People who say "I can't afford to eat healthy" or "Healthy e

Options
You hear it so many times, people saying that they can't afford to eat healthy, it's too expensive. I've even heard it on here, someone saying that healthy eating is too expensive because a bag of apples is 3/4 times the price of a bag of chips/crisps and it's not the only time I've heard people one here say it. Nevermind the fact that that $1 bag of chips is gone in one sitting whereas that $3.50 bag of apples lasts maybe 5 or 6 snacks.

Usually I buy all my shopping in bits and pieces throughout the week but today I sat down and planned out my meals for the entire week - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then I wrote a shopping list so that I'd make sure I got absolutely everything I needed for the week. I partly did this as I'm a trainee teacher and I start my school placement again this week which means I'm pretty busy so don't want to have to keep popping in the shop but also, I wanted to see what it costs me for an entire week. To give you an idea of what I bought, here's my meal plan for the week.

Breakfast is cereal or fruit smoothies, weekend poached eggs.
Lunch is cous cous salad with tinned tuna or sliced up chicken, humus and veg or soup.
Dinners are chickpea curry, chicken fajitas, sausages and roasted vegetables, battered fish with sweet potato chips (fries to you americans!) twice this week, chicken stir fry and burgers with sweet potato chips/fries. Plus veg like peas, carrots etc.

Snacks are yoghurts and fruit. I've also got some nut bits already. I didn't have to buy the cous cous as I've got a pack but that's £1-2 and lasts me about a month.

So I went shopping and bought everything that I needed for all of that, plus there'll still be some left over (like a pack of 8 sausages when I only need 4, or 4 bits of chicken when I only need 2, 4 tins of tuna when I only need 3, 8 sweet potatoes when I only need 3 etc) that I can freeze or keep for next week. I spent a grand total of £23.50, so just under $37. That's £3.36/$5.28 a day. I can't even go to McDonalds and buy ONE meal for that. I really hope that this helps show those people who say that they can't afford to eat healthy or that healthy eating is more expensive that it really doesn't have to be, at all. Healthy eating is not only far better for you but with planning, it's even cheaper.

Replies

• charlotte66
    charlotte66 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    totally agree with you healthy eating is alot cheaper if you shop rite!

i am the opposite i could never afford to eat unhealthy! i always try to eat healthy home cooked meals everynite with the odd treat pizza for my partner

i meal plan for 2 weeks ahead, meal planning really helps alot!
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just wrote a related blog last night.. Enjoy and share as you like Lee http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/commander38
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I find this to be mostly true, too. I try to buy local, humanely raised meat and eggs, so this jacks up my grocery cost quite a bit. But, stuff like dry beans, pasta, vegetables, fruit is never anywhere near as costly as packaged 'convenience' food.

If I want soup - I make it instead of buying canned. I make my own salad dressings, dips and marinades. I bake my own pizza crust and make my own sauce. I make pancakes and waffles from scratch. I even made my own turkey sausage recently, and saved a bundle!

I work full-time and have a long commute and other commitments, so I try to carve out a little weekend time for food prep. This makes it possible for me to have time for more home cooked food during the busy work week.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    Thanks for that! I totally agree.

Most of the people I know use that line as an excuse though. They are the same people who keep saying that "Next month is going to be a better month, I start eating healthy as soon as I get my salary, cause now I don't have the money".. And then that day never comes. They aren't even willing to try it out or even think over their meals the slightest bit. I guess going to McDonalds is just so much easier (and more expensive, but oh well).
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Meal planning definitely helps, before I'd end up throwing stuff away because it went bad or out of date as I'd buy more than I needed and it would just end up costing me more than it needed to!

I know a lot of people who still use the excuse. I know that I used to, I don't think I could go back to that though. I'm a trainee teacher, it means I get a student loan of about £6000 ($9500) to live on a year, to cover everything. Thankfully I'm able to live with my parents while I do this year so that saves me rent but I won't let them buy and cook all my food, that's not fair on them. So I do it and I know that I couldn't afford to eat junk all the time. Not just take out but the processed, high calorie, high fat junk food, it's expensive.

I'm the same as you UpEarly, I have long days where I'm out of the house for 12-13 hours a day so I try to do a lot of food prep at the weekends. That's part of why I plan out my meals, helps me stay prepared and it means that I don't end up being tempted to just grab the easiest thing because I already know what I'm having and I'm prepared for it.
  • pinkydemon
    pinkydemon Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    True, McD or BK doesn't even make you full for long. A pizza does though. But then again you can make your own, healthy pizza at home and that would be again less expensive than a delivered one.

I think some people sometimes forget that if you shop potatoes, noodles and so on, you don't use all of it for one meal, so you actually live more then one day of the groceries you buy whereas a burger is done in five minutes and you will be hungry in 30 minutes again. :S
  • penmosha
    penmosha Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, if you plan, you can have quality food on a low budget. I make most of my food from scratch and my diet looks very similar to what you have posted. Over the last couple of summers, I have started to grow some veggies in my tiny shaded garden, £2 of salad leaves seeds = whole summer of tasty salad for the less than the price of 2 of those bags in the supermarket,Anyone could do that, even in a window box or tucked around the summer bedding plants - same goes for tomatoes - there is nothing tastier than a warm tomato taken straight off the plant. And as for sugar snap peas - well I was stunned how many you get out of a handful of seeds! And what's more - it taked virtually no effort.

In the supermarket, it you avoid 'prepared' meals, you can eat cheaply. I work full time so do not have time in the week to preare a load of food so most of my meals will only take 30 mins or less. I can knock up a stir fry in 15 mins or my healthy version of special fried rice in 30 mins, grill some meat and serve with new potatoes and veg or couscous in 20 mins. At the weekend I have more time so will slow roast some pork on a trivet and will have loads of lean leftovers to use in salads, and in my fried rice.I will also make a cottage pie that will be packed with veggies and topped with root veg mash - It will feed the 4 and cost about £3.50 and will be far healthier than any shop bought one that will feed 2 for the same price.
  • RockChick1984
    Options
    i totally agree... i think its just the easiest excuse for people to use coz they cant be bothered... have done it myself many a time... but aint ever goin back there... love how i feel much more energetic with healthy foods
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    To feel even remotely satisfied eating from McDonald's Dollar Menu, I'd need two double cheeseburgers and a small fry. That's $3.

Or I could buy boneless skinless chicken breasts at $1.99 a pound, frozen veggies at $1.99 a bag, boxed pasta at $.99 a box (the nutritional difference between regular and whole grain isn't enough for me to bother with it), and some pre-made marinade at $2.99 a bottle (which will last months). I could make several healthy, delicious, satisfying meals out of those ingredients at less than $2 a pop.
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    For me, I used to say this because I am still learning. I think that might be the case for most people. Learning takes time. What we are going to try to do is shopping every few days, because it might be easier that way. That way I can plan what we are eating for a few days, then plan the next few days and so on...It's all about learning. I think once everyone see's and finds what works best for them, then it is manageable and cheaper. When my husband and I went shopping a few days ago, we looked at different things for future meals, to see what is healthier and cheaper. It all comes down to planning, budgeting, and most of all learning. Luckily on this website, there are more than a few people who have given me idea's and such.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Frozen dinners are not the bargain you may think. You can get coupons and markets often have big sales on them, but ultimately, they cost more than homemade. Moat of these dinners have little nutrition. You usually have to add something to them, say, a salad, to fill you up and provide the necessary nutrients. Plus, these dinners are full of preservatives and mystery ingredients, and their sodium level is high. Some people think they teach portion control, but I think a food scale and measuring cups and spoons would do a better job of teaching.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is not expensive. Also, the mindset of people who think that is off. Instead of buying a new shirt or book or DVD EVERY week, use the money to invest in food and your body. It's a lot better in the long run. When I go shopping, I look at the food first and the price second. And if what I need is more expansive than hte bad stuff? So what? It's a good thing to splurge on.
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You hear it so many times, people saying that they can't afford to eat healthy, it's too expensive. I've even heard it on here, someone saying that healthy eating is too expensive because a bag of apples is 3/4 times the price of a bag of chips/crisps and it's not the only time I've heard people one here say it. Nevermind the fact that that $1 bag of chips is gone in one sitting whereas that $3.50 bag of apples lasts maybe 5 or 6 snacks.

Usually I buy all my shopping in bits and pieces throughout the week but today I sat down and planned out my meals for the entire week - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then I wrote a shopping list so that I'd make sure I got absolutely everything I needed for the week. I partly did this as I'm a trainee teacher and I start my school placement again this week which means I'm pretty busy so don't want to have to keep popping in the shop but also, I wanted to see what it costs me for an entire week. To give you an idea of what I bought, here's my meal plan for the week.

Breakfast is cereal or fruit smoothies, weekend poached eggs.
    Lunch is cous cous salad with tinned tuna or sliced up chicken, humus and veg or soup.
    Dinners are chickpea curry, chicken fajitas, sausages and roasted vegetables, battered fish with sweet potato chips (fries to you americans!) twice this week, chicken stir fry and burgers with sweet potato chips/fries. Plus veg like peas, carrots etc.

Snacks are yoghurts and fruit. I've also got some nut bits already. I didn't have to buy the cous cous as I've got a pack but that's £1-2 and lasts me about a month.

So I went shopping and bought everything that I needed for all of that, plus there'll still be some left over (like a pack of 8 sausages when I only need 4, or 4 bits of chicken when I only need 2, 4 tins of tuna when I only need 3, 8 sweet potatoes when I only need 3 etc) that I can freeze or keep for next week. I spent a grand total of £23.50, so just under $37. That's £3.36/$5.28 a day. I can't even go to McDonalds and buy ONE meal for that. I really hope that this helps show those people who say that they can't afford to eat healthy or that healthy eating is more expensive that it really doesn't have to be, at all. Healthy eating is not only far better for you but with planning, it's even cheaper.

well said... i have saved money already by NOT eating fast food...
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    im so glad you put this topic out there because i was in the store the other day thinking the same thoughts.. im an extremely smart shopper and i buy healthy food all the time for the same price and sometimes less than what i paid for junk food .. and i was even thinking the same how a bag of chips i used to sit and eat in one or two sittings and a big bag of apples last me a few weeks .. i found a place where if you buy 40lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast it only cost 1.29lb.. ummm how do you say no to that ??? thats way less expensive than buying any processed food out there
  • mezzosoprano89
    mezzosoprano89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    SO TRUE!!! I made a comment on a previous forum about the price diff between apples to chips, but that apples last at least a week and chips are gone after one television show.

Yesterday I bought LOTS of healthy things and YES my bill was higher than usual BUT I bought a 10.00 bottle of extra virgin olive oil which will last probably the rest of the semester! The healthy food MAY initially cost more, but will probably last longer and therefore be cheaper over time.

Last night alone my roommates spent 18.25 ordering pizza...that's more than the cost of my olive oil (10.00), meat (5.44), and mushrooms (1.99).

I never thought I'd be eating the way I do now, and after getting super sick after last nights pizza I know I can never go back to eating the way I once did.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    To feel even remotely satisfied eating from McDonald's Dollar Menu, I'd need two double cheeseburgers and a small fry. That's $3.

Or I could buy boneless skinless chicken breasts at $1.99 a pound, frozen veggies at $1.99 a bag, boxed pasta at $.99 a box (the nutritional difference between regular and whole grain isn't enough for me to bother with it), and some pre-made marinade at $2.99 a bottle (which will last months). I could make several healthy, delicious, satisfying meals out of those ingredients at less than $2 a pop.

I want to know where you are and where you shop at.......because here Boneless skinless chicken breast is more like $3.99 a lb or higher.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Some people think they teach portion control, but I think a food scale and measuring cups and spoons would do a better job of teaching.

This, plus, I've found I can eat a LOT more for the same calories if I cook it myself. So it's not even a normal portion.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Well said Caroline G
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Check this site - it is by the Australian Govt, trying to get people to spend their money wisely on healthy food. http://www.foodcentsprogram.com.au/

I am a member of www.simplesavings.com.au which was set up by a young mum because she wanted to save & spend money wisely rather than go out to work, it is an amazing site, full of lots of great ideas, meal planning is one, also going back to basics, cooking from scratch, and recently had a "nude food" campaign which was to get people to buy unprocessed fresh food and prepare it themselves. There is a lot of info you can look at without being a member.

I find it really interesting to look at people's diaries - some are full of packaged food and nary a fresh thing to be eaten. It really comes down to looking at everything and making a better choice. Sometimes fruit and vegies can be really expensive, but if they are too dear we just don't eat whatever it is until they come down in price - usually can substitute something else!

Somewhere I read that eating a lot of processed food is poor value nutritionally so your body craves more food to get the nutrition it needs.

Edited for typos! opps
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Frozen dinners are not the bargain you may think. You can get coupons and markets often have big sales on them, but ultimately, they cost more than homemade. Moat of these dinners have little nutrition. You usually have to add something to them, say, a salad, to fill you up and provide the necessary nutrients. Plus, these dinners are full of preservatives and mystery ingredients, and their sodium level is high. Some people think they teach portion control, but I think a food scale and measuring cups and spoons would do a better job of teaching.

I think they're good training wheels fo learning portion control. It's easier for someone that's just starting out with calorie counting to have frozen meals. You graduate from them though. Plus making your own meals tends to yield larger meals for the same calories.