Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options

Replies

• HalloweenGirl7
    HalloweenGirl7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree.
    I know someone who is always preaching to me that everything we put into our mouths is what causes all illness.
    ???
    I need 2 aspirin after talking to her: pretty sure it's not from the food I ate either. :wink:
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    bump so I can finish reading later.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    "Normal" appears to be processed, calorie-dense food according to the examples listed here. If your goal is to simply lose weight with no regard to performance, overall health, and body composition then by all means, keep eating "normally"

If your goal is visible abs, athletic performance-related, or a fitness competition you'll need to abide by that annoying saying because good abs truly are made in the kitchen. Unless you're genetically gifted you won't get ripped eating pizza for dinner (and if you can do that, I'm jealous). You get out of your body what you put in to it.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there are many different ways of eating and many reasons for doing so. if you honestly, truly can't live without this magical food in your diet I'd take a good look and figure out why. Food is nourishment, oftentimes delicious, and it shouldn't be a source of struggle.

And no where in his post did he say he wanted 'visible abs, athletic performance-related, or fitness competition body." He is looking to become healthier. As a health care professional who deals with this very topic every day, the changes he is making are going to get him to that very goal. Now, if indeed he were to set the goal of what you state, he would need to make some additional changes. MANY people are in this site are not after your goals. They are trying to ward off diabetes, high blood pressure, other obesity related illnesses. The kinds of changes he is endorsing are what I ask my patients to do every day. AND IT WORKS!!

His comment about the organic lettuce people raining on parades is exactly right. Before making comments about how detrimental the continuation of eating "normal" food is, read carefully what the goals of the person who posted are. If their goals are to lose weight, get off a medication or two, be able to walk/run a 5K, then making simple changes is enough. If they want a 6 pack, have their body fat down to 7%, eat "clean," match their macros exactly, then your way of eating is appropriate.
    If you can't support the former situation, then don't respond to that person.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    This is me just sharing my personal experience.

Prior to starting my "healthy lifestyle" journey back in Sept 2009, I ate mostly processed foods: chicken tenders; frozen mini pizzas; boxed lunches; canned soups, etc. And me and the BF ate out regularly and always had dessert.

As with most people here, to lose the weight, I just downsized my portions, didn't go out to dinner as much, eliminated dessert (most of the time), counted calories, and exercised. At the time, I was truly of the belief that "a calorie was a calorie." I dropped 25 lbs. So what I was doing was working. I ate in moderation, had my Fri/Sat as FREE days, and lost the weight living my life...which is exactly how I wanted to lose it.

Although 25 lbs lighter, I was still flabby.

This Fall, my processed foods turned against me. Although I was still counting calories and exercising as usual, I actually began to gain weight. I was constantly bloated and retaining water. My body had no idea what do with all the chemicals in the processed foods. It wasn't using them to help me sustain my loss or continue to lose. So I went to a two-day nutrition seminar and learned that in order kick start my body and to achieve a leaner, slimmer look, I HAD to eat cleaner. HAD TO!

So, I changed up my diet by adding more protein and cooking my food. Now, I haven't given up all processed foods, chocolate, Skinny Cow, and I still eat a bit more loosely on Fri/Sat, but for the most part, I give my body the calories and foods it can use to build muscle and burn fat. Because, contrary to what I have been reading here, your body does know the difference between a piece of cake that is 250 cals and piece of chicken that is 250 cals. The body will use the chicken (protein) to release the fat burning hormone (glucagon) and burn fat; it will use the cake to release insulin and create fat.

My first step...GET THE WEIGHT OFF in a way that was sustainable. CHECK.

Second step: TONE.

I am now a firm believer that not all calories are the same. For me, I'd rather weigh about 3-5 lbs more and be lean/tone. But I am 2+ yrs into my journey and it has taken alot of trial and error with food to get where I am at today.

Good luck everyone!

I really enjoyed reading your story. Very inspiring, and you sound very in tune with your body. Congrats!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    AMEN!! Think this should be one of the first posts newbies to the site see.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My organic rainbow lettuce is fertilized by Majestic Unicorn Poop. :)

<3
  • lea8199
    lea8199 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i agree with you!! i've been eating a lot of the same stuff that i usually do, and i already lost 7lbs in 4 weeks... portion control is important, and you gotta make some tweaks here and there... i've been cutting my sugar intake.. i still have it, but i am no longer eating a tub of ice cream each night..
  • hojo94
    hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this! It is so true... THANK YOU!!!!
  • allyson9885
    Options
    Eating at restaurants is the toughest thing to self-regulate in my opinion, unless an entire served portion is within your calorie allotment.

I think I'm going to try the trick everyone's been telling me about and order a box along with my meal, and put part of it in the box to take home before I dig in to it! Chinese food is the worst...
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Eat, drink and be merry... for tomorrow you could get run over by a cement truck while jogging on your way to Whole Foods to pick up your soy milk.

^^^ LOVE THIS! Thanks for the chuckle this morning! I needed that!

Thanks... I'm thinking I should make this my profile page quote. :laugh:
  • kruggsy
    kruggsy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Perfect! I've been waiting for someone to say those things.I like some 'healthy' foods, I also like some good old fashion fish and chips once and a while. A little of what you fancy does you good. I believe that's how the saying goes.
    6lbs lost and moving forward.:tongue:
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    "Normal" appears to be processed, calorie-dense food according to the examples listed here. If your goal is to simply lose weight with no regard to performance, overall health, and body composition then by all means, keep eating "normally"

If your goal is visible abs, athletic performance-related, or a fitness competition you'll need to abide by that annoying saying because good abs truly are made in the kitchen. Unless you're genetically gifted you won't get ripped eating pizza for dinner (and if you can do that, I'm jealous). You get out of your body what you put in to it.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there are many different ways of eating and many reasons for doing so. if you honestly, truly can't live without this magical food in your diet I'd take a good look and figure out why. Food is nourishment, oftentimes delicious, and it shouldn't be a source of struggle.

And no where in his post did he say he wanted 'visible abs, athletic performance-related, or fitness competition body." He is looking to become healthier. As a health care professional who deals with this very topic every day, the changes he is making are going to get him to that very goal. Now, if indeed he were to set the goal of what you state, he would need to make some additional changes. MANY people are in this site are not after your goals. They are trying to ward off diabetes, high blood pressure, other obesity related illnesses. The kinds of changes he is endorsing are what I ask my patients to do every day. AND IT WORKS!!

His comment about the organic lettuce people raining on parades is exactly right. Before making comments about how detrimental the continuation of eating "normal" food is, read carefully what the goals of the person who posted are. If their goals are to lose weight, get off a medication or two, be able to walk/run a 5K, then making simple changes is enough. If they want a 6 pack, have their body fat down to 7%, eat "clean," match their macros exactly, then your way of eating is appropriate.
    If you can't support the former situation, then don't respond to that person.

I am a so-called 'organic lettuce person' but I agree with you. Simply watching calories and losing weight by eating less of the foods you typically eat is a great way to begin here. And, I have no doubt that getting your BMI down trumps everything else. So it isn't a matter of black or white. I personally enjoy maximizing my nutrition, and enjoy whole plants, but to each their own. I know it's possible to lose weight on a 'twinkie diet' (well maybe not now that Hostess has gone belly up), but my goals go beyond weight loss. So tweaking my diet for optimal health indices--such as cholesterol, blood pressure, etc--is something I have no problem doing. I don't know if I would if I found plants disgusting, but I LOVE them!
  • jilltaylor86
    jilltaylor86 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! Back in 2007, I lost a large amount of weight rather quickly, around 30-40 pounds. I ate a ton of simple carbs, BUT kept the calories and fat under control. I even would have a small piece of cake or a couple of pieces of chocolate. I attribute my success to the calorie control and the fact I did an intense workout 5 days a week. The weight melted off. And no, I wasn't flabby or "skinny fat'. I actually got really toned and weighed more than I currently do but my clothes fit much nicer. I wasn't downing chicken left and right and drinking gallons of water. I still managed to succeed and tone and shape my body. A example of what I would eat would be like cereal and white, not wheat, toast and orange juice, a sandwich with crackers and hummus, and canned spaghetti and salad for dinner. So I say, do what works for you, and yes try to make healthier choices and don't live on junk and franken-foods. I'm trying to get back to how I used to be, and yes, the mentality of "all or nothing" with healthy, organic eating is making it very difficult.
  • creeperlegume
    creeperlegume Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is great. Thanks for posting!
  • WTJoyce
    Options

:heart:

Obviously, our modern society has a huge problem seeing that what is considered ''normal'' by most is processed crap food.
    Too many people base their happiness on food. They say ''omg, I would never give up junk because I'd feel so deprived''.
    It's just food.
    If you really feel like you can't enjoy life without junk food, I'd try to find the reason why.
    There is a misconception about the ''organic rainbow lettuce brigade''. I've read comments stating that people who don't eat junk must be so unhappy. Is it so hard to believe that some of us enjoy kale, lean turkey and avocado without feeling deprived?
    Don't let food take over your emotions. Don't let it be the reason why your happy or unhappy.

-Proud member of the organic rainbow lettuce brigade! :wink:

Very true.

We should eat to live, not live to eat.

Food is merely fuel for my body.

to the OP:

So in response to your perceived infliction of this brigade of healthy eaters you decide thst it is up to you to define normal?

Hello pot, meet kettle.

Sorry folks, but it is not so true, its just another opinion that one can agree or disagree with.

I was a food professional for over 30 years.

I LOVE food, but i'll let you decide what is normal, for you.

For me, I now only eat whole grain, no sugar except for the amount that is in my frozen yogurt, no high fructoes corn syrup, and few if any pastries, and I spent 8 years as a pastry chef. I still enjoy an adulkt bevereage when I feel like it, and use half and half in my coffee. I balance my choices and count my calories and exercise 4-6 days a week.

I eat whole grain pasta, whole grain crust pizza, and I think its delicious, you may not. Who is normal?

I mix my heatlthier food choices with the kitchen skills I picked up over the years and I don't miss a thing that I no longer eat and only eat what I enjoy.

If you're happy with another approcah, more power to you, especially if it works for you.

But please, don't try to tell me what is "normal", especially if your definition includes fast food, junk food or any of a number of ingredients that can very possibly affect your health in the long run.
  • Dadof8
    Dadof8 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I get the concept that food is fuel. sometimes you have to eat things you may not like. but I'm not going to make it long by making that kind of food my only kind of food. that's no way to live, dreading your next meal. and most people won't. that's why diets fail. and that's why MFP works. because a calorie is a calorie.

Healthy food doesn't make you live longer it just makes it seem longer.
  • duchesspam
    duchesspam Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nice post! I totally agree. I lost 100 lbs eating "normal" food. The moment someone tells me I CAN'T have something...that's when it's all I can think about. Normally, the first bite is the best...sometimes it's all you need. It's good to know your triggers and learn to stay away or control them, but I haven't found a food I CAN'T have. Keep up the encouragement everyone! It takes a village.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Telling people in a condescending way that eating junk food in moderation isn't going to kill you is just as bad as telling people it will. For some of us, "normal" IS limiting processed food consumption. And no, for those of us who consider that "normal," we are not depriving ourselves of anything - it's normal for us, there's no deprivation if we're not having something we don't even want. Our enjoyment of life is not somehow lacking because we don't eat certain foods. My life fulfillment does not depend on whether or not I had some fries, ate some dessert, and drank some wine while out with friends, it's the being out with friends that provides fulfillment. This is in no way directed completely towards the OP, I think the overall point was that it can be important to help those new to trying to lose weight with not overwhelming them with comments about immediately eating clean all of the time because if they don't eat that way they'll never reach their goals, and that can lead discouragement for those who currently eat a primarily processed diet and may not be able to make such a drastic change immediately. But a lot (not all) of the reply comments have turned to the typical you're-not-really-living-if-you're-only-eating-healthy type of comments. Sure we are, what one group of people finds fulfilling in life may not be what another finds fulfilling.
  • KathyEarhart
    KathyEarhart Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is saying you should eat junk 24/7, just that you don't have to quit it altogether. Yes, we all know it's not good for us; but we also enjoy it.

I also think the assumption that just because we eat junk, means we don't eat anything good. I eat candy every day. I also LOVE vegetables & fruits. There aren't many veggies or fruits that I don't like, brussel sprouts aren't my favorite, but I will eat them. I'm not crazy about beans, but I will eat them. I spend the majority of my grocery money in the produce section. My kids beg like cray in the produce section. Their biggest food offense at home is eating all the veggies we just chopped for our dinner, before we put them in dinner! Most people who see how well my kids eat, can't believe that they love broccoli, asparagus, artichokes, avocados and so on. I also love red meat and still eat it. Prime rib is one of my favorites (and my kids, they even eat straight horseradish with it.) I love brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, skim milk, salads, squash, zucchini, bean sprouts, fruits, and so on. I also love chocolate. I've been slowly making small changes and that's what is working for me.

I'm a firm believer that you should try foods you don't like over time. I try foods I don't like every time they are offered, some I still don't care for, others I have learned to like. I refused to let my children to not like veggies. When my daughter was 1 she refused green beans, guess what she ate every day for 2 weeks? She loves them now. We sit down and eat as a family every.single.night. I honestly can't remember the last time we didn't have dinner as a family. It's what we do. Those meals are generally home cooked, but we do eat out. My kids are allowed to eat junk now and then. I've seen the child who isn't allowed any junk, who grows up and only eats junk. One of my friends was raised very clean vegan, she will NOT eat any vegetables, hates them from only getting them for so long. Totally backfired. I was raised to eat very healthy and as soon as I could control my food, I went nuts and ate junk like it was going out of style. If I would have been taught moderation early on, I would be a lot better off now.

Bottom line is yes, you should aim to eat nutritious foods most of the time. But, you can also enjoy junk food, moderation is key. Many people will eventually have more healthy foods than junk, when they realize how much better they feel and how much fuller they are. That doesn't mean that they can't eat junk here and there. It's a process and lifestyle change, not a temporary restricting, that when you put that stuff back in your diet you blow back up. We don't hate healthy food, we just also love junk food.
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Some of us like healthy food. It annoys me when people call it rabbit food or that its 'weird'. I love salad I eat 2-3 a day huge ones with tons of veggies, I don't eat meat, I don't drink dairy, I love soy/almond milk, it is delicious, If you haven't had chocolate soy/almond milk you are missing out. I grew up eating tons of veggies so to me that is 'normal' to me 'normal' is NOT a mcdonalds cheeseburger. But I do have a sweet tooth, I love dark chocolate/cookies/non dairy ice cream, so no I don't always eat super healthy at all times if I want something I eat it in moderation. But in general I prefer healthy food over all greasy fatty food, I'll take a garlic hummus vegetable sandwich on wheat bread over a crappy fast food meal or processed crap anyday. It freaks me out when food has a million ingredients and I can't pronounce half of them, thats not food to me.

I am like you in a lot of ways. I prefer veggies and "health" food. But that is not the norm. My mother struggles to eat a vegetable that isn't dipped in grease. She is an emotional eater and I think what the OP is saying is perfect! Not everyone can do the organic, completely heatlhy NON "normal food" every day. My mother would wilt and die as would most people. We are a country that is focused on food. It's what we are. That doesn' make us monsters. That just makes us a heavy. It seems to be shifting and that is good. But consider yourself one of the very lucky ones that you feel this way. For MOST it is a constant struggle and it should be supported and not frowned upon because they can't do it like it's "supposed" to be done.

(and this wasn't a rant on you personally :smile: You just hit on the head what I was thinking and what I see others struggle with)