This is appalling...

Options

Replies

• NakedLunchTime
    Options
    That's great. If you can afford it. And I don't have a clothes budget I can pull from. Very, very unrealistic for most of us.
    Oh ya..watch the video..maybe it will make you realize what the OP is saying!!!

I've seen the video before. Seen Food, Inc. Read John Robbin's Diet for a New America. Watched Morgan Spurlock. I'm not uneducated about these issues. But sometimes you have to get over it. When you're unemployed or living on food stamps, it's simply not an option. It's the best I can do to buy frozen vegetables and any sort of meat. When I do pick up something at my local co-op, I see people walking out with $200 bills with hardly anything in their bags. $200 is my budget a /month/ for /two/ people. I'm simply saying that despite the horrors, which most of us know about, it's not viable for most of the population. /shrug

Sorry, I re-read what I wrote and it sounds pushy through text lol..I do absolutely get what your saying..that video just scared the s*** outta me!! lol
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    wow. That is all I can say.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    And whoever said that free range equals organic is wrong, respectfully. Just because chicken might say "organic" on the package does NOT mean they are raised cage free and vice versa. And that's according to the butcher at Whole Foods.
  • KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have just recently made the change to organic for my family and myself and I have to say, it's really not that much more expensive. Especially if you think about what you're NOT consuming. In the end, for my family and me, it's totally worth it and I will not go back. If you can stop buying all the prepackaged, processed foods and turn to organic whole foods, you will save money!

just wondering how you are saving money?

i am a stay at home mommy and my husband is active duty military, our daughter is 11 months. we have a TIGHT grocery budget to include formula, and barely leave the store with enough to get us by until the next paycheck. from what i personally have seen, organic is quite a bit more expensive, and thus we would leave the store with even less in our bags.

please let me know if you have secrets.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    And whoever said that free range equals organic is wrong, respectfully. Just because chicken might say "organic" on the package does NOT mean they are raised cage free and vice versa. And that's according to the butcher at Whole Foods.

Even cage free does not mean the chickens weren't raised in cages. 'Cage free' means that animals are not individually caged.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    That's great. If you can afford it. And I don't have a clothes budget I can pull from. Very, very unrealistic for most of us.

I've seen the video before. Seen Food, Inc. Read John Robbin's Diet for a New America. Watched Morgan Spurlock. I'm not uneducated about these issues. But sometimes you have to get over it. When you're unemployed or living on food stamps, it's simply not an option. It's the best I can do to buy frozen vegetables and any sort of meat. When I do pick up something at my local co-op, I see people walking out with $200 bills with hardly anything in their bags. $200 is my budget a /month/ for /two/ people. I'm simply saying that despite the horrors, which most of us know about, it's not viable for most of the population. /shrug

I am not sure why all frozen foods get such a bad rep? Unless you are buying all local fresh fish, fruits and vegetables they are shipped from somewhere on by truck for days. Many frozen products are cleaned and flash froze right then and there and preserve more nutrients. Plus those frozen strawberries could be frozen in season at their peak and eaten later in the winter months. Sure, a sodium preservative filled meal may have a bad rep but if you can't get local fresh, frozen is the next best and I don't bat an eyelash at 10mg of sodium per serving. Yes, too much sodium isn't good but you actually do need sodium. Your heart actually does need it, the amount varies per person. It is possible to have too low of sodium. Ask a Cardiologist.

I agree, not everyone can afford organic and grass-fed all the time or much at all. For many its hard enough to get by on much of anything. I do my best to by grass-fed, local and Organic but sometimes I have to limit or go without that product until the next week. And if things were to get worse, then I will worry more about just having the healthiest food possible to feed my children.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Yeah, honestly I didn't care about eating local and organic until I had a child. It's truly terrifying to think of all the harmful foods out there, that aren't blatant, like twinkies, but freakin BEEF and APPLES.

As far as frozen, I don't know much about how healthy it is because they DO save nutrients by flash freezing or whatever, but blech just the taste of eating anything frozen is gross. Especially when you don't know how long it's been sitting in that freezer at the store.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I re-read what I wrote and it sounds pushy through text lol..I do absolutely get what your saying..that video just scared the s*** outta me!! lol

Oh, I totally get you. It /is/ appalling. I tried vegetarian, and my body simply didn't work well with it. That happens. My ex-brother-in-law got extremely sick on a vegetarian diet. There are risks to any diet, really. I also live with a Texan. If I pulled a no-meat diet with him, we wouldn't last long. ;} Now if I had the money and the luxury, I would certainly buy better foods. But I can't.
  • hermightychelle
    hermightychelle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm totally a Wal-mart shopper and would love to get away from this. I'm uneducated on the organic products and appropriate meat products we should consume. Anyone familiar with places I could go in the south Houston, Pearland and surrounding areas for these products. Any good websites to get me started?

I know I could/should feed my family better but the one-stop-shops are just so convenient and I just don't know enough about it. Thanks for any advice!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I always buy organic milk, eggs and meat. To me it is worth it, and they just taste better!

No, no , no!!! A hen who has laid an organic egg hasn't necessarily lived a good or healthy life, she's just been fed "organic" feed. The eggs need to be organic AND free range.

In the US, organic chicken is free range. Certified organic means animals are fed organic feed, allowed access to the outdoors and not given antibiotics or growth hormones. The 'free range' label only means that birds have access to the outdoors, but regulations do not say how often and for how long.

No, chickens having access to the outdoors is called Cage Free and that is most likely what is labelled "organic" by the USDA if they are fed organic feed (which most likely is vegetarian, which is NOT what chickens eat).

FREE RANGE means they are left to their own instincts of hunting and pecking for bugs, worms, grass, etc and they are free to roam the land.
  • treatdream
    treatdream Posts: 104 Member
    Options

It's not about being perfect. It's about being aware, educating people and doing the best you can - even if that means you swap out 1 gallon of your usual brand of milk for organic once a month. I know it's hard and I do not have disposable income but we as the consumers have to demand better quality, and purchase better quality to make it more accessible and cheaper.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I spend very little on food actually through CSA and Coop and getting meat, eggs and raw dairy from local farmers.
  • treatdream
    Options

Exactly this. I don't take trips to the salon or tend to purchase new clothes and shoes. I do what I can, when I can but taking the moral high ground is easy when you have any sort of disposable income.

Those were merely suggestions for people who do. I do not have disposable income either but my point was that I sacrifice what I can to try and make a difference. Thanks for doing what you can, that's all we can do. Just being aware & trying to educate people is a good start.
  • treatdream
    Options

I spend very little on food actually through CSA and Coop and getting meat, eggs and raw dairy from local farmers.

This is very true. Plus you are supporting local which is very important too. Thanks for all your great feedback!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

It's not about being perfect. It's about being aware, educating people and doing the best you can - even if that means you swap out 1 gallon of your usual brand of milk for organic once a month. I know it's hard and I do not have disposable income but we as the consumers have to demand better quality, and purchase better quality to make it more accessible and cheaper.

This is very true.

Americans vote with their $$$ every time they spend money on something.

That is why the grocery stores are filled with so many aisles and sea of processed, boxed, frozen frankenfood and factory farmed meats filled with hormones because most people don't care to even try and do better.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

This is very true. Plus you are supporting local which is very important too. Thanks for all your great feedback!

Yes, local and sustainable is much cheaper in the long run and supports local businesses.
  • treatdream
    Options
    I'm totally a Wal-mart shopper and would love to get away from this. I'm uneducated on the organic products and appropriate meat products we should consume. Anyone familiar with places I could go in the south Houston, Pearland and surrounding areas for these products. Any good websites to get me started?

I know I could/should feed my family better but the one-stop-shops are just so convenient and I just don't know enough about it. Thanks for any advice!

www.localharvest.org should be a good start
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I always buy organic milk, eggs and meat. To me it is worth it, and they just taste better!

No, no , no!!! A hen who has laid an organic egg hasn't necessarily lived a good or healthy life, she's just been fed "organic" feed. The eggs need to be organic AND free range.

In the US, organic chicken is free range. Certified organic means animals are fed organic feed, allowed access to the outdoors and not given antibiotics or growth hormones. The 'free range' label only means that birds have access to the outdoors, but regulations do not say how often and for how long.
    I'm confused, where in the legislation is this? I did a quick search, but didn't find it. I thought organic only meant pesticide and hormone free.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Organic is not free range. Animals that are raised "organic" can be given certain antibiotics for therapeutic reasons. Animals must be provided some access to the outdoors, but this can be incredibly limited access and still qualify as "organic." It's more about the feed, growth hormones, and limiting antibiotics than about access to the outdoors. There are no US regulations for "free range."

Um, yeah, that's what I said. Organic is free range, because they must have access to the outside, which is the only US regulation for free range. But there is no regulation on how long for either. If you care about the animals you really want to find "Animal Welfare Approved" meats, which specifies:
    -- Animals have access to the outdoors.
    -- No cages or crates are used.
    -- Growth hormones and sub-therapeutic antibiotics (antibiotics used to prevent disease rather than cure disease) are not allowed.
    -- Some surgical mutilations are prohibited, such as beak trimming and wing clipping. Others, such as castration, are allowed.

But good luck finding it.

Organic does not equal free range. Free range is an unregulated term in the US, with the exception of USDA description of free-range for broiler hens, which does include access to outdoors, though there is no specified standard for what that even means. So, organic eggs, organic beef, organic milk, organic pork, organic buffalo, etc, does not equal free range (even though they are supposed to have some sort of temporally and physically limited access to the outdoors), and even if it did that is an unregulated term anyway so can mean a wide variety of things. It's misleading to say that organic equals free range when "free range" does not have a nationally accepted definition and is not regulated.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

No, chickens having access to the outdoors is called Cage Free and that is most likely what is labelled "organic" by the USDA if they are fed organic feed (which most likely is vegetarian, which is NOT what chickens eat).

FREE RANGE means they are left to their own instincts of hunting and pecking for bugs, worms, grass, etc and they are free to roam the land.

No, you are mistaken. In the US the label "Free Range" only means that animals have access to the outside. There is absolutely no regulation of how often or how long.

"Grass Fed" means that animals are fed only grass and forage, with the exception of milk, before they are weaned, and have daily access to the outdoors with continuous access during summer.