Flowers or no flowers on the first date?

Options
VictorVegaJr
VictorVegaJr Posts: 31 Member
I asked this on my news feed and got some good answers, but I wanted to get some more answers. Are flowers too much on the first date? I know the girl, its not like I just met her if that makes a difference.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you turn up for the date with flowers it would look to me like "trying too hard".
    Enjoy the date and if it goes well, send her flowers afterwards.
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm a sucker for flowers. Personally I would love being bought some (though if you're out somewhere you may need to source some water for them somehow?) :flowerforyou:

I mean what's she gonna do, moan you got her flowers? How ungrateful lol
  • bakingmadness
    bakingmadness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It depends on how long you have known her. If I've only recently met a guy (within the last few weeks to a month or two) I would see flowers on a first date as trying to hard. If you have know her for months/years (my boyfriend and I met in HS over 10 years ago and started dating a year ago) then I think flowers are ok (he brought me flowers on our first date). I would advise to stay away from red roses... maybe go for a mixed bouquet or carnations or pink or yellow roses.
  • mloftus2
    Options
    I'd go with a single flower. a bouquet might seem like your trying to hard or might freak her out, but if you do want to go with a nice gesture, a single flower (a nice flower) is romantic and thoughtful without going over the top. good luck!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Save the flowers for the second or third date, as a kind of reward for her accepting said second or third date. ;-)
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Yes to flowers. No to giant ones =)

A single flower is cute. Myself, I'm partial to gerbera daisies.
  • daniivdean
    daniivdean Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Send flowers after the date, if it goes well and if a second date is arranged :)
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    I think a single flower might be cute, but a bunch too much for sure. 1 might even give me the hes trying to hard on the first date. But you said you know her so thats a little bit of a difference situation.

Oh and it kind of depends on the location, if youre meeting her somewhere and she has to carry the flower/s around then Id say no, but if you are picking her up but then.

Some much to think about, Keep us posted on what you decide :)
  • MissEllieF
    MissEllieF Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would love flowers to be brought on a first date, although I do think it's sweet to send them afterwards instead. I agree with staying away from red roses though. My personal favourite is sunflowers.

Let us know how you get on!
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Hmm, good question.. I would want flowers. lol
  • hornedone
    hornedone Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    yes...a single red rose
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I like the flowers-or even better, a plant (cause it lasts longer) after the date.

I hate that awkward moment, you're both standing in the door, I'm ready to go. What am I supposed to do with them? I don't want you in my house yet, but I have to put them in water, I can't throw them on the couch cause that's rude....see? Too much stress when it's stressful enough.
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    Do what you want. If you like to give flowers do it! If she doesn't get it, she is not the right one for you. If flowers on a first date confuses a girl and she decides she doesn't want to give herself a chance to get to know you because of flowers, then it is her loss! What do you think of sex on the first date?
  • jumcadam
    jumcadam Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A really really sweet thought!

I'd go with sending them afterwards - might be a bit cumbersome for her to take them along with her on said date really. Or, as wonnder1 said, having to arrange them with you on the doorstep!
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    I love flowers and other small gifts on dates. I tend to date nonAmericans and they always bring a small gift (one man brought me antique earings!). It's very romantic.
  • tylersmama1224
    Options
    Maybe a flower. You don't want to appear too desperate, lol.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Sounds, from the responses you got so far, like it depends on the girl. Most people say if you give gifts or flowers etc on the first date it makes the girl think you are trying too hard. But especially if you already know her and have been in friendship mode for a little bit, flowers could be a nice touch to let her know this isn't a platonic hanging out but a real date. Unless, like another poster said, she had to carry them around all night.

I would actually probably prefer a small bouquet or single flower (that you pick up to the grocery store) than something delivered (costs enough more that I would wonder if you're trying to buy my affection or are desperate).
  • whitetiger011680
    whitetiger011680 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't like flowers...they just die. Getting them once in a while for a special occasion is ok but not on a first date. But that's just me.
  • tigger301780
    tigger301780 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'd go with a single flower. a bouquet might seem like your trying to hard or might freak her out, but if you do want to go with a nice gesture, a single flower (a nice flower) is romantic and thoughtful without going over the top. good luck!
    I agree. I thought it was really sweet to get a single flower on a first date with a guy :) a whole bunch is really overdoing it in my personal opinion. Oh and make sure its a nice colour. Colour is important ;)
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    For me, I'd love to be sent them afterward with a sweet note. I think that's more thoughtful :)

Edit: In fact, I'm going to leave this open for my boyfriend to see haha