Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    "Normal" appears to be processed, calorie-dense food according to the examples listed here. If your goal is to simply lose weight with no regard to performance, overall health, and body composition then by all means, keep eating "normally"

If your goal is visible abs, athletic performance-related, or a fitness competition you'll need to abide by that annoying saying because good abs truly are made in the kitchen. Unless you're genetically gifted you won't get ripped eating pizza for dinner (and if you can do that, I'm jealous). You get out of your body what you put in to it.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there are many different ways of eating and many reasons for doing so. if you honestly, truly can't live without this magical food in your diet I'd take a good look and figure out why. Food is nourishment, oftentimes delicious, and it shouldn't be a source of struggle.

:heart:

Obviously, our modern society has a huge problem seeing that what is considered ''normal'' by most is processed crap food.
    Too many people base their happiness on food. They say ''omg, I would never give up junk because I'd feel so deprived''.
    It's just food.
    If you really feel like you can't enjoy life without junk food, I'd try to find the reason why.
    There is a misconception about the ''organic rainbow lettuce brigade''. I've read comments stating that people who don't eat junk must be so unhappy. Is it so hard to believe that some of us enjoy kale, lean turkey and avocado without feeling deprived?
    Don't let food take over your emotions. Don't let it be the reason why your happy or unhappy.

-Proud member of the organic rainbow lettuce brigade! :wink:

Very true.

We should eat to live, not live to eat.

Food is merely fuel for my body.

to the OP:

So in response to your perceived infliction of this brigade of healthy eaters you decide thst it is up to you to define normal?

Hello pot, meet kettle.

Sorry folks, but it is not so true, its just another opinion that one can agree or disagree with.

I was a food professional for over 30 years.

I LOVE food, but i'll let you decide what is normal, for you.

For me, I now only eat whole grain, no sugar except for the amount that is in my frozen yogurt, no high fructoes corn syrup, and few if any pastries, and I spent 8 years as a pastry chef. I still enjoy an adulkt bevereage when I feel like it, and use half and half in my coffee. I balance my choices and count my calories and exercise 4-6 days a week.

I eat whole grain pasta, whole grain crust pizza, and I think its delicious, you may not. Who is normal?

I mix my heatlthier food choices with the kitchen skills I picked up over the years and I don't miss a thing that I no longer eat and only eat what I enjoy.

If you're happy with another approcah, more power to you, especially if it works for you.

But please, don't try to tell me what is "normal", especially if your definition includes fast food, junk food or any of a number of ingredients that can very possibly affect your health in the long run.

I see several others have pointed out the same thing I just did. Pot meet kettle, indeed.
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    As much as I love pizza, my definition of normal food isn't fast food and junk. It's just getting regular, non-diet, food. When I want ice cream, I have a normal portion of ice cream (or an ice cream sandwich), not Skinny Cow. I have milk, not almond milk. I make sandwiches on whole grain bread, but not the 35 calories a slice kind. When I have a cheeseburger, it's ground beef, not turkey because turkey is way too dry, although it's ok for meatballs. I tried soyburgers... they tasted like McDonalds to me, and McDonalds is "emergency food" to me, not a satisfying meal.

I do like bagels, nachos, potato chips, and and garlic bread. And regular jive old white pasta, because I can't see enough of a difference in the macros to bother with the whole grain type. I have plenty of lean meat and veggies, too, and including the foods I enjoy hasn't had any negative effect on my progress, so I see no need to remove them. Plus, I'd have a hell of a time reaching my calories and macros without the breads and pastas I love so much.

This is exactly what I'm trying to tell my mother. Eat it, just don't eat it ALL at once. :) I eat normal, non diet foods. I just happen to be a veggie lover and enjoy lower cal things. If I'm going to eat a cheeseburger, it's gonna be a nice lovely greasy one and I will account for it. I do love a good turkey burger, you just have to add to it to keep it yummy
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I eat salad everyday for lunch because I want to not because its healthy I love this post because I still have chocolate chips and processed chicken. I went to nandos and had a huge meal but if I make it fit in my diary then I am happy and it helps me to lose weight I am fine.
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    As much as I love pizza, my definition of normal food isn't fast food and junk. It's just getting regular, non-diet, food. When I want ice cream, I have a normal portion of ice cream (or an ice cream sandwich), not Skinny Cow. I have milk, not almond milk. I make sandwiches on whole grain bread, but not the 35 calories a slice kind. When I have a cheeseburger, it's ground beef, not turkey because turkey is way too dry, although it's ok for meatballs. I tried soyburgers... they tasted like McDonalds to me, and McDonalds is "emergency food" to me, not a satisfying meal.

I do like bagels, nachos, potato chips, and and garlic bread. And regular jive old white pasta, because I can't see enough of a difference in the macros to bother with the whole grain type. I have plenty of lean meat and veggies, too, and including the foods I enjoy hasn't had any negative effect on my progress, so I see no need to remove them. Plus, I'd have a hell of a time reaching my calories and macros without the breads and pastas I love so much.

This is exactly what I'm trying to tell my mother. Eat it, just don't eat it ALL at once. :) I eat normal, non diet foods. I just happen to be a veggie lover and enjoy lower cal things. If I'm going to eat a cheeseburger, it's gonna be a nice lovely greasy one and I will account for it. I do love a good turkey burger, you just have to add to it to keep it yummy. So you can do it either way, just figure out what works for you. Half of the stuff some people eat on here, I have NO clue what it is and it's supposed to be "healthy".:laugh:
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    To this, that is absolutely right! If there is a "healthy" alternative and the thought of eating it doesn't make you want to kill yourself, then great! Do it! but One shouldn't cut out every enjoyable thing in life. Just learn the value (or COST) of the yummy things and it will keep you sane during this journey! Eating should be a good experience... not torture.

Definitely! I couldn't keep up with this healthy eating lark if I didn't eat 'normal' food. I enjoy a salad with my fries, fruit with my sandwich for lunch... as with everything, it's about moderation and treating yourself where you can.

Agreed with this, I have healthier alternatives to a lot of foods, brown carbs for example, quorn sausages and lower fat dairy products, but only because I like them just as much as the "bad" versions, if I didn't, then I wouldn't force myself to eat them!
  • Julie2402
    Options
    for a while, I was seeing an abundance of "what's gonna happen to my boobs" threads. new batches daily, it seemed. but, lately, I'm seeing new folks coming in and asking if they can eat so-called 'normal' food. and, of course, soon thereafter they are informed by various members that, no, all of that food is terrible and they must stock their fridge with organic lettuce grown under the sunshine reflected off a tropical rainbow.

that really bothers me. people join this site, often, after years of failed attempts. many are frustrated ... discouraged. so much so that it probably wouldn't take much for them to just throw it in and give up. and you know what just might be that push? the organic rainbow lettuce brigade.

you know what, that food is certainly nutritious. no one is really going to argue that point. and is nutritious food better for your body than not-so-nutritious food? well, yeah. but here's the thing, ORLBs. that's an extreme change many -- if not most -- people can't make. and, yes, I said can't -- not won't. it isn't always as simple as just throwing away all the food you've got and restocking with fresh produce and tofu burgers. the first obstacle is cost. the second is ease/feasibility. and that's not even figuring in the fact that many -- if not most, again -- don't like to eat that food!

I get the concept that food is fuel. sometimes you have to eat things you may not like. but I'm not going to make it long by making that kind of food my only kind of food. that's no way to live, dreading your next meal. and most people won't. that's why diets fail. and that's why MFP works. because a calorie is a calorie.

Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food. I'll eat pizza. I'll eat chocolate. I eat pasta and bread and even, now and then, a cookie or some candy. I lost 3.5 pounds this past week. I've lost more than 17 pounds in less than two months. and it's because I'm learning to keep my food portions under control. I keep under my calorie limit. I plan ahead if I know I'm going to have a larger meal or a higher-calorie treat that day. and if it just happens without planning and I decide to take that treat? that means a longer stint at the gym to burn those extra calories off.

the ORLBs will now start sputtering, 'but that's not healthy!' and to that, I'd like to ask if being obese is healthy. I think ... no. so. let's move to basic food math:

eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = weight loss;
    weight loss = a healthier me;
    therefore, eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = a healthier me.

shedding that extra weight automatically makes you healthier, no matter what it is you are eating. there's simply no way around that fact. now, that isn't to say that you shouldn't make smart decisions. that isn't to say that you shouldn't work to find 'healthy' foods that you like, working them into your daily life. but, like weight loss, that's a process. it doesn't need to happen overnight.

focus on what works. turn yourself into a better you. and do it in a way that will allow it to be a life change. and if, for you, that means 'normal' food? do it, and do it without any of the guilt you've been programmed or pressured to feel.quote]
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Well said. You just have to learn to make it work!
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I'm trying to tell my mother. Eat it, just don't eat it ALL at once. :) I eat normal, non diet foods. I just happen to be a veggie lover and enjoy lower cal things. If I'm going to eat a cheeseburger, it's gonna be a nice lovely greasy one and I will account for it. I do love a good turkey burger, you just have to add to it to keep it yummy. So you can do it either way, just figure out what works for you. Half of the stuff some people eat on here, I have NO clue what it is and it's supposed to be "healthy".:laugh:

Definitely! I am so fed up of people posting saying "I'm going out for a special meal/drink, what can I have?" Whatever the hell you want, one enjoyable, calorific night will not kill you, or make you put back on all of your weight in one sitting. But it just might make you happy, as horrifying as that thought may be!
  • Julie2402
    Options
    Hi, i couldn't agree with you more! I eat all the foods i did before but less and also exercise more. I have lost 28lb's, i would like to lose another 20lb's and i will do. You should enjoy your food but know your limits!! Take care.
  • soon2bhotmom
    soon2bhotmom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    must stock their fridge with organic lettuce grown under the sunshine reflected off a tropical rainbow.

LOL....love that quote!

This is the smartest post I have seen on here yet. Couldnt have said it better! Congrats on your loss!
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    HALLELUJAH!!!!!!
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    amen!
  • fitmomma23
    fitmomma23 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Great Post! Well said! :wink:
  • coryp12
    coryp12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like your point! Taking weight loss far too seriously can make it a short lived change for some. If some are able to live on the special rainbow lettuce and can make that work then I applaud them. That will not work for me though. The first change should be eating less calories and exercising. As a person starts to see positive results a person may choose to make choices for healthier and healthier food to fuel the rush they expereince from their progress. Don't make the process burdensome people. Make it work for you!
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Jumping on the bandwagon of folks that are behind you 100%. I just understand that one of the biggest reasons previous diets have failed was due to crazy rules about what types of food I can and cannot eat. In fact, I actually had a huge relapse with my ME/Chronic fatigue syndrome because of one supposedly "healthy diet" that involved cutting out gluten/wheat/sugar and dairy. Now I understand that I just need to EAT NORMALLY. Because, after all, this is my life. That isn't going to change. I am going to have the same challenges, every day. Sure, with willpower I might be able to manage to eat some extreme diet for two weeks and then fall off the wagon, feel like a failure and quit. With MFP, there IS no falling off the wagon for me, because I see exactly what I ate and see where I need to adjust and make changes. I KNOW that no matter what happens, if I keep eating this way, I WILL lose weight. It may not be as fast as I would like, but there is no way I can fail long term by following this way of eating. That alone gives me all I need to keep going.
  • TiffyC828
    TiffyC828 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS! I have lost 60 lbs since April..The only thing I have changed in regards to my eating habits is I eat 1 serving instead of the entire dish! I will sometimes eat lean cuisine meals, smart ones, things like that too. While I know it isn't the BEST choice...it works for me!

I am a firm believer that it IS all about portion control! (of course, I have added excersise too) but in the beginning, just cutting down on my calorie intake, I was dropping weight :)

Now, I am going to go enjoy my snack for the night...crackers and some cheese!

Losing weight does not equate to good health. Just sayin'.

As much as I would LOVE to look like you..dropping from almost 300 where I am now..I'll take it in baby steps. THanks for your unsolicited input though!..oh..Just sayin...
    unsolicited input ?

You posted on a forum, a forum by its nature is about soliciting input.

In case you don't understand, let me clairfy..I wasn't asking for an opinion on MY weightloss. I was simply commenting on the OP :) There for..the comment made regarding MY weightloss and how I have done so, isn't up for comment or attack :)
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think the point is that you can eat foods that are "normal" for you. If you like salad and thats what you consider "normal" thats great. I love salad and could eat it everyday.

However, I work in a hospital, and the "normal" foods in our cafeteria (besides the salad bar) are cheese burgers, chicken sandwiches, chicken tenders, fries and pizza. Since this is what I'm used to eating a few days a week when I dont pack a lunch, I continue to eat these things, just in moderation. I watch my portion sizes and I log the things I eat even if it is bad.

In the end its all about accountability and portion sizes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    i totally agree. i'm SO sick of the "abs are made in the kitchen" people.

that's my most hated saying on this entire site.

Abs ARE made in the kitchen, though. That's the fact. Abs only show up when your body fat is low enough, which is all diet.

That said, calorie control is all that's needed for that, what you eat is less important than how much you eat. So yes, they are made in the kitchen, no you don't need to eat ridiculously clean to get them.

I agree 100% with the original post. I eat all kinds of "normal" food in addition to some healthy food, and I'd say my ticker speaks for itself. Being overweight is much more of a health risk than any food you will ever eat.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the OP. I've tried a lot of those diets, but they've never "stuck" for me. One example: I lost 20 pounds pretty quickly on South Beach, but I HATED IT!. I was often hungry. I was grumpy, and as a result, my wife hated me. I gave up and gained it all back.

The ONLY thing that has worked for me and actually been sustainable for more than a month is calorie counting and exercise. I still eat WHATEVER I WANT. However, the fact that I'm limiting calories inherently causes me to rule out some of the "worst" foods and make "better" food choices. Not because I'm think they're "bad for me", but because the "cost" of certain things is just too high as compared to my daily calorie limitations. I still eat meat, I still eat a lot of bread, I still eat processed food, etc.

Today is day 50 of this for me, and I'm down 28.8 pounds, which is more than I've ever lost trying anything else...and I'm just getting started!

Is eating whatever I want and simply limiting the calories the BEST thing for my long-term health? Maybe not, but it's certainly better than remaining at 300 pounds.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    "Normal" appears to be processed, calorie-dense food according to the examples listed here. If your goal is to simply lose weight with no regard to performance, overall health, and body composition then by all means, keep eating "normally"

If your goal is visible abs, athletic performance-related, or a fitness competition you'll need to agbide by that annoying saying because good abs truly are made in the kitchen. Unless you're genetically gifted you won't get ripped eating pizza for dinner (and if you can do that, I'm jealous). You get out of your body what you put in to it.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there are many different ways of eating and many reasons for doing so. if you honestly, truly can't live without this magical food in your diet I'd take a good look and figure out why. Food is nourishment, oftentimes delicious, and it shouldn't be a source of struggle.

:heart:

Obviously, our modern society has a huge problem seeing that what is considered ''normal'' by most is processed crap food.
    Too many people base their happiness on food. They say ''omg, I would never give up junk because I'd feel so deprived''.
    It's just food.
    If you really feel like you can't enjoy life without junk food, I'd try to find the reason why.
    There is a misconception about the ''organic rainbow lettuce brigade''. I've read comments stating that people who don't eat junk must be so unhappy. Is it so hard to believe that some of us enjoy kale, lean turkey and avocado without feeling deprived?
    Don't let food take over your emotions. Don't let it be the reason why your happy or unhappy.

-Proud member of the organic rainbow lettuce brigade! :wink:

Very true.

We should eat to live, not live to eat.

Food is merely fuel for my body.

to the OP:

So in response to your perceived infliction of this brigade of healthy eaters you decide thst it is up to you to define normal?

Hello pot, meet kettle.

Sorry folks, but it is not so true, its just another opinion that one can agree or disagree with.

I was a food professional for over 30 years.

I LOVE food, but i'll let you decide what is normal, for you.

For me, I now only eat whole grain, no sugar except for the amount that is in my frozen yogurt, no high fructoes corn syrup, and few if any pastries, and I spent 8 years as a pastry chef. I still enjoy an adulkt bevereage when I feel like it, and use half and half in my coffee. I balance my choices and count my calories and exercise 4-6 days a week.

I eat whole grain pasta, whole grain crust pizza, and I think its delicious, you may not. Who is normal?

I mix my heatlthier food choices with the kitchen skills I picked up over the years and I don't miss a thing that I no longer eat and only eat what I enjoy.

If you're happy with another approcah, more power to you, especially if it works for you.

But please, don't try to tell me what is "normal", especially if your definition includes fast food, junk food or any of a number of ingredients that can very possibly affect your health in the long run.