RED TEAM IS RECRUITING! WEEK 6

Options

Replies

• andrea09
    andrea09 Posts: 124
    Options
    Okay so I have a question about exercise for you all....

I am kinda new to exercise and just recently got a "used" elliptical from a friend. Do you get the same benefits doing 15 min in the morning and 15 min in the afternoon as doing all of the 30 min in one session. The reason I am asking is that I can only do 15 min at a time. I feel like I am about to die at that point. :laugh: I do 40 min straight on the treadmill but dang this elliptical kicks me in the behind. So whats up? Is it using different muscle groups that I am not used to? So confused! :huh:

Almost and not at all...you're using the same muscles but with the read mill you're actually focusing on more cardio and less muscle, where is on the elliptical you're focusing on building the muscle and less on the cardio. Both are great for cardio, and personally I love the elliptical more because I saw more results with this then the tread mill.

As for 15 minutes here or there. No it doesn't change your 'burn rate' of calories. Just your exhaustion rate. What changes your burn rate is what type of foods you're eating and water intake. So 15 mintues here or there is good for you.

Thanks for the feedback. I have noticed that all my lower body muscles are on fire. But I also added more weight training this past week. So here is another question. I stayed the same weight this week,is it because I added strength straining? Not much of it but enough to make all my muscles feel the burn lol!
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    Question about the water challenge (and just in general):

I drink my water from a 1 liter bottle and just refill it when its empty from a gallon in the fridge. I take my bottle with me everywhere. How many bottles do I need to drink to make the 8 glasses a day? Also curious so I can track it properly on my food intake page.

Twice. Its a little over but not by much
  • anglbebe
    anglbebe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not sure I bring a 20oz bottle of water and drink that during the 30 min elliptical and strength training. I end up all red and sweaty so I guess just replacing water. but how can you tell if its what you lost as opposed to what you take in.

and 234 is fine for the start weight. I think that's what everyone's doing so I can too.
    Actually you got my weight wrong. I started 285 2 years ago but since I started here at 234 2 weeks ago currently 227 I weigh tomorrow.. But other than that Awesome job on the excel file :bigsmile: !!

I have a question. Does everyone weigh more after a workout i was 226 then after work out i was 227 or is this just me????:ohwell:

How many Andrea's:flowerforyou: are here? I'm Andrea too!

Wow sorry. My brain read 227 and 277. Sorry! Sooooo, Andrea, do you want me to use your starting weight as 234 then in my giant chart...?

Water weight...did you drink a lot of water when you worked out or replenish the water you lost after you work out? Our body changes 2 pounds each day either up or down through out the day. That's why they tell you to measure about the same time each day.<~~~~To Andrea

Lol, you forgot me in the chart >.< but then I haven't been too active on forum last week.
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options

I am kinda new to exercise and just recently got a "used" elliptical from a friend. Do you get the same benefits doing 15 min in the morning and 15 min in the afternoon as doing all of the 30 min in one session. The reason I am asking is that I can only do 15 min at a time. I feel like I am about to die at that point. :laugh: I do 40 min straight on the treadmill but dang this elliptical kicks me in the behind. So whats up? Is it using different muscle groups that I am not used to? So confused! :huh:

Almost and not at all...you're using the same muscles but with the read mill you're actually focusing on more cardio and less muscle, where is on the elliptical you're focusing on building the muscle and less on the cardio. Both are great for cardio, and personally I love the elliptical more because I saw more results with this then the tread mill.

As for 15 minutes here or there. No it doesn't change your 'burn rate' of calories. Just your exhaustion rate. What changes your burn rate is what type of foods you're eating and water intake. So 15 mintues here or there is good for you.

Thanks for the feedback. I have noticed that all my lower body muscles are on fire. But I also added more weight training this past week. So here is another question. I stayed the same weight this week,is it because I added strength straining? Not much of it but enough to make all my muscles feel the burn lol!

You're actually staying the same because you're adding muscle to your body. Which is smaller than fat, but its also heavier than fat.

If you feel like weighing you're isn't getting an acurate reading on your weight loss, then try the measuring tape.
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    I'm actually not sure I bring a 20oz bottle of water and drink that during the 30 min elliptical and strength training. I end up all red and sweaty so I guess just replacing water. but how can you tell if its what you lost as opposed to what you take in.

and 234 is fine for the start weight. I think that's what everyone's doing so I can too.
    Actually you got my weight wrong. I started 285 2 years ago but since I started here at 234 2 weeks ago currently 227 I weigh tomorrow.. But other than that Awesome job on the excel file :bigsmile: !!

I have a question. Does everyone weigh more after a workout i was 226 then after work out i was 227 or is this just me????:ohwell:

How many Andrea's:flowerforyou: are here? I'm Andrea too!

Wow sorry. My brain read 227 and 277. Sorry! Sooooo, Andrea, do you want me to use your starting weight as 234 then in my giant chart...?

Water weight...did you drink a lot of water when you worked out or replenish the water you lost after you work out? Our body changes 2 pounds each day either up or down through out the day. That's why they tell you to measure about the same time each day.<~~~~To Andrea

Lol, you forgot me in the chart >.< but then I haven't been too active on forum last week.

Not to for sure on this one. Usually my body just tells me its enough. Like my body temperatue will cool down, and I won't be thirsty after drinking water. During a heavy work out, I can drink up to 4 cups afterwards, but during my normal work out I drink up to 2.
  • andrea09
    Options

You're actually staying the same because you're adding muscle to your body. Which is smaller than fat, but its also heavier than fat.

If you feel like weighing you're isn't getting an acurate reading on your weight loss, then try the measuring tape.

I see....hmmmm
    I better go and try the measuring tape. Thanks for the idea! :bigsmile:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Question about the water challenge (and just in general):

I drink my water from a 1 liter bottle and just refill it when its empty from a gallon in the fridge. I take my bottle with me everywhere. How many bottles do I need to drink to make the 8 glasses a day? Also curious so I can track it properly on my food intake page.

If your goal is 8 8ounce glasses, then roughly 2 times. I believe there are roughly 33.814 ounces in a liter (could be off a little... doing it from memory). Therefore, that's like 2.8 ounces more than 8 8oz glasses of water. Some people consider a glass 10oz in which case, it would be like 2.4ish times you need to drink it.

Awesome, thank you. Working on my second bottle now. :drinker:
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    WOW. so many posts! Hello to all the new members!

well, I just got back from an interview, and I am pretty sure I have the job :bigsmile:

However, my eating has been thrown out of whack so it's 9:30 and I haven't had dinner....:grumble:
    so off i go to eat!

later, gals!

and great job, everyone!
  • nl_lynx
    nl_lynx Posts: 12
    Options
    hi all, late here, just checking in with my team....i am so pumped to be here with you all.. this really looks like a great group of folks!

i did read somewhere on MFP ( an article related to keeping your metabolism charged ) and it stated that it IS better to split your workouts up.....not that this is do -able for all, but the reason had something to do with burning more fat and a post exercise burn.....like all day. not sure if this makes any sense to y'all...has anyone done this and did/does it work? two different workouts...? i'd be going thru a lot of clothes!

and on the wt issue after exercising...yes, i think it is normal to gain wt...the muscles are retaining fluid for repair? this is again, info i have read, so if anyone knows the real answer, please share. i have noticed with myself if i exercise hard, the next day i don't lose as much, or at all. am sure this is different for all of us.

yes, do measure!! and if you can't do that, find a pair of smaller jeans, shorts, skirt....something and keep trying it on. eventually it will fit, and be comfy....and better yet, become loose and you will be even SMALLER!! YIPPY!

the water challenge will be a good one....i have been slacking lately, so this will be great!

g'nite all and...
    GO RED!!
  • emiliabeth
    emiliabeth Posts: 40
    Options
    and on the wt issue after exercising...yes, i think it is normal to gain wt...the muscles are retaining fluid for repair? this is again, info i have read, so if anyone knows the real answer, please share. i have noticed with myself if i exercise hard, the next day i don't lose as much, or at all. am sure this is different for all of us.

I've definitely noticed that I weigh more after exercising - and if it's a really hard-core workout I still weigh more the next day. But I'm always back to where I started the day after.

Thanks for this, I've never heard this idea backed up before, I've only ever noticed it for me personally!
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Good morning, remarkable red team!

It is darker here than it was all night! And it is pouring! And I was just about to leave to go to the gym, but the wind is blowing so hard, I think it might push me off the road! I suppose I should wait a bit until this eases up. :ohwell:

Well, yesterday I used the elliptical for 55 minutes until my ribs started killing me (for you newbies to our team, my ribs are fractured ... and healing... long story), so I burned like 650 calories. Then, I ate fairly well all day. Except I ate A LOT. MFP says to eat back all of your exercise calories and I understand why, but man, it feels like soooo much! Perhaps I won't eat back ALL of them, just some. I'll change it up and try it out and see what works best.

Anyhow, I'm off to try to wake up my brother and tell him it's time for him to get ready for school. He's going to be quite crabby since it's pitch black outside, pouring, etc. Oh well.

I might post an updated spreadsheet later, since there's been a few changes.

Jess - great job with your interview! :smile:
  • anglbebe
    Options
    Congrats on the interview!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
    WOW. so many posts! Hello to all the new members!

well, I just got back from an interview, and I am pretty sure I have the job :bigsmile:

However, my eating has been thrown out of whack so it's 9:30 and I haven't had dinner....:grumble:
    so off i go to eat!

later, gals!

and great job, everyone!

I've definitely noticed that I weigh more after exercising - and if it's a really hard-core workout I still weigh more the next day. But I'm always back to where I started the day after.

Thanks for this, I've never heard this idea backed up before, I've only ever noticed it for me personally!

I am glad I'm not the only one. :happy:
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Good morning Red Team!!!

I'm soo glad the challenge is drinking water because I LOVE water and never have a problem with this. Also, it's my TOM for me, started today and I have endometriosis so I always have really horrible cramps that make it hard to even sit still or walk. Also my allergies are going haywire and I can't breathe so unfortunately I won't be working out too much this week :( This is the first time I've had to deal with TOM coming because I just started my new lifestyle in May. At least I lost almost a half pound yesterday so I'm ok with that. Hope you all have a great day and drink up!!!!!

~Ari :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • andrea09
    Options
    Good morining Red Team!! Hope everyone has a healthy day...drink your water! Wont be a problem for me today...it is really hot here and that always makes me drink more water.

Ari- I know just how allergies are! I have them and some days I am down for the count. They can be the worst.

Jess- Great job with the job interview..those can be so hard.

Have a great day everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • jlhcrh3
    Options
    Good Morning, everyone!

Well yesterday, besides the fact that my dinner was late at night, my eating went great! Today I got to sleep in for a couple more hours since we are working out tonight! It's going to be a tough one, especially since I am still pretty sore from the one on Sunday!! I also got some sunburn :sad: I am a redhead and have fair skin and so I burn easily and bad! Luckily it's just one spot, instead of like my whole body, where I guess I missed with the sunblock.
    So, the interview--I already got two uniform shirts! She is still going to check my references and they have to do a background check and abuse registry check, but it's pretty much a done deal. There is usually a second longer interview after the first one, but she said she's going to skip it because she thinks there's something about me..!:bigsmile:

Mel--how are the ribs? feeling any better at all?

Andrea--yes, I always get so nervous! that's part of the reason I had to eat dinner so late. the appointment was at 7pm (odd, I know) and I was too nervous before it to even eat a snack!

Arienna--Sorry to hear about the endometriosis (spelling?). Just keep your eating on track this week and if you feel like it some days, maybe some light exercise, or stretching. :flowerforyou:

Well I've got to babysit today and I'm running so behind!
    Hope you all have a great day!
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Jess - yes, feeling a little bit better. Breathing is no longer painful... just heavy breathing. I quit after 30 minutes on the elliptical this morning. Less than yesterday, but that's ok.

And again, congrats on the interview. If you don't mind my asking, what job?
  • jlhcrh3
    Options
    Jess - yes, feeling a little bit better. Breathing is no longer painful... just heavy breathing. I quit after 30 minutes on the elliptical this morning. Less than yesterday, but that's ok.

And again, congrats on the interview. If you don't mind my asking, what job?

That's good! (on the breathing!) Don't worry about going less than yesterday, you don't want to push yourself too hard. The main thing is that you did it today anyway! Fractured ribs and all!

It's a position as a server for the dining services at a nursing home/assisted living place. i was totally surprised and amazed at the starting hourly rate though, but it is in a "hot spot" area so it's on the higher end:smile:
  • anglbebe
    Options
    Afternoon everyone!! I wanted to up date my weight. 227.5 up a half a pound :mad: . I hope everyone has a better time than I did.
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    I got a membership to the YMCA! I'm so excited!
  • andrea09
    Options
    I got a membership to the YMCA! I'm so excited!

Woo Hoo! That should be a ton of fun. I wish we had one around where I live. :flowerforyou: