Does it freak you out?

Options
Do you ever feel freaked out by your new size? When I lost all my wieght before I remember some times at night lying there feeling were my tummy and sides used to be, and being really freaked out kind of like I felt like I was missing an arm, or all of a suddon I felt like I had one foot off the empire state building, and the way wind blew past me was also crazy, I remembered being weighed down better lol, my fingers and hands were unrecognizable, I would stare at myself in the mirror and saw a stranger, with all that said I was on cloud nine but some times it really freaked me out, it might be because I lost it really fast I lost 50 pound in 3 months because of my job.

So I am wondering if any body else who has been over weight their whole life and then dropped all of it feels the same way?

(by the way I gained it all back and then some, so I would just say to all you wonderful ppl who have done a great job, keep track of your selves, were like x drinkers lol)

Replies

• italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't get freaked out like that. But, I do sometimes not recognized my reflection when I pass by a mirror or a window. Funny, but I guess my mind hasn't caught up with my body!

You are right, by staying on track, we will always be successful- it is a lifestyle not a diet!
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I don't get freaked out like that. But, I do sometimes not recognized my reflection when I pass by a mirror or a window. Funny, but I guess my mind hasn't caught up with my body!

You are right, by staying on track, we will always be successful- it is a lifestyle not a diet!

how much did you lose?
  • Jayneoh
    Jayneoh Posts: 20
    Options
    I get freaked out thinking about the amount I have to lose!
  • PandaPop87
    Options
    I think the thing that freaks me out the most is being able to feel my bones. And then it worries me as I have another 95lbs to go - so I'm thinking 'Am I gonna look like Skeletor?!'
  • cfergy
    cfergy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes, I too have lost a significant amount of weight before, gained and now back to losing again. I definitely got freaked out. I would just stare at the mirror in disbelief. I couldn't stop feeling my collar bones and hip bones. The first time I felt my hip bone, I didn't know what it was!! Then I realized, Oh yea, my body is changing.
    It is psychologically a struggle too. It freaks me out how fast the weight comes off my face first. I think it makes me look older, the fat isn't pushing and smoothing out the wrinkles anymore I guess. lol
  • aimesuk
    aimesuk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have felt strange the other way. Looking in the mirror it is always a shock to see myself looking back and not the slim young thing I think of myself as!

I spent a god portion on my teens doing fad diets and losing and regaining the same few pounds. I weighed 140lbs, 147 max. Wish I could've been happy there.
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes, I too have lost a significant amount of weight before, gained and now back to losing again. I definitely got freaked out. I would just stare at the mirror in disbelief. I couldn't stop feeling my collar bones and hip bones. The first time I felt my hip bone, I didn't know what it was!! Then I realized, Oh yea, my body is changing.
    It is psychologically a struggle too. It freaks me out how fast the weight comes off my face first. I think it makes me look older, the fat isn't pushing and smoothing out the wrinkles anymore I guess. lol

I agree, even though I only last 8 pounds its crazy how much my face has changed, some parts for the better, but I hate feeling more boney!!!
  • cherishpatterson
    cherishpatterson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I remember being freaked out that I could fit through turnstiles... they have them at concert events or theme parks, and in Menards. I was walking into Menards with my sister and I went to walk through the cart gate, and my sister stopped me. She told me I was thin enough to fit through the turnstile and when I did, I freaked.
  • adamsonam
    adamsonam Posts: 127
    Options

This!! =)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I remember being freaked out that I could fit through turnstiles... they have them at concert events or theme parks, and in Menards. I was walking into Menards with my sister and I went to walk through the cart gate, and my sister stopped me. She told me I was thin enough to fit through the turnstile and when I did, I freaked.

This put a smile on my face, seems your sister is very supportive.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options

:noway: That is soooo me!
  • cheermomof3
    Options
    Nice to hear I am not the only one that feels this way. It is strange to pass a mirror when you are all alone and turn around to see "who is this person walking behind me?" I also feel strange when shopping for clothes, by habit I go to the plus sizes first. As a Christmas gift my mother wanted to buy me new jeans, we went to the store and I couldn't bring myself to even try on a smaller size. I just couldn't imagine that I, who has been over weight for 20 years would not wear a plus size now. In my mind, if the jeans had not fit then all this work had been for nothing and I knew I would give up so I bought the bigger jeans! After Christmas my 14 year old daughter convinced me to try a smaller size and they to were to big. So I tried an even smaller size and WOW...could not believe that I am one size away from the size I was wearing 20 years ago before all the weight gain! I still have my fat jeans hanging in the closet, but I have moved them to the spare bedroom closet!! :smile:

12314156.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm constantly surprised by my reflection. And shopping is ridiculous! My friends MADE me go shopping for new clothes after 50 pounds (yeah, I did look pretty silly), and I kept trying on the larges or the biggest size pants, and then getting frustrated when they were way too big. It seems counter-intuitive, since I am happy and proud of myself, but I refused to buy anything in size small because it didn't seem real.
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    As simple and small of a thing as going through a turnstile, I myself am looking forward to not having to turn sideways to get through. 8 lbs down 80 more to go.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yep, I freak out too, both in good and bad ways. I look and feel skinnier and more fit--I've found my jawline again, my ankles don't swell as much, and my arms, hands and wrists are noticably smaller. My clothes are way too baggy, but I still wear them anyway. It's my security blanket. I did buy one pair of skinny jeans, but I'm usually too self-conscious to wear them. Yep, total freak out, that's me.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Mine is kind of backwards.. I dont recognize my reflection sometimes because of the weight I have gained. I used to be super thin (125lbs, currently 157) and working towards getting closer to that look..
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sounds like "Ghost Pains". I've read of people who were involved in accidents getting them. There was a guy at the foundry I used to work at who lost his arm at the elbow. One day over lunch he started to cuss for no apparent reason. I asked why, and he said his "Damn shadow was itching" (his missing hand was the shadow). His brain was translating some information and was firing it down nerve paths that no longer existed. I don't know for sure, but I've also read that the "pain" you feel when you...say... close your hand in a car door isn't "real". Your hand suffers damage, but the sensation of "pain" is only realized in the brain.

As we gain weight our surface area expands. The brain creates more nerve pathways to use for feel. Now that you've lost weight some of those are no longer used. Your brain does have spatial reasoning. So you're just fine to feel that way. Your brain remembers what position in space your hands used to be when they came into contact with your body. Now that it is different your brain is not yet used to the change, so every time you make contact somewhere else it will interpret the difference as damage and fire off some adrenaline.

It will go away. About the time you are used to seeing the new you in the mirror it will go.
  • Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Sounds like "Ghost Pains". I've read of people who were involved in accidents getting them. There was a guy at the foundry I used to work at who lost his arm at the elbow. One day over lunch he started to cuss for no apparent reason. I asked why, and he said his "Damn shadow was itching" (his missing hand was the shadow). His brain was translating some information and was firing it down nerve paths that no longer existed. I don't know for sure, but I've also read that the "pain" you feel when you...say... close your hand in a car door isn't "real". Your hand suffers damage, but the sensation of "pain" is only realized in the brain.

As we gain weight our surface area expands. The brain creates more nerve pathways to use for feel. Now that you've lost weight some of those are no longer used. Your brain does have spatial reasoning. So you're just fine to feel that way. Your brain remembers what position in space your hands used to be when they came into contact with your body. Now that it is different your brain is not yet used to the change, so every time you make contact somewhere else it will interpret the difference as damage and fire off some adrenaline.

It will go away. About the time you are used to seeing the new you in the mirror it will go.
    Interesting explanation!! Thanks. I get kind of surprised when I hold up my new smaller-sized pants - my brain hasn't quite realized that this body can actually fit into them. Weird.
  • SKINNYMESOON2B
    SKINNYMESOON2B Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would say its pretty weird and is definitly going to take some getting used to.
    sometimes i lay flat on my back and just feel my stomach. it feels so strange not having rolls and Humps. i dont get freaked out or anything but its just a new feeling.
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    Yeah my head is finally catching up to my body. I walk past people and they don't recognize me at all. It is kind of fun.

I can't wait for this summer going to amusement parks and not having a nervous breakdown about fitting into the seat.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!