Suggestions for high protein diet???

Options
124»

Replies

• JoyWoodruff
    JoyWoodruff Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What I've read is that you should eat 1 gram of protien for every pound of lean body mass, so yeah, probably more than 55g. I try for 115g. This should be a minimum, eating above this is okay (maybe even "good") too. I put protein shakes in my coffee. Things like chicken sandwiches for lunch, Greek yogurt for snacks, steak, burgers, meatloaf, etc for dinner. Milk, eggs and cheese really help with protein too.

Wow thank you.. I've never thought about using the protein shakes (maybe the vanilla bean lean shake) in my coffee as a substitute for the creamer (higher sugar content). You just helped me out big time.. I've been struggling with lowering the sugar intake and you've just cut it by 15g for me .. you rock! lol
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    Well it is frustrating when people try to give advice and it's met with, "well I don't want to get bulky lololol."

We are women, we don't have the testosterone necessary to look like men. It is extremely unlikely that you would get bulky unless you spend 8 hours a day lifting weights and start using steroids.

You're saying that you're already below your recommended body weight and you already workout regularly doing zumba, kettlebells, etc. If eating 1200 calories and doing these activities hasn't helped you achieve the physique you want so far, why not try a different plan? I'm not saying stop doing zumba and everything, but why not try a different nutrition plan? Worst case scenario is that you hit your recommended body weight. However, if you exercise intensely on a regular basis, any weight you gain would probably be muscle. Again, don't focus so much on the scale, your weight is already fine. Focus on becoming fit. Yes this might mean weighing more... but it's muscle, not fat.

Posting about a high protein diet WAS to try something new and start lifting. I've just started Zumba a week ago and really any regular exercising just a few weeks ago so hard to say its not "working". I lost weight and toned just a little but read about the protein and lifting and now trying to educate myself that's all. I'm not some airhead lol-ing I don't want to be bulky but that link posted of the fitness model (not the one I posted) is not how I want to look. That doesn't mean i am not willing to work hard. However if I work hard it's going to be to look fit and trim like the one I posted. I am not the first to fear gaining weight or looking TOO muscular (which is still possible without looking like a body builder). You asked the question about which id prefer and I answered. I am committed to get fit and look healthy and I take in all productive advice given to me but I will certainly not have some one tell me I am not willing to work hard and be told I'm a waste of time. You can save that kind of "advice" for someone else.

I've learned to not focus on the scale. I already started taking measurements and trying to track that and how I feel rather than the scale and in have also been slowly a little less calorie conscious. We are all learning here.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    A Few years ago I worked very hard to get tone and lean. Every one has their own opinion on the best way to do it but this is what I did.

I ate Low fat- No fat everything

I did an extensive amount of cardio(running) this leaned me out

I ate so much tuna, turkey,chicken and egg whites I thought I would sprout fins or wings

I squated,dead lifted, bench pressed, curled and crunched with serious weight( Do not be afraid that you will"Bulk up") thats VERY hard to do without intending to do it.

You have to work out every muscle in your body, intentionally. I started watching what everyone was doing at the gym, that gave me ideas, I tried alot of them, found ones that worked best for me, wa-la! a routine developed. When I had a pack but no obliques, I did some reserch to find what excersises would give me defined obliques. Sometimes I tried something someone else was doing at the gym and never knew till a day or two later what muscle it worked out :laugh:

I NEVER used a protein supplement. They add so much additives and sugar that is isnt even funny, not to mention all the calories.

Remember that you burn calories when you lift. Don't be afraid to eat them back.

Good luck! I like that picture you posted of the fitness model. I looked like that but taller:)
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have a question since we are on the topic of protein. Why does MFP seem to want me to do a high carb, low protein diet? I am always over my protein and way under my carb goals, but I eat all day long. I haven't even cut out the high carb stuff like potatoes and bread. I ask this because every time I have done a diet this way, I have failed so this time I have restricted high carb stuff and opt for veggies and fruit for most of my carb intake. Is this bad?
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    A Few years ago I worked very hard to get tone and lean. Every one has their own opinion on the best way to do it but this is what I did.

I ate Low fat- No fat everything

I did an extensive amount of cardio(running) this leaned me out

I ate so much tuna, turkey,chicken and egg whites I thought I would sprout fins or wings

I squated,dead lifted, bench pressed, curled and crunched with serious weight( Do not be afraid that you will"Bulk up") thats VERY hard to do without intending to do it.

You have to work out every muscle in your body, intentionally. I started watching what everyone was doing at the gym, that gave me ideas, I tried alot of them, found ones that worked best for me, wa-la! a routine developed. When I had a pack but no obliques, I did some reserch to find what excersises would give me defined obliques. Sometimes I tried something someone else was doing at the gym and never knew till a day or two later what muscle it worked out :laugh:

I NEVER used a protein supplement. They add so much additives and sugar that is isnt even funny, not to mention all the calories.

Remember that you burn calories when you lift. Don't be afraid to eat them back.

Good luck! I like that picture you posted of the fitness model. I looked like that but taller:)
    [/quote

thanks for the advice.....I just got a hrm so i will definitely feel better about eating back calories now that I have a more accurate way of monitoring it :) i unfortunately can't go to the gym right now but plan to start lifting with my husband a few nights a week and see what I can do :)
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm not some airhead lol-ing I don't want to be bulky but that link posted of the fitness model (not the one I posted) is not how I want to look.

I am committed to get fit and look healthy and I take in all productive advice given to me but I will certainly not have some one tell me I am not willing to work hard and be told I'm a waste of time. You can save that kind of "advice" for someone else.

I said none of these things. I especially did not say that anyone is a waste of time. You asked for advice and I gave it. Hard work and a good diet are necessary. I did say that I am frustrated by women on these threads (all over MFP) thinking they're going to bulk up if they pick up a weight that weighs more than 5 lbs or eat more than 1500 calories. I said that I am tired of wasting my time trying to convince people that this will not happen. I did not mean it as a personal attack on you, so I'm sorry if it sounded that way.
  • molko10
    Options
    you can find some really fun recipes out there for high protein, a couple of my favs are:
    cottage cheese low fat with strawberry protein powder and sugar free jelly crystals
    turkey wrapped in jarlsberg cheese
    greek yogurt mixed with chocolate protein powder
    protein 'fluff' blend a cup of frozen berries, a cup of skim milk and a couple of table spoons of vanilla protein powder. you can freeze it to make a frozen yogurt type deal

protein powder is definitely a great must have for making low cal, high protein dessert options
  • peacelily0507
    Options
    I'm not some airhead lol-ing I don't want to be bulky but that link posted of the fitness model (not the one I posted) is not how I want to look.

I am committed to get fit and look healthy and I take in all productive advice given to me but I will certainly not have some one tell me I am not willing to work hard and be told I'm a waste of time. You can save that kind of "advice" for someone else.

I said none of these things. I especially did not say that anyone is a waste of time. You asked for advice and I gave it. Hard work and a good diet are necessary. I did say that I am frustrated by women on these threads (all over MFP) thinking they're going to bulk up if they pick up a weight that weighs more than 5 lbs or eat more than 1500 calories. I said that I am tired of wasting my time trying to convince people that this will not happen. I did not mean it as a personal attack on you, so I'm sorry if it sounded that way.

you said you felt like you were wasting your time trying to explain it to me...whatever doesn't matter,...i'll take the apology and end this back and forth..
  • projectsign
    Options
    Sorry I am new to this thread. However. What are you looking for the protein diet to do? Are you trying to gain weight (the good kind)? That generally involves at least 1-1/2 to 2grams of protein per pound of body weight. Otherwise there will be no gains. Period. If you don't take in enough protein it just wont happen. Thus the protein shakes. I read (on an earlier post) that there were too many calories and additives in protein shakes but don't let that fool you. There are many very good protein shakes out there low in sugar (almost sugar free) and very low in carbs less than 3 grams per serving. Also some protein shakes have additives that are good such as BCAA's, trace minerals etc. ISO PURE is one of the best, even good for those that are lactose intolerant although I don't care for the flavors. Championship Nutrition Double Chocolate is outstanding and cheaper than ISO Pure. Sadly, even with drinking two protein shakes per day if you double your scoops it's still only 80 grams of protein. Thus it generally means lots of chicken, beef, fish to make up the difference. Eating that much protein can become a drag and very expensive thus bodybuilders consume mostly chicken, eggs and some fish as their primary source of protein (it's cheap). If you are doing the protein diet to bulk up and doing allot of heavy lifting and size is really what you want, you will certainly have to fold in some good carbs (and sugar) as well. But that's a whole new ball game.

If you are looking to simply lose weight then you do not have to consume nearly that amount of protein as stated above. The minimum is rarely difficult for people and well the max is so obscene it's not even worth mentioning. Hard to overeat on carb restricted protein diet if not impossible. It has been stated when eating proteins when not hungry is.... well like pouring gasoline on a fire. I have done the induction phase of Atkins for over a year with outstanding results, and I have also done the Anabolic diet for weight training. Both have advantages. If anyone is looking for advice about either please let me know. Good luck to everyone.