A lot of extra "exercise" calories left over... Should I eat

Options
I lost 40lbs last year, mostly using MFP and a bit of exercise. Now I'm going hardcore with both (At the gym everyday for about an hour). The thing is, I'm seeing a surplus of like 500-800 calories a day. Should I be eating some of those back since I'm exercising more? This isn't even counting the deficit built into MFP. What I'm thinking is that I should be eating a bit more than normal so my body doesn't go into hunger mode? Is there a problem with having too much deficit?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary for most people to have a really big deficit to lose weight - and only you will know if it's working for you.

Personally, when I exercise more, I eat more - partly because I enjoy eating, but also because I want to make sure that my body is getting enough energy to fuel all that exercise.

That's a pretty big number of calories to be adding to the deficit MFP has already given you - if it only happens occasionally, I wouldn't worry about it, but if that is every day then I tend to think that eating more is going to be better for your long term health.

Edited to add: lots of people say "listen to your body, only eat if you're hungry" - but "listening to my body" didn't work out very well for me. Eating what MFP recommends (including exercise cals) has been life-changing and body-changing for me.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    So... what is actually the total that you're eating, and what are you burning off? (in a typical day)
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Just my observation, but many times people overestimate exercise calories, so the "leftover" calories may not actually be as many as you think. Eat some if you're hungry, but if you're not don't worry about them.
  • mwood777
    mwood777 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with RubyBelle, that seems like a huge deficit, and I would consider what all you are taking in to begin with. Please be careful, we all want to be healthy and look/feel good, but sometimes without thinking we can make this weight game very unhealthy. If you are only taking in 1200 calories and then your deficit is 500-800 so you are really only intaking 400-800 calories a day this is not a good thing. Also make sure that you have a HRM( a good one) that will tell you exactly what you are burning (unless of course you already know this!). I'm done!
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    Up to you.
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary for most people to have a really big deficit to lose weight - and only you will know if it's working for you.

Personally, when I exercise more, I eat more - partly because I enjoy eating, but also because I want to make sure that my body is getting enough energy to fuel all that exercise.

That's a pretty big number of calories to be adding to the deficit MFP has already given you - if it only happens occasionally, I wouldn't worry about it, but if that is every day then I tend to think that eating more is going to be better for your long term health.

Edited to add: lots of people say "listen to your body, only eat if you're hungry" - but "listening to my body" didn't work out very well for me. Eating what MFP recommends (including exercise cals) has been life-changing and body-changing for me.

GREAT.. I think the same way
  • mfjutras
    mfjutras Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rubybelle, that's kind of what I've been leaning towards. :)

In a normal day MFP gives me ~1300 cal to eat. I eat about 1500 cal on a good workout day, less if I don't do anything. So I do eat a bit of my exercise calories back. I generally get like 500+ extra calories which would pump up my MFP limit to like ~1800 cal.

I'm leaning towards eating a bit more protein and things that will help keep me full during my workouts. I was just curious about the days that I have a huge deficit in calories. I read a comment somewhere on here that said something vague about having too big of a deficit. I was just curious if there was a physical reason behind it.

Meh :) I'll stick with eating well and getting a good workout.
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Should I eat all my calories?

Yes. MFP is already figuring a deficit for you to lose weight. This deficit is based on what you need to eat based on your everyday activity, not counting exercise. In the end, it's all about "net calories" (you can view yours under reports)

Example: you need to eat 2,000 calories to maintain your current weight (random number)
    MFP will tell you to eat 1,500 to lose one pound per week (500x7=3500=one pound loss).

Let's say you exercise, and burn 500 additional calories.
    UH-OH, now you are at a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. You need 2,000 calories to maintian, are already restricted to 1500, so now your net calories are a 1,000 a day. This is starvation central. Your body, which is very good at keeping you alive, will store and save calories. You WILL stop losing weight. You WILL want to throw your scale out the window.

Eat your exercise calories. At least eat most of them.
  • mfjutras
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM that I use for all my workouts so I think my workout calories are pretty good. I mean even a HRM isn't 100% bang on but more accurate than just the machines or whatnot. I'm pretty confident with the numbers.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    If you look up your BMR, you can use that number as your guide for a minimum number to have as your net calories after exercise.
  • mfjutras
    Options
    Ok, see that makes sense to me. I've been doing a lot of digging and reading about the deficits and calories and whatnot (I just got a fitbit a while back and it was fun to try and understand the adjustments and the extra calories it gave, etc...).

So, yeah you answered my question. I should be eating back exercise calories. I knew I heard something about if you workout too much and don't compensate for the calories burned the body doesn't actually lose the weight.

I'm not working out just for the weight loss. A friend an I joined the Y and we're having fun at some classes, it just ends up giving me too many extra calories to burn. I guess I should add a few extra snacks during the day. Thanks :)
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    if you keep your MFP at -500 you can sometimes go another -500 with exercise calories. but most of the time I would make sure and eat those exercise calories. Sometimes I do it after, sometimes I do it ahead of my exercises.

I have already lost 30-40 and I am just letting more come over slowly. so I try not to have a big deficit very often.
  • amythebaker
    Options
    I've got the same situation. The thing is, when you exercise, your metabolism speeds up. You'll find that when you work out more, you'll be hungrier more often (when I run in the morning, I'm gnawing on my arm by 10:30am). Make sure to have healthy snacks handy. The first week or so is pretty tough as you're getting used to that calorie level with that much activity. I keep my calories around 1200 and have a deficit of around 700-800 5 days a week. It's working out fine for me...about 2.5 lbs per week, which is my goal. I don't intend to keep that pace going, though. I'll be training for a 10K as of March, so I'll up my calories. It's all about balancing everything out, but make sure you give yourself a couple of recovery days...otherwise, you can hurt yourself.

14329716.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Should I eat all my calories?

Yes. MFP is already figuring a deficit for you to lose weight. This deficit is based on what you need to eat based on your everyday activity, not counting exercise. In the end, it's all about "net calories" (you can view yours under reports)

Example: you need to eat 2,000 calories to maintain your current weight (random number)
    MFP will tell you to eat 1,500 to lose one pound per week (500x7=3500=one pound loss).

Let's say you exercise, and burn 500 additional calories.
    UH-OH, now you are at a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. You need 2,000 calories to maintian, are already restricted to 1500, so now your net calories are a 1,000 a day. This is starvation central. Your body, which is very good at keeping you alive, will store and save calories. You WILL stop losing weight. You WILL want to throw your scale out the window.

Eat your exercise calories. At least eat most of them.

FYI this is NOT TRUE FOR EVERYONE. Depending on what you told MFP when you set up your account, it will adjust accordingly. The programmed deficit they gave me is NOT 1000 a day, which would constitute 2 pounds a week. They only programmed a deficit of .5 pounds a week. Why? Because I told them I intended 5 workouts of 80 minutes. Going around telling people this is just plain incorrect.

Also, it is VERY particular to the person as to whether you should eat back "all or most" of your exercise calories. For some, they put in workouts that burn 300 calories, so eating a CLIF Bar they'll be fine. For *me*, I burn an estimated no less than 1800 calories a day in exercise. Most days, my exercise creates a calories allowance of 5-6k. I do NOT eat that back, hell no!

You have to look at your *personal* situation and goals. Look at what MFP did for YOU. I have so much to lose that I just eat my calories as they would be sans workout (2660 for me) and maybe a little over if I put in a bunch of cardio. What people on here don't seem to understand is that just as starvation mode is a real thing (which, btw, is very unlikely to happen if you eat throughout the day in little chunks, because your body will always know food is available), eating excessive amounts of calories can give you acidic problems in your stomach and make you ill. I've been in both places.

So this is something to take personal. lol
    Sorry about the rant.
  • mfjutras
    Options
    What do you do to get THAT much of a calorie burn from your workouts? lol. I looked at your food dairy and noticed the 3200 cal from workouts. O_O
  • Quasita
    Options
    What do you do to get THAT much of a calorie burn from your workouts? lol. I looked at your food dairy and noticed the 3200 cal from workouts. O_O

Frankly, it's because I'm a huge person. I weigh over 400 pounds and I'm 6'1". The bigger the person, the more calories are burned to move said person.

I do constant long banks of cardio while I work on a mini-stationary bike. Today I put in 138 minutes, which generated the 3200+k calorie burn. I do realize this is possibly over-shooting (I don't have an HRM, but I monitor my heart rate at intervals to make sure I keep it up) It's a pretty regular thing for me to have a negative NET showing on here... Like right now, for example. I can't possibly think of ways I can fill more space without hurting myself... So I don't! I figure as I lose, my calorie goals will lower, and it'll be easier, but until then, I let the exercise burn go off my fat deposits, and I eat about 8 times a day to feed my BMR.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    For Quasita: MFP doesn't pay attention to your "intended" exercise when it sets out your calorie goal. If only changes things around when you have actually DONE the exercise and added it to your diary.

But, I agree that everyone is different and you have to experiment to see what works for you. I also think it depends on your current weight - if you are bigger then there seems to be more room to NOT eat those cals and to create a larger deficit - for people who are close to goal then a larger deficit doesn't always work out so well - but again, it's a personal thing.
    By the way, it sounds like you're doing really well!
  • Quasita
    Options
    All I'm saying is that I see people repeatedly put in that MFP will mark down 500 calories a day if you have a 1 pound a week goal. It's simply not true. By that logic, it would have dropped me 1000 a day because I put in 2 lbs a week. I eat the deficit of .5 pounds, and I'm still dropping over 5 pounds a week as far as I know.

I just think it's dangerous for people to go around blanketing the forums with the same regurgitated information, when they don't ask for specifics. I doubt many people even took the time to look that closely at their goals.

However, thank you! It's been a struggle because I actually ate less than my BMR before I started so I'm constantly having issues with diet, but I'm slowly working it out. Almost been at this stricter logging a month now.
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you are obese (ie a lot of weight left to lose), you are fine with bigger deficits. You will lose muscle along with the fat, but it is ok. Once you get a little closer to your goals, you will want to start eating back those exercise calories. You will also burn way less calories with each exercise the smaller you get.

Everyone can set their own pace, but the faster you lose weight, the more muscle you lose and the more issues such as lose skin you will have.

If you feel comfortable slowing down, try eating back half your exercise calories and watch how you feel.

When I first started MFP I would do 4+ hour bike rides where I was burning huge amounts of calories. I would go to bed with huge deficits. This was good for me at the time and I lost a lot of weight in the first 2 months or so.