MORE VEGGIES! How can I get more?

Options
ErinBeth7
ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
I think a staple to a good diet are vegetables. I only like certain veggies like corn, peas, green beans, potatoes, and carrots. I am getting very tired of green beans and overall my appetite never wants veggies!!! I'm really not eating potatoes right now because of the carb & starch content. I do eat lots of salad, but I feel it doesn't have much nutritional content (although very low in cals). I'll also eat raw broccoli. I know V8 is good for your veggie intake, but I don't like the taste! I know I'm kind of a veggie snot!

Do you have any suggestions of easy ways for me to get more veggies? I'd like 3-4 servings a day, at the least. What do you think about beans? Good/Bad for weight loss?

Replies

• katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Why dont you make quinoa? Chop up all those veggies (lots) and mix them in with cooked quinoa, add an egg, and some bread crumbs, and either lightly pan fry them or bake them in the oven
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Most of the veggies you list are really starchy. Buy veggies that are on sale and try eating them in new ways. I really like eggplant sliced thin and baked in the oven. Spinach goes well with everything - both cooked (you can add it to rice or pasta or an omelet) and raw in salads. I also find if I chop up the vegetables in extremely small pieces, I can't tell which one it is and I eat more vegetables.

Try the V8 fruit juices if you really need to up your veggie intake, but try eating actual veggies first.
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Wholly Salsa is a good option. 2 T of it is only 10 calories. I usually have 2-3 T and it is rich in veggies!
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I agree on trying to make the veggies differently. Get new veggies and retry some old you may not think you like. I love asparagus now, but didn't eat it for like a decade as I swore I hated them.

When choosing, get a bunch of different colors. Usually the colors signify different nutriants.
  • lori4013
    lori4013 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Put raw spinach in salad. You cant even taste it but it's good for you. We like to put garlic and a little butter on asparagus and grill it on the pit wrapped in aluminum foil. Grilled zucchini is great too.
  • ErinBeth7
    Options
    Most of the veggies you list are really starchy. Buy veggies that are on sale and try eating them in new ways. I really like eggplant sliced thin and baked in the oven. Spinach goes well with everything - both cooked (you can add it to rice or pasta or an omelet) and raw in salads. I also find if I chop up the vegetables in extremely small pieces, I can't tell which one it is and I eat more vegetables.

Try the V8 fruit juices if you really need to up your veggie intake, but try eating actual veggies first.

I do like spinach. I forgot to add that. Chopping up the veggies is a good idea! I'm the the kind of person who won't eat the veggies if its a huge chunk. haha. thanks for the idea.
  • dizsolvedgirl
    dizsolvedgirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try using cucumber rounds as a substitute for crackers!

I'll make up some tuna salad (add lots of finely chopped celery) with fat free mayo and a dash of dill and put a dollop on just just like a cracker!

adding spinach and chopped peppers to spaghetti sauce
    or when I make something a little rich like butter chicken I'll make up some steamed broccoli and stir it in....it's pretty tasty!
  • ErinBeth7
    Options
    Why dont you make quinoa? Chop up all those veggies (lots) and mix them in with cooked quinoa, add an egg, and some bread crumbs, and either lightly pan fry them or bake them in the oven

I've read about quinoa! I will have to try this.
  • loriamcq
    Options
    Change the way you cook them. Green beans are pretty boring, but stir fry in non-stick spray and add garlic and a splash of teryaki sauce and a sprinkle of parmesian cheese and you have a whole new veggie. Try mashed cauliflower or baked sweet potato. Just dont be afraid to change things up or to try new things. What's the worst that could happen, if you dont like it your husband (or friends) probably will. :)
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Add raw veggies to your salads - broccoli, broccoli slaw, cauliflower, peppers, onions etc.

Roast them instead of steaming - put them on a pan with some EVOO/salt/pepper and throw in the oven (lots of recipes floating around the web for this right now) - broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, asparagus. If you need more flavor, add a table spoon of Parmesan cheese.

If you are making soup, add a bag of frozen veggies.

Make stir-fry. Add veggies to you scrambled eggs/omelets. Add peppers, onions and mushrooms to any meat you brown.

Lots of options!
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    raw colored peppers in slices, or halved stuffed with tuna. cucumbers are good too
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    Then increase your food base. If you can eat raw broccoli, most other veggies are easy.
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat salad greens with brown rice frequently. Although I love vegetables and greens and don't need any "convincing," eating vegetables like spinach, lettuce, etc. with some brown rice or stir frying some kale with some quinoa might help. You should also try a green smoothie! Add a base of banana, some almond, soy or regular milk (or water), spinach or kale (a couple cups) some frozen berries or any other frozen fruit you like -voila! If you add berries you can't even tell it is green. They are great.
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Why not try making a stew? Chop up carrots, celery, spinach, peppers, onion, tomatoes, a bit of beef and let it simmer. It's a good way to get your veggies.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    make a veggie soup! its how i got alot of my veggies in. any veggie in a soup works too!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    An easy way is to make a spinach smoothie. Add your usual smoothie ingredients (milk or milk-like fluid of your choice, yogurt, protein powder, whatever), then 1.5 to 2 c. raw spinach, and at least 1/2 a banana to cut the spinach taste. This is great with the addition of other fruits, especially berries, too. The resulting shake is a festive green color, but the banana cancels out the spinach taste.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    There are more vegetables out there for you to try yet I'm sure.
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    You can shred zucchini very finely and add it to hamburger meat! My family never knew the difference.

Spinach and cucumbers are delicious in smoothies! My son loves them!
  • Marebare74
    Options
    Dip them in hummus, or even some hidden valley ranch dip. Thin sliced cucumber or zucchini, or some colorful bell peppers!
  • xxxbloodfartxxx
    xxxbloodfartxxx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How about pealed and chopped cucumber with pealed and chopped avacodo with a little redwine vinegar and salt and pepper toss and makes a great snack.