I wish I was a runner.

Options
Try as I might, I just can't make myself get into it! All of you running gurus, do you have any tips on how to start out (slowly), and make it enjoyable? People talk about how fun, relaxing, etc. it is, and all I can think is, "I'd rather get a pap smear." Help me out, here!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Are there running groups in your area? Or learn to run programs? Many people find success doing it that way, but its not for everyone.

I don't really know what else to suggest. I hated it at first, but I had no choice. My career training had a physical requirement, so that meant run, or choose another career. I ended up loving it especially once the pressure was off.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way - have tried to like it, given up on it, then wished I loved it because it's something you can do just about anywhere. So just yesterday I started the Couch 2 5K running program. Supposed to ease you into it and have you running a 5k without stopping in two months. There are online programs and phone apps you can download to give you the info.

So I'm giving it a shot!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • grannynickel
    grannynickel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've used both the C25K program and Easy 5K with Jeff Galloway by lolo. I like them both and the Easy 5K has quite a few extras that are helpful. I love running and wish I were farther along in the process, but only having started last October I am still very much a novice and currently fighting a running related injury. I would suggest that if you use either of the running apps I mentioned, that you do it exactly the way it tells you to. Do not try to do more than it suggests because you will risk injury and wind up like me. Good luck and I hope you will do it.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    i hate it but do it anyways...i dont think I could ever learn to like it.
  • thinbride0004
    thinbride0004 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You could try a program. I did a modified version of the 'couch to 5K program'. Just do a google search and you can find free outlines of this program. And to be honest, it took a while for me to 'enjoy' running. I started doing it with a friend and it was something to look forward to because I got to be social but I did not enjoy actually running/jogging. Then I started enjoying how I felt AFTER the run, because I felt I accomplished something. It wasn't until I could run about 3 miles straight (about 6 months) before it became enjoyable to me. After that I was hooked!

I guess I'm saying start slow with a plan and stick with it even if it's not fun at first, your body will learn to crave it. Also good shoes are a MUST otherwise you will start hurting and that will not help you stick with it. :grumble:

Good luck!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I live in the middle of nowhere, no one to watch... I started running or jogging one telephone pole and walking two. Sometimes that is all I do for 2 miles, other times I walk one, run one. I didn't think I would enjoy it either. I started doing that so that I didn't have to increase my distance when I went out but increased my cals burned.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner by any means but I do a combo walk/jog and I see now what everyone is talking about it feeling so good. Once I get going the sweat just pours off me and the "high" is amazing but there is nothing fun about getting going. I still have no idea how people run 5-10 miles in a stretch, i'm dying after 4 miles of walk/jog
  • Runchick262
    Runchick262 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It can be a learned love. Finding a running group and the right mix on your ipod may help. Start off slow so it doesn't frustrate you. The Runner's High is quiet enjoyable once you figure out your groove. Try walking/running in a local 5k...that might help kick off the rush of the sport!! Best of luck to you!!
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Couch to 5K and I hate it and love it at the same time. Hate it because it is still hard, I can't catch my breath and my body isn't strong enough to run as much as I'd like. I love it because after the first few weeks (I had to repeat week 1 a couple of times) my breathing isn't as labored and my body is a little stronger and I am seeing each week is a little easier. A little better. I'm a little stronger. I go a little farther. I love seeing and feeling very obvious improvement.

Here's what I learned in the beginning that made it all easier - don't be ashamed of going slow. Ignore the other runners in the gym who are running at 5.0 and 7.0 and 9.0. Ignore them completely. Go slow in the beginning. I tried to start out doing 5.0 and I thought I was going to die and never wanted to run again. I came back to the treadmill about 2 weeks later and decided to turn it down, way down, to a light 4.2 jog. That was tough but didn't leave me feeling like I was having a heart attack. I've been gently increasing my speed by .1 increments so I'm always pushing a little harder. I'm not back up to that 5.0 yet, but going slow has meant I can build up at my body's pace. I hate it a LOT less now and like I said, sometimes, especially I finish a 25 minute run/walk of the program, I love it a LOT more.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I love running..... but I didn't in the beginning. Some days I hate going, but towards the middle of my run I realize how awesome it feels to actually be running. Nothing gives me confidence like being able to go run 5 miles.

In the beginning, try the run/walk method. Alternate walking for a minute, running for a minute. Slowly add to the running. You don't have to go from a non-runner to a runner in a short period of time.... That would suck and become discouraging. Do the alternating thing for as long as you want, even if you don't increase your running time for a couple of months! You HAVE to take your time with running or you will hate it.

Over time you will notice that it is not so much of a chore. It does become easier. Search the internet for training plans for beginners and tweak them to suit your ability and take as much time as you need in progressing. If the schedule has you increasing time/mileage weekly, then change it to every two weeks if you want. Pushing it too hard will cause you to hate it.

You can make it fun by changing your scenery.... go to a park or trail.
    You can also make it fun by involving others. Find a buddy or if you have kids, get them to ride their bikes or skate with you. Take you dog... (Just be mindful that dogs CAN and WILL run themselves until they die-seriously-if it's too hot and they dont get enough water)
    Find a running group that participates in charity runs. You'll find it very rewarding.

Just remember to keep telling yourself that you enjoy it. Don't keep repeating that you hate it. Pay attention to how awesome you feel when you are done with your run.... focus on that and not how hard it is. Be positive and you will find that it is enjoyable.
  • Bpothik13
    Bpothik13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I searched "beginning running" online and found suggestions from Runner's World magazine where they suggested starting running for a minute and walking for two...I tried it yesterday and it is a lot harder than I imagined, but I am hoping to keep it a habit since I am a little bored with walking and my usual routine.

Good luck!
  • lilfurson
    Options
    Try to get a friend to join you in your journey. I noticed that running with someone made the time spent feel so much shorter even if it wasn't. Running alone, especially on a treadmill, is extremely boring and if you don't have a specific goal in mind it won't be easy to maintain.

This year my goal has been to do 25 miles a week on the treadmill. I push myself to go faster so I can get it over quicker. I can't wait for Spring so I can run outside and enjoy a change in scenery.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Try as I might, I just can't make myself get into it! All of you running gurus, do you have any tips on how to start out (slowly), and make it enjoyable? People talk about how fun, relaxing, etc. it is, and all I can think is, "I'd rather get a pap smear." Help me out, here!

THIS WAS ME!! I started by doing other things, I loved the elliptical at the gym and rollerblading in the summer. I liked workout DVDs with Jillian Michaels or Shaun T but then one day I decided I wanted to run. I have a sidewalk and running shoes and time - otherwise it's free! I ran one mile. It was just long enough to keep my attention and the next day I did it again. Over the next few weeks I went a little further and a few months later I ran a 5k. I just kept going, sometimes taking walking breaks on longer runs. I'm now up to 8 miles and I still don't consider myself a runner. :laugh: The only advice I have is to relax. I actually listen to classical music and try to keep my mind calm so my breathing stays steady, otherwise I get worked up and want to quit but if I stay relaxed it's very pleasant. If you hate it you might just want to stick to other activities but of you want to try it just start small and don't be afraid to walk/jog intermittently.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    some people just don't like it....if you can't seem to like don't do it...
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I got tired of wishing and tried C25K on a whim in hopes of getting over a weight loss plateau and maybe trying to run a 5K at some point in, what was then, the future. That was September 2010...I have since run my first half marathon in December 2011 and will be running my first full marathon on 3/4/12.
    In short, I do recommend giving C25K a shot.
  • nurseloopy
    Options
    I have a few vital items that make me want to run :happy:
    1) garmin forerunner gps watch for accurate mileage
    2) iPod shuffle for cheesy tunes
    3) Hal higdon schedules for no nonsense training
    4) a race number on my sofa waiting for me to wear in my forthcoming race - nothing like fear to get you training!

Hope this helps!
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Running is SO BORING to me.
    Although I do admire the people who do it.

Cycling is definitely my thing, though. It's a great way to get in shape, and I (personally) find it more enjoyable than running.
  • kbendert
    kbendert Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used a couch-to-5K app called "Get Running," and it has helped me feel like a runner! I was that overweight girl in high school who couldn't even run a mile in gym class, and now I can run 30 minutes straight (at a slow 11 minute mile, but it is still progress!). In the beginning it was hard, not much fun, making me feel so out of shape. I had to really push myself to get through some weeks, but now running is something that I look forward to. Just looking back at the progress I've made and how much fitter I feel is all the motivation I need! Just keep at it and give it time, and I'm sure that you can learn to appreciate running! And if not, there are plenty of other exercises for you to try as well, so just find something that is fun for you.
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I, too, wish I could run and have tried and tried to get into it and keep failing.

I did, however, decide to give it another go today. I walked for 1.5k, then decided I would try to run half a k and then walk the 1.5k home again, just for a first stab at it. And I managed it OK. I ran 600m instead of 500 and I could probably have pushed it a bit further than that but decided to call a halt and try again another day to take it further. So, better than I thought, but still, pretty poor.

Feel free to add me if you're going to try to get into running and want to vent about how hard it is to someone.
  • LilySzalay
    LilySzalay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One step at a time. You don't have to "run" to get out there. Speedy walking will do. If you can find a group as you begin that might make you feel more like you must get out to do it. I have gone with a group, but found that most were either way to fast for me or way to slow to benefit my ability at any given time. I did find a wonderful, supportive online training group and that has given me such support and accountability I have learned to enjoy.

Hope you can find the fun. Don't go too much too fast so you avoid injury and try to look for anything to smile about along the way.