What Stops You From Snacking?

Options
What stops you from snacking? do you take any dieting pills? what does really work? please give your experiences on what works for you :happy:

"sorry this was meant to be in a different topic"

Replies

• CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have snacks worked into my daily life cause I enjoy them, but what helps me not over snack is knowing I have to put it in ky coir diary!!! Logging here ob MFP is the best thing that happened to me!!!
  • Randa11G
    Randa11G Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have planned snacks. One at 10 a.m., one at 3 p.m. (plus popcorn after dinner if I am hungry). This breaks up the time between meals, allows me to be less hungry and have something to look forward to!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you mean mindless snacking, as in snacking when you are not hungry? Good old fashioned will power is really the only thing I've found that works. There are some tricks I've used like imagining myself in a particular outfit or swimsuit, or telling myself I can have <whatever> after I lose X more lbs, or something like that. But it still comes down to willpower.
  • jktjcca
    Options
    I have snacks throughout the day, but if I am worried about my calorie intake I drink green tea with a bit of Truvia, That seems to suffice!
  • barwwd
    barwwd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I make hot tea because it takes a little while and gives me something to do that distracts me. No calories. If I'm still hungry after the tea cools a bit and I drink it, fruit, veggies, or nuts.
  • borkjr
    borkjr Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't - I just have readily available low-calorie portion controlled snacks around at all times (couple ounces of carrots, some canteloupe, bag of popcorn, box of green giant frozen veggies, etc), and I eat smaller meals to compensate for the all-day intake of calories.
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Ridumcowgirl Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    A cup of iced/hot green tea...I SWEAR by it. It works like a charm PLUS its amazing for appetite control, weight loss, skin, etc whats not to love!:o)
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's not the snacking that I have stopped doing, it's the chips, cookies and other junk. Today's snacks: Morning - apple. Afternoon - greek yogourt. Evening - I always have a bowl of Raisin Bran after dinner. Three snacks, all part of the plan.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have a series of small meals throughout the day, so I don't know if you consider those "snacks" or not, but I make good choices when I'm eating. I also don't buy "snack" foods like crackers, chips, etc. I've just found that even if I want to treat myself, leaving it in the house isn't good. I'll buy an individual bag of chips, cookies, crackers, etc and enjoy them and then they're gone and out of the house.

It also helps to have filling meals with protein and fiber that keep me full and satisfied. I also just remember why I'm where I am and how I want to be and that prevents me from sabotaging myself.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What stops you from snacking?

The thought of running out of (or 'wasting') precious calories.
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm like most of the posters above. I just try to plan snacks into my day to avoid any hunger binges.
  • Capt_Chev
    Capt_Chev Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've started to drink water every time I get a craving for food!

Its helping! :)
  • gwynb041109
    gwynb041109 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Only thing that is stopping me right now, is knowing that once my BMI is under 45 my fertility doc will be helping my husband and I to conceive :)
  • kmganz
    kmganz Posts: 16
    Options
    Having to account for it in my food diary really makes me think harder about whether I'm actually hungry...or just bored. I also tend to eat my packed lunch throughout the day, so that helps, since I've already planned those things as "lunch". The best is when I overpack my lunch and can REMOVE items from my food diary (I generally enter everything I've packed to see what my calorie "balance" would be). :)
    If I really must snack outside of my planned food, I try to sneak in an extra walk or some stairs to make up for it!
  • blkbttrfly
    blkbttrfly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Those are my snack times as well. Keeps me from starving at lunch and dinnertimes.
  • Lewre78
    Options
    I plan snacks into my day. Most of the time they are somewhat healthy. Occasionally not, but since I build it into my day and plan for it that's ok, right? lol. For example, every Monday evening I eat a small package of coconut M&Ms. I love those things and so look forward to them! I enter it into MFP in the morning so those calories are already accounted for. I make them last I eat them while reading a good book. When I turn a page I eat an M&M. It's amazing how long a small package can last when you pace yourself. lol. The other night I ate a pack while watching a movie. They were gone in no time at all. :( I won't waste my chocolate like that again! Sorry, I got a bit sidetracked. My answer is I don't try to avoid snacking. I keep healthy things on hand to snack on and I plan for it. I can't NOT have chocolate so I plan for that once a week and really look forward to it. It helps me to not completely deprive myself of something I love. This summer I'll work ice cream into my diet. ;)
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have no shame about snacking, as long as I plan ahead for the day. I work full-time and pack my lunch bag the night before, figuring in something little for breakfast, my lunch, and two snacks. I make sure I have enough fruits and vegetables and healthy snacks that I look forward to, yet fill me up. If I'm doing well on calories, I treat myself with some Dove dark chocolates after lunch. I try not to eat much after dinner time (and this is the hardest time for me to fight the munchies). To prevent myself from snacking then, I try drinking a cup of tea. If I really need something before bed, I'll have something light like a banana or a glass of soy milk.
  • tearose4
    tearose4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I finally learned how to abstain when I am not hungry. That being said, if I am actually HUNGRY between meals, I will snack. Usually a between-meals snack is carbs. If at work, I can get from the vending machine: goldfish crackers (but be careful with portion sizes; a vending machine bag is actually two servings) or cheese-on-wheat cracker pack. At home, I keep single-serving bags of veggie chips. I snack occasionally because it's a better alternative than to allow cravings to spin out of control and turn into binges. Also, brutal as it may be, LOG IT. Your body doesn't care whether you lie to your food diary or not. Seeing the truth look back at me helps.
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Only thing that is stopping me right now, is knowing that once my BMI is under 45 my fertility doc will be helping my husband and I to conceive :)

Sometime I wish there was a "Like" button for MFP! Good Luck to you!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have planned snacks. One at 10 a.m., one at 3 p.m. (plus popcorn after dinner if I am hungry). This breaks up the time between meals, allows me to be less hungry and have something to look forward to!

Same here, same times

When I feel like snacking outside of the planned times, I try to think of the snack in terms of minutes on a treadmill. Sometimes that's a big enough deterrent, sometimes it's not. 13 minutes on a treadmill has a way of making a handful of chips not seem worth it.