Kale anyone?

Options

Replies

• garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love kale! I agree, you can use it any time you would otherwise use spinach (awesome! since I'm allergic to spinach) and it's quite tasty. Great in soup!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I just made Kale Chips for the first time. They are great!!
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried yet, but after these ideas it's on my list!
  • LoriInIowa
    Options
    We raised Kale this last summer.....SO yummy! And a hardy plant for a new gardener!
  • orangesumr
    orangesumr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i've also made Kale roll ups. You use Kale instead of cabbage or lettuce if you want it to be cold. And then use brown rice or black beans and some veggies and alittle herbs and then you're done.

I might have to make the Kale chips...they sound good and they might satisfy my chip cravings!!!
  • steffanyjames
    steffanyjames Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are my new favorite! So easy to make..spritz with olive oil and bake...so good!

I second this!

They are absolutely addictive. I toss with sesame oil, red wine vinegar and a bit of sea salt. YOU MUST WATCH them when you bake them, because they will burn really easily. Bake just until crispy then pull èm out. SO good and guaranteed you`ll finish the whole batch in one sitting. They are that good! Enjoy!
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options

Thanks for the link!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Quick, easy recipe for a salad made with Tuscan Kale ( = dinosaur kale = lacinato kale = black kale = cavalo nero)

from the NY Times website
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/24/dining/241arex.html

*RAW TUSCAN KALE SALAD WITH PECORINO*
    Time: 20 minutes

1 bunch Tuscan kale (also known as black or lacinato kale)
    1 thin slice country bread (part whole-wheat or rye is nice), or 1/4 cup homemade bread crumbs (coarse)
    1/2 garlic clove, finely chopped
    1/4 cup finely grated pecorino cheese, more for garnish
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, more for garnish
    Freshly squeezed juice of 1 lemon
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    Freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

1. Trim bottom 2 inches off kale stems and discard. Slice kale, including ribs, into 3/4-inch-wide ribbons. You should have 4 to 5 cups. Place kale in a large bowl.

2. If using bread, toast it until golden on both sides. Tear it into small pieces and grind in a food processor until mixture forms coarse crumbs.

3. Using a mortar and pestle, or with the back of a knife, pound garlic into a paste. Transfer garlic to a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup cheese, 3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper flakes and black pepper, and whisk to combine. Pour dressing over kale and toss very well to thoroughly combine (dressing will be thick and need lots of tossing to coat leaves).

4. Let salad sit for 5 minutes, then serve topped with bread crumbs, additional cheese and a drizzle of oil.

Yield: 2 to 4 servings.

- - - -
    Best thing about this salad is that the kale is so hearty that if you have any leftovers, the kale does not get all 'wilty' like lettuce does.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    LOVE kale, and it is one of the best veggies you can eat for cancer prevention. High in antioxidents. I love to just steam it, it doesn't get all soggy like spinach. Then I put a little bit of raspberry vinagrette on it. I like my veggiest fresh and simple.

but I will have to try a couple of these ideas. Great thread, thanks.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    My first time having it was a disaster... Hoping it's better the next time around :)
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I chop it up and put it in my omlette in the morning.
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are my new favorite! So easy to make..spritz with olive oil and bake...so good!

I love Kale Chips...You can also make Kale lasagna
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Definitely fresh kale

I enjoy it in my morning green smoothies almost daily!

Kale chips are a fun and healthy snack you can make too.

Finally, add sliced kale to mashed "new potatoes" or any other creamy potato with some greek yogurt and spices for a tasty side dish. Or you can saute leaves of kale (until slightly wilted) in smart balance with minced garlic, fresh squeezed lemon juice, black pepper and serve as a side with fish or meat of your choice.

Allrecipes.com has many fantastic kale recipes! Experiment and enjoy!
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    sounds good... bump
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    I use it fresh and have it with roasted potato cubes, Quorn 'bacon' and rosemary and garlic - so tasty!
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bumping to make sure I try all of the above - thanks everyone for posting!!! :)
  • sweetendeavor
    sweetendeavor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    thanks for this post! i've been scared to try it but after seeing these recipes I'm ready!
  • snobuni08
    snobuni08 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I AGREE!!! I can't get enough! We also throw some spices on ours. Sometimes a little salt & pepper, or adoboe, or bbq rub. They are great!
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I grow my own kale and freeze it so I have it year-round.
    Kale chips (with shredded cheese on top) and garlic powder are really good.
    Most of the time I steam it (for 5 minutes) with some broccoli, then add a dash of fresh lemon juice and some unheated olive oil. VERY nutritious!
    I also add kale into pasta sauce and vegetable soups.
    It's very easy to cook with and even easier to grow. My plants produce even in the heat of the summer and I can still harvest them after snow fall.