Which one are you?

Options
Eat then exercise or exercise then eat? Which works better for you?

Replies

• Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    both! lol... I have a chobani yogurt, with some blueberries, and 40g of oatmeal before going to the gym, and then when I get home I have a home made grilled chicken wrap.... I can't NOT eat before the gym, because I feel like I'm starving while doing my cardio...
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Both! The only time I don't eat before the gym is when I go straight from work and about half an hour into my workout I am usually thnking how hungry I am and not really concentrating on my workout :(
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    eat - exercise - eat again

small carb breakfast, work-out, then protein :smile:
  • mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Exercise then eat! I don't eat before or I'll be sick.
  • andreacord
    Options
    I have a little bit before exercise and then a little bit after, works quite nicely for me.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    small snack exercise breakfast (cereal)
  • MzzAisha
    MzzAisha Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Exercise then eat. I dont want food to weigh me down - if I am starving before I workout I will eat a banana, protein bar or something really light.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I wake up starving - I can't function without eating something. I get up at 5:20am for boot camp and eat either a Zone Perfect bar or Clif bar on the way to the gym. Before running I eat a Clif bar (or two, like I did before a marathon) or oatmeal.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I have a little bit of food for breakfast (usually not all too hungry when I wake), then after exercising, I have a protein shake... and then later on is when the larger meal comes in.
  • RUN2CJ
    RUN2CJ Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Exercise then eat. I dont want food to weigh me down - if I am starving before I workout I will eat a banana, protein bar or something really light.

This sounds like a great plan to me!! Genius, because it works for me. It's what has been workin' well for me so far. If it ain't broke, I sure don't wanna' fix it!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Exercise, then eat. Nothing motivates me through an hour-long spin class than the big protein milkshake I get to suck down afterward :)
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    exercise then eat. i hate having the full feeling while working out. even if its hours after eating, i'm not comfortable with the thought of having food in my body while working out. my workouts involves lots of circuits, high energy, intervals, etc so i'm always on the move.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    eat - exercise - eat again

small carb breakfast, work-out, then protein :smile:

This^^
    Of course, I give myself 45 minutes or so after the first breakfast before I start the workout. Then afterward, I head home and make a protein shake right away.
  • belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Definitely exercise first. I read an article on exercising in a fasted mode and it made sense,so that's what I do. Seems to work.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Like many people, I say both! For morning workouts, it's usually cereal, or an apple or half a banana with peanut butter, before the workout. If I do cardio, I'll typically eat a date with a couple of raw almonds inside right after my workout, then some protein after I shower and get to the office. If I lift weights I'll usually eat a homemade protein ball (I can't call them "truffles" with a straight face, sorry), and then a small breakfast at the office. For afternoon workouts, it's a snack before, then dinner after. For evening workouts, it's a very light dinner/heavy snack, then another light dinner/heavy snack after. I vary the amount of extra food based on the intensity and length of workouts. I usually try to make sure there is 45min or so between eating and the start of a workout, but if I can't make that happen, I eat something more dense in calories so I can eat but there is a smaller volume of food in my stomach. I find that it's more important for me to eat and have fuel for my workout, then it is to not be "weighed down" by food.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    ...technicially you should be doing both. Eating a small something before and a small something after.

That being said, most nights I have been eating first...then I workout an hour later. I try not to snack after, but if I really must I drink a glass of water and have some yogurt or a piece of cheese. Protein is great to repair muscles.
  • Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do both. I eat 1 hour before working out, and about 15 minutes after I'm done. Both meals/snacks are filled with protein. :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    protein shake-exercise-then lunch
  • kaybelmore
    Options
    Exercise then eat- for 30mins or less workout. If it's going to be longer (like a long run) I'll have something with a few low glycemic carbs and some protein.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    In the AM, I'll go straight to working out then have breakfast.
    Honestly though? I push harder in the afternoons when I have fuel.