How do I get out of starvation mode?

Options

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Not sure I understand completely. You still have 30 pounds to lose and are concerned that you are no longer losing 2 or more pounds a week? Has your weight loss stopped or slowed? When was the last time you did lose? Since your food and exercise diary is closed it is difficult to give any constructive advice. To add calories you have great suggestions in the answers above mine. Change up something you've been doing so your body is forced to react to the change. May just be used to what you eat and how you exercise especially if it's a very structure program per se. Good luck!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    You probably aren't in starvation mode. It takes an extended period of time eating much less than that. You've hit a wall, up your calories and change your work out.

Starvation mode happens to anorexic girls/boys who are eating a few hundred calories a day for months..

(ETA: friend pointed out it also happens to boys, this is not a magical "female problem")
  • hettylair
    hettylair Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My reply was only directed at the one word Smart *kitten* answers. When someone replies with "Eat." I find it sarcastic because I do eat. I do appreciate all of the helpful responses though. I was looking to do a little more research, I should have been more clear. I like the avacado, nuts, egg, cheese idea. That's not going to make me feel bad. Those are great ideas for clean eating.
    I also very much appreciate. I think maybe I need to think about a previous poster's suggestion about going on maintenance for a couple of weeks. I wasn't sure if it would take a month or a week or a few days. Maybe the scale is stuck because I am at a plateau. I have been working on speed with running, so I'll look into changing from the Body Pump class to some other type of strengthening class also.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I love the vultures on here that freak when someone says 'I'm not eating all my calories' or '1200'! Like those are cursed words or something 8-) Saying Eat helps anything. We're trying to make a lifestyle change here people! It's not that easy!! Okay, rant complete!!

I'm in the same boat and then my calories go up with exercise I'm negative net calories, Ahhh!! So here has been my new plan for eating and I have been doing better. Some of those crazy things you do for a 'diet' I've cut back on. I eat FULL fat sour cream! I noticed on some of those smart choices you make if you make all of them you end up too low, so just make some of them. On days I work out and burn a ton of calories, I make a latte at home ~200 calories that I shouldn't have but my body needs those extra calories and most of them are coming from milk anyway and calcium is never a bad thing! Yesterday I had a hot dog for lunch with my daughter and it was the first time I hit my goal! So that's my advice to go up on calories when you're just not hungry make some bad choices. I hope the vultures like that!

Now when you have lost weight, the weight loss will slow. Just because your BMI has changed. Change things up alittle do a different workout, take a meal off and eat a pile of pasta. Sometimes your body just gets comfortable where it's at and doesn't want to change so it just needs a kickstart! Good luck!! And don't ever post those 'taboo words' again ;-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't eat junk to make up the extra calories. Add healthy whole food rich in vegetable fat and/or protein like nuts, fish, avacado, beans, etc. Just up your calories, keep exercising and give your body time to adjust.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter if you eat crap food or not. calories in calories out. it's all about a caloric defecit.
  • channa007
    Options
    Umm. I do eat. I just don't eat crap food. Looking for HELPFUL answers.

eating is a if not the only helpful answer. it's been proven time and time again that it's not what you eat it's how much you eat. don't believe me research it. eating clean is a myth.
  • channa007
    Options
    My reply was only directed at the one word Smart *kitten* answers. When someone replies with "Eat." I find it sarcastic because I do eat. I do appreciate all of the helpful responses though. I was looking to do a little more research, I should have been more clear. I like the avacado, nuts, egg, cheese idea. That's not going to make me feel bad. Those are great ideas for clean eating.
    I also very much appreciate. I think maybe I need to think about a previous poster's suggestion about going on maintenance for a couple of weeks. I wasn't sure if it would take a month or a week or a few days. Maybe the scale is stuck because I am at a plateau. I have been working on speed with running, so I'll look into changing from the Body Pump class to some other type of strengthening class also.

first of all, your assumption of my answer being "smart *kitten*" is incorrect. you asked for advise I provided it. the fact that you're eating only 1000 calories is obsurd. it suggest you haven't the first clue about dieting. 1200 is the very minimum you should be eating and if you're eating less you're headed for trouble. my guess is that you're probably either eating more than you're tracking or you're tracking less than foods actually add up to. whatever the case the answer remains a one word response. eat.
  • hettylair
    Options
    Channa. Thanks for all your support. Now go "help" someone else.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Eat more proetin and calorie dense foods. Eat sea salt almonds, peanut butter, hardboiled eggs and cheese. Try and NET at least 1200 calories each day by planning ahead and eating every 3 hours (snacks that are calorie dense on workout day).
  • hettylair
    Options
    This must be a plateau then, because I still have energy to keep up with my family and my runs are getting faster and easier the more I do it. I am going to try adding a half an avacado and an egg a day on top of my normal diet. That's what I was looking for. Thanks MFP. I'm so ready to get rid the remaining 27. Best wishes to everyone on meeting your weight loss and fitness goals.
    Hetty
  • channa007
    Options
    Channa. Thanks for all your support. Now go "help" someone else.

Sounds good... perhaps if you really wanted help you'd have opened your diary so people could really "help" you. Take care.
  • EJsMummy26
    EJsMummy26 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I add my exercise calories at the beginning of the day, so I budget calories effectively throughout the whole day so I'm not trying to find something to eat or eating and not hungry. Also, that way I mentally force myself to work out in the evening.
  • hettylair
    Options
    I add my exercise calories at the beginning of the day, so I budget calories effectively throughout the whole day so I'm not trying to find something to eat or eating and not hungry. Also, that way I mentally force myself to work out in the evening.

That's a great idea to log the food early. I think I get so bogged down with keeping calories low through the day that I have too much to eat up later in the day without feeling like I've over-eaten.
  • canadiansister
    Options
    Not sure if someone else posted this or not but perhaps you should change up your exercise routine.
  • melidawinnie
    melidawinnie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You might try same foods with higher calories- like skim milk to 2% or whole
    yogurts don't do light---- cottage cheese don't get light- salad dressings come in a wide range of calories - and actually measure so you know exactly your calorie intake. I'm new at this too and have found that eating more times a day with better choices= one problem. By the end of the day I have calories left over and am not hungry
    but I was eating LIGHT everything ... I have lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks. Have only been tracking my actual intake for 4 days now. Hope this helps
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I would say switch to less starch/carbs and more protein in general. Also, consider a cleanse or some psyllium fiber and acidophilus capsules to help clean up your insides a bit more. I think better digestion always helps.

Good luck!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

How can anyone be helpful when you're diary is closed? Are you eating enough? Or are you staying under your calorie goal?
  • BeautyAndStrength50
    BeautyAndStrength50 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    To not get into starvation mode u eat every 2-3 hrs. I eat 5-6 times a day even if its a fruit etc...
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options

Eat more

Sorry but that is the answer...eat...eat 5 times a day and be sure you have protein. You asked a simple question and they gave you the answer...EAT FOOD