RED TEAM IS RECRUITING! WEEK 6

Options

Replies

• andrea09
    andrea09 Posts: 124
    Options
    The veggie challenge sounds great. I love veggies. So it will be super easy for me. Anyone want any recipes how you can sneak them in. Thant is if we decide on that one. I got kids I had to learn the tricks.

Oh I would love to have some recipes that sneak in veggies. I really hate eating them plain. :smile:
  • andrea09
    Options
    I'm glad I checked my sugar level before going back to the gym. It was 79 >.<

When I got home from the gym this morning my sugar was 68. Oops.
    And now it's at 250. Big oops.

I just can't win today. :ohwell:

So tomorrow morning I go to the doctor and have my first check up with being on insulin. Wish me luck. I do hope the doctor noticed that I have lost weight. Sometimes they can just get you in and out and really never praise you for doing good. So wish me luck!

Have you gotten the Diabetic carb counting book and nurition information from a doctor yet? I have a lot of neat little booklets that explain a lot about controlling blood sugar levels.

Yeah, I hate doctors. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

I have not gotten any books as of yet. Maybe tomorrow. I will ask for them. I live in a very small rural town and I sometimes wonder if they have all the recources that a big city would have.
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    I'm glad I checked my sugar level before going back to the gym. It was 79 >.<

When I got home from the gym this morning my sugar was 68. Oops.
    And now it's at 250. Big oops.

I just can't win today. :ohwell:

So tomorrow morning I go to the doctor and have my first check up with being on insulin. Wish me luck. I do hope the doctor noticed that I have lost weight. Sometimes they can just get you in and out and really never praise you for doing good. So wish me luck!

Have you gotten the Diabetic carb counting book and nurition information from a doctor yet? I have a lot of neat little booklets that explain a lot about controlling blood sugar levels.

Yeah, I hate doctors. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

I have not gotten any books as of yet. Maybe tomorrow. I will ask for them. I live in a very small rural town and I sometimes wonder if they have all the recources that a big city would have.

Go to ChangingDiabetes-us.com and register.

Request Changing life with diabetes carb counting and meal planning book.

Take out ALL proccessed foods from your diet, or as much as possible.

Stay away from Whole Milk (hey skim milk has vitamin D in it now as well) white bread (yes, its just as healthy as wheat bread, I heard this arguement. But white bread is processed, you're sugar level will go up, up and up), and white potato.

Go to your local vitamin store and get cinnamon tablets. Take 1000iuc of cinnamon a day. I take 500 in morning and 500 at night.

Eat small meals every four to five hours and not three hours before bed.

Eat anywhere from 30g to 45 of carbs per meal when active. If not active try to maintain at 30gs per meal.

Eat two snacks not bigger than 30g of carbs.

Eat foods good in dietary fiber and not pure sugar.

and those are just some pointers on getting started
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    whoa, the thread has been really active lately :bigsmile:

well, got back from another workout! 4.2 miles! AND I jogged even farther today! I was going around this parking lot...and I kept saying I'm gonna make it the whole way around no matter what this last time...and I did! even though right at the end I felt like I was going to die! lol! but it's all good (won't be tomorrow though...i will be sore!!) What do y'all do to help prevent/relieve soreness? I do stretches, which usually help but not recently after these longer, more intense walk/jogs.

Well, I ate pretty well today. I consumed more sodium than I would have liked, but tomorrow will be better.

I hope everyone has had a great day, and will have another great day tomorrow!
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options

well, got back from another workout! 4.2 miles! AND I jogged even farther today! I was going around this parking lot...and I kept saying I'm gonna make it the whole way around no matter what this last time...and I did! even though right at the end I felt like I was going to die! lol! but it's all good (won't be tomorrow though...i will be sore!!) What do y'all do to help prevent/relieve soreness? I do stretches, which usually help but not recently after these longer, more intense walk/jogs.

Well, I ate pretty well today. I consumed more sodium than I would have liked, but tomorrow will be better.

Two things, I have this re-energize lotion from Mary Kay for feet and legs that I use, and my favorite...icy hot after I worked out and before bed
  • jlhcrh3
    Options

Two things, I have this re-energize lotion from Mary Kay for feet and legs that I use, and my favorite...icy hot after I worked out and before bed

Icy hot? never thought about that...never ever tried it either....I'm assuming it must work pretty well if it's your favorite?
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Just finished my workout. I'm really starting to think I need to get an HRM or something so I know where I'm at during my walks. I keep catching myself getting slower as I progress through the walk :huh:

Working on my 3rd bottle of water!
  • jlhcrh3
    Options
    Just finished my workout. I'm really starting to think I need to get an HRM or something so I know where I'm at during my walks. I keep catching myself getting slower as I progress through the walk :huh:

what type of terrain are you walking? and are you walking before or after eating? and what time of day?

I live in a hilly place so my speed is constantly changing, but I log whatever the average is. But also, I know that if I walk in the morning, I go slower, because I am tired and I am not much of a morning person at all! And I always walk before eating, otherwise the full tummy slows me down!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

what type of terrain are you walking? and are you walking before or after eating? and what time of day?

I live in a hilly place so my speed is constantly changing, but I log whatever the average is. But also, I know that if I walk in the morning, I go slower, because I am tired and I am not much of a morning person at all! And I always walk before eating, otherwise the full tummy slows me down!

I'm not a morning person at all :laugh: I usually do my walks around 7-9pm. I eat before I go for a walk too, but not right before. I'll eat dinner and then about an hour or two later I'll go on my walk, I have to eat beforehand otherwise I'm too hungry and I lose all my energy quickly.
    The terrain is pretty much all flat, theres a small hill at the end of my street but thats about it.
  • jlhcrh3
    Options

I'm not a morning person at all :laugh: I usually do my walks around 7-9pm. I eat before I go for a walk too, but not right before. I'll eat dinner and then about an hour or two later I'll go on my walk, I have to eat beforehand otherwise I'm too hungry and I lose all my energy quickly.
    The terrain is pretty much all flat, theres a small hill at the end of my street but thats about it.

if you have a certain route that you do, time yourself one day, and then each day you do it, make sure that you don't go over that time, and work at shaving minutes off of that. I have a sport watch from walmart that has a stopwatch in it and have timed my different routes, so I can make sure I don't slow down too much.
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of posts to catch up on...
    Let's see...

Jenn - I have lot of books. My mother bought them all when I was diagnosed with type1 when I was 10. But good recommendations for Andrea. And all your tips there... good for her too. Awesome. :smile: Oh and I like the icyhot recommendation to Jess. I might try that myself.

Jess - Awesome job on the intense walk/jog! :flowerforyou: I'm hoping my workout today isn't as wimpy as yesterday, but it all depends on my ribs and how crowded the gym is (since it's going to be raining all day supposedly).

lizagna (sorry, can't remember if you mentioned your name) - nice job on the water :flowerforyou: and I also wanted to get a HRM... eventually... when I have money. Just got a gym membership, soooo it's going to be a while before I build up enough.

I think that's everything for now.

Well, I'm off to wake up my brother, have breakfast, drive him to school and then I'm off to the gym. Hopefully it won't be crowded like yesterday. I don't like crowds. :ohwell:
    76 more days until school starts... YAY! :laugh:
    Oh! I bought new sneakers yesterday. Because I desperately needed them. And I'm making a monetary rewards system for me. I'm thinking $0.10 for going to the gym or doing a workout elsewhere, $0.50 for each pound lost. And I need to think of a small amount for days I don't go over my calories. I'll try it out. If I start it when i thought of it, I'm up to $0.90. haha.
    I'm still shooting for 175 by July 1st. If I make it, I'm buying myself a new book. I love books.
    Then I'm still shooting for 170 by August 1st. If I make that, well I might by myself new shoes. Because I love shoes. haha.

I hope everyone was a wonderful wednesday!

Ciao!
  • soggysox
    soggysox Posts: 18
    Options
    wooo lots of posts...can't read them all sorry.

trying my best to drink the 8 cups a day (really hard when its dingey and miserable outside - true british weather)

Had a really tough day yesterday and went well over my cals, couldn't do any excercise and was generally really grumpy!

Any good ideas for healthy/ low cal treats?

Any other cyclers in here?

katie
  • andrea09
    Options
    Go to ChangingDiabetes-us.com and register.

Request Changing life with diabetes carb counting and meal planning book.

Take out ALL proccessed foods from your diet, or as much as possible.

Stay away from Whole Milk (hey skim milk has vitamin D in it now as well) white bread (yes, its just as healthy as wheat bread, I heard this arguement. But white bread is processed, you're sugar level will go up, up and up), and white potato.

Go to your local vitamin store and get cinnamon tablets. Take 1000iuc of cinnamon a day. I take 500 in morning and 500 at night.

Eat small meals every four to five hours and not three hours before bed.

Eat anywhere from 30g to 45 of carbs per meal when active. If not active try to maintain at 30gs per meal.

Eat two snacks not bigger than 30g of carbs.

Eat foods good in dietary fiber and not pure sugar.

and those are just some pointers on getting started
    [/quote]

These are wonderful tips! Thank you so very much!! So much to remember but I am taking it one step at a time. I do hope that it get a bit easier as I go along this journey. :smile:
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Andrea, if memory serves you correctly, you are type II and recently diagnosed. As you continue on your weight-loss journey, it would be safe to say that your diabetes management will get easier. In some cases, it even goes away once you are healthy, so I've heard. Mine will be stuck with me forever, but you, my friend, have a lot of hope. :heart: Nevertheless, in time, you will get more used to it. You'll get into a routine and it will not feel like so much of a hindrance.
  • nl_lynx
    nl_lynx Posts: 12
    Options
    mornin' red team! happy hump day!

fightin' this allergy crud, and Dr appt was CN from their side....:grumble: will now go in 2 weeks. could definately tell i was over in sodium yesterday, feet felt a lil puffy. got in over 100 oz tho... am going to be painting my kitchen/dining room today. later will get in walk/jog and then 8lb weighted ball workout. hope everyone has a great, healthy day!!

insaness ~ i don't see an OB GYN, but yearly with PA. what is everyone's opinion on this...SHOULD i be seeing OB GYN instead? hey, thanks for all your info, very helpful! the veggie challenge would be good. does anyone know if we are to eat more veggies a day than fruit? i have the fruits down and maybe cuz the veggies i eat take more time to prep. i have learned tho that the more i plan my meals, the more i stay on track with my health eating. what does the cinnamon tab do? and i still can't believe all the sugar in milk. like 12g, even in skim. does anyone know what the normal intake of sugar should be in our diets, and not carbs, just sugar?

andrea ~ how was your Dr appt? i am sure they will notice your wt loss! -16!! that is great! you should be proud!!. how small of a town you live in, we have 760 here.

mel ~ i'll keep you in my prayers.....NO COUGHS ALLOWED! you have some really nice rewards planned for yourself! what good motivation for you!!

jess ~ good job on 4.2 miles! happy for ya! this is just what has worked for me. when i start an exercise, (aerobic ) i start out slowly. in the past when i have stretched prior, i am always sore. for a long time now, i have been doing my stretches and resistance workout AFTER my walk/jog. i think since my muscles are still warm from the activity they are easier to flex and stretch. anyway, that is what works for me. and, if i am sore, i usually just soak in a hot bath and occ'l will have my dh rub my muscles. i am sure the creams will work too.

liza ~ i bought a HRM back in March and i love it. it is a Polar F6. has the chest strap. i found that it is more accurate than the MFP calculators for exercise, usually more is burned than what MFP says. it was a bit pricey, like around $100, but i do like it. i have worn it when i do my walk/jog, stretch and tone dvd, and weighted ball workout. my cardiologist pretty much gave me a prescription for "hills to be included' in my exercise. the incline is great for the heart and leg muscles. gets the heart pumping and gives the legs a nice burn. i think also a light snack of a healthy carb pre workout is good, and the same after along with a healthy protein.....just info i have learned on this site.

this couch to 5k thing sounds like what i started doing a few months ago, i didn't know there was a name for it. i am probably jogging a good 1.5 miles now total. ok, how far in miles is a 5k? :ohwell:

katie ~ don't fret about yesterday. it is ok, just get back on plan. i find it hard to get the water in too on dreary days! darn weather! low cal treats, i usually have a fruit, yogurt, 13 whole unslated almonds, 7 unsalted walnut halves, 100 calorie snack packs, laughing cow light cheese, 7 lowfat Triscuits. baby carrots, celery stick, pepper strips. whatever you go with, just having them ready is most helpful.

have a great wednesday RED TEAM!! 5 more days til weigh in!! we can do it!!
  • nl_lynx
    Options
    oh, hurley ~ nice pics!! you are very pretty!! :flowerforyou:
  • andrea09
    Options
    nl_lynx- I go later today....I sure do hope that is a good one. We have less than 50 in town more in the surrounding area. My area is mostly a "vacation" area. Lots of vacation homes. I have to travel about 1 hour to the nearest "big" town. And 30 min to a middle size town. I have a great veiw of the Columbia River and I can not complain about that. :happy:
  • nl_lynx
    Options
    andrea, i have to agree with mel....the more you learn about diabetes and the diet, the easier it will become. my hope is that with exercise and diet it will go away. my mom is 65 and has been type 2 diabetes since '02. she has done NOTHING to help herself. at first she was on medication, and ate like she always did, and her sugar was never controlled, always around 200, which is bad. last year she ended up in the hospital and they started her on insulin. i attended diabetic classes with her, and she understood it all, but is not living any of it. it is better controlled now, but she is still obese, does not exercise and eats awful. this is very painful for me to see, but i have now accepted that it is her choice. might i add that she also smokes. i think often, and it saddens me, what a waste. be glad that you are taking care of yourself. knowledge can be the best medicine! i truly hope that you can beat this disease! GOODLUCK!
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options

Icy hot? never thought about that...never ever tried it either....I'm assuming it must work pretty well if it's your favorite?

Yup! After awhile you're muscle get built up and you use less of it. When I started working again, I put it on before work, on break, when I got him and before bed.

Now I only put it on before bed on some nights.

As far as the Mary Kay lotion, I love using it before a workout because it allows me to work out at the same pace but without the burn out feeling when I get done. I don't know exactly how it works, but it feels good. I also use it before bed as well.

Can't wait to my husband comes home from Iraq cause then he can put this lotion and icy hot on my back ^__^
  • andrea09
    Options
    Andrea, if memory serves you correctly, you are type II and recently diagnosed. As you continue on your weight-loss journey, it would be safe to say that your diabetes management will get easier. In some cases, it even goes away once you are healthy, so I've heard. Mine will be stuck with me forever, but you, my friend, have a lot of hope. :heart: Nevertheless, in time, you will get more used to it. You'll get into a routine and it will not feel like so much of a hindrance.

Yep that is right....about a month into the diagnosis. Or learning new ways. :smile:
    they do have hope that it will "go away" or at least no insulin if I get my weight under control. It is a lifestyle change for me and my whole family. With those ideas that Jen gave me are wonderful and will sure help the learning process.