I'm Out of Style -- HELP

Options

Replies

• 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Okay, I feel very brave I put up a picture that shows my shape. I believe I am an hourglass figure. I am 5'4" and currently weigh 164 pounds. (I started several years ago at 235 and I am hoping to maintain at 148 by the end of 2012).

I said this in another post a few weeks ago, but I am very proud of my losses. Since 2006, I have lost 8.5" at the chest; 16" at the waist and 8.5" at the hips.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    From your picture, I think you're going to be able to find lots of options! And accessories, including scarves, belts, etc., are going to give you a lot of bang for your buck. If you're planning to lose more weight, then definitely don't buy a lot for starters. This will also allow you to play around, see what style feels right, etc. I am not a huge Kohls or Target fan, but do sometimes find things there. If you are in an area that has a Boston Store/Bon Ton/Herbergers/Younkers, their yellow dot clearance sales are a great place to try out new things. And if you have any nicer resale shops, that's also a good place to find a variety of clothes. Express can be a good place for work clothing, depending on how dressy you need/want to be.

Have fun!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    go to a few different stores and take a look around to see whats out there.. then try on a few things to see how you feel.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend going into a Chico's or a Cold Water Creek store and asking someone there to help you put together a couple of outfits...they have stylish outfits for women our age and are very helpful :wink: Also, if you have a Cato near you, they are awesome! I buy 2/3 of my clothes there.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You have a great figure. Don't hide it, but I like that you're not trying to look 20 again. For casual wear, I would suggest a nice pair of dark denim jeans, which I think is the hardest thing to ever buy. They can be dressed up or down depending on your footwear and your top. I would buy a nice pair at a store. The other pieces to go with it can be purchased at a consignment or thrift store. (Those are my favorite stores! You get so much more for your buck.) Alot of times the ones at thrift stores can mostly be out of style and that would defeat your purpose.
    - Make sure they are not too high waisted or peg legged, as that will make you still look out of style. There is a difference between skinny jeans and peg legged. Skinny jeans are fitted all the way down the leg and not only from the knee down. Skinny jeans also will have some stretch to them.
    - Make sure they aren't skin tight, but also you don't want a saggy butt.
    - A definate issue is the length. They should be long enough that you can wear a flat shoe (sneaker, sandle, etc...) but still could wear them with a heel. You don't want to sit down and have the cuff/hem 3-4" above your ankles.
    - I personally like a straight leg or boot cut. They make the leg look longer.

If you wear a sweater or fleece with them and a flat shoe, it works.
    If you wear a tank top and a fitted long blouse with heels, it works.
    If you wear a fitted t-shirt/tank top and a fitted blazer/coat with dress boots, it works.

Like others have said use accessories. A great piece of jewelrey, scarf or belt go a long way to add to the look you want to create. I'd love to see pictures!

Have fun shopping!
  • 1953Judith
    Options
    The picture that I posted is the one that made me realize that I had a figure to dress again. I asked my travel companion, known for her bluntness, whether I really looked like the woman in the picture. She said yes, but that most of my clothes were too baggy and I could really benefit from a visit from the "What not to Wear Folks". I hadn't even heard of the show. You should see the rest of my clothes from that trip. I looked like I was wearing a waterlogged REI tent!

I have a plan. I have 15-20 pounds to lose before I am in the normal range. My work outfits are just fine. So what I am going to do, for the first time in my life, is listen and discuss fashion with wonderful women like you, read magazines, read articles and observe. I'm going to work out a clothing budget for spring with my husband. I'm going to go out to stores I'd never set foot in and try on clothes. Then I'm going to go to consignment stores and many of the stores you have recommended (Herbergers, Target, Kohls) and see if I can find some classics for my spring/summer wardrobe (because absolutely none of my current warm weather clothes will fit by then).

I do have
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You look great in your picture!! You have a very well defined natural waist...wear clothes that accentuates that. Dresses, blouses, shirts that nip in at the waist, and flow out at the bottom will be your best friend. And like others have said, a couple pairs of dark wash jeans that fit you well will do wonders for your wardrobe. I am also a thrift store connoisseur...I buy 90% of my wardrobe there...pretty hard to pay $50 for a sweater when you're used to paying under $5! It's definitely easy to have a fashionable wardrobe that way...you just need to try on MANY pieces in order to find ones that fit correctly and fit your style. Trying everything on is very important, as well as thinking about how that piece would fit into your wardrobe. Important things all women should own: a fitted jacket in a neutral color that will go with many outfits, dark jeans, a crisp white blouse, a versatile pair of flats, a stylish pair of sneakers, and a dress that flatters your figure that can go from day to evening by simply changing a few accessories. Have fun shopping!!
  • emmamme1979
    emmamme1979 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know it's a uk site but might give you some ideas....

http://www.fiftyplus.co.uk/shop/

Em x
  • crazybeautifulkittie
    Options
    I have an hourglass figure too. And I don't dress with the trends. Look at things that inspire you.

My advice for hourglass figure: keep with V necks, or even off the shoulder things. DON'T for for turtlenecks or round collars. Also A-line skirts and pencil skirts are great. Please steer away from low riding jeans. High waisted trousers with a nice cut are probably the best. And my favorite fall back is the wrap dress. I love the wrap dress.

http://www.thechicfashionista.com/hourglass-body-shape.html (this is a decent quick and dirty articles).

Also for good inspiration look up stars with hourglass figures who have a style that you admire. I can tell you about things I admire all day long, but they may not be what you are looking to flaunt.
  • GretaJane
    GretaJane Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Two words: Gok Wan
  • k_ramroop
    k_ramroop Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you are a little crafty I'd check out this blog called New Dress A Day (http://www.newdressaday.com/)...she does amazing (very easy) things with items she finds at thrift stores. I think her techniques would be great for people of all ages to use.

Also if you wanted something a little more hands on Nordstroms has consultants on site that can help point you in the right direction.
  • 1953Judith
    Options
    Sadly not crafty, but I enjoyed the website. I am feeling quite international as I get tips from Britain, Italy, etc.

I have a question about dresses and legware. I have started wearing more skirts and dresses and need advice on what to wear on my legs in the summer. This winter I have done really well with tights. For example, I have some smartwool Estonia black tights that look phenomenal and are warm and extremely comfortable. But should I cover my legs somehow in the spring and summer. I know that the young people don't. My legs are attractively shaped, however I can't pretend that they look like they did 20 and 30 years ago. The veins occassionally swell near the ankles, etc. Should I wear nude nylons, sheer colored stockings or go bare.
  • geekymom57
    Options
    I have a question about dresses and legware. I have started wearing more skirts and dresses and need advice on what to wear on my legs in the summer. This winter I have done really well with tights. For example, I have some smartwool Estonia black tights that look phenomenal and are warm and extremely comfortable. But should I cover my legs somehow in the spring and summer. I know that the young people don't. My legs are attractively shaped, however I can't pretend that they look like they did 20 and 30 years ago. The veins occassionally swell near the ankles, etc. Should I wear nude nylons, sheer colored stockings or go bare.
    I think the answer to this may involve both regional and workplace norms. You're right that many "young folks" don't wear hose/stockings in the warmer weather and actually, I've even seen it in colder weather (I'm in Wisconsin) in my office setting. I am a 50-something and remember when you would never ever ever go bare-legged at work. I am quite fair, so for me, in warmer weather the wearing hose or not is in large part driven by how well my pasty white skin goes with what I'm wearing!

So what I've learned recently is tha it seems that even in conservative workplaces, it is now acceptable for women of all ages to not cover their legs, with the appropriateness determined by the circumstances. A close female family member is an executive at a conservative, national insurance company and I was truly shocked to learn that even she sometimes does not wear hose. So--ask around, observe people in your community and workplace, and decide what you're comfortable with. How's that for not being very helpful?
  • 1953Judith
    Options
    I am a mid-westerner too. I know it is okay to go without stockings at my work. I am one of the few women there and the second oldest and the oldest female in a leadership position. The younger women do not wear stockings when they wear skirts and dresses. I was raised to wear nylons with skirts and my legs are not what they were when I was young. I want to look good but not like I am pretending to be young. I guess continue to watch and observe. I'm glad to know what they are doing in Wisconsin jives with Minnesota.
  • LastHopeForMe
    Options
    @krissie_d this webpage is awesome! =) she's very good to change clothes cutting and sewing.
    Mmmmhh... I'll try something with my older clothes. I hope I will not mess up too much with them, ahaha!
  • 1953Judith
    Options
    Some of you have offered to "Friend" me which I so appreciate. I am not doing the friend aspect of MFP yet (or possible ever), but if I do I'd love to add all of you. Maybe I'll try to set up a MFP "Style Advice" group at some point.

Meanwhile I did go to a consignment store yesterday. I bought two fitted jackets to wear with pants -- a 16P Tahari brown jacket and a size 12 Karen Kane black jacket. I also bought a pair of size 10 pants. Totatal purchases, under $40.00. I look and feel good in all the items. My sister sent me back my three favorite dresses I gave her a few years ago when I thought I would never fit them again. One is a Roaring 20s like chiffon dress that I fell in love with but never wore, another a cute summer madris dress and the last my very favorite -- a red corduroy dress with black trim like Lucy Ricardo would have worn. Alas the very favorite red corduroy will never fit again (fits at the sleeves, the waist, the back, but there is a 4" gap at the bust). The other two look spectacular.

I feel so good about all this and again want to say how much I appreciate the input on fashion. I expect I will be asking for advice a lot as I get re-used caring about and having fun with my clothes.
  • geekymom57
    Options
    Great update and congratulations on moving ahead! And your purchases (a size 16, 12, and 10) illustrate how meaningless/arbitrary sizes and the like can be--including using one's weight as the only measure of progress.

And don't rule out that favorite dress with the gap in the chest just yet. You never know what miracles a good, well-fitting bra can work especially once you hit your final goal. Keep it for inspiration or perhaps nostalgia.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go bare-legged with a dress - but then, I live in Ireland, it rarely gets warm enough!

Well, I have worn ankle length skirts or dresses with sandals and no tights/ stockings. But anything that's going to show a bit of leg I would feel uncomfortable with bare flesh, unless I was on holiday.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Google Missus Smarty Pants - she has some good ideas.
    Re: leg wear - I wear tights in winter when it is cold (ish) but never in summer. I do see some women (all ages) on the bus wearing stockings in summer but that's fairly rare here. I guess it's going to vary as to the norm in your part of the world and the activities that you do, but don't worry about how your legs look, I see all kinds of people during my day and I rarely focus on their legs!
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Some of you have offered to "Friend" me which I so appreciate. I am not doing the friend aspect of MFP yet (or possible ever), but if I do I'd love to add all of you. Maybe I'll try to set up a MFP "Style Advice" group at some point.

Meanwhile I did go to a consignment store yesterday. I bought two fitted jackets to wear with pants -- a 16P Tahari brown jacket and a size 12 Karen Kane black jacket. I also bought a pair of size 10 pants. Totatal purchases, under $40.00. I look and feel good in all the items. My sister sent me back my three favorite dresses I gave her a few years ago when I thought I would never fit them again. One is a Roaring 20s like chiffon dress that I fell in love with but never wore, another a cute summer madris dress and the last my very favorite -- a red corduroy dress with black trim like Lucy Ricardo would have worn. Alas the very favorite red corduroy will never fit again (fits at the sleeves, the waist, the back, but there is a 4" gap at the bust). The other two look spectacular.

I feel so good about all this and again want to say how much I appreciate the input on fashion. I expect I will be asking for advice a lot as I get re-used caring about and having fun with my clothes.

Take that red corduroy dress to a tailor! A good one can probably take the bodice apart and pull it in at the bust so that you can wear it. (If it's sleeveless, it's not actually all that hard.) Cheap? Not necessarily -- depends on the tailor -- but it's your very favorite dress. Why NOT?