Does You Spouse Motivate Or Complicate Your Weight Loss?

Options

Replies

• NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    He is unsupportive, but loves the changes that my body has made.
    His being so negative only feeds into me wanting it that much more, so he is a help in that sense.
    Just wish he would join in!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I always wonder how other married/long-term relationship people handle trying to lose weight with their person always around.

Is he/she a help or a hinderance?

Hinder indeed. Not that he tries to. We're not married or anything but we've been going out for over a year.

He likes to sit and eat creamy buttery deep fried takeout things. I try to get him out for walks and things but that's always fail so I gave up. Then he's unimpressed when I go hiking with guys he doesn't know (who I am completely uninterested in and some have girlfriends...I'm a computer girl, most of the people I meet are men).

I like to move and eat veggies. I'd be a vegetarian if I could actually keep vegetables long enough to eat (hard when you're shopping for one and you're going back and forth from house to house carrying luggage, don't want to carry groceries too).

This is the reason I'm here actually. Since we started dating I've gained 15 pounds (and I was trying to loose when we met).

He travels allot so I tend to eat healthy and exercise allot and loose weight when he's gone :P He's trying to be healthy himself now (he says that ever week tho so we'll see).

And just to note this makes him sound bad but he's really wonderful, always offering to get me delicious bad for me foods haha. When he knows I'm stressed he always pops by with snacks.
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My hubby is very supportive. Agreed to change up the meals, using lean turkey or chicken instead of beef. Does not have a problem with me working out. Does not give me a hard time about no sweets, etc in the house. Even agreed to eating out less. We normally eat out 2-3 times a week. Hence, one reason why I am overweight..

I know he keeps snacks in his truck, which is okay because I don't see them. If I don't see them I don't get the temptation to eat them. :)
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I WOULD HAVE TO SAY A BIT OF BOTH. SOME TIMES HE MOTIVATES ME BUT HE IS ALSO VERY SUPPORTIVE IN MY EFFORTS AND HE TELLS ME THAT HE SEES A DIFFERENCE FROM LOOKING AT OUR PREVIOUS PICTURES BUT HE SAYS HE NEVER KNEW THAT I WAS REALLY BIG BECAUSE HE NEVER LOOKED AT ME LIKE THAT WHICH I THOUGHT WAS REALLY CUTE BECAUSE MY HUSBAND IS FIT AND SEXY. HE EATS LIKE A HORSE AND A COW AND WILL ONLY GAIN A FEW POUNDS AND THEN HE STARTS LIFTING WEIGHTS AND EVERY BULGE TURNS INTO SEXY MUSCLES. DAMN HE IS SOOOO LUCKY. I HATE HIM FOR THAT. LOL. BUT HE COMPLICATES IT WITH ALWAYS HAVING SUCH MANNERS AND OFFERING ME THE JUNK HE EATS AND I AM NOT THAT STRONG. BUT OVERALL HE IS GOOD. WHEN I TELL HIM ABOUT MY WEIGHT LOSS AND NSV'S HE SAYS, "THAT'S GREAT NEWS, SO YOU WANNA DO IT?" MEN. LOL GOTTA LOVE HIM.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    A little bit of both.

Sometimes he's good. Sometimes he's not so much. Overall, he's very supportive.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Both. she is happy that i am being healthy but doesn't always cook that way. In the end, it's my job to make sure that i don't over eat what she cooks.
  • hmseals
    hmseals Posts: 30
    Options
    My husband is very supportive. He is always encouraging me and telling me that I can do it! He even does the grocery shopping!!
  • mizzdivat
    mizzdivat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My hubby is every supportive. Everytime I look at him i'm motivated because he is a fit soccer player with a six pack:smile: On a serious note, he genuinely does care about my health and even works out with me every now and then. A blessing:smile:
  • coke_zer0
    Options
    Complicate for the most part. Although sometimes if I want chips at night he tells me no.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    He's supportive of my exercising but is not at all supportive when it comes to food. His theory is that you can eat anything you want as long as you eat in moderation. It's probably true, but I can't eat anything I LOVE in moderation, and I explain this allllll the time.
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Both as well: she is motivating as I just have to copy her fod intake but unfortunately she does not like slim men, so she sometimes try to increase my calories. The worse are actually fruits, she eat 10 of them every day and my carbs and sugar are therefore always too high
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I guess I take it for granted. Hubby and all three of my children (all boys) are 100% supportive. No crap in the house. Often someone to workout with me and lots of high fives. They are really proud. They are all thin. I'm the only heavy one in the house. It everyone wants to eat out but I don't have many calories left or much sodium left, then we don't eat out or we find a healthy alternative. Now we all go for frozen yogurt or whatever. They still have more treats than I do, but seriously, I've got it good.

What a bunch of sweethearts!! You are a blessed woman:)
  • bonnt
    bonnt Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Both, although he's more of a hinderance. He's really supportive in that he congratulates me, treats me when I reach a goal, and sometimes watches our daughter so I can go downstairs and use the treadmill. However, when I talk about needing/wanting to get more exercise in, he says just for one day that I should take a break (I DO have rest days, which are usually days I spend 100% with him!). If we go out to eat, he gets annoyed that I try to look in advance to figure out what to eat, or if I make any changes to my meal to make it lower calorie. He eats all this crap food around me, and even asks that I make him cookies, rice krispies treats, etc. I don't mind making things for him, but it's really hard for me to have it in the house.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    both. he is supportive in the sense that he's sensitive to what i want to eat, encourages me to take walks with him and stuff...but then can eat like a giant bowl of spaghetti and not gain a pound. or, he'll want to make a cake or cupcakes or something, and i just can't have that stuff around!

Pretty much this :grumble: :laugh:
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I get zero support from my wife. If I talk about my goals or progress she ignores me. She snacks every night and is overweight but doesnt seem to care.
    Its frustrating, as I work daily at losing weight and toning, like most people on MFP. Im at the gym 4 times a week and encourage her to come but she has never done so. All in all she complicates my weight loss.
  • marasw
    marasw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Neither. He really doesn't have any effect on my weight loss one way or the other. He is, however, very patient with me when I absolutely cannot be satisfied. If he offers me a cookie I get mad. If I want a cookie and he says "Are you sure you want it?" I get mad. If he eats a cookie I get mad. There is no pleasing me. Thankfully he puts up with it.
  • macylane4
    macylane4 Posts: 224
    Options
    We have been working on losing weight together. He hit the 80lbs mark and has stopped...he has no more to lose! I still have a lot to lose, so now he is maintaining, and I'm still trying to lose...it get difficult, but we just stopped eating together for the most part! As for him motivating me or helping me...not so much. I think it might make him jealous when people compliment me? Either way I've decided to dot his for me, and i don't care what people around me are doing...I've made up my mind, and following through!!!!
  • dolphin9803
    Options
    I guess I am the only one who has a completely NON supportive husband. That is why I joined MFP. I have found many freinds on here to give me the support I need because I know I will not get it from him. I cannot wait for the day I am to my goal weight with a smoking hot body, then maybe he will actually be supportive OR at least acknowledge that I was successful this time. AND that I did it without his support and help.

I'm right there with ya hun!! My hubby always tells me "I don't see why you have to do this you look great the way you are" There lies the problem I don't wanna look great anymore, da**it I wanna be smokin like the way I have seen him check other women out...lol

Therefore I don't tell him anything about how much I have lost or how many inches are gone I figure he'll figure it out one day :)
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I am very lucky, my husband is super supportive. He loves me and finds me attractive at any weight (although he has admitted her prefers me with some extra meat on my bones). At the same time, he is supportive of me wanting to lose weight, because it makes me happy. He also has his own fitness goals (which involve being fit, but not worrying about weight, since that has never been a problem for him at all), and is a great gym buddy. He is mostly very good about not having certain foods in the house, and happily eats almost everything I cook. There are two down sides, one is that he can eat whatever he wants and not gain weight, so it's easy for me to forget that I can't. The other is that I have to make sure there are plenty of whole grains for him to eat, since he has a very high metabolism and will be too hungry otherwise, if it was just me, I'd skip the grains entirely a lot of the time. Overall, I am exceptionally lucky to be with someone who is so supportive
  • Sabineslims
    Options
    He is super supportive. My hubs is very athletic and has always been in shape. His job demands elite athletes so he has no choice but to keep up. I don't think he'd ever give up working out even if his job didn't hold him accountable.

He always encourages me to go run with him, lift weights, go hiking, etc.

Sometimes we do butt heads in the kitchen. He doesn't eat terribly but he doesn't understand my need to count/measure/weigh everything I consume. He loves to cook so this becomes a chore to him.

I try to come half way and do the measuring for him in his prep. We love to cook together so this becomes quality time together.

My husband can eat tons of food and not gain a pound. I can look at a bagel and gain 10 pounds. He has a hard time understanding that I need to account for everything that goes in my mouth in order to achieve weight loss. With him, he can just eat healthy foods and eye the portions and lose weight/maintain. He's got my dream metabolism.

But in all, he is super supportive and if I just meet him halfway in the kitchen, we're both happy campers! I'm a really lucky girl :)