. Feeling a little weepy lately? Cut back on the soy. Go for almond.
  • andreacord
    Options
    I'm weird with how I am with milk. I use skim for coffee and food items (like if I make mashed potatoes or something) and almond milks for shakes, cereal and anything else. I have some sort of reaction to soy because I bloat up like a puffer fish and get a really sore stomach. Almond milk tastes better too IMO.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have both in my fridge right now....honestly I think soymilk is closer in texture and taste to regular milk, the almond milk doesn't really taste that good to me but the kind I bought has lower calories, sugar, carbs, than the soymilk so I use it in my oatmeal and cereal. I stick to organic soymilk btw.

men should avoid soy. women too actually but men even more.
  • Sparkz1920
    Sparkz1920 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just had almond milk for the first time today. It was really very tasty, but then again I LOVE almonds. I probably wouldn't drink it on it's own, but in my smoothie this AM it was fantastic.

Soy milk is simply gross to me. YUCK!

Why not try both? At my grocery store you can get individual servings of each in Vanilla or Chocolate.

I went ahead and bought both. I love SILK Vanilla Soy Milk....So bomb...But i really want to try Almond since it has less Cals in it. So i bought both.

Better than regular milk...taste wise and health wise
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    Really? Where?

Pam

A friend wanted me to look into that Body By Vi stuff. I noticed their protein blend uses an isoflavone free soy. The process involves a solvent bath in hexane.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Huh. Not sure I'd want that.

Pam

A friend wanted me to look into that Body By Vi stuff. I noticed their protein blend uses an isoflavone free soy. The process involves a solvent bath in hexane.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Soy affects the thyriod? Hmm curious. I didn't know that.

According to my brothers (nutrition fanatics) Soy has been known to elevate bad estrogen that causes breast cancer.....but thats only if you have those genes I think. .:/ Still, soy messes with hormones especially in young children. soy byproducts are found in almost anything somewhat processed!
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have had only unsweetened almond milk for the past six years with no adverse effects. I definitely recommend it over soy, seeing as soy is so controversial.
  • MsJennie013
    Options
    It's been shown that soy is not a good choice for women. Because our bodies treat the phytoestrogen as natural estrogen, it's been linked to increase in lady-cancers. Coconut milk is more of the consistency of skim milk where almond is that of whole or 2%.

One physician compared consuming soy to swimming in shark-infested waters. Even if you just jump in and pop right back out, there are sharks in the water and you run the risk of being bitten. The longer you're in the water, the greater that risk. Someone earlier said the current research is confusing. And it is. Everyone has an agenda, so each party involved is sponsoring research. When you read through things, keep in mind the researchers.

Good luck!
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I love Almond Milk! I got the Silk Unsweetened kind and it was delicious!!! But since I like to get some protein nutrients from my milk I usually buy Lactose Free milk or Soy.

My hubby is allergic to lactose and almonds. So if I get almond milk it's just for me and that expense is too much to do all the time. So it's either the lactose free milk or soy that we buy depending on price. I can only do soy for a few weeks though. It tastes like cardboard to me....ick.