Calories while breastfeeding?

Options
Hello! I am currently breastfeeding my little one. Right now, in order to lose 1.5 lbs a week, MFP calculated that I should eat around 1900cals/day. Should I stick with this number or change my goals? She's with my husband while I'm at school 3 days a week, so I have to pump, and I've had problems with supply while pumping with my older two. I realllyyyy don't want to have to go through that again. I have quite a bit of weight to lose, and my baby is ginormous, so I'm not too worried about her not getting enough fatty milk. Any advice in this area is much appreciated!

Replies

• frzr71186
    frzr71186 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Under food you can search for breastfeeding and it'll give you additional calories depending on which one you pick. I'm currently breastfeeding and doing it this way, I'm still losing lbs.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Add breastfeeding to your food diary. There are many choices for the age and how often and MFP allots you extra calories. :smile:
  • Gina033
    Gina033 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding moms need 500 calories more a day than someone who is not breastfeeding. Lowering your calories to much will defiantly lower your supply. The more you pump and nurse the more milk you will produce!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right for a bare minimum, adding more on days when you're exercising. (Especially so given that you're a tall lady! My minimum at 5'2" and not b/f is 1700.) Breastfeeding is worth about 500 calories per day - not a huge amount, but enough that you need to allow for it. Generally the advice we always gave to moms in the support group I was involved with was, eat when you're hungry, drink when you're thirsty, stay satisfied and as long as you feel good and baby is gaining you're probably doing things right.

You know to drink a ton of water, right? Oatmeal for breakfast can help with milk supply AND with being full, so it's a win-win. Even though it's bad for you, keep a stash of gatorade for days when you know you didn't get enough to drink. One bottle would boost my supply back up if it was lagging, because mostly if it dropped it was because I was getting dehydrated.

As an aside... isn't it awesome to look at that fabulous baby chub and know that it all came from you? lol *squishy babies*
  • Carlabarla23
    Options
    Hi...regarding the breastfeeding (my baby is 3 months so I am only breastfeeding at least 7 times a day)...how do I do it? I realize it's under the food section but do I have to add it to every meal or...? Some help please, thanks :)
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Have you tried La Leche League for guidance? This is a good link http://www.llli.org/nb/nbmarapr04p44.html. I breast fed my son and I consumed about 2000 calories a day, losing a pound a week for a while then the weight loss slowed and I was left with about ten extra pounds. I know that people are advised not to lose weight too quickly while breastfeeding, so 1 lb/1.5 lbs a week would be good. Exercise, if you can find time and energy with a newborn, is crucial. I'm currently in the process of obtaining my degree in Nutrition and Dietetics. Breastfeeding is sooo important and takes quite a bit of effort for mom's these days. Congratulations!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Hi...regarding the breastfeeding (my baby is 3 months so I am only breastfeeding at least 7 times a day)...how do I do it? I realize it's under the food section but do I have to add it to every meal or...? Some help please, thanks :)

Just add it once per day. Just make sure you choose one that has the right # of calories - 500 if you are EBF, 300 if party formula or food, and stop once you're down to 1-2 nursing sessions per day.