Don't buy BUITONI pasta products

Options

Replies

• SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing before or after cooking? Maybe there's a difference (since it soaks up water). *shrug*

this!

I always weigh dry or straight out of the package.
    Serving sizes have to be weighed when they are ready to be served after cooking. Maybe after it's cooked you will get the right measurements.
  • jlnordby
    jlnordby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Moisture content plays a big role in the weight of these kind of "dry" products.
    Depending on where you live the weight will fluctuate with the relative humidity...in your area.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing before or after cooking? Maybe there's a difference (since it soaks up water). *shrug*

this!

Serving sizes have to be weighed when they are ready to be served after cooking. Maybe after it's cooked you will get the right measurements.

I hope you don't weigh all your foods after you cook them.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have contacted companies before and they always make it right.. Most recent was a toy company about one my sons toys... Not only did they send me a brand new racer ($40) they told us to keep the old one that still works...lol On a smaller note i complained about my chicken soup not having a flavor packet in it and i received coupons for tons of free product and about 20 $1 off.. never hurts to complain :)
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    well that's strange..anyway I only buy Barilla pasta, it's the best :) try it!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    You will find this is the case with many products unfortunately.

Yeah ever since I started using my digital scale all the time I've noticed it happens a lot. I really should start writing all these companies and getting my coupons in return for my disappointment....
  • live4turns
    Options
    well that's strange..anyway I only buy Barilla pasta, it's the best :) try it!

Me too, I buy the case of "Thin Spaghetti" at Costco, but when I feel lazy i buy Buitoni, just boil and done!
  • live4turns
    Options
    I have contacted companies before and they always make it right.. Most recent was a toy company about one my sons toys... Not only did they send me a brand new racer ($40) they told us to keep the old one that still works...lol On a smaller note i complained about my chicken soup not having a flavor packet in it and i received coupons for tons of free product and about 20 $1 off.. never hurts to complain :)

A case of Buitoni wouldn't hurt.
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    If you were my grandma, you would write the company and complain that they are misrepresenting their product and they would in turn send you coupons for free stuff. She once counted all of the nuts in a mixed nuts container that said "Less than 25% peanuts". It was over 25% peanuts, so she called them out on it!

That is brilliant! I now want to make a career of this!
  • 707janette
    707janette Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    let us know how the company responds when you hear back.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    OUCH!
    Let me say this.
    My biggest suspicion of processed food products, including healthy foods like protein bars, shakes and such, is label validity.
    I just never completely trust that the actual end product is what the label claims. The ideal I strive toward is to eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies all from scratch.

If man makes it, don't eat it.:bigsmile:
  • jessashcher
    Options
    at the very bottom of their web page in light colored writing is a contact us.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I've bought Buitoni's products a couple of times but each time I weigh the products, they are way under what the label says. For example. A serving is 106 g and the label says it contains "About 2 1/2 servings" but when I weigh it out it comes out to about 200 to 240 g. That's almost a serving under. This happened each time I purchased their products but tonight it came out WAY UNDER. It was 203 g.

I'm pretty sure the serving is cooked, not dry and with the water being absorbed you probably get roughly 2 1/2 servings per package.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options

this!

I hope you don't weigh all your foods after you cook them.

I don't , but I also don't weight out an entire box before I cook it either trying to figure out if the company robbed me of a half portion or a few grams.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I definitely weigh my food after its cooked! I want it to be exact!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Next time you go to the store, ask a sales clerk to weigh it on the checkout scale to see the weight. Obviously this will also include the packaging but will give you an idea. I'm guessing your scale is off - simply because the company would face such serious fines and penalties if they actually were shorting their products. If you really are concerned about this, contact your attorney general's office.

Pasta is always weighed dry - that is what the nutritional facts are based on (dry weight).

Keep in mind that weight and mass are not the same thing. The mass of a defined amount of matter is the same regardless of where is it measured. This is not true for weight which varies depending on where the measurement is taken.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Read your labels more carefully. Sometimes nutritional info is given in uncooked weight (rice and pasta especially).
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    If you were my grandma, you would write the company and complain that they are misrepresenting their product and they would in turn send you coupons for free stuff. She once counted all of the nuts in a mixed nuts container that said "Less than 25% peanuts". It was over 25% peanuts, so she called them out on it!

LoL...I tried to. On their package it says "Contact us! www.buitoni.com" but there is no "contact us" tab anywhere on the site. I am going to call their 1-800 number because I've had it with companies taking advantage of consumers.

Their "contact us" tab is all the way on the bottom of their site. (oops sorry, just noticed others have already said this and you have contacted them).

http://www.buitoni.com/Contact-Us.aspx

Go Giants! I am a Bears fan myself but I truly cannot stand the Patriots.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options

Read your labels more carefully. Sometimes nutritional info is given in uncooked weight (rice and pasta especially).

Yes, its very true with pasta i learned the hard way to cook only a single serving separately for myself. Luckily I dont eat much pasta.
    I definitely read labels and I love my digital scale because it allows me to measure using the same form of measurements used on the label.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    I was somewhat on your side until you posted that something the company could do to make it right is to send you a case of pasta.

Unfortunately your not alone in that line of thinking, society has changed so much lately. We all want to be compensated immediately for a perceived wrong-doing and of course the compensation has to be well above what the original product was and the actual harm done.

Sorry to rant but had to get that out.