Am I too old to be trendy?

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
I just inwardly sneered at a chubby bald bloke with Dr Dre Beats headphones and funky, chunky purple trainers with side laces. Then I realised he'd probably the same age (if not younger!) and relative size as me.

I work in journalism, which is a very young profession with a casual dress code. Try as I might to "dress my age" I just can't bring myself to wear sensible shoes and knee length skirts.

Is there an age limit to trying to remain if not fashionable then a little bit funky?

I look considerable less laughable in my off-beat wardrobe now I've lost weight (and apparently about 10 years), and I at least gave up wearing slogan t-shirts before I hit 40!

Replies

• L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I at least gave up wearing slogan t-shirts before I hit 40!

:embarassed: Oops was I supposed to do this? I didn't get the memo...:laugh:

I think you should wear whatever clothes you feel the most confident in.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I am 47 - I say no, you are not to old. :)

As long as it looks decent on you, then I think age is not a factor at all.

Just my opinion, my summer wardrobe includes many cute trendy things, including some cute knit "mini" skirts paired with some great racer back Tank tops. (but not to short to be indecent, just come right above the knee on me)

But there are certainly things I draw the line at, as they look or (IMO) are stupid (can we say bubble skirts)

In winter I have some super cute knee high buckled military style combat type boots I wear, with a spiffy leather jacket, etc.

Its all fun, and if you are enjoying it, and the items fit correctly, and you feel great - go for it. :)

Age is only a state of mind
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY NOT! You can always be fashionable and/or funky, just make sure it's age appropriate.

Personally, I think a skirt should be at least as long as it is wide. Shoes and accessories are great for showing personality -- I work in a fairly conservative (and often frumpy) setting. Basic black is my go to uniform, but the personality shows in the animal print shoes!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I read an article recently where someone poked some fun at an "older" fellow of about 40 (old! pffft) because he had on skinny jeans and was hanging out at Starbucks. This author felt sure that we all have to grow up sometime and become bored and boring. I had no idea Starbucks was for the young but ANYWAY . . . I was pleasantly surprised to see all of the comments saying that it was ridiculous. Why should we have to stop caring about fashion and current music and why can't we just like what we like? Why must there be cut-off age where we're required to wear cardigans and loafers and listen to Barry Manilow? I plan to be dragged into old age kicking and screaming and still wearing my Chucks. :smile:
  • boldme
    boldme Posts: 4
    Options
    You're never to old to look your Best!!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options

Or me, and I'm 49!
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 and wouldn't be seen dead in sensible shoes and knee length skirts. Wear what you like as long as it fits properly. :flowerforyou:
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and I wear slogan t-shirts, high heels and skinny jeans and whatever else makes me happy. I wear what I feel confident in and you should too. There are really no rules for how you dress as long as you feel good and the clothing compliments your style.

Enjoy, life is too short to follow "rules" that make you unhappy!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    You're never to old to look your Best!!

Agreed!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Anyone with a problem about how you look is the one carrying the problem.

At our Y there is Mary - a 70 something grandma who wears skate shoes, a superman T shirt, a nose ring and has a bald head all except for a foot high mohawk. As we passed her for the first time my wife turned to me and said "I want to be that woman when I'm seventy!"
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, much appreciated, and I'm very reassured by all you gorgeous trendy MFPers of all ages!

Dress-down day tomorrow, I shall do what it says on the packet :smile:
  • BFit40
    BFit40 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You know what? Sod the rest of the world. You dress as you feel comfortable. I turned 40 a couple of weeks ago and my father has been telling me since my 30th birthday that it's completely inappropriate for a woman of my age to have long hair. This last week, I've had 4 compliments. Quite frankly, I wouldn't care if I had the positive comments or not. I like it. I'm keeping it.
    You go girl!
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and wear slogan tees. My daughter bought me one for Christmas that says 'Yoda says relax!' on it.:laugh:
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

this...i was told i shouldn't be wearing my sublime tshirts anymore at the age of 29....i say if you dont like it you can suck it.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone! I'm 45 and wear Rocket Dog sneakers with painted hearts and rhinestones glued all over them (they came that way), and I'm about to cover up the holes in my black velvet Doc Martens with little flower patches so I can wear them again! I like 'em. If nobody else does, then f 'em! :wink: I don't own any sensible shoes. Ask my dad who thinks I look like a hippie!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's how it works:

1) Do not dress like the do. You can be fashionable without getting into the fad of the day. You can usually pull off dressing down 15 - 20% of the age you look. If you look younger, say 36, then you can dress like a 30 year old.
    2) Most hot items are cut to fit bodies that haven't filled out. Someone over 28 should not wear and A&F or Holister shirt.
    3) It is okay to have the same toys (headphones, games, music). And the cool part, you have the income to pay for it.
    4) Cool is about what's on the inside. You can't put on headphones and a FUBU shirt and be hip.
    5) Before you buy anything, you need to know what the brand stands for. Seeing a 50 year old, Turkish man wearing a FUBU shirt is about the funniest thing I've ever seen in an airport.
    6) Women often get a pass most men don't.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm all about the fashion cuz that's how I roll. I almost changed my Profile Name to TheFashionDog.
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    when I get to my goal weight I'm having my daughter go shopping with me, so she can help pick stuff out, so I don't look like and old grandma anymore...I want to be trendy and hot
  • katieg2289
    Options
    There is no such thing as too old!! I'm 22 and my 42 year old sister has more style than I do! And I'm always working on my 62 year old mom's style haha :wink:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 and I have raspberry streaks in my hair. :blushing: