No weight loss, please help, new to the forum

Options
2»

Replies

• mamatonine
    Options
    I am having a hard time losing too, and I think it is because I am following a fad diet (slim fast type thing). I am going to try to balance things out more, eat more of a variety and plenty of protein and good fats. It would be hard for me to exercise with no protein, I run out of energy when my blood sugar goes up and down too much and fruit does that to me if I eat a lot of it. I hope you get some good help here, I will be taking notes for myself too!
  • bodyjammin85
    bodyjammin85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, eat more food but less fruit!

Eating lots of fruit can be a negative thing, especially the high sugar ones like bananas and grapes. I am a weightwatchers patron and fruit is also zero points but it's not to replace meals, just to curb cravings and as a healthier alternative to chocolate. Choose low GI carbs (wholewheat rice/pasta/sweet potatoes etc.), lean proteins (skinless chicken breast, turkey breast, tuna, protein shakes) and healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, flaxseed oil etc.). Have lots of small meals a day, and as you are a busy person try to make, prepare or cook as much in advance as you can.

As for ratios (40/30/30) this is just a way to keep check on the content of the food you eat, not just calories. Of your daily calorific intake, 40% of your calories would be carbs, 30% would be protein and 30% would be fat.

I'm looking to lose 3 stone and i'm 5ft 3in, i use a ratio of 40/40/20 and a net intake of calories of 1200. I eat 6 times a day and sometimes i struggle to eat enough if i don't keep organised.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Sometimes stress slows weight loss and it seems you have a lot on your plate. Try and switch up your exercise routine as well. I would suggest buying Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred video and get the kit too! That way you have the video, the mat, and a set of 3lb dumbells. With the video I lost weight and maintained it. Good luck to you!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I honestly think you need to be eating more. I would set you goals to 1 or 1.5lbs per week and MFP should give you more calories to eat each day. Also, be sure to log your exercise calories burned because you should be eating those calories back to NET at least 1200 calories each day. :smile: Be sure to drink at leat 8 cups of water per day. Other than that, just give it time. :smile:
    ^^^^^
    THIS
    Your body is an amazing machine, it adapts to all types of situations......even starvation......when you don't eat enough calories your body thinks that it is starving.....to adapt to this situation your body will hold on and store more fat.......If your weight jumps up and down rapidly that's probably a sign of a slowed metabolism......fixing the problem is a challenge but it can be fixed........First do the opposite of starving yourself.....eat!! This let's your body know that it's not starving and it won't hold on to fat.....you must eat regularly......from day to day and a couple of hours in between meals........this will put the process in reverse
  • gawj1512
    Options
    I noticed you haven't logged your exercise. Remember that you need to eat more if you are exercising a lot. :)

I am logging what I do, which isn't much as I don't get the time. I walk 2 miles at a rate of 4MPH roughly 3-4 times a week.
  • gawj1512
    Options
    Really surprised at the lack of responses, when similar posts have so many more responses, I am guessing people are just stumped and cannot find a reason for my lack of weight loss.
    We get weary of saying the same thing.
    You're engaging in total self sabotage.
    Are you exercising? And why are you eating so little?
    You are going to fail with this approach.
    Starvation diets don't work.
    Why?
    Because if your calorie deficit is too great you can easily suffer from
    loss of muscle mass (slows down your metabolism) and impaired general progress.
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems
    either with loss of muscle, loss of energy, less weight loss/plateaus, etc.

Stick with the MFP recommendations.
    Getting healthy and fit is actually very simple but it's just hard work.

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.

AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!

I have changed my settings to 1lb a week now.

I set it at 2lb a week thinking that ok and I was just following what myfitnesspal told me to do, which was stick to 1200 cals a day. I don't really think I can afford to buy any more food than what I buy/eat, so not sure how to get up to 1600 cals a day on fruit and meat etc. I already ran out of fruit and it's only Tuesday, I did my weekly shop on Sunday, whoops! Need to grow some stuff I guess!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that weight loss is not as straight forward and dramatic as it is on the Biggest Loser. Seven pounds in ten days is HUGE. Even if you don't drop another pound in the next two weeks, that's still an average of about two pounds a week, which is also a big drop.

There will be weeks you'll lose, and weeks you don't. Give it time.

Also, if you're breast feeding, be sure to allow yourself extra calories to compensate. Do a search for breast feeding in the food diary (yeah, odd place to have it!)

And remember that losing weight isn't supposed to feel like punishment. Not every bite of food that goes into your mouth has to be lean meat, fruit or veggies. You can still have pasta or bread or rice. If money is a concern (and when isn't it?!) stock up on frozen vegetables in bags. A typical meal for me is chicken breast (I only buy when it's on sale for $1.99 a pound) some some kind of sauce or marinade, with a bit of pasta or rice, and a big pile of frozen veggies that go with the marinade. IE, "Italian Blend" veg with a lemon-garlic marinade, bow tie pasta, chicken and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Or... "Oriental Stir Fry Blend" veg with Teriyaki marinade, brown rice, and chicken. I chop up the chicken and saute it with the veggies, and only dirty two pots/pans. Inexpensive, healthy and delicious. :smile:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Really surprised at the lack of responses, when similar posts have so many more responses, I am guessing people are just stumped and cannot find a reason for my lack of weight loss.
    We get weary of saying the same thing.
    You're engaging in total self sabotage.
    Are you exercising? And why are you eating so little?
    You are going to fail with this approach.
    Starvation diets don't work.
    Why?
    Because if your calorie deficit is too great you can easily suffer from
    loss of muscle mass (slows down your metabolism) and impaired general progress.
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems
    either with loss of muscle, loss of energy, less weight loss/plateaus, etc.

Stick with the MFP recommendations.
    Getting healthy and fit is actually very simple but it's just hard work.

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.

AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!

I have changed my settings to 1lb a week now.

I set it at 2lb a week thinking that ok and I was just following what myfitnesspal told me to do, which was stick to 1200 cals a day. I don't really think I can afford to buy any more food than what I buy/eat, so not sure how to get up to 1600 cals a day on fruit and meat etc. I already ran out of fruit and it's only Tuesday, I did my weekly shop on Sunday, whoops! Need to grow some stuff I guess!
    I seriously doubt a few hundred more calories will break the bank.
    Just think of how wonderful you are going to look in time.
    You can do this, and things are going to change for you.

Again, good luck!
  • Manda_H
    Options
    fill up on veggies, not the fruit. Fruit is higher in carbs. If you are breastfeeding you must allot for it. You must eat... eat more. When my baby was young and I was nursing him I never dropped below 1600 in consuming or t would affect my milk. I lost weight even at 1800 cals a day. My struggle now is that i dont eat enough either as I am breastfeeding a toddler and he takes a lot from me... (i feel like all i do is eat!) but I will gain weight if i try lowering my cals cause my body starts going into starvation mode. Good luck! i know it sounds backwards but you gotta eat if you want to lose
  • gawj1512
    Options
    I'm not breastfeeding, just so you know, but do have a very stressful demanding little princess that stops me from eating most times as she takes up a lot of my day.

Lucky for me, I love veggies, I don't really like meat though. Fish is ok I guess. I LOVE pasta, I could eat that every day! Is it just regular white pasta, or does it have to be wholewheat pasta?
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    when you realize that - I don't hav enough time - is just an excuse, then yr life will change! I know being a mum is demanding, I know how hard it is to exercise with them but you can do it. include them in yr exercise. try eating more vegies and more protien, this will fill you up for longer. yes I think white pasta, rice, bread and flour should be a treat in yr house. it's way better for your kids to. teach them by example - show them how to exercise and enjoy it, show them hue to eat healthy, you will all benefit. just so you know, I run a very busy business from home, my youngest is 2 and my oldest child is 12, 3 in between and my dear hubby is only home when it rains - not often. time and persistence, you can do it :)
  • mirandamouse
    Options
    Poggers,

Could you explain why protein shake is needed. Apologies if I have missed this as I haven't read all through it. The OP uses walking as her excercise so I can't see a reason why a shake would be necessary as well as eating protien rich foods?
  • gawj1512
    Options

Eating lots of fruit can be a negative thing, especially the high sugar ones like bananas and grapes. I am a weightwatchers patron and fruit is also zero points but it's not to replace meals, just to curb cravings and as a healthier alternative to chocolate. Choose low GI carbs (wholewheat rice/pasta/sweet potatoes etc.), lean proteins (skinless chicken breast, turkey breast, tuna, protein shakes) and healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, flaxseed oil etc.). Have lots of small meals a day, and as you are a busy person try to make, prepare or cook as much in advance as you can.

As for ratios (40/30/30) this is just a way to keep check on the content of the food you eat, not just calories. Of your daily calorific intake, 40% of your calories would be carbs, 30% would be protein and 30% would be fat.

I'm looking to lose 3 stone and i'm 5ft 3in, i use a ratio of 40/40/20 and a net intake of calories of 1200. I eat 6 times a day and sometimes i struggle to eat enough if i don't keep organised.

Protein shakes?

What is NET intake please?
  • bodyjammin85
    bodyjammin85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Protein shakes?

What is NET intake please?

Protein shakes are a good way of keeping intake of cals and protein high but will take a minute or two to make and drink and also if you don't feel hungry but you need to eat more they don't feel like such a burden to consume compared to a sandwich or an omlette.

Your body needs a certain amount of calories just to function, called your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), even if you stayed in bed all day. Your calorie deficit is the amount of calories you eat under this number. MFP calculates a safe deficit to safely lose weight but keep your metabolism high (metabolism is the rate at which your body uses energy). Creating more of a deficit (eatng less) will mean your body will stop functioning properly and it will begin to store fat as your body is preparing to cope with this amount of calories. When you exercise, you are creating a further deficit as your body needs more energy to perform those extra moves. Net intake is the amount of calories you eat in total after taking away exercise calories. For example -

MFP calculated daily calorie allowance +1200 (this is the absolute lowest amount of calories you should eat to maintain a fast metabolism and a steady healthy rate of weight loss)
    Exercise calories burned -300 (you have burned these calories doing whatever exercise you like, even walking.)

So, 1200 minus 300 = 900 cals NET

900 cals isn't enough, you should be NETTING 1200 (or whatever MFP has stated is your healthy calorie intake)

So, if you eat those calories you burned during exercise then your NET calories will be at that safe level for weight loss. Try eating 300 cals more (if thats what you burn during your exercise)

1500 - 300 cals = 1200, the right amount for your body to function. In essence, the exercise you do cancels out the extra calories you eat, leaving the 1200 to be used by your body's important functions like breathing, thinking, pumping blood, creating insulin and any other organ that has a purpose in keeo you alive!

In case you think that there's no point in doing exercise, keeping active will tone muscle, burn more fat and get you healthy. It is also proven that weight loss is maintained in the long term by exercise and diet, not food alone.

Anorexics and bulemics have a common problem of their periods stopping, this is because their body has needed to shut down some parts so the more important parts can stay alive. Their bodies can't bear children with such malnutrition and their body doesn't allow it to happen. I hope this has cleared up this issue for you. I can assure you that you're not the only one in this situation. It seems like common sense to eat less and exercise more, but the human body is an amazing machine and needs fuel just like any performance car or aeroplane.