Moms who have lost the weight without the gym!

Options

Replies

• Keisha2BFitAgain
    Keisha2BFitAgain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • trishftwwechanged
    Options
    Heyyy I never used a gym either, I really like the 30 day shred cause the work outs were quick. I have a son and I work 5am-11am, so the only time I had to myself I didnt want to exercise like crazy and not have anytime for myself to just read or do whatever I wanted before the next work day began. So I'd do the 30 day shred for 20 mins and have the rest of the night to myself. I made sure I stayed within my calories on MFP. At my heaviest I was around 240 and got down to 160. So don't be discouranged it is totally attainable without a gym membership. =]

My before and after.

29289ax.png
  • Lorie66
    Lorie66 Posts: 66
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has walk at home videos that has cardio, strength training and toning and you dont spend all your time on the floor. She is high energy and you see results fast with her if you stick to it. Even the kids would have fun joining in with you..she will make you smile and laugh and let you go at your own pace...I used her dvds when my husband was sick with cancer and I put on a lot of weight...she took it off of me....and it was not boring. If you want message me and I will send you a link of her beginner dvd and you can see for yourself.. :)
  • mrsjohnson75
    mrsjohnson75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 30 lbs without exercise just sticking with my daily calories..still have 10 more to lose and I need to start exercising...so this thread is great!

Keep up the good work ladies:)
  • rjbrowne82
    rjbrowne82 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I amd the proud mommy of a 2 year old . I have lost 52 pounds without stepping foot inside of a gym. I work full time and literally work out for at least 30 mins a day. I push myself on Sundays and try to get in more time. I do own an elliptical in my home which is collecting dust. I use workout DVD's and have had tremendous success with that. I recently found out that they vids on youtube so I have been doing those.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have two kids, and I work out solely at home. A lot of my mommy friends like going to the gym because they get motivated by it. I don't like going to the gym because I feel like people are looking me (I know, in reality, that they are not, but it's in my head). I guess I am just more comfortable at home. I usually do DVDs. I started following bodyrock.tv because they have a 30 day challenge workout schedule right now. But you can find their other videos also. Good luck.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Heyyy I never used a gym either, I really like the 30 day shred cause the work outs were quick. I have a son and I work 5am-11am, so the only time I had to myself I didnt want to exercise like crazy and not have anytime for myself to just read or do whatever I wanted before the next work day began. So I'd do the 30 day shred for 20 mins and have the rest of the night to myself. I made sure I stayed within my calories on MFP. At my heaviest I was around 240 and got down to 160. So don't be discouranged it is totally attainable without a gym membership. =]

My before and after.

29289ax.png

What a transformation. You look amazing.
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm a mum to an (almost) 4 year old and a 21/2 year old.

I started at 220lbs, walking for 3 hours pushing the baby in the buggy whilst the big guy did his morning playschool sessions, then progressed to doing davina workout dvds at home and occasional light jogging, then got good enough for jillian michaels dvds and tried my hand at running, now my home workout dvds consist of all JM's, turbo fire and both p90x's and i just joined the gym in november as a treat for doing so well at home :D where i now do zumba, step and spin classes, plus the gym equipment.

its totally do-able at home, when the kids are napping, or with the kids, or when they're in bed at night - i learnt quickly that as much as i wanted to sit on the sofa when the kids went to bed/nap i knew i had to get my fat a*s slim and healthy again and i'd be happier when i did.

i went from being fat, unhealthy, unsexy and depressed to well...me now :laugh: the mad woman who loves working out and racing my kids!

heres my pics from 220 to 175 (am now 166)

2927b025-1.jpg
  • peacek
    peacek Posts: 211
    Options
    I did 30 day shred for few days and saw great results.
    I never got to do the full 30 days but I think it can give you results if you stick to it!!!
  • misslegz
    misslegz Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill that I walk/run 30 minutes a day and then I have 5lb and 8lb weights that I started doing different things with. I went online to find some good workouts with those for the particular areas I was looking for. I also do side and back leg extensions and squats. They are good tone up exercises.

I have 2 kids that keep me very busy also. I am not going to waste my time going to a gym and maybe not getting the machine I want to work out on.

I cut my calories down to 1200 and some days I eat some of my work out calories back and sometimes not.

I hope this helps. Good luck and don't get discouraged. Because if the scale isn't moving you could be losing inches.
    12309460.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I understand! We're getting married in 11 months and have an 8-year-old. I work full-time and the fiance is a full-time student and works part-time. I refuse to buy a gym membership (and would need a babysitter if I got one anyway) and so I've built up a little arsenal at home: a set of hand weights, several exercise DVDs, a yoga mat, and my workout clothes. I feel like separate "workout" clothes help put me in the "hey, this is my fitness time now" mindset and I'm able to get pretty good workouts in with a variety of DVDs.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids (almost 7 and 4) and my mom and i had gotten a gym membership in 2009 to keep eachother accountable. Weeeellll we barely used it LOL. I do all my workouts at home. between zumba, kickboxing, low impact aerobics and tae bo movies, Im pretty set. we walk when its nice weather and play tennis at a nearby park.
  • angela72023
    Options
    If you have a Wii or Xbox, the Just Dance or Dance Central games are awesome! If you have Netflix, there are a ton of streaming workout videos. If you have a DVR and cable, lifetime and a couple of other channels have early morning fitness shows you can record and work out to. Good Luck!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am needing some inspiration (I haven't lost anything this last week!)

Moms (or even non-moms), how have you lost the weight without going to the gym everyday? I have 2 little kids and are a one income family, so I can't afford to go to the gym. What kind of exercises did you do to lose the weight? What have you been doing to tone up? How did you change your eating habits? How much weight did you lose? Pictures are always a plus! And thank you so much! :smile:

I'm a sahm of 4 and we are also a one income family so I cant really afford a gym membership (besides PF but I still have no sitter) so I use workout dvds, some dumbbells, and my body weight. I often use the wii (zumba). My eating habits.. I wouldn't say I eat "clean" but a lot cleaner than before. I still eat the things I enjoy but just in moderation. So far I've lost 58 lbs (duh my ticker hehe). It is very possible to lose the weight at home just gotta work hard and really want. I'm very proud to say I have come this far without the GYM lol :wink: Feel free to add me if you'd like or for support.
  • jnance82
    jnance82 Posts: 149
    Options
    I am a single mom with one income myself. I have a 10 y/o and a 2 y/o that keep me extremely busy. I do all things Jillian Michaels. I started in Oct 2011. I have done 30DS, 6 Week Abs, Ripped in 30 (which I started all over again today, but am doing the advanced moves this time), and Killer Buns and Thighs. Starting today I will be doing Ripped in 30 in the AM before the kids get up and alternating 6 Week Abs and Killer Buns and Thighs after they go to bed at night. I religiously stick to about 1200 calories a day, never more than 1300. I eat all of my calories during the day, having a protein shake for dinner every night (except Friday through Sundays :smile: ) This is what has worked for me. Not to say this is what will work for everyone, but I'm 7lbs from goal and I'm not gonna rock the boat now! Good luck!

10502719.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I leave the dust to settle for aa couple of days, then I invite a friend to visit me witin less than two hours, then I put the Heart rate monitor, energetic music and off I start to running and tidying around the house, any single thing that needs to go upstairs I do run up the stairs and leave it ther, one by one, mind, depending how much time do I have. I set targets, 10 mins for reach room, including oovering and moping!! gosh, I've lost 19 so far, put on a couple omn Cristmas!

If it's nice and sunny I try to walk into town, speed walking, I try to walk as fast as I can, then one in town I go shopping, and that burns quite a lot. I also do and did some DVDs to stay at home, some are free from youtube, feel free to add me and ask me and see do I progress.

In particular this last week I haven't done any exercise, I only ate a lot less at lunch time, and save the big meal for the evening meal. :D
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM mom of 4. Three of them boys and 1 a girl. I just had my last one 7 weeks ago and right now I am just getting my eating back under control. I started on here in September of 2010 and lost 80 pounds by March of 2011 when I found out I was pregnant with my 4th baby. I lost all of it without a gym membership. I have a treadmill at home, took LOTS of walks and used my stairs and Wii. I also used a stability ball, resistance band, jump rope and some dumb bells and made my own circuit training using a deck of cards which the three older kids really got into. Right now with the 4th one I am struggling to find time to exercise but I know soon I will be able to find the right balance and will be able to really get back into it again.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

Check out Pinterest.com for workouts you can do at home. I know---it sounds crazy, but there are some really great ones on there. And they have a TON of recipes that are low fat, on the WW plan, etc.

I agree.. I just pinned a whole weeks worth of workouts yesterday :tongue:
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 433 Member
    Options
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    I have five children and lost weight easily and quickly without the gym. Because three of them were always there I had to work around them. My mainstays were:

1/ Walking the older two to school and walking to pick them up again.
    2/ Taking the younger ones swimming twice a week. It is quiet then so while they swam around, I did short lengths in the children's pool once a week. The other time I took them to a facility where they have a dive pool and swam with them in that. You can't touch the bottom and if you don't allow yourself to touch the sides very often, you get an awesome workout. That was great for toning.
    3/ I had a treadmill in front of the TV. They could watch TV for an hour while I was on it. Won't do them any harm if you put a DVD on for them if you are doing things with them the rest of the day, you are right there and the TV keeps you distracted and interested in something while you work out. The rule I made for myself was that I couldn't stop till the timer on the treadmill said 30 minutes had elapsed and anything over that was a bonus. I usually did 40 - 60 minutes.
    4/ I wasn't counting calories but made sensible food choices and watched my portions.

It worked really well for me and I even got rid of the baby tummy I thought was a permanent feature.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!