Dying from protein?

Posting this since it intrigued me, I myself don't eat tonnes of protein but I try to aim for around 100g of it (rarely hit that lol) but I read this the other day at I was shocked, I mean as the article itself says it mainly affects males but females can suffer some symptoms since they are the carries of it. Just pointing out I still like my protein regardless of this article I just think it's interesting.

So this man followed a high protein diet (link to article below) and nearly died because of it. He has OTC (ornithine transcarbamylase) deficiency, which basically means he doesn't have the enzyme needed to remove nitrogen from the body (nitrogen is a by-product of protein breaking down) and if the nitrogen isn't removed it accumulates into the form of ammonia. Ammonia is good for cleaning the skin but toxic to your brain and causes it to swell. This leads to you getting lethargic, vomiting, coma and death.

I find this so bizarre I mean it makes me wonder how many people actually have this problem and will never know unless somehow a doctor figures it out or because they themselves get very ill from eating protein. Don't mean to scare anyone off protein by posting this by the way, sorry!

Here's the article anyway if anyone is interested in reading it:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/9013566/The-man-who-nearly-died-on-the-Dukan-diet.html

Replies

• HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    I'll tell my mom to check this out. Shes raves about the Dukan. But is unable to stay on it for long. She also did the Adkins. I wasn't able to myself. I want to include all food groups in my plan. :) Thanks for the info :smile:
  • Haha I'm not advising people to do/not to do the diet, it just amazed me that there's a risk or 1 in 20,000 or 200,000 (forgot whoops) people dying from too much protein. I mean that's never crossed my mind, dying from eating too much, sure that crosses my mind, but from just eating too much of one food group, I can't help but be shocked/amazed. (I say amazed since I don't find it amazing a man almost died, I just find it amazing that people study these things and find out about these weird conditions - I know it's not a condition but late and my brain won't find the word I'm looking for.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    i am not a fan at all of high protein and virtually carb free diets. You need carbs to help produce insulin.
    They also make people incredibly miserable. Every seen an ecstatic bodybuilder??
    Everything in moderation. I eat at least 2 slices of wholemeal bread every day and i am still losing the Ibs.

I didnt realise just how dangerous they could be until looking at this post
  • CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    hmmm very interesting.. thanks for sharing this! good to know. :]
  • Posting this since it intrigued me, I myself don't eat tonnes of protein but I try to aim for around 100g of it (rarely hit that lol) but I read this the other day at I was shocked, I mean as the article itself says it mainly affects males but females can suffer some symptoms since they are the carries of it. Just pointing out I still like my protein regardless of this article I just think it's interesting.

So this man followed a high protein diet (link to article below) and nearly died because of it. He has OTC (ornithine transcarbamylase) deficiency, which basically means he doesn't have the enzyme needed to remove nitrogen from the body (nitrogen is a by-product of protein breaking down) and if the nitrogen isn't removed it accumulates into the form of ammonia. Ammonia is good for cleaning the skin but toxic to your brain and causes it to swell. This leads to you getting lethargic, vomiting, coma and death.

I find this so bizarre I mean it makes me wonder how many people actually have this problem and will never know unless somehow a doctor figures it out or because they themselves get very ill from eating protein. Don't mean to scare anyone off protein by posting this by the way, sorry!

Here's the article anyway if anyone is interested in reading it:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/9013566/The-man-who-nearly-died-on-the-Dukan-diet.html

Hey! Glad you posted this I was thinking about excess protein anyway. Just heard about this very thing in Ecology lecture, lol, so here is the summary: everyone (mammals) has excess nitrogen in the body that must be disposed of. That's what pee is. But, rather than being in the form of ammonia (NH3), excess nitrogen (N) is converted to urea (CO(NH2)2) in mammals. Normally, anyway. I was under the impression that anyone can suffer a toxic buildup of ammonia, not just people lacking OTC. It would take a lot of protein to do that, I am sure, which may be why it isn't common to hear of these things. Now I'm curious and I will ask my prof.
  • Hey! Glad you posted this I was thinking about excess protein anyway. Just heard about this very thing in Ecology lecture, lol, so here is the summary: everyone (mammals) has excess nitrogen in the body that must be disposed of. That's what pee is. But, rather than being in the form of ammonia (NH3), excess nitrogen (N) is converted to urea (CO(NH2)2) in mammals. Normally, anyway. I was under the impression that anyone can suffer a toxic buildup of ammonia, not just people lacking OTC. It would take a lot of protein to do that, I am sure, which may be why it isn't common to hear of these things. Now I'm curious and I will ask my prof.

Okay I didn't know all this (not big into science haha) but that's really interesting, and I'm curious too, if he can answer pass it on please? :D And yeah I'd sure without OTC it'd be possible but take a lot of protein to do so. Raising more and more questions in my head...
  • I'll tell my mom to check this out. Shes raves about the Dukan. But is unable to stay on it for long. She also did the Adkins. I wasn't able to myself. I want to include all food groups in my plan. :) Thanks for the info :smile:

I read a journal article yesterday (peer reviewed for uni) that discussed the risks of very low calorie, high protein diets for recreational weight loss. The article reviewed a cardiac arrest in a very young (~16 y/o) patient who was reportedly living off of protein for ~2 weeks. Her mom had also been on the diet.

I didn't save the article because I didn't think I would need it again (darn!) but I'll explain as well as I can (thank goodness I've had organic chemistry, lol): nitrogen (N) from proteins is unstable by itself and must bond with other elements to become a stable molecule. "Stable" meaning it is not highly reactive. (As a side note, many highly-reactive molecules are explosive. Sometimes a reactive molecule isn't bad but in this case, reactive nitrogen in the body is not good). Nitrogen has 5 electrons to share but frequently keeps 2 electrons and shares 3 with positively-charged elements ("cations"). A good example is ammonia, NH3, which the OP was talking about. However, nitrogen can also bond with potassium ions (Ka+) and calcium ions (Ca+) before leaving the body. This poor girl developed a severe deficiency in potassium (a condition called hypokalemia) which lead to heart attack.

Definitely warn your mom about too much protein but make sure you don't correlate "low carb" with "high protein"! The two are very different. A proper low carb diet (like Atkins) should have adequate protein, not high protein. If you haven't fallen asleep yet, I'll use myself as an example: I am ~121 lbs. Based on the recommended daily values of protein (which I found on the Atkins site, btw) I need ~44 grams of protein (0.36/lb). 44 grams of protein is only 176 calories. I could probably "fast" by drinking two protein shakes a day and I would live (pathetic and hungry). BUT, if I chose to eat, say, 600 calories - ALL from protein because it is satiating - I would be eating a whopping 150 grams. See the trouble? My body would have to get rid of an excess of 106 grams of protein.

People fast all the time - going without food is not usually harmful. Eating too much of something usually is.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    i am not a fan at all of high protein and virtually carb free diets. You need carbs to help produce insulin.
    They also make people incredibly miserable. Every seen an ecstatic bodybuilder??
    Everything in moderation. I eat at least 2 slices of wholemeal bread every day and i am still losing the Ibs.

people with diabetes or insulin resistance need to watch their carbs though. while i still most definitely eat carbs, the majority of mine come from things that are not bread (sadly because i LOVE bread). i am very sensitive to spikes in my insulin - i'm insulin resistant, but not diabetic.
  • janegeno
    janegeno Posts: 37 Member
    Definitely warn your mom about too much protein but make sure you don't correlate "low carb" with "high protein"! The two are very different. A proper low carb diet (like Atkins) should have adequate protein, not high protein. If you haven't fallen asleep yet, I'll use myself as an example: I am ~121 lbs. Based on the recommended daily values of protein (which I found on the Atkins site, btw) I need ~44 grams of protein (0.36/lb). 44 grams of protein is only 176 calories. I could probably "fast" by drinking two protein shakes a day and I would live (pathetic and hungry). BUT, if I chose to eat, say, 600 calories - ALL from protein because it is satiating - I would be eating a whopping 150 grams. See the trouble? My body would have to get rid of an excess of 106 grams of protein.

I just popped over to the Atkins site to calculate myself and found a recommended protein intake of .7 grams/lb according to "conventional wisdom" which for you would be approximately 88 grams instead of 44. I then went to the University of Maryland whose calculator does not use weight (age, frame size, height, activity level). The result I got back was right in the middle of the two calculations I made using my own weight (.36 versus .7 Atkins suggestions). The CDC simply shows a table which says you and I need the same amount of protein roughly (46 grams per day) or 10-35% of dietary intake.

Go figure.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html
    http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp
    http://www.atkins.com/Science/Nutrition-and-Exercise/Protein.aspx

(edit to fix quote tag)
  • I just popped over to the Atkins site to calculate myself and found a recommended protein intake of .7 grams/lb according to "conventional wisdom" which for you would be approximately 88 grams instead of 44. I then went to the University of Maryland whose calculator does not use weight (age, frame size, height, activity level). The result I got back was right in the middle of the two calculations I made using my own weight (.36 versus .7 Atkins suggestions). The CDC simply shows a table which says you and I need the same amount of protein roughly (46 grams per day) or 10-35% of dietary intake.

Go figure.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html
    http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp
    http://www.atkins.com/Science/Nutrition-and-Exercise/Protein.aspx

(edit to fix quote tag)

That's interesting :D
    I'm not fussed by how much protein I eat personally (so long as it's not stupidly low like I realized it was when I first started logging what I ate doh!) I know a lot of people say around 0.7g per lb of lbm or something like that, so I just figure if I aim for around 80-100g a day I'll be close enough (I'll probably worry more about it once I've been dieting longer) but I see people (guys lol) on my friends profiles, or just on people's profiles with open food diaries, and they will eat easily 1g per lb of their own weight, I suppose it's finding what works for you at the end of the day. I definitely know nothing about these sort of things (really should take the time to educate myself haha) but I think everyone's bodies work different and it's better to do what works for you then to do what everyone else does (or suggests). Though saying that I'll be the first one to start asking for suggestions if what I'm doing stops working for me haha. But anyway what you found is interesting, I'll admit I find it confusing but doesn't make it any less interesting. :)
  • Ha! I can't believe the different protein values (ok, actually I can) - thanks for bringing that up. I'm really glad you went to three different sites. Doctors and patients alike have been arguing over RDA values for protein for a while now. The consensus, I think, is that they are too low, but by how much is still a hot topic. I prefer to compute my protein based on my lean mass (~90 lbs). I use 0.5g/lb when I am sedentary (45 grams) and 0.7 when I am very active (63 grams). I don't like "total body weight" calculations because I was waaay overfat for a while (normal weight but 31% body fat, geez!) and obviously obese people are. It doesn't make sense.

I hope I didn't sound like I was picking on the OP about protein! I don't think your levels are excessive. I'm a big nerd (duh) so I got excited when I saw your post 'cause I just had that in lecture!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    You need carbs to help produce insulin.

Not true. Protein is also insulinogenic.

Insulin-4-different-proteins.png

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20456814

didnt realise just how dangerous they could be until looking at this post

They're only "dangerous" if you happen to have a rare metabolic disorder.
  • i am not a fan at all of high protein and virtually carb free diets. You need carbs to help produce insulin.

Of course you need carbs to produce insulin. Insulin is produced to utilize sugars in our blood, but it also puts your body into fat storage mode. Your body can live off of fat and protein as well as carbs and in the absence of carbs your body converts fats and proteins into glucose (well pyruvic acic which is a glucose molecule split it two). The long and short of it is that most people have no problem with this and it is rarely a problem. I think that a balanced diet is the healthiest thing, but it isn't really unhealthy to eat low carb diets.
  • Ha! I can't believe the different protein values (ok, actually I can) - thanks for bringing that up. I'm really glad you went to three different sites. Doctors and patients alike have been arguing over RDA values for protein for a while now. The consensus, I think, is that they are too low, but by how much is still a hot topic. I prefer to compute my protein based on my lean mass (~90 lbs). I use 0.5g/lb when I am sedentary (45 grams) and 0.7 when I am very active (63 grams). I don't like "total body weight" calculations because I was waaay overfat for a while (normal weight but 31% body fat, geez!) and obviously obese people are. It doesn't make sense.

I hope I didn't sound like I was picking on the OP about protein! I don't think your levels are excessive. I'm a big nerd (duh) so I got excited when I saw your post 'cause I just had that in lecture!

Haha I don't feel picked on at all xD
    The only way I'd feel picked on is if someone posted saying how I was making this protein thing up to scare people ... Then I'd feel bad, at least I have a link to that article to save my bum!
    I'm finding everything everyone posts interesting and not getting worried by what anyone says so don't worry about "picking" on me ;) S'all cool.
    They're only "dangerous" if you happen to have a rare metabolic disorder.

I agree there or like littlemsmuffet says if you eat it so much in excess that you do damage, but that would take a lot of protein over an extended amount of time (I think, I don't know for a fact I'm just trying to use logic). Protein isn't dangerous (unless you have this disorder, and even then it's only dangerous in big amounts, that man was a fully grown adult you can guarantee he had eaten protein before and survived haha, just never had so much of it at once until then) and the body does need it, just like it needs food from all the other food groups.
  • janegeno
    janegeno Posts: 37 Member
    Ha! I can't believe the different protein values (ok, actually I can) - thanks for bringing that up. I'm really glad you went to three different sites. Doctors and patients alike have been arguing over RDA values for protein for a while now. The consensus, I think, is that they are too low, but by how much is still a hot topic. I prefer to compute my protein based on my lean mass (~90 lbs). I use 0.5g/lb when I am sedentary (45 grams) and 0.7 when I am very active (63 grams). I don't like "total body weight" calculations because I was waaay overfat for a while (normal weight but 31% body fat, geez!) and obviously obese people are. It doesn't make sense.

I did not read you that way at all! Who can think badly about someone excited for their college lectures!

Slightly off-topic but had to be said:
    When Ron Swanson eats, it is the food that is scared.
  • :ohwell: thanks - when i read the comments over again i thought i might have sounded like i was shaking my finger at TamsinEllis for eating to much protein. but i thought i'd pass this along: i talked to my prof today and he said anyone can develop a toxic ammonia buildup, not just people lacking the proper enzymes. he said it would take a lot of protein to do that and i mentioned the 600 cals of protein scenario to him just to make sure we were on the same page. so...yeah, don't poison yourself with tons of protein lol.

on that note, he told me something cool - excess protein can stimulate excess urea production which can get into the bloodstream and settle as a salt. because it is more dense than blood, it tends to settle in the feet and lower extremities and that's what gout is! i didn't know that but today is free information day so there you go ;D
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member

We don't biologically need carbs for anything...........

The whole point of higher fat, moderate protein and low carb is too keep the body from producing too much insulin. You want steady insulin, not producing insulin to address the excess carbs (sugar) in the blood stream.

Yes, I see many estatic body builders everyday.

Personally, I don't believe in moderation as our bodies are not designed to handle processed, refined and chemical filled foods.

Natural foods in the form of fat, protein, vegetables, nuts, seeds and fruit - in that order is how we are designed to eat.
  • psychRN83
    psychRN83 Posts: 71 Member
    Agree with the above post. Our ancestors never had access to refined and processed grains such as bread for their natural diet. We were never supposed to eat some of the crap we eat today which is one of the reasons why type 2 diabetes and obesity is on the rise:-(
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member

We don't biologically need carbs for anything...........

The whole point of higher fat, moderate protein and low carb is too keep the body from producing too much insulin. You want steady insulin, not producing insulin to address the excess carbs (sugar) in the blood stream.

Yes, I see many estatic body builders everyday.

Personally, I don't believe in moderation as our bodies are not designed to handle processed, refined and chemical filled foods.

Natural foods in the form of fat, protein, vegetables, nuts, seeds and fruit - in that order is how we are designed to eat.

Naturally we need Carbs for our Kidneys to function properly. Not saying you need high amounts but everything in moderation! My sister had one kidney removed as an infant. She has to have a diet high in carbs to keep the other functioning.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    These kooky diets need to be deposited in file 13.
    When will people just learn to moderate themselves, exercise and eat right?
    Getting fit is simple but hard work.
    It's that "hard work" part that stumps most who fall short.
    And that's why some seek out the perfect diet, pill, shake or root/berry supplement that will make it all happen fast and easy.

I nominate that guy for this year's Darwin award.