anyone find green tea help with weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the taste, you can opt for green tea extract in pill form.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/girls-guide-to-supplements.html

"The active ingredients in green tea, particularly the polyphenol epigallocatechin gallate.

EGCG blocks an enzyme that normally breaks down norepinephrine, a neurotransmitter/hormone related to adrenaline that increases metabolic rate and fat burning, keeping norepinephrine levels higher. Green tea extract also has been suggested to help support enhanced muscle recovery after intense workouts, as well as aid in supporting healthy joint function.

Take about 500 mg of green tea extract standardized for EGCG three times daily before meals, with one dose about 30-60 minutes before workouts."
  • kated930
    kated930 Posts: 132
    Options
    the anti-oxidants in green tea block iron absorption, so I would avoid this if you have any history of anemia

is this true?? I just found out that I am anemic and I love green tea, have at least 2 cups a day :(
  • AriadneSnow
    AriadneSnow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    the anti-oxidants in green tea block iron absorption, so I would avoid this if you have any history of anemia

Thank you for this info! My doctor says I'm severly anaemic, I was going to try some green tea reading all the good things about it, but I'll definitely skip it now.

Having done a quick bit of Googling - this advice is good - green tea blocks non-heme iron absobancy (even pro-green tea websites mention this) - and I need all the iron I can get.
  • AriadneSnow
    AriadneSnow Posts: 131 Member
    Options

is this true?? I just found out that I am anemic and I love green tea, have at least 2 cups a day :(
    Do a search on green tea and anaemia - the results convinced me that people with anaemia shouldn't have green tea - but read the evidence yourself so you can come to your own decision.
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Helps me clean up

I put ginger with green tea I got from teavana
  • clkuchtyn
    clkuchtyn Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Her is a little for-your-information...white tea is actually made from baby green tea leaves. It has a lot more milder taste and is actually a concentrated version of green tea.

Also, green and white tea can interfere with some medications (coumadin, warfarin) so don't START drinking it out of the blue if you're on these meds. If you are on these meds and are already drinking it then it's okay to continue. You just don't want to radically change things; doing so will change your INR.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Wow I didn't know that clkuchtyn, thanks for the info. (putting white tea on my shopping list!) :happy:
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Suppresses my appetite without a doubt!

I can get away not eating for half the day if I drink it- of course I don't purposely because that is clearly unhealthy but I have noticed that sometimes it makes me not hungry to the point I forget to eat. It does help in shift work though, to not feel the need to pick at food and be hungry during a long shift where all you can usually think about it eat.

That lack of appetite helps curb the cravings which will assist with weight loss- as long as you are sensible- just remember lots of small meals are better, and this certainly helps cut my portion sizes :)
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Also, green and white tea can interfere with some medications (coumadin, warfarin) so don't START drinking it out of the blue if you're on these meds. If you are on these meds and are already drinking it then it's okay to continue. You just don't want to radically change things; doing so will change your INR.

Oh, interesting! My wife takes coumadin, so this is interesting. I don't think she's really a fan of green tea anyway, but it still interests me. thanks.
  • Rayjewls
    Rayjewls Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Get the green tea bags and steep the yourself and add stevia or any other sweeteners you use.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Green tea inhibits the absorption of FOLIC ACID.
    So, if you drink it every day, be sure to get a supplement of folic acid.
    This is especially important for all PREGNANT women out there and the ones that are trying to conceive.