Shakeology?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I actually drink Shakeology most every day. It's made with over 70 whole ingredients, nothing artificial and the protein is not concentrated. It's not just a meal replacement but a nutritional supplement. It's also recommended by the American Diabetes Association. It's equivalent to 2 servings of fruit and vegetables. I prefer Chocolate. Another great thing about Shakeology is you don't have to drink it the same way. There's a 30 day recipe calendar that comes with it. I prefer it with PB 2, almond milk, a little and mixed in a blender.

Please stop lying to people, it is not all natural. And of those 70 ingredients how many are in dosages that have been shown to have some benefit to humans?
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Ladies! I appreciate your honesty... I was kinda wondering. I'm ok with doing it the old-fashioned diet & exercise way! :o)

I vote we sticky this and this response. Lovely. You are lovely.

The best thing Ive seen or heard all day :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I think I'm going to go with the masses here. With not a single vote FOR Shakeology, I think I'll just mosey my way down the au natural route. I am going to buy Turbo Fire eventually! :o)
    I like you...
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Waste of money
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    its totally unnecessary. can you lose weight with it.....yes. can you lose weight without it........yes
  • Bal4Life
    Options
    I actually drink Shakeology most every day. It's made with over 70 whole ingredients, nothing artificial and the protein is not concentrated. It's not just a meal replacement but a nutritional supplement. It's also recommended by the American Diabetes Association. It's equivalent to 2 servings of fruit and vegetables. I prefer Chocolate. Another great thing about Shakeology is you don't have to drink it the same way. There's a 30 day recipe calendar that comes with it. I prefer it with PB 2, almond milk, a little and mixed in a blender.

Please stop lying to people, it is not all natural. And of those 70 ingredients how many are in dosages that have been shown to have some benefit to humans?

Really???? WOW, Shakeology is the best thing that I have done for my body. I no longer have to take a multivitamin daily. It is gluten free and has helped my body in so many ways. I will not go on and on to you about it though since you seem to have done no research about it!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    it is pretty fantastic but there are cheaper equivalents out there.

we did some research and found one we will be ordering next month instead of shakeology. just cant afford the price al the time.

but it does make you feel fantastic, keep you regular, give you energy and cut cravings.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've done Shakeology and Body By Vi. Personally, I love meal replacement shakes because when I'm running short on time I just blend one up and go. I actually like both flavors of Shakeology, but I couldn't afford to keep drinking it...and not to mention the HORRIBLE GAS that went along with it!!!! Body By Vi, tastes great but is loaded with all sorts of artificial ingredients.

As soon as I finish this bag of BBV shakes, I will be purchasing the BB Meal Replacement Shakes. Check into them if you will also be buying Turbo Fire!

P.S. I love Turbo Fire!!!!! lol
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Spinach + fruit + whey + milk/juice/water

You're welcome.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Really???? WOW, Shakeology is the best thing that I have done for my body. I no longer have to take a multivitamin daily. It is gluten free and has helped my body in so many ways. I will not go on and on to you about it though since you seem to have done no research about it!

You are correct i did zero research on it, however take a read. That being said if people were still interested in the product i would say Ric seems like a good guy to talk to as he seems more knowledgeable then 99% of the coaches i've seen posting

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/445106-is-shakeology-overpriced

How about this?

the latest blog posting on Yacon (http://www.shakeology.com/web/shakeology/the-blog). The studies that were linked to had subjects consume Yacon syrup (not powder like ShakeO) in dosages ranging from .14-.29g per/kg of bodyweight in one study to 20g a day in another study, yet the entire prop blend that contains Yacon is only 1.15g. So if a person weighed 18lbs and the entire blend was Yacon, maybe it might be of some benefit. OR it's much more likely that it's severely underdosed.

Yacon syrup: beneficial effects on obesity and insulin resistance in humans. Clin Nutr. 2009 Apr;28(2):182-7. Epub 2009 Feb 28.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19254816
    "We used two doses of yacon syrup, 0.29 g and 0.14 g fructooligosaccharides/kg/day"

Effect of Yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius) on Colonic Transit Time in Healthy Volunteers
    Digestion 2008;78:30-33
    http://content.karger.com/produktedb/produkte.asp?typ=fulltext&file=000155214

"in a dose of 20 g daily"
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

I will not go on and on to you about it though since you seem to have done no research about it!

You must be new here....
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude! Go get 'em!

A side note..... I discovered that a lot of people that endorse shakeology, are selling it TOO. So, that seems a bit shady. I have tried some and thought it tasted just like chemicals. It was weird. My mother tried some and told me it was like someone put medicine in her drink. Awful. I think if a company has to have tips on how to make it taste better, then they are doing something wrong to begin with.
  • DavidScottGinn
    DavidScottGinn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I was updating my goal settings when I so your post pop up. I don't usually jump into these discussions, but Shakeology was a part of my 2011 transformation. Read about it at www.xfit.org if you want to.

Full disclosure, I am a Beachbody Coach.

Could i have lost the weight without Shakeology? Of course.

Did I have to educate myself about nutrition and change my eating habits? Absolutely.

Did I have to workout? Hell yes! I did all 90 days of P90X, then all 60 days of Insanity.

I don't drink Shakeology as a weight loss, meal replacement, or protein shake. I drink it for its nutritional value. In my opinion, comparing it to other protein shakes, or other meal replacement shakes is like comparing apples to oranges.

I wonder if the negative commenters actually used the product for 30 days then took advantage of Beachbody's "bottom of the bag" guarantee by returning the empty bag for a refund. Have they actually compared the nutrient list to other products?

Shakeology is a premium product which is why it costs $4 a shake instead of $1. Personally, I'm worth it.

As for the taste, I prefer Chocolate. But even if Greenberry, whose taste I don't really enjoy, was the only flavor, I'd still drink it. I think it's that good for my body.

BTW, the vegan formula Tropical Strawberry will be available on Valentine's Day.

Anyway, like I said, I don't normally comment, and hope I don't start a flame war. I just wanted to share my experience. Thanks.
  • healthylife_tx
    Options
    I have used Shakeology for about a year, my experience has been positive. I use the chocolate which I have come to like quite a lot, the greenberry, in my opinion, is barely edible.
    Please understand Shakeology is a meal replacement NOT a protein shake. I make this point because there are a few people on MFP that are critical of Shakeology and throw it into the protein shake category. The criticism has to do with price, ingredients, and the fact that people make money by selling the product (evidently, these critics are buying their protein powders from non-profit organizations) so be ready for the critics. If you are looking for a cheap protein shake, Shakeology is not it. If you are looking for a healthy, quick, and easy meal, it may be for you. I like it for the following reasons.
    • Quick and easy to make. I have a shake every day at work and use a Cuisinart(sp?) hand mixer that is a great mixer for blending these shakes and crushing the ice to a fine shake consistency. I just mix it with ice and water.
    • Nutrition. I am assuming since you are considering Shakeology that you have already done some research. If not there is some good information on the Shakeology website.
    • Knocks out cravings. I have found that Shakeology keeps me full and killed my cravings for junk & fast food.
    • Price. I use it as a meal, and pay $3.00 per shake since I am a BBcoach. In my opinion $3.00 is a pretty good deal for a full lunch.
    Message me if you want any more information, I promise I will not try to sell you anything, just here to help.

I used Shakeology before and did lose some weight with it. I will admit that my underlying food addiction got in the way of being more successful with it. HOWEVER, I love what you wrote about it here!! I LOVED it when I used it. I actually used 1/2 scoop of greenberry & 1/2 scoop of chocolate b/c both alone were overpowering to me. I mixed in bananas, some soy milk, and various frozen fruits in a blender & used it as breakfast. It filled me up until lunch with no hunger between at all. Not only did I love using it for breakfast, but I LOVED all the vitamins and everything in it!! I felt great using it - much better than just taking a multivitamin!!

I really think it depends on what you're expecting to get out of it. For me, it was healthier than anything else I was eating. I wasn't necessarily using it for weight loss. I didn't expect it to be some "lose weight quickly" type of thing. I was using it for overall nutrition and vitamins and everything in it and as one meal each day. I ended up stopping it simply because of my food addiction and because it was more expensive than just making some eggs or having cereal in the morning. However, I did love it and loved how I felt while using it. I'd love to be able to use it again at some point, but now I've just been making my own smoothie out of frozen fruit and fruit juice in the mornings & having that..... but I know I could get many more nutrients with Shakeology!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    I love your attitude! Go get 'em!

A side note..... I discovered that a lot of people that endorse shakeology, are selling it TOO. So, that seems a bit shady. I have tried some and thought it tasted just like chemicals. It was weird. My mother tried some and told me it was like someone put medicine in her drink. Awful. I think if a company has to have tips on how to make it taste better, then they are doing something wrong to begin with.

Seems like a lot who are posting in favor of it are "coaches."
  • drea73
    drea73 Posts: 20
    Options
    I can say that I am NOT a Beachbody coach. I have tried it and I liked the chocolate. When I used it I was not hungry and did have plenty of energy.

That said it's expensive at $4 per serving. Since I tend to have 2 meal replacement meals a day, it puts it way out of my budget. I have been using Ideal Shape meal replacement shakes and I think they taste better than Shakeology. They seem to be the next best thing but Shakelology does have more nutrients and with the Ideal Shape I am hungry more.

I don't use Meal Replacements for calorie cutting. I use them because my biggest obstacle is meal skipping during breakfast and lunch and then over eating at dinner and snacking on high calorie foods at night. Using meal replacements keep me from skipping meals which we all know is terrible for our metabolism, plus they are quick and easy and I don't have to "think" about food for 2 meals a day. I mix mine with almond milk and some PB2 and they are great. I truly enjoy them and honestly even on my "cheat day" I tend to still do my shakes for breakfast and lunch because even though I work from home, I just don't take time to prepare food for breakfast and lunch. So meal replacement shakes are a good option for me that I could do long term.

Oh and I don't sell Ideal Shape shakes either. I hope this helps.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Food for thoughts:

At the bottom of their nutritional facts, there is a note that says:

''NOTE: Shakeology contains suma root, a rich source of many phyto-nutrients, including ecdysterone, which has significant health benefits. Ecdysterone is a naturally occurring phyto-chemical compound that could be erroneously detected and flagged in synthetic steroid screening tests. That unfortunate reality caused the NFL and WADA to add ecdysterone to the list of banned substances in 2010. Athletes and anyone subject to banned substances testing should consult with their physician and athletic organization. ''

Banned substance, hey!

Source: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=shakeology+ingredients+list&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http://myshakeology.com/uploads/fckeditor/mdbody/File/downloads/ShakeologyCocoa.pdf&ei=bSsiT7yPIYvaiQLN-LnpBw&usg=AFQjCNHmq7XCBaJ1Izgu4Ya-2AzRHoN3Pw

Or simply Google ''shakeology ingredients list''
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

But that would be asking for scientific evidence, and everyone knows Science Is Evil. We're much better off listening to the wisdom of the sales people ... er, I mean "coaches" ... on this. They have our best interests at heart ... never mind the profits, that's just a side effect.

Regarding "all natural" ... botulin toxin is all natural. So is the cyanide found in apricot and peach pits. So is the solanene found in green potatoes, and the oxalic acid found in rhubarb leaves. They're all natural .. .and by the way, they'll all kill you.
  • LoriMunzerForth
    LoriMunzerForth Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here's an article by Bloomberg Business Week on the creator of Shakeology Daren Olien. Great article by Bloomberg Business Week on the creator of Shakeology. He and Shakeology have also been featured in O Magazine

http://mobile.businessweek.com/magazine/the-adventures-of-superfood-man-01262012.html?chan=magazine+channel_features

You decide.
  • LoriMunzerForth
    LoriMunzerForth Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here's the list of ingredients along with the daily values. Unfortunatley I couldn't download the .pdf so I copied and pasted.

% Daily Value**
    Calories 140
    Calories from Fat 10
    Total Fat 1 g 2%
    Cholesterol 15 mg 5%
    Sodium 100 mg 4%
    Total Carbohydrate 17 g 6%
    Dietary Fiber 3 g 12%
    Sugars 9 g
    Protein 17 g 34%
    Vitamin A (as beta-carotene) 5000 IU 100%
    Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 180 mg 300%
    Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) 200 IU 50%
    Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl succinate) 15 IU 50%
    Vitamin K1 (as phytonadione) 40 mcg 50%
    Vitamin B1 (as thiamin HCL) 1.5 mg 100%
    Vitamin B2 (as riboflavin) 1.3 mg 77%
    Vitamin B3 (as niacin) 5 mg 25%
    Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCL) 2 mg 100%
    Folic acid 200 mcg 50%
    Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin) 6 mcg 100%
    Biotin 90 mcg 30%
    Pantothenic acid (as d-calcium pantothenate) 5 mg 50%
    Calcium (as dicalcium phosphate) 500 mg 50%
    Iron (as ferrous fumarate) 4 mg 22%
    Phosphorous (as dicalcium phosphate) 250 mg 25%
    Iodine (as kelp) 52 mcg 35%
    Magnesium (as oxide) 80 mg 20%
    Zinc (as zinc oxide) 6 mg 40%
    Copper (as copper oxide) 0.8 mg 40%
    Manganese (as manganese amino acid chelate) 2 mg 100%
    Chromium (as chromium amino acid chelate) 60 mcg 50%
    Molybdenum (as sodium molybdate) 30 mcg 40%
    Whey protein (isolate) 15 g †
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value**
    PROPRIETARY SUPER-FRUIT BLEND: 2075 mg †
    Acerola powder (fruit), Camu-Camu powder (fruit),
    Pomegranate powder (fruit), Bilberry powder (fruit),
    Blueberry powder (fruit), Lycium (Goji) powder (berry), Açai
    powder (berry), Cordyceps, Maitake powder, Reishi powder,
    Citrus bioflavonoids, Rose Hips powder (fruit), Schisandra
    powder (berry), Suma powder (root), Gingko powder (leaf).
    Maca powder (root) 1000 mg †
    Sacha inchi (Plukenetia volubilis) meal 1000 mg †
    Yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius) powder 1000 mg †
    Flax (seed) meal 700 mg †
    Chia (seed) meal 500 mg †
    Chlorella 350 mg †
    Spirulina 350 mg †
    Hydrilla 300 mg †
    Apple pectin powder 250 mg †
    Astragalus powder (root) 200 mg †
    Blue green algae 200 mg †
    Spinach powder 200 mg †
    MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) 150 mg †
    Pea fiber 150 mg †
    Quinoa (sprouted) 150 mg †
    PROPRIETARY NONDAIRY 150 mg †
    PROBIOTIC BLEND:
    Bifodobacterium longum, Lactobacillus acidophilus,
    Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1, Lactobacillus bulgaricus,
    Lactobacillus casei, Streptococcus thermophilus.
    Stevia 135 mg †
    PROPRIETARY ENZYME BLEND: 130 mg †
    Amylase, Papain, Cellulase, Lactase, Lipase, Protease, Bromelain.
    Ashwagandha powder (root) 100 mg †
    Barley grass 100 mg †
    Kamut grass 100 mg †
    Oat grass 100 mg †
    Wheat grass 100 mg †
    Amaranth (sprouted) (Amaranthus hypochondriacus) 50 mg †
    Grape seed extract (seed, 95% proanthocyanins) 50 mg †
    Green tea decaffeinated extract 50 mg †
    (leaf, 50% polyphenols)
    Holy basil powder (leaf) 50 mg †
    ** Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    † Daily Value not established
    OTHER INGREDIENTS: Fructose, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, chocolate powder, guar gum, natural vanilla flavor, and cinnamon powder.
    ALLERGY INFORMATION: Contains milk-based ingredients and is manufactured in a plant that also processes soy ingredients.
    Shakeology is gluten free and caffeine free.
    NOTE: Although highly nutritious, Shakeology does not meet all of your daily dietary needs and should not be the only meal you consume throughout any given day.
    WARNING: Consult with a healthcare professional if pregnant, breast feeding, or if you have any other unique or special needs. Keep out of reach of children.
    © 2010 Beachbody. All rights reserved. Distributed by Product Partners, LLC, Santa Monica, CA 90404. Product Partners, LLC, is the owner of Shakeology,
    Beachbody, Beachbody Nutritionals, Team Beachbody, and all related designs, copyrights, trademarks, and proprietary rights.
    If you are a member of the Team Beachbody® community, contact your Coach for information and support or log in at TeamBeachbody.com.
    For Beachbody and Team Beachbody Customer Service, please call 1 (800) 818-5174 or go to Beachbody.com.
    *These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
    DIRECTIONS: Add 1 full scoop (48 g) of Shakeology powder to 1 cup (8 fl. oz.) cold water or beverage
    (milk, soy milk, rice milk, etc.) and mix. It can also be mixed in a blender with ice for a creamy, frosty smoothie.