HELP!! This isn't health related but I don't know what to do

Options
Hi everyone, thank you in advance for everyone who looks at this post and makes a comment. I've not always had the best relationship with my mum, she's made a lot of serious mistakes in her past and I have always forgiven her and helped her out the best I could. The problem is is that since i've moved to the uk she's had to actually be a grown up and I've not had to be the parent. She's only come through on one promise she has ever said and like i said lies to me about basic things and some very sinister. Last night I rung her to talk as I have glandular fever and been off work all week so far, she then seemed like she was actually trying to be my mum and then dropped the big bomb on me that she needs 1000.00 dollars and if i have it could i lend it to her, the other problem is that she knows I do as my aunt died last year and left me a tiny bit of money. The next problem is is that it is my wedding money and I'm hopefully getting married next year just so I can lose all my weight. I am just worried my mum won't give me the money back as she has burned lots of other family by committing acts of fraud. I know it seems like i shouldn't but she needs the money for her rent and will get kicked out as she recently lost her job and is starting another one but not until March. My mum said she would be able to pay it back to me by may...but i don't know if i can trust her. The next problem is i haven't asked my fiancee yet and i know already he will say no because he doesn't like or trust her. My friend thinks i shouldn't take the risk but how can i live with myself if my mum goes homeless. I know its her own fault and if it was any way it would should be the other way round? quite simply does anyone know what to do? do i risk my wedding money or make my mum homeless?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Give her a few news papers, and a box. By living in the box, she won't be homeless and you can keep your wedding money. Problem solved.
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would actually write a note/loan document, with interest, and make her sign if you choose to lend it (you can find them on the internet easily). If you don't choose to lend it I would tell her exactly why, don't lie or that puts you on the same level.

just my 2 cents....
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    What a horiible situation to be in!

Unfortunately, when you loan someone money, always consider it a gift not a loan, because you usually will not get it back. It sounds like you will not get it back based off your post.

She is the mother, not you....she is an adult. If she can't managed her money properly it is her fault, not yours. If you loan her money now, she will keep asking you for more and more...it is called enabling. She can go to her landlord and explain her situation and ask to make modify rent payments for a time period, she can look for a cheaper place to live, she can bring in a room mate....there are solutions availible to her that does not require her to borrow money from you.

You need to protect yourself and your future...don't put yourself into a situation that will cause more stress...if she gets angry with you over this than she is just usuing you....we can pick our friends, but cannot choose our family, but just because someone is family doesn't give them the right to treat you horribly....

Standing up to a parent is really hard....it is a difficult situation...but stand firm....you won't make her homeless, if she becomes homeless that is all her own doing...
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Your Mom is a grown up and she will not be homeless. You are enabling her by giving her the money and you will still be the parent. Tell her that unfortunately you can`t access the money for 6 months or more and she will have to figure this one out on her own

It`s called tough love and it is tough to do
  • ellaschmidheiny
    Options
    Yes of course you risk your wedding money!

I would lend it to a friend, a colleague, even an acquaintance let alone my own mother! I would probably not even ask her to return it, given that she is in trouble.
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Difficult situation. Whatever you decide to do, you need to discuss it with your fiance. Even though you're not married yet, you don't want to be keeping things from him. I'm a hard *kitten* so I wouldn't give her the money -- you would be giving it to her, not loaning -- as chances are good that you'll never see it again.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I think it's time for some tough love. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, but it sounds like your mom could very well cut and run with your $1,000. If you need that money for your wedding, then don't give it to her. It sounds like she really needs a wake up call and if you keep bailing her out, she will never learn to rely on herself. Sending you a huge hug...
  • Tracey1147
    Tracey1147 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    At some point she needs to learn to depend on herself and not you, she may need to learn the hard way.
    The other option is you could get a legally binding agreement written up where she has to pay you back either so much per month or by a certain date.
  • sammibob
    Options
    ohh what a horrible situation to be in! No-one can really advise you on this, you need to go with your gut/conscience whatever... but it sounds like it's time your mum took responsibilty for herself and maybe this is the wake-up call she needs...
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options

Unfortunately, when you loan someone money, always consider it a gift not a loan, because you usually will not get it back. It sounds like you will not get it back based off your post.

She is the mother, not you....she is an adult. If she can't managed her money properly it is her fault, not yours. If you loan her money now, she will keep asking you for more and more...it is called enabling. She can go to her landlord and explain her situation and ask to make modify rent payments for a time period, she can look for a cheaper place to live, she can bring in a room mate....there are solutions availible to her that does not require her to borrow money from you.

You need to protect yourself and your future...don't put yourself into a situation that will cause more stress...if she gets angry with you over this than she is just usuing you....we can pick our friends, but cannot choose our family, but just because someone is family doesn't give them the right to treat you horribly....

Standing up to a parent is really hard....it is a difficult situation...but stand firm....you won't make her homeless, if she becomes homeless that is all her own doing...

Well said!!
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Im in the uk if shes lost her job she will get lots of help housing benifit job seekers allowence council tax paid,this is emotional blackmail its not like you have alot of money and she shouldnt be using this story on you,how do you know its true tell her to go to citizens advice beaux its a free advice centre every town has one in the uk they will help her with benifits DONT GIVE HER YOUR MONEY
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Your Mom is a grown up and she will not be homeless. You are enabling her by giving her the money and you will still be the parent. Tell her that unfortunately you can`t access the money for 6 months or more and she will have to figure this one out on her own

This is excellent advice. As difficult as it is with family relationships, it is the best option. It really is.
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I personally think that I would not. If my mother acted in the manor that your does... shes acting like the child... a child that needs to learn her own lessions on how to be an adult. To be accountable for her own actions. I would feel awful, but its time for you to be the Daughter and her to be the mother. I could see if she asked for a 100, or a few.. but not 1000.00. I am more than willing to help out my mother if this ever came along.. becasue she is a mother.. and does act like one, and i am her daughter.

Do you think she could have asked you for the money if she knew you didnt get that money from family? There is a point.. like a parent when you need to cut the cored.. unfortunally.. your going to have to be the one cutting it. Its time for her to woman up and be your mother.. not your child. Im sorry if this is harsh of me to say... but its just how I feel.
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

This is excellent advice. As difficult as it is with family relationships, it is the best option. It really is.

I could not agree more
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Yes This!!!
  • ginncjb
    ginncjb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There have been lots of good replies I agree with. But, I want you to see this from a different angle. Your topic says "....this isn't health related....", but of course it is! It isn't enough to just go on a diet & track your calories. If you are overweight, there is always an emotional side to the problem. In my case, I have a wonderful relationship with my mom. BUT, she's had a very rough life & I found that I was feeling guilt for having a better life than she had.

I think you will find that if you make a stand on this, it will be hard, but you will come out the other side feeling much better. I wouldn't let her continue to blackmail you & I would definitely discuss it with your fiance'. His bad opinion of your mother comes from the fact that he loves you & that he knows about all the times you've been hurt by her. Use your marriage as a way to make a fresh start in all your relationships.

Good luck in this situation & on your journey to lose weight. :)
  • x_biggirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone just spoke to my finacee and he has said no, just feel really horrible and quite nervous to tell her. The thing is that her brother is the landlord and he despises her so she doesn't want to ask him. She's gone to the bank and money mart and they said no until she starts her new job. As well she lives in Canada and I live here in the UK so getting a legal binding thing would be hard and just cost me more money. I feel really guilty as well because she paid for two airline tickets for me and one for my fiancee. The thing is is that she offered to do it and the only way i have what i have now is through a second job and my aunt passing on, I have a mortgage as welll so I've never had a lot of money. The problem is i always have given my mum the benefit of the doubt, even though she's lied and stolen and really been a *kitten* like my whole life.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I want to add:
    I have been married 18 years and my husbands family is a bit on the, lets just say, "out there side" It always takes 2 yess' and one no. I would talk to your fiance and see what he says. If he says no, then you just need to tell your mom "NO." Tell her you spent the money, you need the money before May or that it is tied up and you don't have access to it. If you are afraid of lying then take the money and put it is a short term CD tying it up for a while thus not lying. Money and family are the two things most married couples fight about, if you are engaged and this is the family you bring to the table, then you might want to see how the two of you handle it as a team before you get married.

Best wishes, it is a tough situation to be in, but better to cut the ties with the money in the bank, than later on after you have given all you have and then needing to cut the ties.
  • Teresa3612
    Teresa3612 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a firm rule when "loaning" money to family - NEVER loan anyone anymore than you can afford to give them! With that said, you will have to decide if you want to give her the money or not. If you have it and can then do. I would give it to my mom, but we have a good relationship and she would do the same for me. There have been times in both our lives when one of us has "loaned" money to the other. Do what you can live with in the end.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone just spoke to my finacee and he has said no, just feel really horrible and quite nervous to tell her. The thing is that her brother is the landlord and he despises her so she doesn't want to ask him. She's gone to the bank and money mart and they said no until she starts her new job. As well she lives in Canada and I live here in the UK so getting a legal binding thing would be hard and just cost me more money. I feel really guilty as well because she paid for two airline tickets for me and one for my fiancee. The thing is is that she offered to do it and the only way i have what i have now is through a second job and my aunt passing on, I have a mortgage as welll so I've never had a lot of money. The problem is i always have given my mum the benefit of the doubt, even though she's lied and stolen and really been a *kitten* like my whole life.

sorry i thought she had moved to the uk
    Do as someone says say you put it in an isa that you cant withdraw only annually which is December 2012 then you dont have to make any excuses up as you cant access it. Your not responsible for your mother she was rsponsible for you as a child you are both adult,my brother is like your mother hes an alcholic and plays on our emotions only when he needs us Ive had a hard time with him but he only wants us when hes in need and never around otherwise.She needs to look to her brother for help its his house so hes responsible if shes homeless hun x