At what time do you eat your last meal?

Options

Replies

• myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry regardless of time.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I was just at a nutrition seminar saturday, and my personal trainer told us that it really doesnt matter when you have your last meal. What does matter however, is what you choose to eat. Typically as the day moves on, you are supposed to decrease the amount of carbohydrates you eat, as you will not need the energy from carbs through the night. You should be eating healthy fats and lean proteins at night. And you can eat them as late as you like!!!

Broscience.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    True. In Europe they eat the same number of cals as Americans per day (particularly in the UK). Oddly enough we have twice the amt of obesity and this is because we eat a lot of processed food and things that come in bags and boxes. They also eat later than us in Europe. Think on this for a minute: same calories per day and less obese? Why is that?
    Let's not assume things here. If ANYONE eats in surplus (more than they burn) they will gain weight regardless if the food is fresh, natural, processed, etc.
    I KNOW for a fact that many Europeans eat less calories (they have small plates there) and EXERCISE (walking being the main exercise) more than the average American.
    You can't get obese without excessive calories even if the food was processed.

While I respect your opinion on this I'm only stating the FACTS as they were presented on NPR. On average in the UK (for example) they eat the same calories per day as the average AMERICAN. However, we are twice as obese. They may walk more and all but this was talking about the fact that they ON AVERAGE cook more meals at home and we eat processed crap. My statement is backed by FACT and research.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat after 6:00pm and I seem to have success with that, but I might push it back to 7:00pm so I can get a nice workout in before my last meal just to trick my body.

What time do you stop eating and why?

I stop eating when I go to bed because there's no reason for me to stop earlier. It would just make this unnecessarily harder for me and I don't see the point when there's no physiological bonus to doing it.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    6:30-7
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat after 6:00pm and I seem to have success with that, but I might push it back to 7:00pm so I can get a nice workout in before my last meal just to trick my body.

I stop eating when I go to bed because there's no reason for me to stop earlier. It would just make this unnecessarily harder for me and I don't see the point when there's no physiological bonus to doing it.

So you eat until you go to bed?
  • wvbuckeye
    Options
    Protein shake before I goto bed. Ive always been told it keeps the metabolism moving.
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Dinner at 6:30pm, workout at 9, snack/dessert or shake at 10, sleep at 11-11:30.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I get home from work about 4 and am usually pretty hungry because I only eat about 200-400 calories for breakfast/lunch combined...Because of that I usually make dinner pretty quick after I get home (eating around 5-5:30)...I get munchy in the PM (7-8) and that's when I usually have a snack...something under 150 calories like a granola bar or something sugary if that's what I'm craving...
  • maidentl
    Options

So you eat until you go to bed?

Well, not non-stop LOL. But yeah, if I am hungry at 10:30, I will have a little nosh before I hit the hay.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese w/ Thai garlic chili paste right before bed (Casein protein) or a Casein protein shake.. gotta feed the muscles while they're growing !!!
  • mtracy11
    Options
    It DOES matter what time you stop eating...if you stay within your calories but you're eating too many too close to bedtime, you won't lose weight as efficiently. I try to stop eating after 6:00. sometimes I'll eat one small tablespoon of peanut butter around 8 if I get hungry. Protein begins metabolizing quicker than carbs, so its past the point of turning to fat by the time I go to bed.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    True. In Europe they eat the same number of cals as Americans per day (particularly in the UK). Oddly enough we have twice the amt of obesity and this is because we eat a lot of processed food and things that come in bags and boxes. They also eat later than us in Europe. Think on this for a minute: same calories per day and less obese? Why is that?
    Let's not assume things here. If ANYONE eats in surplus (more than they burn) they will gain weight regardless if the food is fresh, natural, processed, etc.
    I KNOW for a fact that many Europeans eat less calories (they have small plates there) and EXERCISE (walking being the main exercise) more than the average American.
    You can't get obese without excessive calories even if the food was processed.

While I respect your opinion on this I'm only stating the FACTS as they were presented on NPR. On average in the UK (for example) they eat the same calories per day as the average AMERICAN. However, we are twice as obese. They may walk more and all but this was talking about the fact that they ON AVERAGE cook more meals at home and we eat processed crap. My statement is backed by FACT and research.

Just because it's on NPR, doesn't make it 100% correct. It also doesn't automatically mean it was properly researched. Did you miss the earlier post showing that difference is only 4%, and not double as you claim? The trick is to do your own research to confirm things you hear, not to just believe everything at face value. Everyone makes mistakes, and not everyone is clear when they speak. Also, many people tend to have agendas that bias themselves one direction or another, it's human nature to exaggerate.
  • maidentl
    Options
    It DOES matter what time you stop eating...if you stay within your calories but you're eating too many too close to bedtime, you won't lose weight as efficiently. I try to stop eating after 6:00. sometimes I'll eat one small tablespoon of peanut butter around 8 if I get hungry. Protein begins metabolizing quicker than carbs, so its past the point of turning to fat by the time I go to bed.

Do you have anything to back this up? I am fairly certain it's all been debunked.
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I like to eat between 6 and 7 so that my meal can digest a little bit before getting in the bed. Then I usually go to bed around 8-10 depending. I find that I am actually MORE hungary in the morning after eating late or right before bed than I am if I eat a couple hours before bed. I don't know why this is, but its just something I picked up on a few months back. If Im feeling hungary before bed I drink a full glass of water and wait a few minutes. Sometimes that helps. If it doesn't I have about 4 oz of fat free milk. I don't like going to bed with a full stomache.
  • Jade_Twin
    Options
    i usually hope to not eat after 7pm as i then go to bed at 11pm, but most of the time it never works. :(
  • daniivdean
    daniivdean Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat my last meal at 4.30pm
  • jeffrey2584
    jeffrey2584 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    2-3 hours before bed....
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I eat my last meal by 6pm sometimes I have a light snack between 6:30-7pm
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Poppycock!! I always eat a big dinner (usually half my daily calories) around 9:00 p.m. and I lost 20+ lbs in less than 5 months to meet my goal. Seeing as I didn't have a huge amount to lose, approximately 1 lb per week seems pretty efficient.