Chicken Nugget Diet

Options

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that all of the moms here are perfect. No one ever made mistakes. With this many perfect moms, the world should be a safe place.

There's quite a difference between making little mistakes and feeding your child chicken nuggets every day for 15 years. No one here is claiming to be a "perfect" mom so your sarcasm is a bit misplaced. Just saying.

Exactly!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was ok to feed my kids McNuggets every once in awhile until I saw this. Now I gag even thinking of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T67DvoH2H3E

Now I drive 5 mins out of my way to NOT drive by a McDonalds. I know it won't last forever (my kids are only 2 and 4) but the idea of this going inot their mouths....blech! :sick:
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    I agree that there are probably a lot of factors here, but poor boundaries in parenting is DEFINATELY a majot player.

Eating disorders don't exist in a vacuum. They're accompanied by other issues - usually insecurity and anxiety. I would be surprised if she didn't have some kind of significant trauma in her history.

But, REALLY - few people are so ignorant to think that eating only chicken nuggets for 15 years is ok. If she truly is that ignorant, then she was not prepared to have children.

... and OF COURSE she's going to say that she did all she could. How many people who get the spotlight for doing something neglectful to their child are going to tell a reporter that they didn't care enough to do what was healthy for their kid, or that they were so ignorant as to not know that eating processed fillers and sodium 3 meals a day for 15 years was insufficient nutrition.

I totally agree. I am a mom, and I am NOT perfect. I still think what this mother did was entirely neglectful.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Its disgusting.

I drove past a McDonalds-- Did you know that you can now get a 50 piece mc nuggets for $9.99???

That's how much it costs for a salad where I live.
    umm where is this McDonalds?? hehe I know of the 20 piece that's just 4.99$ but I didn't know you could get 50 for $9.99. I miss eating nuggets so I bought some tyson chicken nuggets and they seem to be a better choice health wise.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    I'm so glad that all of the moms here are perfect. No one ever made mistakes. With this many perfect moms, the world should be a safe place.

There's quite a difference between making little mistakes and feeding your child chicken nuggets every day for 15 years. No one here is claiming to be a "perfect" mom so your sarcasm is a bit misplaced. Just saying.
    My comment is not about letting your child eat chicken nuggets everyday for 15 years... It's about the "better than all of you other moms" attitudes that come with a post like this. Just sayin'

Hmmm. It must just be because it's the internet that it's coming off that way.. I just thought that it was them talking about how they don't feed their children chicken nuggets every day and disagree with a mom doing so.
    Oh, I get it! And, they don't do anything else "wrong" either. A rare and extreme circumstance that is making everyone feel like "Super Mom!" No, it's not just the internet...it's people with holier than thou attitudes.

The rare & extreme case is the only one this topic was referring to. No one is talking about anything but a mom feeding her child chicken nuggets every day for 15 years. That girl is now in the hospital. Sorry you apparently don't see anything wrong with that but you do see something wrong with moms saying that they see something wrong with it. You're judging moms for being proud of the fact that they feed their children healthy food. Talk about a holier than thou attitude....

:heart:
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    sure is funny, toddlers can only eat what their parents give them... STOP FEEDING KIDS FAST FOOD! the whole clean-plate-club is part of why adults are so overweight now, and now the whole fast-food craze is why kids are so fat.. WE are responsibly for our children's eating habits, if they never eat a chicken nugget then they never have the option to do this to themselves... Please be more conscious of what you feed your kids!

+1

It's a poor parenting decision to initiate a 2 year old to McDonald's.
    Plain and simple.
    Just don't freaking feed your kids fast food!!!!
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    I'm more creeped out that the mother thought it was okay to feed a 2 year old fast food. WTF?

uuuuuuuuummmmmmmm REALY THIS IS THE U.S. FAST FOOD IT A WAY OF LIFE HERE!!!

Troll 211sbuv.jpg
  • LFlo79
    LFlo79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should go on that diet....can't blame my mom for that anymore! Besides...I need to eat a lot of sodium for my low blood pressure. I think it'd be good for me. Are fries involved? :laugh:
  • loserforlife
    Options
    I'm more creeped out that the mother thought it was okay to feed a 2 year old fast food. WTF?

uuuuuuuuummmmmmmm REALY THIS IS THE U.S. FAST FOOD IT A WAY OF LIFE HERE!!!

Troll 211sbuv.jpg

oH OK SO WE ARE 2 NOW! WE DO NOT LIKE WHAT SOMEONE SAYS SO WE CALL THEM NAMES!! GROW THE **UP
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Its disgusting.

I drove past a McDonalds-- Did you know that you can now get a 50 piece mc nuggets for $9.99???

umm where is this McDonalds?? hehe I know of the 20 piece that's just 4.99$ but I didn't know you could get 50 for $9.99. I miss eating nuggets so I bought some tyson chicken nuggets and they seem to be a better choice health wise.
    All of em. 50 piece for 9.99 on sundays only.
  • christinal83
    christinal83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ok, How does anyone know if she has autism or not? Or any kind of health condition or not? Do you guys know her personally???
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm not being funny, but over here in the UK, our food isn't quite as bad as it is over there. Our McDonalds isn't full of the same amount of rubbish as yours is, nor are the portion sizes the same. Yes, OK, there's still quite a lot of salt compared to a healthy home cooked meal, but we don't have the "50 nuggets for $9.99" type offers. Some of us wish we did, but we don't! lol

To go to McDonalds therefore, isn't as abhorrent a thing to do over here as it may seem over there. It's usually a treat. And 15 years ago, McD's still had their kids areas in resturants (some still have them) and they still have happy meals with toys.

I therefore think you should lay off the mother a little for taking her child into McDonalds. We certainly don't witch hunt mothers over here for doing it when you see their kids sitting there in their prams covered in ketchup. Perhaps it's not the best and most wholesome diet, but like I said, it's usually just a treat. It certainly doesn't state in the article that she took her there all the time, you can buy chicken nuggets from the supermarket.

McDonalds was always just a treat for me as a kid (of about 7). We went there once in a blue moon. It was considered "cool" to have your birthday party there.

And like I said before, this girl is now 17 and old enough to make her own decisions about her diet and wellbeing, has been for several years. She recently collapsed at work so what is it going to take for her to realise that this diet is no good for her? Will it be when she's on dialysis?
  • ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    the mother has failed as a parent

Do you really think that's it? Do you think that there is a possibilty that the kid would refuse to eat anything and that a worried parent just gave in?

I think the bashing on parents can be very harsh sometimes. No one is perfect and 90% of parents do the best they can with what they have. Yes, crappy parents exist. But because the girl eats chicken nuggets, her mother failed???
    abother link that goes a little more in depth
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2092071/Stacey-Irvine-17-collapses-eating-McDonalds-chicken-nuggets-age-2.html

"Doctors found that her 15-year ‘chronic chicken nugget addiction’ has left her with anaemia and inflamed veins on her tongue.
    So deficient was her body in vitamins and nutrients that she had to be injected with them. "

15 years. the mother allowed her to eat this and only this from the age 2 and on. for 15 years. yes in my eyes the parent has failed.

Agreed. At the very least, the mother could have given her daughter a vitamin.
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It didn't strike a nerve.

Not all carbs are bad...My boys eat plenty of fruits and whole grains.

Do YOU have kids?

If you do, I bow down to you perfect mother.

If not, I learned a LONG time ago NOT to judge any mother. Actually, this applies to you even if you are a mother.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Ok, How does anyone know if she has autism or not? Or any kind of health condition or not? Do you guys know her personally???
    I don't see how that makes any difference. Is it somehow OK to malnourish an autistic girl?
  • christinal83
    christinal83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't see how that makes any difference. Is it somehow OK to malnourish an autistic girl?

I was just asking because people are going back and forth about it.
    I really can not say how I feel about this because I do not know all the facts or what actually was or was not done.
    My son eats chicken nuggets just about everyday, does that make me a bad parent also? If you think so, I really do not care.
  • Sparkz1920
    Sparkz1920 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.............. Okay. So some people don't have the education or the common sense to know what is bad and what isn't and that makes them horrible parents..........

Okay........ I was just asking

Give me a break. I am sorry we can agree to disagree because chicken nuggets or not, eating basically 1 thing for years isnt healthy and everyone knows that.

Agreed....Last i checked, the child was NOT the parent. When i grew up, children listened to what parents said or there would be consquences.

Chicken nuggets would not have flied in my home. Especially since my mother cooked everyday after work. Yes, when you dont know how to tell your child no, maybe you shoud not be a parent.
  • Sparkz1920
    Sparkz1920 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Look, I was underweight and unhealthy for years growing up. the only thing i would eat was jalapeno cheddar dip (yes, starting before 1 year old), chips, candy and junk. My mother put a stop to that. All it takes is consistency. I wasn't allowed to get up from the table until I ate my vegetables. There were nights that i actually had to sleep at the table because I flat out refused. Needless to say it didnt take long for me to start eating right.

+1.....Im not sure where the excuses are coming from, if u dont allow your child to eat it, they wont eat it. Discipline. Thats like my mother letting me sit there and eat ice cream til my tummy hurts as a child. No....1 bowl and thats it.

I guess i just listened to my mother. There was an authoritive attitude that came with her voice and respect was just given
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I find it very difficult to take this story as being for real. But, assuming it is, the parent should be charged for endangerment and neglect.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Its disgusting.

I work at the one in australia and SIX nuggets is $6.95... js