PCOS

Options

Replies

• tinie08
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS too when I was 18 years old. It was a hormonal imbalance issue as well. I kinda gained a bit weight and my tendency was to always shy away from people because they always notice how much weight I have gained. Anyway, if you want to maintain a particular weight you should try taking in fruit juices daily. This is one way by which you can skip a few meals or snacks and just drink up fresh fruit juice.

One way to juice up all the natural ingredients in the veggies and fruits that you will need for maintaining your weight is by purchasing this handy kitchen gadget that will make your juicing experience, the best. Check out: http://www.juicerreviews101.com/compare-best-juicers

Remember, juicing is one way to maintaining a healthy diet and being in shape!
  • mandiemma
    mandiemma Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Could I get an invite as well please? I've been looking for it for a while now :-)
    I wanna know something: Is there a MFP group for women with PCOS? I searched but it seems there's not. I'd be a great idea...

there is it's private ill invite you
  • mattie733
    Options
    could I get an Invite to the PCOS group as well? Please.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I also have pcos and it's been horrible. I have had two miscariages and a failed IVF attempt. Have you tried giving up starches. I for the most part don't eat starches and watch the sugar. You really should follow a diabetic diet. For me that is the lifestyle change I have made. I also work out at least five times a week. I have lost 15 pounds since the first of this month.

Do you see a nutritionist? He/She may be able to advise you on foods you can have :) Best wishes!!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm not able to read all these awesome posts tonight so I apologize if this is a repeat of information already shared. I read a book called the insulin resistance diet recently and put a lot of its ideas into practice. It's been enormously helpful - I've lost 50 pounds in the past 4 months and while some of that is just because of calorie restriction, I've never succeeded like this without the advice of that book. The basics:

1. Don't go more than 4 hours between meals and snacks - that causes blood sugar to crash, which makes insulin crash, which makes your brain tell you your hungry, which means you eat to much, which makes your blood sugar spike, which makes your insulin spike, which makes your brain tell you your hungry because, with IR, you don't clear insulin at the same rate as a "normal" body. And the cycle continues...

2. Eat protein with every meal and snack.

3. For every 2 grams of carn you eat, eat at least 1 gram of protein. So, if you have 30 grams carb, you need at least 15 grams protein. This balance helps minimize insulin spikes.

4. Don't eat more than 30 grams carb at any meal or snack. (My dietitian said up to 45 at one meal was fine, as long as I didn't do that at every meal.

Hope that's helpful to someone - everyone who's interested can feel free to message me or friend request me!!

Amen, amen, amen!!
    I am also PCOS & IR.
    My weight loss DR stated to me that I should have protein early on in the day - Protein helps keep you fuller longer! 2scoops = 52protein thats just just half of the amount of protein I need for the day. WARNING: For each person the amount of protein per day be different.

I use a great protein powder. 14.99/2lbs at Walmart (Body Fortress) ( no, I don't work for the company) just working on a small budget... for me this works!:drinker:

It's a lifestyle change & YES, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

email/friend me if you like :happy:
  • Angeleyes713
    Options
    Approximately 1 of 10 women have PCOS.
    wow there are a lot of posts on this. But the many that I actually read through, none of them mentioned high testosterone (facial hair comes from this). I'm still doing a lot of research and I'm about 2 months into trying to lose weight. I started at 200 and right now I'm at 183. What I've done so far is try to eat as close to 1200 calories as possible without going under and getting a minimum of 4 days a week working out (At least one hour cardio). I don't eat the calories earned from exercise. With my latest research I found that weight training increases testosterone. So we with PCOS should mainly focus on aerobic and cardio exercises. Also more stress reducing exercises like yoga and pilates (you can still gain muscle from these). There are also certain foods and herbs that raise or lower testosterone or estrogen. I was eating a lot of broccolli, until I found out it raises testosterone. I have also read a book dedicated to PCOS, it really didn't help me any. All I really got from it was eat less, eat healthier, and get more exercise. By counting calories alone I've lost almost as much in 2 months as I did in 6 months working with a trainer at LA Fitness (not counting calories but eating healthier).
    Also something to keep in mind. You typically lose a lot in your first week of eating healthier (water weight). What to go by is what you lose after that each week. The number of pounds per week that is considered healthy depends somewhat on your BMI.
    I just heard about the HCG diet. It's a hormone that helps you shed fat faster. The hard part is that while you're taking it you should only have 500 calories a day (not much...). I still haven't figured out if you should or should not exercise with this diet or if exercising affects calories you should take in. But thought I would mention it because it has (supposedly) been known to regulate menstrual cycles (A problem for people with PCOS).
  • jcmorrison25
    jcmorrison25 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have problems with excessive hair growth on my face, neck, even on the upper part of my chest has had hair. I haven't done much research to support my thoughts or opinions, other than my own experiences. Metformin ER has been a wonderful asset over the last year of my weight loss and remember to DRINK WATER!! Yes you'll see significant weight come off immediately, but agree with the post above about monitoring it after the fact. Also I was encouraged to follow close to a diabetic diet, low carb diet. I was encouraged to get ANY kind of exercise, and over a couple years I've lost 89.6 lbs and maintained it! My periods are regular now, even without Metformin or any medication, which also is making my ovulation normal for TTC. I might always have PCOS, but I can manage it now!
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read and reply later.
  • 33lbsless
    Options
    I have PCOS and it's hard. It's like the weight never comes off. I'm on metformin which helps a lot and I've been told not to eat carbs or sugar.

I know this sounds bad but I can't lose weight eating 1200 a day; I have to go lower like around 800. You just need to find what works for you!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Hey, just curious. Does anybody here not get their periods at all??
  • jcmorrison25
    jcmorrison25 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

With or without birth control?? When I was younger I was birth control and my periods stopped and when coming off b/c I didn't start having a period for close to 6 months.
  • Newlyfe74
    Newlyfe74 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome inspiration as I will be getting married this year and will be TTC right away. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with a severe case of PCOS. I was placed on meds to help alleviate some of the symptoms of it but gained twice what I weighed. I have lost 60 so far and kept it off for 2 yrs and now have a long long weigh to go to get back down to the 105-115 range. We can all do it. Just be peristant and we can all fight together. I suggest eating as clean of a diet as possible and get rid of all the herbalife type stuff. I eat like a vegetarian on most days and then add in lean protein on other days.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Welcome! There areloads of PCOS girls hete on MFP and we have a group. Feel free to add me, i'm a long tem sufferer but am losing consistently :)
  • netchik
    Options

Have been (at longest) almost 3 years without, but am back on regular cycle thanks to my supplements. Have a blog on it here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/netchik/view/my-supplements-why-i-take-them-194363

TTC for 12 years, 2 miscarriages but still feeling positive!
  • netchik
    Options
    I just heard about the HCG diet. It's a hormone that helps you shed fat faster. The hard part is that while you're taking it you should only have 500 calories a day (not much...). I still haven't figured out if you should or should not exercise with this diet or if exercising affects calories you should take in. But thought I would mention it because it has (supposedly) been known to regulate menstrual cycles (A problem for people with PCOS).

This is not an HCG friendly site... But you willfind supporting groups for it if you search. Pregnant pee is not for me, especially when a co sistently low carb, low cal diet with exercise and balancing supplements make a world of difference. Because lets face it, whether you're ingesting pregnant pee or not, any 500 calorie diet is (a) not going to be balanced, and (b) going to be effe tive shoprt term, but screw your bdy in the long run.
  • epurucker82
    epurucker82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have Hypo and PCOS too...I tell people I can gain weight thinking about it and they laugh but it is so true. I had a cheat night and how way more salt and sugar then I'm use too and gained three pounds. I'm trying to break a plateau by shocking the system...hoping it works. But I have found that eating pretty clean and cutting sugar/carbs and salt has helped a lot.
  • epurucker82
    epurucker82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Can I have an invite too??? Thanks...PCOS and thyroid disease. Sucks
  • char19213
    Options
    Hi
    I too was diagnosed with pcos about 3 years ago and never knew that it affected my weight after my testing with my doctors nothin was done with the condition no meds/diet at all, after reading this I have just booked an appointment with my go to get some help with it, my app is on the 9th feb, so I'll see what happens.

15977941.png

Created by myfitnesspal.com-free
    caloriecounter
  • s3ychelle
    s3ychelle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and diabetes both back in 2009, i attribute to some weight gain especially my midsection carries practically all my extra weight, the rest of my body is pretty normal, people think i just eat all day like a crazy person, and i never have. past year ive had soo many problems with the pcos. i have menragia (yeh spelled wrong likely) excessive extreme menstrual bleeding yet i dont always have them for long periods in between , i had to go to the e.r. aug"11 i had 3 blood clots that caused me extreme pain for a week before i decided to go because no type of heavy med was helping - the clots were lodged in there. i was trying to find an endocrinologist because my obgyn started becoming to seem less concerned because i have to pay out of pocket, at if because i no longer have health insurance meant i dont care about my health - he sure didnt mind the money i was shelling out goin to hime 3 or 4 times with in 2 months. so..presently i tough it out unfortunately, but no period since sept "11 when i completed the 30day rx the hospital gave me.

im eating better and drinking water and going to start exercising more and see if i can get my weight down to see if it help, as ive been told. ive been using the app for about a week at least 7 days and ive lost 4lbs. ive been drinking only water with lemon slices, besides juice or milk with whatever meal, but no sodas period.

ive been reading about diets and things but im not sure about them. im gona try to do it the simple way "watch what you eat and exercise" i guess.

if this group is private id like an invite.