HOW OFTEN ARE YOU GETTING ON THAT "SCARY SCALE"

Options
I know for myself ..i try to get on that scale first thing in the morning , just before getting in the shower. But it has to be a day when i'm in good spirits. Or else grrrrrrrrrrr i'm a wreck afterwards. I think the disappointment of not seeing that number getting smaller is such a horrible feeling. I understand things take time but , holy crapdoodle ..i need to see progress to stay focused... i know it took years to let this body be created and it will take take to mold it back . i'm just wondering how often everyone else is weighing in?

I hope everyone had a wonderful thursday!

Replies

• chicklidell
    Options
    once a month...I measure, more then weigh, much better way of seeing improvements.
  • jfbbradley
    jfbbradley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    once a week
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I get on every Sunday morning...lol
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Once every 5 weeks at the Drs. office.. don't even keep a scale at home
  • hatravers
    hatravers Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every morning every little ounce loss counts lol
  • cbroadberry
    cbroadberry Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Every monday morning.
  • rheiah
    rheiah Posts: 84
    Options
    every morning
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i also weigh in every am, but i make sunday/monday my official weigh in day. I always liek to see how a bit of my negative eating impacts my daily. eg) yesterday i ate some sunflower seeds and didn't drink enough water for the day and whe i stepped on today i was .5 lb heavier.... darn water retention,lol.... so it's kinda a eye opener with me on what i need to do more often and get better at doing with eating/ drinking....
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Not very. I have honestly never been one of those people who gets obsessed about the number, but I do find that it often brings me down to see it. And, particularly when I've been making good choices and feeling really good about it, why am I gonna do that to myself? It tends to just shove me toward the who-cares-I'll-always-be-fat-so-might-as-well-eat-that-pint-of-Haagen-Dazs mentality more than it helps, so I do it rarely. I track more by how I feel and how my clothes fit.
  • Heather20646
    Options
    Every Monday morning. I do step on it every so often just to check in but I don't let it consume me if I see it go up OR down because weight fluctuates so much.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/shivaslives/view/confessions-of-a-scale-aholic-171304

There is also interesting studies out that show that people who get on the scale every day are more successful at weight loss than those that get on only once a week. I heard the author of a book called "Willpower" talk about over the weekend on NPR. Constant vigilance may be the answer as long as you can deal with the routine fluctuations without mental anguish.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    every morning before coffee or water. If I really don't want to, I know that means I better check.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I weigh in almost ever day if I remember to do so.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    a couple times a month if I remember!
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    Once a week.
  • iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    Options
    The scale has a tendency to make people go neurotic. I weigh myself once every two weeks & I measure myself once a month. Like many in here, I do not keep a scale at home. I am not so much concerned about the numbers on the scale, but rather, about how I feel & the visible results. In regards to the visible, however, its going to take time & you must be patient. Keep your chin up, mi amiga! You got this & you are doing just fine. Try to focus on other things & try not to obsess.
  • Laycock50
    Laycock50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do it every Friday morning. Gives me 5 days to repair the damage I typically do by cheating on the weekends. Also, sodium intake and other factors can cause daily water retention fluctuations that can be discouraging and don't show your true weight loss/gain trends. Good luck! Stick with it!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I would be devastated if I were to spend two plus hours at the gym, only to see my weight increase the following day. That's why I stick to once a week, first thing Saturday morning, well maybe not the first thing.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every morning, at the same time. I just like to keep myself aware of what my goals are and how far/close I am to them. Keeps me mentally in check.
  • mbgambill
    mbgambill Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I decided this time that I was not going to weigh for two weeks after starting MFP. After two weeks, I decided to wait until week three. It has now been almost 4 weeks and I am not sure I am going to weigh for a long time. My clothes are getting looser. My face is a bit less round. I am feeling successful and I have been faithful to log every bite for the past 25 days! I am so scared that if I get on that scale, the stupid number will blow it for me. If I have not lost as much as I think I should, it could blow my motivation. If I have lost enough to be happy, it could give me the feeling that I can 'cheat' a little. For now, I am staying away from the scale. In the past, I have become obsessed with the number. This time, I am trying something different!