contact lenses

2»

Replies

• jobster68
    jobster68 Posts: 145
    They are fab. I have worn them for 24 years. I wear dailies and you just put them in in the morning then throw them away at night. Absolutely fab!
    :smile:
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    I wear them everyday and have done for about 10 years. They get super dry throughout the day though, so I put some drops in.

I've only had one bit of trouble with them - I started to take my eye make up off without taking them out first. One ended up behind my eyeball( well... to the side) and I had to do some weird massaging to get it out. Panic city!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    I wear soft and love them. it's especially great for excercising. sweaty face and glasses is just annoying. I also feel better overall with contacts than I do with glasses. confidence, attractiveness.
  • rheiah
    rheiah Posts: 84
    I wear contact lenses, though usually not for work (I'm in front of a screen all day long & my eyes get quite dry). I put my dailies in for sports/going out/etc.
    The most important thing is to get lenses that don't dry out too easily. I had those before my current ones and after a few hours they really started to hurt.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    I wore glasses until I was 16 when my parents got me contacts. Changed my life!!! at 43 still wear them and only wear my glasses when absolutely necessary. The products are so much better, if you are in the UK go to specsavers and get the monthly direct debit, your contacts just turn up. Get dailies. Its so much better than it used to be no solutiosn and complicated cleaning processes.
    If you can I'd see if you can get laser, unfortunately for me I can't do it due to the size of my cornea.

its not just vanity, I think its so much better to see the world without plastic frames on your face constantly.
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    I've been wearing contacts for years now... best decision ever.
    I've experimented with daily disposables and continuous wear ones... much prefer continuous wear (although you have to get the go ahead from an optician to wear them, they're not suitable for everyone). I can wear them 24/7 for a month and don't have to worry about cleaning them too much, or taking them out. I do have the odd weekend without them to give my eyes a rest, but most of the time they're fine. It's much nicer, especially if you're away from home, to know that you'll be able to see even in the middle of the night.

Daily disposibles are a good way to start though, really gets you used to putting them in and taking them out. I stopped using them as I found them to be way more fragile than my monthly ones. It's no fun when you end up with half a lens in your eye and the other half still on your finger... always used to happen when I was late for work!
    Don't believe any horror stories about them 'getting lost round the back of your eye' or anything though... that doesn't happen. Occasionally they break, or move about a bit... but as long as you don't panic they're easy to sort out.
    Make sure you invest in lots of contact lens suitable eye drops, they really help if your eyes start to get a little dry or sore.

Also... don't do what I did. I had a 5 day trial of disposible contact lenses... which I used for the first time while at a music festival. A sweaty tent with no means of washing your hands, plus bonfires etc... it's not the best place to learn how to put them in correctly!!
  • I wear daily disposables. I've had contacts for about 20 years and wouldn't change back to glasses. I wear my glasses in the evenings to give my eyes a rest before bed 'cos by then they're getting a bit dry. I like the dailies as they're fresh and clean every morning & I was way too lazy to clean my previous ones properly, so by the end of the month they were getting pretty grotty.

Aiming to get surgery later this year though and be glasses/contacts free for the first time in 26 years.
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    I work for an eye doc...Your doc will determine the best lens for you, based on a number of factors. Whichever lens he chooses, make sure you follow the wearing schedule for that lens.

Sleeping in your lenses is generally not recommended, even if the lens is approved for overnight wear.

DO NOT try to extend the life of your lens. Overwearing a lens can cause infections, inflammations and pain. Which means a trip the the eye doc, medications, and no contact lens wear for 4-7 days.

Clean and store your lenses as instructed.

ALWAYS wash your hands before handling your lenses.

Following these important "rules" will allow you to wear them for years. Your doc and the tech will teach you everything you need to know. You will do fine.

I love my contacts. You get to wear really cool sunglasses (polarized, of course) :glasses:
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    They are fab. I have worn them for 24 years. I wear dailies and you just put them in in the morning then throw them away at night. Absolutely fab!
    :smile:

^^^^^ Me too.....no messing with solutions and I hardly ever forget to take them out at night.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member

its not just vanity, I think its so much better to see the world without plastic frames on your face constantly.

Completely agree. It's crazy when you first get them how you can watch a movie or tv lying down and see the whole thing, instead of through half your lenses because when you lie down your eyes don't always match up to where the glasses are on your face! Or how you can actually clearly see the inside of a shower!! Or just even how you can all around, inside of just in the lenses of your glasses.