Want to try Yoga... where to start?

Options
... so I keep hearing how great Yoga is for you but I have no idea where to start? Is there a certain type for beginners??? Any info would be greatly appreciated....

FYI - I like to run/walk 3x per week (2-3 miles) and do Zumba as well. Also starting to use weights as well...

Regards,
Fran :smile:

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Not an expert - I just know what I like.

Hatha is a stretching type yoga; very relaxing (to me) and great for flexibilty & balance. Anyone can start here.

Power yoga (not keen on ..... yet) is great for strength training, flexibilty & balance. I'm sure there are other names for this type of yoga. Power yoga is more about "flow" linking moves together without any rest between. You need to be a little more knowledgable here.

Hatha type DVDs I like:

Rodney Yee AM Yoga for Your Week (5) 25 minutes workouts with different objectives. One is standing poses another is hip openers, etc.

Sara Ivanhoe - Yoga Body Makeover (5) 20 minutes workouts with different objectives. One is upper body, another is abs, etc.

Power Yoga - Element Power Yoga is good. 1 longer (50) minute workout. I worked up a little sweat on this. Pretty straight forward, rated intermediate (collagevideo.com) I think a newbie could pretty much do this one.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    DO NOT start with a DVD. DO NOT.

Pick a class and let the instructor know you're new. Every pose has a modification for beginners and people with less strength and flexibility.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I've started with a 10 minute DVD program, I watch via Netflix. Basic stuff with options to make it easier or harder depending on your level.
  • CoachDMarz
    Options
    Different people life different styles usually. Google or yelp and see if any stuidios in your area offer community classes or karma classes where its open to the public. Kind of cool so you can see which style you like without commiting to a membership or hurting your pocket for an expensive single class fee.
  • nicholeholzli
    Options
    I really like the WII Fit Plus Yoga. If not WII or Wii Fit Program I really like the 10 Minute Solutions Pilates. Has a program to do a warm up workout then cool down and each section is 10 Minutes.
  • mommyRN0811
    mommyRN0811 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There are lots of youtube videos if you don't want to buy a dvd. I would go with a sun salutation series. It is beginner level and works the entire body.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Pick a class and let the instructor know you're new. Every pose has a modification for beginners and people with less strength and flexibility.
    ^^^This. It is very easy to think that you're doing the poses correctly, and actually be way off base. At least starting out, it is a really good idea to take a class, learn the basics, and make sure that you are getting the most out of your workout.:smile:
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I had never done Yoga before, but I bought the Bob Harper's Weight Loss Yoga DVD and have been doing it for two weeks. You can pick your routine each time - and there is a warm-up and a cooldown selection in addition to the three different workout options. I LOVE IT!!! I haven't gotten to the third one yet, but the first two have really helped me. I have two friends that do Yoga and I let them see it; they both think Bob does a pretty good job instructing you.
  • rml_16
    Options

^^^This. It is very easy to think that you're doing the poses correctly, and actually be way off base. At least starting out, it is a really good idea to take a class, learn the basics, and make sure that you are getting the most out of your workout.:smile:

Exactly. Even people who have been doing yoga for years have trouble feeling the poses without some guidance, but at least we have a clue.

Doing a yoga pose wrong will at best rob you of any benefit of the pose and at worst can result in serious injury and even a stroke.

PLEASE start with a class. I cannot say that enough.
  • laeylyn
    laeylyn Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm thinking of giving Yoga a try again too.. I did it a few times, it was the Bikram style *hot and sweaty*... Despite feeling like I was sitting in a pile of my own sweat, the felling I got afterwards was amazing. I noticed that Netflix now has a "fitness" section and they offer a few selections for it. I tried Wii fit yoga, but that was a bust.
    What I really want is a yoga/spin class buddy.,.. If it's not for those in specific, just someone for motivation & suppport who wants to get healthier too!.. Anyone in the Portland Metro area looking for one? :wink:
  • alisonst76
    Options
    Agreed with the other posters DO NOT try yoga from a dvd only. Doing a pose wrong can cause injury. I love yoga and have been practicing for 7 years.

Take a beginners Hatha class, very relaxing and rejuvenating. Love Hatha

Ashtanga yoga is also known as power flow yoga - not recommended for beginners. There are more intense forms of yoga I haven't tried that aren't recommended for beginners either Pranayama and Iyengar

Yin Yoga is a gentle practice focusing on the hips and spine (it does work other parts as well) you hold the poses for a longer time. Also good for beginners. very meditative

Bikrim is a flow series is ok for beginners, bikrim tends to be very rigid (same thing all the time not much variation) also it is done in a HOT studio with absolutely no talking other than the instructor.

Another option for hot yoga is Moksha, it is also done in a hot studio but much more free, still follows a set of flows but the poses change from class to class. Done in silence as well, so relaxing. Google it to find a studio in your location. This is my style of choice, although I do practice hatha and yin as well.

with the exception of the power yogas it isn't a 'great' weight loss work out but it does wonders for stress, strength and flexability and just feeling good within yourself.

Yoga practice is an 'internal practice', find a good yogi and stuio and you will be happy you did.

Namaste
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    From what TeaBea says, the DVD that I like must be Hatha yoga. Its from Gaiam and its a beginner yoga. It has ver good instruction on how to do the poses.

http://www.gaiam.com/product/yoga+for+beginners+dvd+with+patricia+w.do

There is a 16 minute "Putting the peices together" work out that I have memeorized.

Though some here have said you need to take a class, I did not. I think the instruction on this video is very good. I know I would never have done yoga if I had to take a class to start.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Take a class if you have a chance. Do not go the DVD route, not only because you may do poses wrong, but it is much easier to give up. Studios usually have a free or cheap class for first timers.

There may also be a yoga group that gets together to practice.

We actually have a nightclub here that gives 3 donation based classes per week.

Have fun
  • KYMUSE
    KYMUSE Posts: 66
    Options
    Walking into a yoga studio for the first time can be very intimidating, so I think if one wanted to start with a video to get more keyed in on what it's about, it's fine-just stick with a reputable one. I've started many friends/family/clients out with the Rodney Yee Yoga for Beginners dvd and it's wonderful. The key to doing a yoga pose correctly is cueing for proper alignment, and Rodney is one of the best at it. But I do agree, if it's something you were to continue-there is nothing better than finding a yoga class and having that guidance right there with you.

I would not recommend Ashtanga-and though it's often "lumped in" with power yoga, it isn't for beginners and is a very advanced asana practice. It's a series (three different series) of 6 poses done in order. Power yoga can be countless variations of a number of poses-but still, not recommended for beginners (in my opinion) because it moves at a faster pace and if you don't know the alignment of a pose, can cause strain or injury.

Iyengar is a type of yoga that anyone of any age can do-Mr. Iyengar developed the system to be used with modifications (props: blocks, straps, ropes) so that there is no added risk of injury to the body. Highly recommend this for anyone new to yoga, a good Iyengar instructor will break a pose down and have you safe in the process.

Bikrim-don't do it. Just don't :) especially for beginners-when you heat the muscle up in a room that hot-it's very, very easy to pull, rip, displace anything on your body. Bikrim students are hard core and are basically pretzels.

Hatha-basic yoga poses done one at a time..very gentle and easy to follow (with a good teacher).

Yin-Yoga poses are held for 3-5 minutes. Sounds like torture, but you will be using props to hold your body in place. You work deep into the muscle tissue with Yin yoga and the stretch is incredible.

If you were looking for a class I would start with Hatha or Iyengar. If that seemed a little too slow for your taste, look for a Hatha Flow (moves a bit slower than a Power Yoga or Power Flow class)
  • rml_16
    Options
    Though some here have said you need to take a class, I did not. I think the instruction on this video is very good. I know I would never have done yoga if I had to take a class to start.

Just because you think you're doing the poses correctly and it feels like you are, that doesn't mean you are. Believe me.

It's DANGEROUS to try on your own before taking a class. I don't know what part of that people don't understand. It's stress-relieving and gentle, but it's not easy.

If you have a background in something like ballet, you MIGHT be OK trying it on your own, but you still are likely not doing the poses correctly without hands-on instruction.

There's no reason to be afraid to go to a class. You likely will not be the only beginner. And the wonderful thing about this exercise is that it's all about not judging others. It's entirely about doing the best YOU can do, not competing with others.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Just because you think you're doing the poses correctly and it feels like you are, that doesn't mean you are. Believe me.

It's DANGEROUS to try on your own before taking a class. I don't know what part of that people don't understand. It's stress-relieving and gentle, but it's not easy.

If you have a background in something like ballet, you MIGHT be OK trying it on your own, but you still are likely not doing the poses correctly without hands-on instruction.

There's no reason to be afraid to go to a class. You likely will not be the only beginner. And the wonderful thing about this exercise is that it's all about not judging others. It's entirely about doing the best YOU can do, not competing with others.

I have been doing this beginner DVD for 2 years and have never once felt in danger. The postions are explained well and you move slowly from position to position.

Of course we should have no fear of taking a class. Nor should it bother us to exercise in front of our husbands. And none of us should have any trouble loosing weight. Unfortunatly many of do have these phobias and issues. A well instructed DVD can be a great way to experience something new for those us that are intimidated by taking a class.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Bikrim-don't do it. Just don't :) especially for beginners-when you heat the muscle up in a room that hot-it's very, very easy to pull, rip, displace anything on your body. Bikrim students are hard core and are basically pretzels.

BikrAm yoga is targeted at everyone, especially beginners, since holding the asanas is about the correct alignment, not how much of a pretzel you are. I've been practicing for a month now, taking a class daily, and I started from a place of having a very rigid spine and very bad balance in the legs due to spinal surgery of the serious kind. Bikram teachers always tell you how to modify a pose and always always warn against over extending, over stretching etc.

I think the writer of this piece of advice hasn't practiced Bikram Yoga and is basing her opinion and advice on hearsay. We have people of all body types and abilities in our class.
  • KYMUSE
    Options

BikrAm yoga is targeted at everyone, especially beginners, since holding the asanas is about the correct alignment, not how much of a pretzel you are. I've been practicing for a month now, taking a class daily, and I started from a place of having a very rigid spine and very bad balance in the legs due to spinal surgery of the serious kind. Bikram teachers always tell you how to modify a pose and always always warn against over extending, over stretching etc.

I think the writer of this piece of advice hasn't practiced Bikram Yoga and is basing her opinion and advice on hearsay. We have people of all body types and abilities in our class.

HA-I love it..nothing gets the pot stirred like different schools of yogis. I will rescind the statement to include
    "The students and classes THAT I HAVE ATTENDED".. Better now? :) There is "no one class fits all" as to how bad a style is, nor how good. Kudos to you for finding a class and a teacher that works for you and helpful to beginners-but that hasn't been my experience. With the majority of my background and studies in the Iyengar method I will hold true to my original statement that I don't believe it's good for a beginner. Just my opinion, that's all.

(I will add-my opinion of it not being good for a beginner has much more to do with the dangers of working in a room heated to 105-110 degrees than it does with any disrespect to Mr. Choudhurry's teaching. My yoga classes are heated to 90-95 degrees and people have a difficult time with that...)
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you base your advice on the yoga you have actually practiced, I'm totally OK with that. Interestingly, after a few times of practice, the heat is not that important anymore. People make a lot of how hot it is, but hydrate well and rest when you need to and it's not that big of an issue, in my experience. I'm not superfit or anything.
  • KYMUSE
    Options
    If you base your advice on the yoga you have actually practiced, I'm totally OK with that. Interestingly, after a few times of practice, the heat is not that important anymore. People make a lot of how hot it is, but hydrate well and rest when you need to and it's not that big of an issue, in my experience. I'm not superfit or anything.

If I can make it past the first 15-20 minutes of the heat, I don't seem to notice..but I"m old and the heat kills me in the beginning :)