Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    And calling healthy organic products ''rabbit food'' is quite extremist IMO.

umm ok not sure if that WAS directed at me lol, but it's not my term of choice, which is why I put it in quotes, it's just what everyone else is using as a blanket term for healthy food.
    Oh wow. You people are rediculously sensitive. Rabbits eat vegetables. I've never had a rabbit sniff the lettuce he was getting and refusing it if it wasn't organic. So just for all of you hyper sensitive people out there RABBIT FOOD=VEGGIES not "healthy organic products"

Rabbits in their native habitat though are going to eat what nature provides and most of that is more likely to be organic than some lettuce from a grocery store that is probably genetically modified.
  • _xoxok
    _xoxok Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ok. I LOVE THIS POST! This is sooooooo true, & a lot of people need to hear it. Thank you for posting this!!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    This would be true provided the 2 burgers contained the same ingredients. But if McD burger contains fillers or added nitrates that are not in the natural burger, then your body must deal with those as well. Where the burger comes from doesn't matter for digestion, but what it contains certainly could.
    Nitrates and nitrites aren't at bad as people will claim. In fact they are both in regular vegetables. So if you eat some spinach along with that "natural" hamburger, you're adding nitrite to the meal.
    As for cancer from nitrates and nitrites several decades ago, some researchers raised the possibility that nitrites could be linked to cancer in laboratory rats. This suggestion received a lot of media attention. What received less media attention, however, was when it turned out that they were wrong. Indeed, the National Academy of Sciences, the American Cancer Society and the National Research Council all agree that there's no cancer risk from consuming sodium nitrite.

Any other "stuff" gets filtered through your liver. Unless you have a bad liver or compromised immune system, chances are you'll be just fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! :drinker:
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    ORLB, now that is funny!! I used to be assimilated but I did escape. There are still some traces left but for the most part, I just try to eat balanced meals whether that is organic or not. RESISTANCE IS NOT FUTILE!!!
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I freaking love this post because A.) It's hilarious... and 2.) it has been my mantra for 2-1/2 years now. I eat "NORMAL" food and over the last 2-1/2 years I've lost me nearly 240 pounds. If that isn't a success story to put in your book of a calorie is a calorie, I don't know what is.

I don't like tofu and weird foods... but I've learned to make normal foods work for me. It's all about keeping track of your calories and moving. PERIOD... END OF STORY!

Yours is about the most amazing success story I have read on MFP! You rock girl!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    ORLB :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cry: :cry: :cry: :heart: :heart: :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Real quick here: for those "healthy eaters" who think that what they eat now as "normal" food, do you think that if everyone "normally" ate that way, they'd be overweight or obese? I'm betting the answer is no.
    So since the majority of overweight and obese people probably didn't get that way from eating whole grains, vegetables, whole foods etc., then wouldn't the processed, junk, high sugar, high fat foods actually be the norm?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • charlieduc
    Options
    LIKE...I eat what I want when I want to. The difference for me is self control and moderation. If I start telling myself that I cannot have this or that then I will begin to resent what I am doing. This site has taught me that I can eat what I want and that I am okay with little losses. It is all about the big picture. Thanks for posting this...I guarantee you that my diary is not full of fruits and veggies. Yes I try to fit them in, but it does not always happen.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. I've lost 22.5 lbs that way. A pound a week. The healthy way. I don't want to go any faster than that & have flabby skin or hate the fact that all my friends get to go out for food or drinks & I'm huddled in the corner with my "good" food. I have dessert almost every day ~ in moderation. I snack all day & still have room for my meals. Have I learned to have healthier snacks over the course of time? Sure. But I'm not going to have a meltdown because hubby wants to hit Taco Bell for lunch one day. I have definitely learned portion control and changed my eating habits for the better.

Kudos to you for speaking the truth! :happy:
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Betzee16
    Betzee16 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

However, if you take the time to rid yourself of the cravings, then you don't miss that crap and no longer want it.

I prefer to live that way.
    [/quote]

I agree that to say you will never have french fries, pizza, candy, etc. ever again is unrealistic.and occasionally having these foods should not mess up your weight loss. But for me personally, some foods are addictive to me such as chocolate, cookies, cakes....and once I have one, I want to have more, and then that's all I end up thinking about. But I haven't had chocolate for 20 days (and I love milk chocolate, especially chocolate covered Oreos) and my craving has gone away already for it. In fact, while reading this, I thought I ought to treat myself to some Hershey Kisses I have in the fridge, and then I realized that I really didn't want it. I was totally amazed that I felt this way. So for me, at least, staying completely away works better...and killed the cravings for most sweets. Now if I could get that to work for McDonald's french fries...
  • pauljsolie
    Options
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think this is a bit of an oversimplification of both sides.

I wouldn't call processed foods normal. They might be habit, but the fact that half the ingredients in most processed foods aren't food at all I don't think is normal. That's just me.

I enjoy eating healthy. I almost never eat salads personally, but I like my organic turkey burgers on whole wheat buns with organic romain lettuce and tomato and cheese with a side of sweet potato fries. The whole meal is less than 500 calories and it's all healthy and I don't consider it a "swap" for any food I'd rather have. My life got so much better when I learned to cook great food in a clean and healthy way. After about two weeks of cleaning up my eating habits I stopped craving any of those foods. I haven't eaten fast food in 10 weeks. I've gone out to eat a couple of times but our resteraunt choices, my choices off the menu, and my portion sizes have changed a lot. I do not treat food as a reward, even if it tastes amazing.

But here's the thing. I didn't jump straight into clean, healthy food when I started losing weight. The changes I made were slow and deliberate. One week I swapped out our regular skim milk for organic. Then I swapped out most of our cheeses for organic and low fat. Then one week I swapped out our thin skinned veggies with organic versions. I researched what foods are best eaten organic and swapped those out. I think all in all my grocery bill has gone up about $15 overall. Worth it, I think, especially since we don't really spend money eating out anymore.

Eating this way is a personal choice and not one I regret. I don't miss any food in particular and I still make pizza and burgers and chinese food at home. I still have desert. There are still some processed foods in my diet, but not as much. I don't think it's just a scale thing. For me it's the way I feel. I feel better and I like not craving certain foods anymore. I like controlling what I eat and when. If you don't want to do it this way, that's fine, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it either.

EXACTLY. I know exactly what you mean but mostly because I'm your roommate and we're eating almost the same things!

I used to chain drink Diet Cokes and end up downing close to 6 cans a day. After I stopped drinking them (and haven't had any in almost 10 weeks!) my insane cravings for sweets went away. Now, I still have sweets but I'm eating healthier overall.

Normal food isn't full of chemicals. When did that become normal?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!

OP: You are awesome. Just sayin'
  • PaulS70
    Options
    If someone already said this then I apologize... I'm not reading 15 pages of posts.

Being thin does not always cause health and happiness.

Many people eat to optimize their health and don't care / don't obsess about their weight. Whole foods are the best sources to draw nutrients for feeding your body and maximize health. It is very possible to be thin and unhealthy or thin and malnourished.

That being said, many people in the ORLB follow an 80/20 eating schedule (80% rainbow lettuce 20% sinful / not perfect) or have sporadic "cheat days."
  • Jasabell08
    Options
    I've been eating normal food all year. Lost 43 pounds doing it. Portions are KEY!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    For a serious reply this time...

Weight loss is all about calorie restriction, however you can do it.

Good health, however, requires proper nutrition and exercise. It's important to note that people should do what works for them. There are plenty of people who are healthy and eat cheeseburgers, white carbs, and sugar. It's all in how you control it and how your body handles it. I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that higher veggie and fruit intake is a good thing for supplying nutrients and fiber though (unless you have a physical ailment that would prevent it).
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    I think price is a major roadblock to healthier eating followed by convinience. I'm sort of fortunate to be on furlough right now so I have the time to devote to eating better. Hopefully I will be able to sustain these new habits when I go back to work.
  • CAMackay90
    Options
    HI!!

You are totally right!! I have managed to lose 34lbs in just under a year and I have changed my body so much. But i havent been limiting myself to the food I enjoy. If i know im having a night out or meeting the girls for supper ill make sure I watch what I eat, Count my calories and do an extra hard stint at the gym. One of the girls i work with was so strict with her diet. and yes she lost alot of weight but now shes worried about putting the weight back on quickly because of it.
    I am always happy because i know if im having a hard day at work and i fancy a bit of chocolate, then i can have one.
    Im glad someone finally had a rant about it, I moan to my friends about it who tell me I should just eat salads etc.

Thanks!