Pasta, Not Bacon, Makes You Fat. But How?

Options

Replies

• MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I give props to any person that can actually eat a moderate amount of pasta without starving 2 hours later.

Props accepted, thank you!
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Interesting!
  • jnance82
    jnance82 Posts: 149
    Options
    I'll read it tonight over my chicken parmesan dinner.

Best of luck to all you low-carbers. It's not for me. Luckily counting calories has worked well.

I have pasta twice a week or more. :wink:

Yeah I'm a carb addict and actually feel sick if I don't have them. Low carb diets aren't for me. I just watch my caloric intake instead.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]10502719.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • biscuit71
    biscuit71 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation and daily exercise. Give multi-grain or wheat pasta a try. It takes getting used to but it's not bad. It satisfies my pasta cravings. :)
  • jodyblanchard
    jodyblanchard Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Carbs are my sworn enemy. I cannot have above 50 a day or losing comes to a halt.
  • 73tanya
    Options
    Not sure how it works but it worked for me to take off 130 plus pounds that way! I know us low carbers get a bad rap but bear in mind I'm a post VSG patient who did this with a doctors guidance. I know for myself personally that my body loves to turn carbs into fat. I certainly had the 15 lb weight gain over the holidays to prove it when I went off my low carb diet. I'm back on it now and back to losing again, much slower then I was first out from surgery but still headed back in the right directions. I think for me when I eat low carb I consume fewer calories. I still have carbs from time to time just not a lifestyle for me anymore. I was a bread and pasta lover now its simply not an everyday thing. And sometimes I have total break downs when I'm out partying with friends and it all goes to hell, hey I'm human! Hopefully with the added exercise and being back to the low carbs I can shed this last 75 lbs of fat that needs to go. I can't say that I understand how it works and I'd love too because the fact is if I ate high carbs my weight would not move at all on the scale, personal history tells me that. Our bodies are not all programmed the same. I grew up in a house with a brother who had 4% body fat and ate ten times more than I did on any given day and had to take weight gainer just to maintain for wrestling. Just the way life is, we are all unique.
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'll read it tonight over my chicken parmesan dinner.

Best of luck to all you low-carbers. It's not for me. Luckily counting calories has worked well.

I have pasta twice a week or more. :wink:

Im with you on this. I have cut down on my carbs and sugars but i cant live without pasta and bread. What kind of Italian would i be??????????:wink:
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    As an Irish girl it makes me sad to see people always saying to stop eating potatoes and sub something else. STOP THE MADNESS, PEOPLE!!! POTATOES ARE GOOD!!! :laugh:

This was brought to you by your local Irish Potato Lovin' Association.

The (mostly) Scottish girl agrees! Gotta love the spud. :heart:

But a baked potato with cheese and bacon is even BETTER!

I prefer my potatoes new and roasted (says the American Irish girl). Hold the cheese and bacon please. Bring on the parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.

On the carb issue- I have found the I do lose weight when I consume less grains and make sure that the ones I consume are whole grains-brown rice, whole grain pasta, and no bread. I did once go nine months on an almost grain-less high-vegetable diet. I lost 80 lbs. When I got pregnant I wasn't able to eat like that any longer (doc said No and I listened) and after the baby the weight came back. Note-after the baby, not while I was pregnant. Going back to low-grain has been very hard for me, so I just stick to whole grain instead. It's much easier, I get fewer headaches, and now I count my calories (then I didn't).
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if you're doing "low-carb" there's no reason to go without pasta. Just make it whole grain and have it as a side dish instead of the main dish.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Not sure how it works but it worked for me to take off 130 plus pounds that way! I know us low carbers get a bad rap but bear in mind I'm a post VSG patient who did this with a doctors guidance. I know for myself personally that my body loves to turn carbs into fat. I certainly had the 15 lb weight gain over the holidays to prove it when I went off my low carb diet. I'm back on it now and back to losing again, much slower then I was first out from surgery but still headed back in the right directions. I think for me when I eat low carb I consume fewer calories.

I think you confuse water weight gain with fat gain. The actual process of DNL in humans is kinda rare
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people make carbs out to be the enemy. Not all carbs will make you fat. I eat plenty of complex carbs, like whole grain, oatmeal, brown rice etc, and I've lost weight just fine. Just like fat is not the enemy. Just like there are good fats and bad fats, there are good carbs and bad carbs.
  • 73tanya
    Options
    Not sure how it works but it worked for me to take off 130 plus pounds that way! I know us low carbers get a bad rap but bear in mind I'm a post VSG patient who did this with a doctors guidance. I know for myself personally that my body loves to turn carbs into fat. I certainly had the 15 lb weight gain over the holidays to prove it when I went off my low carb diet. I'm back on it now and back to losing again, much slower then I was first out from surgery but still headed back in the right directions. I think for me when I eat low carb I consume fewer calories.

I think you confuse water weight gain with fat gain. The actual process of DNL in humans is kinda rare

DNL stands for what please?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people make carbs out to be the enemy. Not all carbs will make you fat. I eat plenty of complex carbs, like whole grain, oatmeal, brown rice etc, and I've lost weight just fine. Just like fat is not the enemy. Just like there are good fats and bad fats, there are good carbs and bad carbs.
    And 'bad' carbs make you fat? :huh:
  • texastango
    Options
    Bottom line is there are healthy alternatives to lots of foods - Not to plug any product in particular but for example Adkins makes a pasta that is 140 calories per half cup (instead of the typical 210), it's 18 grams of fiber PER HALF CUP compared to the 1 of regular pasta and 6 of 100 percent whole wheat, it's 11 grams of protein, and only 1 gram of sugar. Does it cost more, yes, about 2x to 3x more but it's a healthier pasta with respect to those numbers. If you have special health concerns and need to cut carbs (diabetes) then it might be for you.

If you're a body builder then the last thing these guys like to do is cut carbs. I know several friends (physicians) that are trying to get back to their weight lifting form and lose weight at the same time. They are on high protein, low fat, normal carb diets. They're WHEY SHAKING baby! I'm not a nutrition expert, but I know that our normal intake (normal kidney function) is about 0.8 - 1.0 grams of protein per kilogram weight (your weight in pounds divided by 2.2). Bodybuilders often shoot for 2.4 grams per kilogram.

For me a normal protein intake set by MFP is about 80 grams. I'm 72 kilos at the moment. If I tried to take in 2.4 grams per kilo that would be 175 grams of protein a day. The whey shakes give a high protein boost without adding a ton of calories. Protein and whey also have reported appetite surpressant hormones. Problem is that we see young bodybuilders from time to time in the office who are spilling protein into their urine (possible kidney injury). Sometimes it's reversible, sometimes not. So be careful!

When you diet you burn fat and muscle. Hydrating well helps flush this through your system. The key is to find ways to not loose the muscle while you loose the fat. I'm learning as I go and have lots to learn. Just passing on what I've learned so far.

(Not meant to be medical advice)

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about the caloric value in pasta and bread that kicks my butt. Portion wise, I can eat larger servings without reaching satiety with pasta than nearly any other food out there. When I eat those large portions of pasta, the meals tend to be three to four times what I would have eaten with other types of food because the calories in pasta tend to be larger. Of course, this is just the way that it seems to me, not scientific data.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    From the graphic accompanying the article:

1. You think about carbs

2. You begin secretign insulin

3. Insulin tells your body to store fatty acids and keeps you from burning it as energy.

By this logic, we render ourselves unable to lose weight by just THINKING about carbs (and gain when we actually eat them). Really? This passes for science nowdays?
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I personally watch my carb intake. I know people always say "it doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you have a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight". However, I have personally noticed that if consume fast carbohydrates or even slow carbs in "excess" (meaning meals in a row or days in a row vs over my calorie allowance), my weight loss slows.

Why? My body has trouble producing insulin to break down sugars and carbs into energy. Due to the condition PCOS, I have a low insulin production, and I experience symptoms similar to those with insulin resistance (eg Diabetics). Therefore most carbohydrates I consume are never given the opportunity to be changed into sustainable energy and convert into fat more often. So essentially, my fat storage has become a dumping ground. I also have to work a lot harder than the average person to feel enough energy to exercise a full 30-60 minutes because of the necessary reduction in carbs, the body's prefered energy source.

I've always been temped to say something on these low carb threads b/c people always say "less cals. period.", but thats not ALWAYS true. Granted, I have a condition to which these rules do not apply, but I know a lot of women with insulin related conditions.

What is my "scienticfic research"? Being me for 25 years. I know what works for ME and MY body. I know that thousands of other women struggle with the same condition and the answer is always the same, lower carbs....

if it helps me sound more "legit", I do have a Lab tech degree...

nahhhh that doesn't help.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Richdogg38
    Options
    I like this one:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html

Calorie surplus makes you fat.
    Excellent article! Funny and fact filled read too! Thanks!
  • judykritikos
    Options
    I think it's more common sense eating - DON'T eat junk foods. DO eat vege's, fruits and a little bit of everything else. If you're eating a balanced meal, and it includes some carbs - then it's still the calories that count. Sometimes when I've done my 1-hour Zumba class 4 nights in a row - I'd KILL for spaghetti, so the body must know what it wants.
    That being said - I really wonder if we ate 1500 calories of veges, or 1500 calories of pasta a day - if the calories would react differently in our bodies? Surely 1500 cals of JUST carbs can't be the same as 1500 cals of veges.
    What do you think?