Dissapointed in myself

Replies

• spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    I just wanted to throw something out there... it might be dumb, but here goes.

Is there a recipe for a "homemade" Protein shake... maybe it wouldn't be as expensive. I'm not that knowledgeable about shakes :embarassed:

I have a friend who looks really "cut up", but he is always wanting to gain more weight (probably muscle). He eats lots of food, but the only thing that seems to get him where he "likes" is the protein shakes.

Another thought... why can't you just work on weight lifting and not HIIT. Then when you reach the size you want, you can incorporate the cardio again. My uneducated 2 cents :laugh:

I wish I had the answer, cause you are always so good with helping everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Thats the stuff that I just bought the other day! I tried a half a scoop of vanilla in my smoothie the other night and it wasn't bad. The person that sold it to me told me to stay away from the cookies and cream and the strawberry one. She said the taste wasn't the greatest. Just thought I would let ya know in case you do get it.

Good to know! I was thinking about getting the cookies and cream, but maybe I'll just get the chocolate and vanilla ones to try first. THANKS!

Your welcome! I got vanilla and banana cream. I figured the banana one would be good mixed with strawberries in a smoothie too. I'll let you know what I think of that one once I try it.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Actually I LOVE the cookies and cream. The chocolate caramel is also very good. :smile:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Ha! it's when I stop you should be concerned, cuz I've either given up, or I'm dead!:tongue:

But yeah, I've been researching whey protein for the last week or so. It's very expensive though. Thinking about getting this one :
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3060684&cp=2108294

cuz it's cheap and the nutrition numbers look good.

The problem is, for the amount I'd have to eat, to make a difference, I'm looking at 100 to 150 bucks a month extra. That's pretty steep!

I saw someone else on here looking at whey protein, and they went with the EAS brand. I looked up the nutrition info, and it seems pretty similar to the GNC one, and it's about $35 for 5lb. (of course, I'm no expert on protein powder or muscle building). Just thought that could help with the cost for you. I'm also interested to hear what others have to say.

Oh, and as a side note, your 3400 calories is over twice my maintenance calories. I don't think I could ever eat that much healthy food!
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    honey, you are much too thin. Please eat a sammich!
    me_stick.jpg

lol!

I love this one, I like how my arms and the line of my abs looks here. This is at Margaritaville in Negril!

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/Banks1850/Jamaica2009/P2120159.jpg

HUBBA HUBBA :wink:
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    I have tears in my eyes looking at this post...:sad: :sad: :sad:
    Oh Banks how I would love to be in your shoes...I know I know im not helping but I couldnt not comment...I am literally in physical pain from my eyes reading this...actually I think they are bleeding ...Your a good boy for helping your DW by not wanting to eat potatoes in front of her - my husband is stick thin naturally and tries his best to keep his eating of foods I cant have to a minimum and it REALLY helps and encourages me...so kudos for that! :glasses: :glasses:

xxPINK
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    the main reason to do high cardio is to lose weight (imrpoving heart function may be a goal but weight loss is gonna happen)

you are doing 6 days of high cardio

if you want to gain weight you gotta cut back on the cardio

youi know that
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Actually I LOVE the cookies and cream. The chocolate caramel is also very good. :smile:

Well since I didn't actually try it, take her advice maybe. :laugh: I didn't even see the chocolate caramel one. That sounds pretty tasty! Have you tried any of the others?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    the main reason to do high cardio is to lose weight (imrpoving heart function may be a goal but weight loss is gonna happen)

youi know that

I'm not doing 6 days of high cardio. I do 3 days of very high intensity HIIT training. Big difference. I do 3 days of Weight training, 3 days of HHIIT, and 2 days of moderate cardio.

FYI Hit training isn't strictly for cardio. HIIT training is actually anaerobic, and while it won't build mass it does increase muscle density, reaction time, and core strength. Also, HIIT training is a fantastic fat burner. While Yeah, I do want to build muscle mass, I'm also interested in lowering my Body Fat %, and that is why I do the HIIT training.

My bi-weekly routine usually looks like this:
    WEEK 1
    day 1 - Lower body weight training to failure (5 to 7 sets of various leg and glut exercises with heavy weight) and 4 core exercises for 1 minute each, later on, 30 minutes of moderate cardio.
    day 2 - HHIIT (tabata or my own specialized routine) about 45 minutes including stretching and warm up/cool down time
    day 3 - Upper body weight training to failure (about 10 sets of various arms, chest, shoulder, and back with heavy weight to failure) core training
    day 4 - HHIIT (tabata or my own specialized routine) about 45 minutes including stretching and warm up/cool down time
    day 5 - Lower body weight training to failure (5 to 7 sets of various leg and glut exercises with heavy weight) and 4 core exercises for 1 minute each, later on, 30 minutes of moderate cardio.
    day 6 - HHIIT (tabata or my own specialized routine) about 45 minutes including stretching and warm up/cool down time
    day 7 - rest, and baseball usually.

WEEK 2 same as week one but Upper and lower are reversed.
  • SHBoss1673

youi know that

and also, weight loss only happens at caloric deficit. You know that dave. I'm not at caloric deficit, I am struggling to get to caloric surplus, but I always make it to maintenance. You can reduce FAT at maintenance, but you cannot reduce weight at maintenance.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    No advice for you Boss, since you're the one usually helping me
    Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK figuring it all out!
    This may be a lame attempt at advice, but what about protein shakes...adding whey protein and/or ground flax?

Kim
  • SHBoss1673
    This may be a lame attempt at advice, but what about protein shakes...adding whey protein and/or ground flax?

Kim

thanks K.

see above. I'm definitely getting some. In fact I'll be at GNC around 2:00 today. :flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member

Kim

thanks K.

see above. I'm definitely getting some. In fact I'll be at GNC around 2:00 today. :flowerforyou:

Oops...sorry
    didn't read all the responses
    :flowerforyou:
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member

Kim

thanks K.

I don't know if you have a bulk food store around you, but I buy plain whey protein isolate at our bulk barn at a fraction of the cost of the powder mixes at GNC. it tastes like crap if you just try and mix it with water, but is totally fine added to everything from my oatmeal to smoothies.
  • SHBoss1673

Kim

thanks K.

I don't know if you have a bulk food store around you, but I buy plain whey protein isolate at our bulk barn at a fraction of the cost of the powder mixes at GNC. it tastes like crap if you just try and mix it with water, but is totally fine added to everything from my oatmeal to smoothies.

Ahh, dunno, never even thought of that. I live near the city (10 miles from downtown Boston), not really any farms within an hour's drive of me (really none until about 2 hours away), so I'd have to check on that. I'll keep it in mind though, thanks!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member

youi know that

and also, weight loss only happens at caloric deficit. You know that dave. I'm not at caloric deficit, I am struggling to get to caloric surplus, but I always make it to maintenance. You can reduce FAT at maintenance, but you cannot reduce weight at maintenance.

wouldnt your maintenance cal requirement be lower if you didnt burn so many cals with the cardio?
    of course it would

so if you have trouble eating all the food, lower your burned calories and you could eat the same amount and move towards surplus......if you are tryiong to burn fat AND gain...it might be easier or less time to just burn the fat off then build up...reducing fat and gaining mass at the same time is very hard to do...the muscle mag guys all say restrict cardio when in gain mode
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member

Kim

thanks K.

Ahh, dunno, never even thought of that. I live near the city (10 miles from downtown Boston), not really any farms within an hour's drive of me (really none until about 2 hours away), so I'd have to check on that. I'll keep it in mind though, thanks!

Ah...Canadian content. sorry..:happy: Bulk Barn is a chain store here that sells all manner of ingredients out of bulk bins that you bag and weigh yourself. I can get anything from base things like oatmeal and dry soup mix to some of the food industry stuff like whey protein or xantham gum to :devil: evil goodies like broken Oh Henry bars!!! The place can be deadly tempting, but SO good for doing any kind of scratch baking. And Bulk doesn't mean lots! Because you weigh and measure it yourself, you can get a tiny amount to try something first. It's a great budget saver.

http://www.bulkbarnfoods.com/ver_html.htm

I did a bit of a google search and came up with this blog referencing a bulk style merchant called Harvest Co-op in the Boston area. Hopefully this will give you a start, if you are interested.

http://bostonlocalvores.org/blog/?p=27
    http://harvestcoop.com/shop/index.html
  • MPhillips
    MPhillips Posts: 3
    I am jealous! I only get 1200 calories a day.... :}
    I do understand what you are saying, though.
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    I agree with the suggestion of buying things in bulk. Also try mixing other protein rich powders in with shakes, cereal etc. Like powdered peanut butter and flax seeds. If I was you I would eat a lot of fiber/nut rich carbs like making bran/nut muffins, or breakfast cookies, maybe some homemade granola bars. Actually if it was me and I had that many calories I would just eat a tub of ice cream and some A&W lol. :bigsmile: Oh and also eggs, I can't get enough of them and it is so easy and cheap to make a huge scramble or omelet and it keeps your protein levels up!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Have you tried other meats like venison. I know people who would love to give it away but I live in the country and where our back yard full of meat.:happy:

Have you tried beans paired with lean meats as protein source?
This discussion has been closed.