I don't know why, but I want to like brussel sprouts...

Options

Replies

• alsw
    alsw Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love, love, LOVE them! I'll eat them just about any way.
    I usually trim up fresh ones, smaller are better, rinse them and pop em into a steamer bag & microwave.
    I spritz them with I Cant Believe its not Butter spray and salt. Even my dogs love them!!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Boil the brussel sprouts in a crock pot with a pot roast. TRUST ME - you will like them!!!

That is actually a good idea. I am always looking for veggies (aside from onion, carrots and potatoes) that will go well with a pot roast.
  • Teresa527
    Teresa527 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A good trick to minimize the bitterness of brussels sprouts is to shred them. Cut them in half and shred them into pieces. Heat a couple of teaspoons of evoo in a skillet, at a few cloves of freshly chopped garlic and cook until it starts to brown. Then toss in your shredded sprouts and cook for 4-5 minutes until tender crisp.
    I used to hate them until I cooked them this way. They are delicious!!!
    You can also add a couple strips of chopped bacon, turkey bacon or pancetta to make them even better. :love:
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Try a roasted recipe... we make ours with butter and a little brown sugar. You can add pecans too!
  • Karlaki
    Karlaki Posts: 74
    Options
    I love them grilled. Cut in half, marinate with a little olive oil and powdered garlic - or whatever spices you like, then put on a vege pan on my grill. I like them really caramelized. Delish.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    But, no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to find a recipe that I like. Does anyone have any suggestions on making them delicious? My local farmers market sells them on the stalk and really want to get one!

I feel your pain like you wouldn't believe. I want to love bell peppers, they look great, they smell great. When I see someone that had ordered a fajita my mouth waters......................................until I try to eat one then I gag.

I feel the same way about peppers.......

Ditto :)
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I may get flamed for this but................

Take a tsp of bacon fat and roast them off in that. Takes away a bit of the bite.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing this has been suggested already but:

Roast them in bacon grease.

The end. :happy:
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I cut in hallf, toss in olive oil, salt, pepper, and roast at 350 for about 30 minutes. They caramelize.

But if you don't like them, don't eat them.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I love brussel sprouts and don't know why I don't have them more.
  • nathan72
    nathan72 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i inject them like you would with turkey...i take a healthy italian dressing and inject a bit into each one with a marinade syringe, then just toss them in some olive oil with kosher salt and black pepper. roast them for about 25 to 35 minutes depending on size and they're awesome!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Roasted.....cut the little ends off, clean 'em up, toss with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper....450 deg for about 15-20 min. YUM

This! Totally awesome!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! That was sooooo me a few months ago. I kept buying them and trying different ways to fix them. I craved them and hated every bite. Then I learned I was anemic, started taking some iron and no longer craved those nasty little things, lol.

Interesting. During my bad bouts of anemia I crave ice, coffee grounds and dirt. Never brussel sprouts, I guess they don't pass the pica test.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    stem brussels,add to frying pan,add bacon and nuts of your choise and cook! YUMMY x :flowerforyou:
  • KiraLech
    Options
    Roasted.....cut the little ends off, clean 'em up, toss with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper....450 deg for about 15-20 min. YUM

Roasting is good for most veggies...butternut squash is awesome. (but a pain to peel and chop)

You can also steam 'em and squeeze lemon juice on top.

I've never liked brussel sprouts until someone made them like this. MMMMMM!!!!!
  • samantha64118
    Options
    I feel this way about snap peas. I heard they were great healthy snacks but I just didn't like them...wish I did though.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bump cause i've never tried brussel sprouts. They had such a bad stigma my mom never made them assuming we wouldn't eat them. She was probably right. But I have to try them.
  • rachaelhoffman
    rachaelhoffman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Apple Cider Brussel Sprouts will change your world!
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cider-Cinnamon-Brussels-Sprouts-368306
    yield: Makes 4 servings
    This slightly sweet side pairs well with pork or chicken, and a serving offers about 3/4 of your daily need for vitamin C.
    subscribe to SELF
    Ingredients

* 1 tablespoons olive oil
    * 2 cups brussels sprouts, halved
    * 1 large apple, diced
    * 1 large pear, diced
    * 1 cup apple cider
    * 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

print a shopping list for this recipe
    Preparation

In a large pan over medium heat, heat oil. Cook brussels sprouts cut side down, flipping once, until browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Add apple and pear; cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add cider and cinnamon; simmer, stirring, until all liquid cooks away.
    add your own note
    Nutritional Information

Per serving: 145 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 29 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 2 g protein

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cider-Cinnamon-Brussels-Sprouts-368306#ixzz1kgOzzXAP
  • Chubbasmommy
    Options
    i LOVE brussel sprouts....boiled with fat free spray butter. AMAZING :smile: but i love almost all veggies...so that could be why haha except for cooked spinach.i love it raw in salad...but i cannot make myself like it cooked ...weird