Hints to fall in love with exercise?

Options

Replies

• Princesslenox
    Princesslenox Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What helps me get through 45 minutes of walking on the treadmill is listening to music, watching my favorite cartoon spongebob and imagning where i want to be physically.
  • mizzdivat
    mizzdivat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You gotta have some bangin music, do exercises you like such as: dancin, walking, yoga, etc. Having good music when I exercise is key because then i'm not so focused on the exercise and it goes by quicker. Good luck dear :)
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    Group fitness!
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Buy a new dog? I am typing this before heading out the door with my boxer who insists on his walks. It is motivating but of course you don't want to get a pet just for that. sorry that you don't have yours anymore. Come to think of it, I used to like the treadmill when I could talk to my best friend but after I lost her, it lost its appeal. so I am thinking you really need something new, too.

I would suggest continuing to try new things until you find something you do love (or at least like a whole lot). I personally detest treadmills - any other cardio equipment at your gym you can try to mix it up? I am not a big fan of lots of cardio anyway, I prefer strength training. Currently looking into getting some kettlebells for something new.

Here is a video I found this morning about a piece of equipment to make and use at home:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAYUO1XKYY&feature=player_embedded#!
    And there is a dvd workout for it here:
    http://bcbhf.com/store-2/store/#ecwid:category=1144216&inview=product4668979&mode=category&offset=0&sort=priceDesc

I have been doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred in January with a goup on here. I am just about sick of it but it was a lot more fun doing it with a group. Maybe try different classes at your gym. You never know what will spark you and really turn you on.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I second previous posters - try out a lot of different things if you can, and see what you like and get excited about. If you have a gym membership, try their different classes, try more weight training, try music you love, even audiobooks. It's a personal experiment - enjoy the process!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Do what's fun.

The things that are fun and you don't notice the "exercise"

Like dancing
    swimming

My fun is Aqua Zumba where it's more fun than exercising. The hour class is over before I realize it!!

^^^ This! If you're not enjoying yourself, it becomes a chore and you won't stick with it. If you have a Wii or a Kinect, there are lots of fun games that get you up and moving. We just got a Kinect and bought Dance Central to go with it. It is SO much fun! It even gets my hubby and my younger bro off the couch and moving. Fruit Ninja is another one. I've heard Zumba is super fun, too (there are classes you can take, or Zumba for the Kinect).

Look into dance classes, martial arts, swimming, find some walking/jogging buddies (MFP is a great place to find buddies). Find an event to train for, a 5K, a Warrior Dash, something that will give you some motivation to continue training. The important thing is to keep moving and do what you enjoy. :)
  • 20dee
    20dee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Go to your local animal shelter and take the dogs on a walk/run. You and the dogs from there will benefit from the exercise and time will go by quickly. You will leave there with a smile:)
  • thekateb
    Options
    If you like to dance at all and have it available, I HIGHLY recomment ZUMBA!!!! It is SO much fun and you can burn between 700-900 calories in an hour. You don't even notice that you are working out and the hour is over before you know it :)
  • acantu59
    acantu59 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA! 'nuff said... :happy:
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't love exercise, but have gotten past that point of every minute of it being sheer willpower. Taking group classes that I enjoy makes a huge difference for me (zumba is fun fun fun!!), good music, and seeing and feeling results drives me. Once you get past a certain point, it gets easier and I daresay, you may look forward to your workouts and dread having to miss them. Once you have invested enough time and effort into yourself, you won't want to let it go.
  • ambut
    ambut Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with what many people have said. Almost everyone gets bored with the treadmill, so you're in good company. I would suggest trying some classes at a local gym if you can. Dancing, including Zumba, can be very fun. I also like cardio kickboxing (Turbo Jam) which I do at home sometimes. Try to find something that you actually like to do, regardless of whether it is explicitly exercise. A co-worker of mine goes trampolining every week and burns CRAZY calories while jumping around like she's 6 years old. Anything that makes you feel good is a good choice for you, I'd say. If your goal is weight loss, you can focus much more on the nutrition aspect and not worry about the exercise as much. If you're trying to gain strength and endurance, however, you do actually have to incorporate more exercise.

Good luck!
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Go to your local animal shelter and take the dogs on a walk/run. You and the dogs from there will benefit from the exercise and time will go by quickly. You will leave there with a smile:)

I agree! I used to walk dogs for the animal shelter, it is great exercise and you will feel SOOOO good about helping them!
    ~Jess
  • Scarlot
    Options
    If you find it really boring then do it more! I know it sounds stupid but if you do something like excersise for so long it just becomes part of your day, and once it's a lifestyle rather than an extra you won't even register the boring part (It's almost like going to school but with better music :P) x
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It seems your dog was a motivator for you to get out there and stay entertained. Maybe it would help to get a group of friends to motivate you and keep you entertained during your work outs. My boyfriend has circuit training and MMA training 2-3 times a week at the park with some of this friends. They keep each other motivated, and they aren't busy, because they are always doing/ learning something new.

When I needed to lose weight to fit into my prom dress in high school, I took up Dance Dance Revolution, a video game that has you simulate dancing on a pad, and gives you scores on how accurate you are. It was so fun, that once my endurance was back up, I could easily play 2 hours in a day, and not be bored. The only breaks I got were when I was choosing a song. It is great. I highly recommend it.
  • the_dutchess
    Options
    I know where you are coming from, I absolutely hate to exercise. If you have a PS3 or any game console they make video games to workout with. The one that I use and like the most for the PS3 is Zumba!!! Its fun and its over before you know it!!! The sessions come in 20 min and 45 min. I do the 20 min ones to warm up and when its over I always say "It's over already?" You just have to find something you enjoy to do, or do it with someone to keep your mind off of what your actually doing!!! I hate Strength training and Ideas????? GOOD LUCK YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • lauraleigh31
    Options
    I really enjoy my Zumba class. I go every Monday and Thursday. My best friend and I have a lot of fun laughing at! If you have a community center in your town I would definitly check out the classes they offer. I find that having to pay each month motivates me to go and once I get there it is a lot of fun.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    As other have noted, music and exercises you enjoy. Another thing is to find a committed friend and work out together.

Once you start seeing the results, the rest will come easy.
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Two things... A gym buddy (For the fun and the competitive nature, and like everyone else said M-U-S-I-C. If I go to Planet in the am, I watch the morning news shows as well. You need something to take your mind off the exercise/fitness nature of it! Add me if you want to I'll challenge you as well.
  • bobbin1
    bobbin1 Posts: 60
    Options
    Try doing Zumba either on your Wii, playstation or X box. It is so much fun you don't even realize you are exercising. I also go to class once a week so I can better learn the steps. Zumba is like a dance aerobics .
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am Cassandra, I am 22 and live in Maine and I hate exercise. It is so boring! I run/walk on a treadmill at the gym and take walks outside, weather permitting, but get uninterested and bored so quickly and dread it. I used to love taking walks, bike rides, and runs because my dog went with me, but I don't have her anymore.
    Does anybody have any tips?? Please help.

Try group exercise classes!! I take a Zumba class and love it. The high energy, group atmosphere pushes me work harder. Plus it's mad fun!! Zumba Fitness 2 for the Wii is also Awesome. Try doing something fun to help you get your calorie burn or work out with a friend or family. The wii or Kinect is a fun way to get your family involved. Plenty of fun games to get you moving.