What do I do with Almond Butter?

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
I have never tried almond butter before but have wanted to. I found these little packets in Kroger that are like single serving samples. I decided that would be the best thing to buy in case I hate it (although that's not likely... I like just about everything).

What do I do with it though? I assume you use it like peanut butter, but what do I do with it other than put it on bread?

What do you use almond butter for?

Replies

• netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    - in shakes when you're trying to add calories at the end of the day
    - on celery sticks
    - on toast yummeeeeeee
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I usually eat it off a spoon....
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It is so good on toast. We only eat Ezekiel bread now so I toast they and slap some almond butter on instead of peanut butter. It is so good.
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    in oatmeal or other hot cereals, with celery, with apple slices, with honey on a warmed corn tortilla, mixed with cocoa powder on toast....
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    atop oatmeal! it should be maple almond butter though. justin's maple almond butter to be exact. but after you top your oatmeal with it you'll probably just start eating it straight from the jar, often and without shame. that's what i do anyway.
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    You could use it in place of peanuts for Thai peanut sauce. I did that tonight with cashew butter. OMG! Awesomeness!
  • KBGirts
    Options
    atop oatmeal! it should be maple almond butter though. justin's maple almond butter to be exact. but after you top your oatmeal with it you'll probably just start eating it straight from the jar, often and without shame. that's what i do anyway.

It is exactly that.... Justin's Maple Almond Butter.

Putting it in oatmeal is a great idea, but oatmeal is one of the very few things I don't like. I'm not a picky eater at all, but I hate oatmeal. It may make it better, but I doubt I will want to eat it.... I've tried everything in the oatmeal department.
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    Double posted.
  • KBGirts
    Options
    It is so good on toast. We only eat Ezekiel bread now so I toast they and slap some almond butter on instead of peanut butter. It is so good.

What is the difference in Ezekiel bread and regular bread? I've often wondered.....

Google time.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I put a tablespoon in my protein smoothie ...... Walnut milk, frozen raspberries, scoop vanilla protein powder and some almond butter - yummmooo - best dang "milkshake" ever - and if I have one of these for breakfast it will keep me going till lunchtime....

Eat out of the spoon - verrryyy addictive
  • KBGirts
    Options
    I'm about to just eat it.... with a spoon!
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    With a spoon and after a hard work out. I buy the individual packs and the jars.
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The obvious use for almond butter is definitely bread/crackers/celery/etc, the spreadable options. But there are lots of other things you can do with it too! For example:

-Mix it into your oatmeal or yogurt.
    -Add it to your smoothie or protein shake (I ALWAYS add a serving of nut butter, either PB or AB)
    - Dip your veggies in it (sounds crazy, but it's especially good on carrots)
    -Make almond butter granola: http://www.pbfingers.com/2011/09/16/granola-recipe-roundup/
    -Make Mmm Sauce : http://peasandthankyou.com/2011/04/12/wannabe-recipea-mmmm-sauce/
    - Eat it straight from the jar. :-/ lol

I'm sure there are lots of other great ideas out there for it too! I love almond butter so I hope you find some awesome ways to enjoy it too!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Use it exactly like peanut butter. I like using it as a gel substitute for runs sometimes or just as a snack.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    toast up a bagel thin and put almond butter and sugar free jam on it .. or as a snack maybe with some whole grain crackers or kashi crackers ..some folks put it in celery sticks but then that seems too much like a diet to me lol.... i love almond butter!!!
  • BetterMe99
    Options
    Its good in cookies and candy but I thought the idea was to keep away from the junk food. Why almond butter.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Spread it on a toasted spicy fruit (English) muffin and top with banana - my favourite snack before a long run.
  • lucasnjewels
    lucasnjewels Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had to add in extra calories by the end of the day and just ate it off the spoon (measuring spoon that is). Super yummy. I personaly like the crunchy version.
  • allaboutfamily
    allaboutfamily Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used it last night for the first time to make protein bars-in place of the peanut butter that I usually use
  • lucasnjewels
    lucasnjewels Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Okay so I change my preious answer!! I just put it in greek nonfat plain yogurt with a bit of honey (trying to get my calories up) and it was FABULOUS!!! My new favorite snack!!