Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options

Replies

• Rayseyu
    Options
    when i lost 97 pounds pre pregnancy i ate regular foods even went out to eat.
    (tacobell, sonic, subway ect...} i just remembered to drink plenty of water and excercise regularly.
    and not to mention Log in EVERYTHING i consumed..
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    As much as I love pizza, my definition of normal food isn't fast food and junk. It's just getting regular, non-diet, food. When I want ice cream, I have a normal portion of ice cream (or an ice cream sandwich), not Skinny Cow. I have milk, not almond milk. I make sandwiches on whole grain bread, but not the 35 calories a slice kind. When I have a cheeseburger, it's ground beef, not turkey because turkey is way too dry, although it's ok for meatballs. I tried soyburgers... they tasted like McDonalds to me, and McDonalds is "emergency food" to me, not a satisfying meal.

I do like bagels, nachos, potato chips, and and garlic bread. And regular jive old white pasta, because I can't see enough of a difference in the macros to bother with the whole grain type. I have plenty of lean meat and veggies, too, and including the foods I enjoy hasn't had any negative effect on my progress, so I see no need to remove them. Plus, I'd have a hell of a time reaching my calories and macros without the breads and pastas I love so much.

I love this mentality!
  • vellacraptor
    Options
    I agree to some point, though you should eat healthier in general.
    Yes you can have junk and what-have-you, but is it good for you? No.

Are you losing weight with smaller portions? Yes.

Are you being healthier? No, probably not.

Weight loss =/= healthy. There are tons of sickly average/underweight people because they eat like crap. What you should do is have a balance. Yes you can have a small treat, but if you go workout at least have a nice lunch, don't just go to taco bell or something. If you really crave it, get something small off the dollar menu, then go have real substantial food.
  • 4N6junkie
    Options
    Because, contrary to what I have been reading here, your body does know the difference between a piece of cake that is 250 cals and piece of chicken that is 250 cals. The body will use the chicken (protein) to release the fat burning hormone (glucagon) and burn fat; it will use the cake to release insulin and create fat.

This is definitely my opinion, too. I don't understand how a calorie can be just a calorie, no matter what form it comes in. The different make-up of foods mean your body will use them in different ways. This is why I'd rather snack on a 100-cal banana or a 70-cal apple than, say, a small packet of crisps for the same.

To this, that is absolutely right! If there is a "healthy" alternative and the thought of eating it doesn't make you want to kill yourself, then great! Do it! but One shouldn't cut out every enjoyable thing in life. Just learn the value (or COST) of the yummy things and it will keep you sane during this journey! Eating should be a good experience... not torture.
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    Options
    LMAO @organic rainbow lettuce brigade!

i agree... it's called moderation and portion control. you can eat what you want...you want pizza and taco bell? go for it... just not often or big portions!
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thank you for posting :flowerforyou:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    This is me just sharing my personal experience.

Prior to starting my "healthy lifestyle" journey back in Sept 2009, I ate mostly processed foods: chicken tenders; frozen mini pizzas; boxed lunches; canned soups, etc. And me and the BF ate out regularly and always had dessert.

As with most people here, to lose the weight, I just downsized my portions, didn't go out to dinner as much, eliminated dessert (most of the time), counted calories, and exercised. At the time, I was truly of the belief that "a calorie was a calorie." I dropped 25 lbs. So what I was doing was working. I ate in moderation, had my Fri/Sat as FREE days, and lost the weight living my life...which is exactly how I wanted to lose it.

Although 25 lbs lighter, I was still flabby.

This Fall, my processed foods turned against me. Although I was still counting calories and exercising as usual, I actually began to gain weight. I was constantly bloated and retaining water. My body had no idea what do with all the chemicals in the processed foods. It wasn't using them to help me sustain my loss or continue to lose. So I went to a two-day nutrition seminar and learned that in order kick start my body and to achieve a leaner, slimmer look, I HAD to eat cleaner. HAD TO!

So, I changed up my diet by adding more protein and cooking my food. Now, I haven't given up all processed foods, chocolate, Skinny Cow, and I still eat a bit more loosely on Fri/Sat, but for the most part, I give my body the calories and foods it can use to build muscle and burn fat. Because, contrary to what I have been reading here, your body does know the difference between a piece of cake that is 250 cals and piece of chicken that is 250 cals. The body will use the chicken (protein) to release the fat burning hormone (glucagon) and burn fat; it will use the cake to release insulin and create fat.

My first step...GET THE WEIGHT OFF in a way that was sustainable. CHECK.

Second step: TONE.

I am now a firm believer that not all calories are the same. For me, I'd rather weigh about 3-5 lbs more and be lean/tone. But I am 2+ yrs into my journey and it has taken alot of trial and error with food to get where I am at today.

Good luck everyone!

I agree with you.

A calorie is definitely not a calorie and I get so sick of hearing that. I dropped 10lbs the first six months by cutting calories, logging and weighing food and exercising as much as I can (which I hated). BUT - I still had all my digestive issues. I still had a big belly (this was after 2 months of P90x strength training because I was told to do this to burn off belly fat when at a healthy weight - hmm...didn't work). I still felt like crap. I was still tired all the time. I was still suffering from weak shaky hunger 90 minutes to 2 hours after eating.

I switched things. I stopped worrying about calories and portions. I knocked out the grains, legumes, sugars and even milk just to see what would happen. I went Primal. I had reached my goal of 120lbs - went with this number since this was the lowest I ever got after puberty and it happened in my 20s. Within the next four months I dropped another 10lbs. I was eating fibrous veggies, occasional berries, nuts and seeds. I started eating lots of meat and fats. I drench my veggies in butter and/or coconut oil. I drink coconut milk. I eat 3-4 eggs almost every day.

My belly went away (I now have a 26" waist - never had this before). My lowest was 110.6 and now am about 111.6. My body regulates my fat storage on it's own. I don't eat near what I burn but I'm not in starvation mode (my metabolism is still going great).
    No one can tell me that all calories are the same. Yes, calories do matter when you are trying to lose weight but you can spontaneously restrict your calories (no weighing or counting involved) if you can dial into the number of carbs your body can handle and increase your protein and healthy fats (industrial PUFA oils are not natural or healthy - especially canola and soybean oil). Every digestive issue I had is gone (I still have insulin resistance but I did the damage before going Primal and it's genetic at this point). Milk was the cause of all my sinus and ear issues. My energy levels went through the roof. I don't have to exercise near as much (I follow Primal Blueprint Fitness). Carbs keep you hungry. Protein and fat fill you up and keep you full

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-context-of-calories/#axzz1l9PkrrhK
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#axzz1l9PoqtXu
  • LonghornGirlNC
    LonghornGirlNC Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Great post and completely true! Kudos!
  • cdoane
    cdoane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree!! I have always believed that most things are find in moderation! I do work veggies and fruits, and lean protiens into my diet. But being a single person, living alone, that is on a tight budget, i can afford all organic food! I make more meals now, but i still do eat pasta and will eat processed food. I believe as long as you are staying within your calorie budget, and you are making sure most of your calories are from natural fresh products, go for that chocolate or other item!
  • brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Neither does eating "healthy" with no exercise, having high stress and bad genetics. BTW, weight is basically the main factor in health risk. The higher it is in proportion to your body frame, the more at risk you would be.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thank you certified voice of reason!
  • Cris725
    Options
    Well said! I enjoyed reading this and I whole-heartedly agree!! Yay for pizza!! LOL
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Love it! I think whe you tell people they have to completely change their way of eating, you are setting them up to fail. When you make people beleive that they can't eat the things that they love once in a while you set them up to fail! I want this to be just that, a lifestyle change. I know in my life I will never give up eating pizza, or enjoying Culvers, or Eating out and having fettucine once in a while, I just know that I can't do it every day, and that when I do I need to be aware of my portion size. I have been loggin on mfp for 3.5 weeks and am down 9lbs by eating normal foods....and even have a '"free day" every sunday, where I eat what I want, I log, but I don't care if I go over on my calories that day.....***gasp**oh the madness of it all!!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My organic rainbow lettuce is fertilized by Majestic Unicorn Poop. :)

Everything questionable in moderation...and modification. I try to find ways to eat the "naughty stuff" but modified. Instead of french fries, I do baked potato wedges, heavily seasoned and baked all to hell on a cooking stone. They're totally yummy. I'll make pizza, but use half whole wheat flour/half regular, less cheese and more toppings to make it sing.

But let the purists be purists...it's working for them and you've found something that works for you! Hooray for all!
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    To this, that is absolutely right! If there is a "healthy" alternative and the thought of eating it doesn't make you want to kill yourself, then great! Do it! but One shouldn't cut out every enjoyable thing in life. Just learn the value (or COST) of the yummy things and it will keep you sane during this journey! Eating should be a good experience... not torture.

Definitely! I couldn't keep up with this healthy eating lark if I didn't eat 'normal' food. I enjoy a salad with my fries, fruit with my sandwich for lunch... as with everything, it's about moderation and treating yourself where you can.
  • Kassileigh
    Kassileigh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Amen brother. My mother is a 'Rainbow Lettuce Brigade' person most of the time, preaches, tells me I am killing myself eating whatever is the deadly sin food of the day (usually according to Dr Oz/Oprah) and then spectacularly falls off her rainbow wagons and promptly gains back what she has lost and berates herself. A vicious cycle.

I think good clean food is best but oooooh my, the Cornish pasty I had today was luuuuuuuush :)
  • adamyoung1
    Options
    I definitely agree with this statement. I recently wrote (am awaiting publication of) a book on achieving weight loss. The main premise of the book is the calorie in vs calorie out argument. Within reason, almost every scientific study that has been calorie controlled has shown that it doesnt matter if your calories come from carbohydrates, proteins or fats. Weight loss occurs consistently in a calorie deficit, even if those carbohydrates come from high glycemic sources (sugars).

The myths that you cant eat sugars, fats or any other macronutrient is both incorrect and detrimental to the success of a dieter. Although I advocate making sure you get good levels of fiber, vitamins, minerals etc... the rest of your calorie allottment should really be up to you. I recently dieted down and lost 20 pounds (now at 7% bodyfat) without limiting anything.

Anyone who refutes the calorie in/calorie out argument has simply overcomplicated a very simple and true equation. Nutrient partitioning, thermal effects of food, hormones (insulin reactions etc) are all irrelevant in the BIG PICTURE.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Amen! I lost 50+ lbs eating normal food.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I generally eat normal food, but I am restricting carbs and fat. That means I am altering what I eat, bread and cheese are limited. I am not eating pizza, but instead, maybe a Chinese stir-fry, high in veggies, low in carbs and fat, salad with low-fat dressing, low sugar oatmeal, salsa, refried beans, burrito filling without the burrito. I don't use sugar substitutes or these diet concoctions you buy at the store. I make everything from scratch, so I know what is in the food I eat.
  • rebecca_chess
    rebecca_chess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Eat, drink and be merry... for tomorrow you could get run over by a cement truck while jogging on your way to Whole Foods to pick up your soy milk.
    [/quote]

^^^ LOVE THIS! Thanks for the chuckle this morning! I needed that!