Am I too old to be trendy?

Options

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 45 and today I'm rockin' my silver sequined UGGs. Oh how I love these boots!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Why must there be cut-off age where we're required to wear cardigans and loafers and listen to Barry Manilow?

And seeing as how that was how I spent my teens, 20s, and early 30s (<sings> "I need your help, Barry Manilow ..."), I would really like the chance to be cool and trendy now.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am 47 - I say no, you are not to old. :)

As long as it looks decent on you, then I think age is not a factor at all.

Just my opinion, my summer wardrobe includes many cute trendy things, including some cute knit "mini" skirts paired with some great racer back Tank tops. (but not to short to be indecent, just come right above the knee on me)

But there are certainly things I draw the line at, as they look or (IMO) are stupid (can we say bubble skirts)

In winter I have some super cute knee high buckled military style combat type boots I wear, with a spiffy leather jacket, etc.

Its all fun, and if you are enjoying it, and the items fit correctly, and you feel great - go for it. :)

Age is only a state of mind

I agree age is only a state of mind. I too draw the line at certain items of clothing and just have come to a conclusion it doesn’t look good on me or not for me. I am 40 and I like to think outside of the box my Hair is different colors on any given day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I at least gave up wearing slogan t-shirts before I hit 40!

:embarassed: Oops was I supposed to do this? I didn't get the memo...:laugh:

I was thinking the same thing and I'm 50.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 and I've asked myself this questions so many times!! Especially when I decided to shave one side of my head of but leave the other side long (like singer Cassie). I think as long as your confident enough you should do whatever YOU want to do!!
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i want beiber hair, a stupid hat and urkel glasses.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    It seems someone will always poke fun at us, no matter what we wear and no matter what age.

I'm from the Pacific NW. We wear socks with sandals..because it makes sense.

I'll never give up my denim.

My dark tights will have to be pried from my cold dead legs.

I did give up bikinis. Some things are for the greater good.

.edited for verbosity....(who, moi?)
  • katieg2289
    Options
    It seems someone will always poke fun at us, no matter what we wear and no matter what age.

I'm from the Pacific NW. We wear socks with sandals..because it makes sense.

I'll never give up my denim.

My dark tights will have to be pried from my cold dead legs.

I did give up bikinis. Some things are for the greater good.

.edited for verbosity....(who, moi?)

I'm from the Pacific NW, too. We are allowed to wear socks with sandals here?? No one sent me the memo...Although I only really wear flip flops for sandals, so I suppose that wouldn't work.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    If it looks good wear it!! If you doubt you can pull it off, once you try it on, you probably can't!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Bugger. Should I throw out my "I should be in the kitchen" t-shirt along with all my band t-shirts? That's over half my wardrobe! I don't think it's so much that I like to dress young more than I've got so used to wearing this stuff and can't be ar*ed to find anything else that suits me - plus working in IT it's not going to be like I'm the only old bird in a slogan t-shirt on dress down days ;-)
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, much appreciated, and I'm very reassured by all you gorgeous trendy MFPers of all ages!

Dress-down day tomorrow, I shall do what it says on the packet :smile:

You do that Berry. I feel like I've made an effort if I'm not wearing pj's. I have a cardigan I wear on cold work from home days that does up with a bulldog clip. Definitely not something that Vivienne Westwood designed. Panicking too - was I supposed to stop wearing skinny jeans and heels too? Ahhh crap!!! :laugh:
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I am 51 and I am trendy, I am also a athletic label *kitten*. Its its not Nike or Aasics, Reebok or Under Armor I don't wear it to work out. Oh and I make stuff look good! LOL
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Just wear a suit. Suits are cool.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Just wear a suit. Suits are cool.
    [who] Bow ties are cool. [/who]
  • BerryH
    Options
    In other news, It's funky Friday! I'm wearing a top with short ruffled sleeves over a skinny long-sleeve t-shirt, boyfriend jeans that are too big cinched in with a ponyskin belt and my customised Nike ID trainers in black and turquoise with the legend "I love my shoes" embroidered on the tongues :happy:
  • BerryH
    Options
    Bugger. Should I throw out my "I should be in the kitchen" t-shirt along with all my band t-shirts? That's over half my wardrobe! I don't think it's so much that I like to dress young more than I've got so used to wearing this stuff and can't be ar*ed to find anything else that suits me - plus working in IT it's not going to be like I'm the only old bird in a slogan t-shirt on dress down days ;-)
    You know what Vanessa, I realised it was a complete lie. In at least three of my photos here alone I'm wearing print t-shirts. Even my Simpson's avatar has one! I even have a slogan running vest that reads, "I'm slow. I know. Get over it." :tongue:
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between stylish and having your own flare and being completely tacky. Just make sure you know what the boundaries are and you're good. :)
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and the things that would look silly on me now would also have looked silly on me at 20... so no change there! I wear whatever I like including slogan Tshirts...
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    You're never to old to wear what you like. If it looks good (in your opinion), wear it! Whatever you wear, some people will like it, some won't. You can only please yourself. I'm 40 and I dress younger than my years. Who cares? No one whose opinion I give a rats *kitten* about :tongue:
  • BerryH
    Options
    It's definitely a generational think. When I was growing up, even jeans were considered youth wear and you'd seldom catch someone over 30 in them, and grandparents had a licence for tweed :laugh: